• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

cackhyena

No alerts, and worry about extraction after the marking. You can easily mark all dudes before that one prisoner is in any danger. After that, have no alerts, rescue everyone and you can still easily s rank if you want to.

That's awesome.

Man there's so much detail in this game, it's staggering. Like I just found out you can cut the power to the base and stalk around like a badass in the dark,

Did you mark the armored vehicle? There's one. And did you go through the admin building?

Man there's so much detail in this game, it's staggering. Like I just found out you can cut the power to the base and stalk around like a badass in the dark,

Unless you don't tranq the guys that come to check it out. They sometimes turn the lights back out.

cackhyena

I don't think you need to mark the armored vehicle. Not even sure that shows up till you get Paz out. If you mark everyone before touching any prisoners, you are done. The extras that fill the map after you start extracting don't count. They force it to count if you go for the objectives first, though.

Well, on the AA mission I had to mark the armored vehicle to get the full count. Could he also miss the large truck that follows the jeep a few minutes after the jeep drives by the beginning area of the mission?

Probably just missing a few guys in the admin building though.

cackhyena

Oh, I'm just talking for GZ. No clue about the others. Yeah, even though the jeep exits the map, I think you gotta tag him before he goes.

Turns out I must have gotten it at some point because I used the rest of that play through to find the xof patches and when I was done it said I finished the trial an hour into it.

I honestly cannot believe how much time I've sunk into this. I was fully prepared for just a quick story and side mission run and then moving on to the next game in my backlog but it's really gotten its hooks me. The gameplay is just an absolute blast.

I shudder to think how much time I'm going to put into TPP if this is any indication with only a slice of the content.

I bought this and ran through the GZ mission (spent about 2 hours) before Infamous and TR, but once I got back to it I realized just how fucking awesome it really is. I can spend hours just exploring, shooting shit, and blowing shit up. It reminds me of my playtimes with GTA-- just fucking around, seeing all that I can do with the game. It is easily my most played PS4 "game."

I hope the PP has areas like this (small, contained) and not just one huge open world. I would love to be able to return to areas to just explore and fuck around with trials and extra missions.

I bought this and ran through the GZ mission (spent about 2 hours) before Infamous and TR, but once I got back to it I realized just how fucking awesome it really is. I can spend hours just exploring, shooting shit, and blowing shit up. It reminds me of my playtimes with GTA-- just fucking around, seeing all that I can do with the game. It is easily my most played PS4 "game."

I hope the PP has areas like this (small, contained) and not just one huge open world. I would love to be able to return to areas to just explore and fuck around with trials and extra missions.

I'm pretty sure TPP won't be one continuous world, but each mission will be an area like Camp Omega only larger (although I suppose there could be areas of comparable size as well).

The more I play this game the better it looks. Like, fuck the lighting is just sooooo good, perhaps the best I've ever seen in a game. Also the animations in this game are incredible, especiall the facial animatuons? Although I wish Snake did a roll after dropping because his drop animation is the one silly one, and although the enemy death animations are cool I wish there was a bit more rag doll to them so two guys next to eachother don't die in the same exact way. I wouldn't mind at all if The Phantom Pain didn't improve the graphics at all if that meant keeping 60fps, because the game is just so incredibly smooth to play.

I've put 8 hours into GZ so far and I still have so much to do in it. I have a few more tapes to collect, I've only done 1 trial, I haven't S ranked anything yet, and I still haven't touched Hard mode or tried the game without reflex and enemy marking. TPP is literally going to have endless content and replayability...

Also Deja Vu is lol. I love that they actually put a hint
on the back of the box
. What's the bonus you get for acing the quiz? Kaz said he would give it to me later...

Also Deja Vu is lol. I love that they actually put a hint
on the back of the box
. What's the bonus you get for acing the quiz? Kaz said he would give it to me later...

New skins for Boss: Snake MGS1 for normal and Grey Fox for hard.
And what hint are you talking about?

Oh, tomorrow the Jamais Vu mission is available! or Deja Vu for Xboners.

Interesting about PP world design. And you are right about the graphics--amazing. Boss in direct light is incredibly realistic.

BTW: Awesome avatar.

New skins for Boss: Snake MGS1 for normal and Grey Fox for hard.

Oh, tomorrow the Jamais Vu mission is available! or Deja Vu for Xboners.

Interesting about PP world design. And you are right about the graphics--amazing. Boss in direct light is incredibly realistic.

BTW: Awesome avatar.

Ah gotcha, do the scenes change on Hard?

Oh nice! I hear Jamais Vu is not as good as Deja Vu, but I'll take more missions for sure.

What makes the lighting even better is the fact that you can shoot out almost every single light in the game. It's pretty crazy.I love the sky in the AA mission as well, it looks super lifelike. I think Kojima said they used a special sky shader for the PS4 version, and it will be in TPP as well. Although I'm not sure if the sky shader is on just that mission others, but I think that o'neil certainly looks the best.

Haha thanks, it's a great film.

Nvzman

So now that the 1.70 patch is out for PS4 I made this as a test:
My fastest run
I know 11 minutes is kind of pathetic for a fast run of it, but I tried to stay as stealthy as possible (also sorry for the reflex, I was playing on normal anyway).
Also, Deja Vu is an awesome mission and I can't wait to get jamais vu tomorrow.

Ah gotcha, do the scenes change on Hard?

What makes the lighting even better is the fact that you can shoot out almost every single light in the game.

Haha thanks, it's a great film.

Not that I am aware of, but I sometimes don't notice the minor details. Shooting out every light should have been a trial. lol

A very "meta" film.

