• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Best time for S-Rank Renegade mission: 4min 48 seconds.

Tranq all the soldiers in the opening LZ/Prison camp area, run to the road, tranq the wandering guard in the base on the left, climb tower, wait for truck to leave area, snipe Glaz, hide for a few seconds, snipe Plaitz, call chopper, jump down and run to LZ. Done.

Anyone got a better strategy for S-Rank?

eXistor

I'm currently in the process of writing a piece on the money value of Ground Zeroes and I was looking for some help, could some of you reply with your final play times across the whole game, including side ops?

I would really appreciate it, thanks!

As of now a few minutes shy of 18 hours, but I'm still working on getting S-rankings on all the Hard missions and in a few days I can get started on Raiden's mission when it releases.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Bought this yesterday. Is it weird of me to enjoy this demo more than any other PS4 game?

I fucking love it. The CQC is so damn awesome.

I'm excited to hear all the love this game is getting, I just ordered it and should be playing it tomorrow or tuesday!

I love how the gameplay looks so far, almost like a cross between the last several MGS games styles (the quicker pace of 2--compared to 3--of just barely jumping out sight rather than slowly stalking around and lying in wait, the ease of use and intuitiveness of Peace Walker, and the breadth of options of 4) all while having its own identity. I don't know if that's actually the case, just something I noticed based on what I've seen so far.

I'm really excited to just dig in and explore Camp Omega--one of my favorite aspects of MGS is the brilliant level design and attention to detail so I'm curious to both see what little things I can find, and see how the gameplay, enemy patrols, and mission structure works in a much larger environment than what MGS has seen before.

I'm disappointed that there's no boss fight in the game, and that I think I already know everything that happens based on the trailers I've seen and people's impressions, but I'm confident that I will have a blast with the game with all the missions and replayability.

And since Resogun is the best PS4 game I've played so far, and you guys are saying you like this more, I'm pretty damn excited.

while working on S-ranks i was throwing some soldiers into the water. one of them landed on a rock first, but it didn't count as a kill. what a relief.

anyway, i love this game. i think i'll have to do the marking missions next. sounds pretty boring to be honest.

SMZC

Bought this yesterday. Is it weird of me to enjoy this demo more than any other PS4 game?

I fucking love it. The CQC is so damn awesome.

I haven't had more fun, or more time spent with any other game this gen yet.

It's the best game I've played so far this gen

I got it yesterday, too, and I agree. Finally got that layer of dust off my PS4.

I am at almost 30 hours gametime and 92% completion

Best game so far this gen for me as well!

Ditto!

oldboss

The game is truly fun to play, but the dumbed down CQC and terrible ennemi AI are kind of a bummer. I hope at least the AI gets fixed by the time TPP releases.

Toxa

while working on S-ranks i was throwing some soldiers into the water. one of them landed on a rock first, but it didn't count as a kill. what a relief.

anyway, i love this game. i think i'll have to do the marking missions next. sounds pretty boring to be honest.

you can thrown the soldiers in the water and no kill ?

cackhyena

The game is truly fun to play, but the dumbed down CQC and terrible ennemi AI are kind of a bummer. I hope at least the AI gets fixed by the time TPP releases.
Play it on hard. The enemy doesn't put up with the same antics. They're no dumber than they ever were in previous MGS games on normal.

oldboss

Play it on hard. The enemy doesn't put up with the same antics. They're no dumber than they ever were in previous MGS games on normal.

I don't even bother with normal, have 22 hours playtime on hard, and 8 on normal ^^ I just S ranked the missions on normal difficulty to get 100% completion. Never used reflex mode, and just used the see-through-walls marking to complete those tedious "mark all enemies challenges".

I wonder about how dumb they are sometimes. A few days ago, I proceeded to test the AI a little. When you shoot with a non silenced weapon, they get cautious, without being able to pinpoint your location. Shoot another bullet while in that mode, and after contacting CP, they will rush to your exact location (without being alerted). Try it for yourself, you´ll see!

The most rage inducing bit though, are the vehicles. During the GZ main mission, I shot at the tires of a moving truck, while hidden and equipped with a silenced weapon, and even though I was at least 200m away, the driver got out of the truck and rushed to my position, without a moment of hesitation.

I hope this kind of buggy, immersion breaking AI gets fixed for TPP.

cackhyena

Hopefully. More complex AI is never a bad thing. I've had moments like you describe with them bearing down on me when they shouldn't know exactly where I am. When sneaking, I've had a decent time feeling like the AI is competent where their vision was as it should be and I couldn't pull any sort of nonsense off.

I wish they would implement things like I've talked about before as well. Traits, basically. Randomly generated each time you go in whee some guys are gung-ho about assaulting your position/fight back when you try to hold them up. Cowards who really do stay down the whole time when you make them lie down, instead of the average AI who should have the sense to get up not long after you've left the area. Guys who gang up on other soldiers for...reasons. Just a little livelier hub you waltz into. Different personalities bouncing around that really extend the gameplay even farther. That's my dream, anyway. We're one step closer to them seeming like real people, rather than the masked goofballs they've always been.

valkyre

I know I am probably ridiculously nitpicking now, but is it just me that wishes Big Boss would keep his weapon drawn like in the old games?

