• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Got this game/demo yesterday, and I started playing today. Took me 2 hours to finish it, and since I'm a veteran of the series(and love third person shooters), that gave me more than enough time to fool around with the system. I have to say that now I have more hype than ever for the Phantom Pain.

That said, this was a total ripoff from Konami, and they should be ashamed that they pulled shit like this. I'm sort of glad that at least I'll be gettiing $17 trade-in value from amazon, or I would've lost it. This should had been a digital download only and free or 5$ tops. Or they should had try to include two areas. Such a ripoff.

Liamc723

Got this game/demo yesterday, and I started playing today. Took me 2 hours to finish it, and since I'm a veteran of the series(and love third person shooters), that gave me more than enough time to fool around with the system. I have to say that now I have more hype than ever for the Phantom Pain.

That said, this was a total ripoff from Konami, and they should be ashamed that they pulled shit like this. I'm sort of glad that at least I'll be gettiing $17 trade-in value from amazon, or I would've lost it. This should had been a digital download only and free or 5$ tops. Or they should had try to include two areas. Such a ripoff.

If you were a "veteran" of the series, you wouldn't be getting rid of the game after 2 hours. There's a hell of a lot more content to play besides the main mission.

If you were a "veteran" of the series, you wouldn't be getting rid of the game after 2 hours. There's a hell of a lot more content to play besides the main mission.

A "veteran" of the series is someone that has played all the games and finished them (which I've done). Why is that in question? Did you bought it for the side missions or the main mission/story? Smh.

Edit: Why would someone be defending the anti-consumer practices of Konami anyways? I fell for this one, but never again.

Liamc723

A "veteran" of the series is someone that has played all the games and finished them (which I've done). Why is that in question? Did you bought it for the side missions or the main mission/story? Smh.

If you've finished all the games, you clearly enjoy the series, so I don't see why you'd get rid of it after 2 hours when there's all the side missions to play. I bought the game for the whole package, and only playing the main mission and then getting rid of the game is doing yourself a disservice. It's your loss.

There's literally nothing against the consumer, we got the game at a discounted price and a lot of content, once again your loss.

cackhyena

Edit: Why would someone be defending the anti-consumer practices of Konami anyways? I fell for this one, but never again.
If this is your line of thinking, you could have just watched what little story there was online.

If you've finished all the games, you clearly enjoy the series, so I don't see why you'd get rid of it after 2 hours when there's all the side missions to play. I bought the game for the whole package, and only playing the main mission and then getting rid of the game is doing yourself a disservice. It's your loss.

Not all of us buy games to play the "whole package"(what?). The main mission is the package, and there is only 1, and a very short one at that. In two hours I managed to play it 3 times!!

Edit: cackhyena, I was interested to know how the new MGZ V played, I kind of need to play it, not to watch it, to do that. I guess I'll need to start watching my games from now on.

Liamc723

Not all of us buy games to play the "whole package"(what?). The main mission is the package, and there is only 1, and a very short one at that. In two hours I managed to play it 3 times!!

No, the package is everything that is available to play in the game. You're only wasting your money by only playing the main mission.

No, the package is everything that is available to play in the game. You're only wasting your money by only playing the main mission.

Thanks for telling me how I'm supposed to play my games. I'll take that in consideration.
sarcasm

Edit: So this qualifies as a game for you and we got it at discounted price? Welp no wonder that industry is like this now. It is my fault to have overpaid for it, but I'm a huge fan of the series. Just don't pretend this is not a demo and that is worth $25.

Liamc723

Thanks for telling me how I'm supposed to play my games. I'll take that in consideration.
sarcasm

I'm not telling you how to play anything, I'm telling you that you actually really are wasting your money by not engaging with any of the other content on offer. Ground Zeroes is not a rip-off.

Liamc723

Yes it is a ripoff. A huge ripoff actually.

Yeah, it is if you only play the story mission, which is about 1/5 of the content actually available. Play everything on offer and you'll be more than getting your moneys worth. Do you buy an RPG and plow through the main story in about 10 hours and then get rid of that too?

It is a ripoff but why not try to get a bit more value out of it by playing the extra content? I don't think a lot of people would deny that what Konami pulled with the price of this game was bullshit but you should try to get more of your money's worth since you already paid for it instead of complaining in this thread.

Yeah, it is if you only play the story mission, which is about 1/5 of the content actually available. Play everything on offer and you'll be more than getting your moneys worth. Do you buy an RPG and plow through the main story in about 10 hours and then get rid of that too?

I've actually never played an RPG that short, but I don't mind paying $60 day one for an 8 hours long game that I like and know I'm never touch again. If the Phantom Pain main mission ends being just a 8-10 hours long game I would be fine with it. But $30 for a <1 hour (playing it slow at that )main mission? No sorry that is a ripoff. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the minority.