Link isn't working for me Nvz.

SJRB

Gold Member
I guess it's absent because of balancing, but having the Mosin as an unlock would've been cool.

I tried to stay as stealthy as possible

Not a dig, but I didn't see much stealth... :)

You could get a faster run by not weaving back and forth through the camps. Pick one side of the base and follow that path for attack and escape. Unless you are rescuing all the prisoners, but I don't think you would do that for a speedrun.

And there is more tranq ammo in some of the guardposts.

Nvzman

Not a dig, but I didn't see much stealth... :)

You could get a faster run by not weaving back and forth through the camps. Pick one side of the base and follow that path for attack and escape. Unless you are rescuing all the prisoners, but I don't think you would do that for a speedrun.

And there is more tranq ammo in some of the guardposts.
Yeah this was literally made on the fly, so it was more like "trying to stay as stealthy as possible within 15 minutes so my USB drive doesn't fill out"
But thanks for the help, and it's kind of a shame there aren't any other stun/sleep guns, that stun shotgun in that one mission was pretty cool.

valkyre

folks have we heard any confirmation that phantom pain will also run at this wonderfull 60 fps framerate?

Imp know it seems kinda obvious that it will be, since GZ is all that, but confirmation wouldnt hurt.

Nvzman

folks have we heard any confirmation that phantom pain will also run at this wonderfull 60 fps framerate?

Imp know it seems kinda obvious that it will be, since GZ is all that, but confirmation wouldnt hurt.

Actually I'd like to know this too.
The PS4 version being at 60fps made a huge difference for me. Bonus points for not even dropping a frame once.

The PS4 version being at 60fps made a huge difference for me. Bonus points for not even dropping a frame once.

I got some frame drops when I called in a helicopter and had a bunch of POWs, but yeah, other than that its 60fps all the way through. Usually I'm not too picky about frame rates (playing MGS2 at 30 most of the time on Vita didn't bother me one bit) but for this game I think the experience is made a lot better by 60fps, it's just so fast paced and smooth. I really really hope Phantom Pain is 60 as well.

JayEH

To make the game more interesting, I'm currently doing "immersion playthroughs": Hard, no reflex, no HUD, no subtitles.

It's been really fun so far. Just beat the Ground Zeroes mission with an A ranking, got caught right at the end!.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
How are you guys measuring frames on a television screen?

cackhyena

To make the game more interesting, I'm currently doing "immersion playthroughs": Hard, no reflex, no HUD, no subtitles.

It's been really fun so far. Just beat the Ground Zeroes mission with an A ranking, got caught right at the end!.
I need to do this as well. I haven't tried no HUD or subs yet. Haven't played in a couple weeks at least. Gonna be rusty.

this game has weird AI sometimes. i was holding up a soldier on a road with an armored vehicle roaming nearby. then the vehicle stopped at the soldier, doing nothing. i was expecting the driver to come out or something, but nothing happened. he just drove away after a minute.

Grinchy

Banned
I just finished it for the first time (finally) and thought it was pretty damn awesome. I borrowed a copy from my brother so I wasn't let down by the "value" of the package. The cutscenes/storytelling are top notch and I am very excited for Phantom Pain now. The graphics looked really damn good to me as well. This does not look to me like a cross-gen game. This almost looks like a game built just for the PS4. I don't quite understand any comments about the graphics not being great.

Obviously, beating the first/main mission is only the start, so I don't want to get too deep into whether or not I like the gameplay changes yet. I like some things and dislike others, but it's short and I need to mess with it some more and try the side missions. One thing I strongly dislike is the auto-aim/magnetism. It fucked up my shots more often than it helped.

cackhyena

I just finished it for the first time (finally) and thought it was pretty damn awesome. I borrowed a copy from my brother so I wasn't let down by the "value" of the package. The cutscenes/storytelling are top notch and I am very excited for Phantom Pain now. The graphics looked really damn good to me as well. This does not look to me like a cross-gen game. This almost looks like a game built just for the PS4. I don't quite understand any comments about the graphics not being great.

Obviously, beating the first/main mission is only the start, so I don't want to get too deep into whether or not I like the gameplay changes yet. I like some things and dislike others, but it's short and I need to mess with it some more and try the side missions. One thing I strongly dislike is the auto-aim/magnetism. It fucked up my shots more often than it helped.
Play the side missions and you'll start to see the warts. Day time exposes it's cross gen nature. It's still pretty good looking, though.

jett

D-Member
The Jamais Vu mission was _okay_, xbox owners kinda got gypped, initially anyway. Do the suits you unlock do anything?

I kinda doubt they'd address the clipping. I figure they'd have to go in there and change animation to do that.

That's true, I didn't think of that. The only bugs I can think of that I experienced would be idroid taking too long to display the map or mission info, the credits of GZ mission freaking out and hiccuping for a couple minutes, and some minor AI stuff.

cackhyena

PS4 or 3?

For whatever reasons, I've never had the iDroid take more than maybe a second to load up in the game on PS4. DL version, so I dunno, maybe that helps?

PS4 retail. The map issue is more frequent (it will show enemy positions and objective markers but not the map image itself) but the mission info loading was especially bad in Déjà Vu.

There's the Uragan-5 Pistol, which is basically a stun gun that knockouts people in one hit. Makes a ton of noise.

Ohhhh, I didn't realize that was a knockout gun, I only fired off a few potshots with it in the rescue side op. That's pretty neat. Is there a visual signifier in the HUD for what weapon is lethal and what's not? Like in MGS2 lethal weapons were red and non lethal were blue.

Top Bottom