It just seems weird that with every shot he puts the weapon away. Maybe it makes sense when you are in cover and stealthed, but when there is an alarm it is just stupid to fire your weapon and then just put it back on your holster...

At least main weapons should stay equiped/drawn when in an alert mode. Its hilarious to fire a rocket, and then casualy holster it, move 5 feet unholdter it etc etc.

Plus its way cooler as an animation to walk with your weapon drawn :)

Anyway, like I said... nitpicking.

Quick question: do I need to play through Peace Walker before I get into GZ? I tried PW a few times but just couldn't get into it. Since the HD collection will be on sale next week I was thinking of giving it one more try before i start GZ.

"I did little adjustment at editing room again."

BmDyEKwCIAAkEQ6.jpg

oldboss

Hopefully. More complex AI is never a bad thing. I've had moments like you describe with them bearing down on me when they shouldn't know exactly where I am. When sneaking, I've had a decent time feeling like the AI is competent where their vision was as it should be and I couldn't pull any sort of nonsense off.

I wish they would implement things like I've talked about before as well. Traits, basically. Randomly generated each time you go in whee some guys are gung-ho about assaulting your position/fight back when you try to hold them up. Cowards who really do stay down the whole time when you make them lie down, instead of the average AI who should have the sense to get up not long after you've left the area. Guys who gang up on other soldiers for...reasons. Just a little livelier hub you waltz into. Different personalities bouncing around that really extend the gameplay even farther. That's my dream, anyway. We're one step closer to them seeming like real people, rather than the masked goofballs they've always been.

IIRC, MGS4 tried, to some extent, to make the battlefield seem a little more diverse as far as NPC reactions go. Rebels would often faint after seeing their comrades decimated (not entirely sure about that part though), or taking a bullet themselves, and you would even see foam coming from their mouths.

But that might also just have been implemented to stress the difference between nanomachine controlled PMC soldiers and 100% robot free humans.

About weapon holstering ... it didn't really bother me at first, but the more I play the more I wish it'd be back. CQC moves with an assault rifle were also pretty neat in MGS 4 :)

One more thing I don't really get is why BB can rotate with some weapons equipped while prone, and can't with others ... I'd like to throw a grenade or empty mag while lying on my back instead of being forced to flip around.

I realize this can be considered as nitpicking. So many people are saying the gameplay is more fluid compared to previous iterations(excluding PW), but with so many moves gone, I feel like I'm playing MGS2 again. What am I saying, even MGS2 had more thought put into its gameplay :p The only thing that is more fluid is a CQC system for people who can't push more than three buttons at a time. No combinations at all anymore, no knife, you have to get up and kick a ko'ed enemy in the face, at the expense of being seen, if you want to interrogate him again or just abuse the new hold-up system ... and the list goes on.

While the game remains really enjoyable from a stealth perspective, I have the feeling that it doesn't really make you say : "wow! I need this", like it was the case for every numbered game in the series. Except maybe for BB's new animations. With this finally being "The game Kojima has always wanted to make", I was expecting more than that gameplay wise. One button CQC was fine for a PSP game.

Batzi

Banned
With this finally being "The game Kojima has always wanted to make", I was expecting more than that gameplay wise. One button CQC was fine for a PSP game.

That game is MGSV. GZ is just its prologue. Wait for The Phantom Pain. That's the game we've been waiting for, trust me.

oldboss

That game is MGSV. GZ is just its prologue. Wait for The Phantom Pain. That's the game we've been waiting for, trust me.

Yeah, well that's the problem. GZ is supposed to give a taste of what TPP is going to be. Kojima himself said it served as a tutorial. I doubt that, mechanically speaking, TPP will offer something substantially different from what we have in GZ. Maybe some tweaks here and there, but I imagine the core gameplay will not be any different. I will still enjoy it, I'm 100% sure, in the same way I enjoy GZ, but I wouldn't say no to a more complex gameplay in MGS6 ;)

Batzi

Banned
Yeah, well that's the problem. GZ is supposed to give a taste of what TPP is going to be. Kojima himself said it served as a tutorial. I doubt that, mechanically speaking, TPP will offer something substantially different from what we have in GZ. Maybe some tweaks here and there, but I imagine the core gameplay will not be any different. I will still enjoy it, I'm 100% sure, in the same way I enjoy GZ, but I wouldn't say no to a more complex gameplay in MGS6 ;)

Mother Base management alone will be spectacular. The ability to walk into your own base, manage your unit (Diamond Dogs), hire/fire employees from different departments (soldiers, medic, intel, etc), have a variety of weapons and items to develop/order and customize is phenomenal. Take Peace Walker and imagine it on the PS4 recreated with more details and depth. That's going to be core gameplay mechanic in TPP, something GZ doesn't have. Not to mention character customization (sneaking suit, different gears etc) and hunt for food supposedly coming back according to Kojima. Man all this in an open world game would make MGSV the ultimate open world real stealth simulation experience.

oldboss

Mother Base management alone will be spectacular. The ability to walk into your own base, manage your unit (Diamond Dogs), hire/fire employees from different departments (soldiers, medic, intel, etc), have a variety of weapons and items to develop/order and customize is phenomenal. Take Peace Walker and imagine it on the PS4 recreated with more details and depth. That's going to be core gameplay mechanic in TPP, something GZ doesn't have. Not to mention character customization (sneaking suit, different gears etc) and hunt for food supposedly coming back according to Kojima. Man all this in an open world game would make MGSV the ultimate open world real stealth simulation experience.

Yeah, I know about all that stuff, but I fail to see how base management improves core stealth gameplay mechanics. Setting that aside, I'm pretty thrilled about it though.

cackhyena

They already mentioned adding in a new element to lure guards. Hopefully they took to heart the requests they got on Twitter as well. I'm sure E3 will reveal some kind of extra layer in there...beyond the cardboard box. You know he'll throw that in there at the end.

Batzi

Banned
Yeah, I know about all that stuff, but I fail to see how base management improves core stealth gameplay mechanics. Setting that aside, I'm pretty thrilled about it though.
Well I was mainly talking about Kojima's vision finally becoming a reality. He is taking advantage of Big Boss' transformation to showcase the gameplay he always wanted to create. MGS6 may not be as exciting :p
They already mentioned adding in a new element to lure guards. Hopefully they took to heart the requests they got on Twitter as well. I'm sure E3 will reveal some kind of extra layer in there...beyond the cardboard box. You know he'll throw that in there at the end.
The patch coming May 1st should be fixing bugs based on user feedback.

oldboss

Better have the best cardboard box physics ever.

cackhyena

Well I was mainly talking about Kojima's vision finally becoming a reality. He is taking advantage of Big Boss' transformation to showcase the gameplay he always wanted to create. MGS6 may not be as exciting :p

The patch coming May 1st should be fixing bugs based on user feedback.

Like what? Did they say anything about that?

Playing through MGS4 again and I'm remembering why I hated the "press Triangle to cling to walls" feature. It feels so unnatural compared to previous MGS games and Ground Zeroes. Also those damned contextual button icons that you can't turn off.

Batzi

Banned
Every MGS game is "the game Kojima always wanted to make".
Not at all. Every MGS game Kojima created was a disappointment to him due to "hardware limitations". This is the first time in 27 years Kojima admitted that he finally managed to create the game he always envisioned back when he first created Metal Gear in 1987.
Like what? Did they say anything about that?
They didn't specify anything. They said that a new patch and a game update is coming. The game update is Extra Ops and the patch is ???

Let's wait and see.

In the scene where Big Boss finds Chico in the cage; Chico has screws drilled into his heels to prevent him from walking... yet, once the scene is over, Big Boss easily picks Chico up as if nothing is bolting him down. Did I miss something in the cutscene showing Big Boss remove the screws or is this just an oversight?

Liamc723

In the scene where Big Boss finds Chico in the cage; Chico has screws drilled into his heels to prevent him from walking... yet, once the scene is over, Big Boss easily picks Chico up as if nothing is bolting him down. Did I miss something in the cutscene showing Big Boss remove the screws or is this just an oversight?

I didn't think the bolts were attached to anything? I think they just go through his feet to stop him from walking.

I didn't think the bolts were attached to anything? I think they just go through his feet to stop him from walking.

Ah... I thought for some reason that the bolts were screwed into the ground, but it would make sense for them just to be bolted into his heels to prevent him from walking. Thanks for clearing that up. Stupid mistake on my part.

That is fucking ridiculous. Sooooooo many different ways to play this game.

Is Resogun really that good? It looks kinda bland to me, but I haven't played it.

Oh and Augemitbutter, marking missions are very fun, especially because you don't have to worry about alerts and shit, provided you are not trying to S-Rank the mission. I love sitting on top of buildings blowing up a barrel and marking all the soldiers that come to investigate. I normally kill all the enemies on the base, too, (make sure you mark them of course) so I can explore and drive tanks and shit. Marking missions are awesome.

EDIT: Oh, and I am now in the process of listening to all the cassettes, etc. Really fleshes out the story, though kinda boring just to sit and listen to.

oldboss

As you said, the screws are drilled into Chico's achilles tendon only to prevent him from walking, it's not like he's attached to the ground. What is strange though, is that he manages to stand up in the helicopter (right?)

What is strange though, is that he manages to stand up in the helicopter (right?)

I believe he is on his knees in the helicopter. It actually shows him briefly on his knees in the chopper. In other shots it shows him from the waist up looking very short, implying that he is on his knees.

Top Bottom