Again is my fault, and I knew that I was buying a $30 dollar demo. I just never expected the ripoff to be as bad. As I said never again. No wonder a lot of people complained.

It is a ripoff but why not try to get a bit more value out of it by playing the extra content? I don't think a lot of people would deny that what Konami pulled with the price of this game was bullshit but you should try to get more of your money's worth since you already paid for it instead of complaining in this thread.

If I hold to the game longer I won't be getting $17 dollar back unfortunately. And I'm not complaining, just pointing it out. Maybe a lurker reads my complain and stays away as I should have.

Liamc723

I've actually never played an RPG that short, but I don't mind paying $60 day one for an 8 hours long game that I like and know I'm never touch again. If the Phantom Pain main mission ends being just a 8-10 hours long game I would be fine with it. But $30 for a <1 hour (playing it slow at that )main mission? No sorry that is a ripoff. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the minority.

Again is my fault, and I knew that I was buying a $30 dollar demo. I just never expected the ripoff to be as bad. As I said never again. No wonder a lot of people complained.

It's only a rip off because you're only bothered with playing the main mission and nothing else, you're ripping yourself off. You know someone people have gotten over 30 hours worth of play time out of this game right? You know the side missions contain extra pieces of story right?

It's only a rip off because you're only bothered with playing the main mission and nothing else, you're ripping yourself off. You know someone people have gotten over 30 hours worth of play time out of this game right? You know the side missions contain extra pieces of story right?

I think I should point out that I did enjoy my 2 hours with the game. As I first posted I thought it was excellent, and my hype for the main game is bigger than ever. But it should had been at most $5, and I'm being generous with that. My complain is the $25-30 (at amazon ps4) price tag. The game was excellent but fuck Konami.

Liamc723

I think I should point out that I did enjoy my 2 hours with the game. As I first posted I thought it was excellent, and my hype for the main game is bigger than ever. But it should had been at most $5, and I'm being generous with that. My complain is the $25-30 (at amazon ps4) price tag. The game was excellent but fuck Konami.

Then why not play and enjoy the side missions too?

cackhyena

Edit: cackhyena, I was interested to know how the new MGZ V played, I kind of need to play it, not to watch it, to do that. I guess I'll need to start watching my games from now on.
If you only got this yesterday, then I'm assuming you checked here at least once to get impressions on length sometime since release. Maybe elsewhere, too. Even for people in your exact line of thinking as far as feeling ripped off, I bet you get zero sympathy. You "had" to see how it played. That's on you for not waiting for a price drop.

Then why not play and enjoy the side missions too?

I usually don't play side missions due to my backlog/lack of time, so I expect publishers for the most part to include a meaty main mission. As we speak I'm actually playing Chrono trigger DS for the first time. And then I'll jump to the next game (Knack) and so on.

I was expecting a 2 hr main mission from this game to extend it at least to 3-4 hrs with multiple play throughs, that's not what I got. As you see I was not asking for much.

I'm not trying to troll you or anything btw, and I'm glad you are enjoying the time with the game. For me the value was not there unfortunately.

Liamc723

I usually don't play side missions due to my backlog/lack of time, so I expect publishers for the most part to include a meaty main mission. As we speak I'm actually playing Chrono trigger DS for the first time. And then I'll jump to the next game (Knack) and so on. .

That's your fault then, not the game or Konami.

Nvzman

Kaz, I'm already a demon

Fixed
No seriously, what are you two guys even trying to argue about?
It's $30 yeah, but first off why the hell would you only play 2 hours of the game and go "meh I'm done with the mission I don't need this game anymore" instead of just playing with the side missions for a bit? You spent your money. It's not like Konami knocked down your door and demanded you to buy the game at gun point.

This is really your fault for playing 15% of the entire game, then stopping.
I got it like a week or so ago and I'm addicted to this game, already put in around 8-10 hours, because it's very replayable. This is something to me that make the $30 price tag actually kind of reasonable (but it still is ridiculous anyway).

Liamc723

Fixed
No seriously, what are you two guys even trying to argue about?
It's $30 yeah, but first off why the hell would you only play 2 hours of the game and go "meh I'm done with the mission I don't need this game anymore" instead of just playing with the side missions for a bit? You spent your money. It's not like Konami knocked down your door and demanded you to buy the game at gun point.

Exactly what I've been saying, but the guy just won't listen.

-Deimos

I got it like a week or so ago and I'm addicted to this game, already put in around 8-10 hours, because it's very replayable. This is something to me that make the $30 price tag actually kind of reasonable (but it still is ridiculous anyway).

Some people don't like playing the same thing over and over again on the same map. Plus the minimal story. That's the reason most people call it a demo.

valkyre

Man... I just cant wait for PP to come out....

I am addicted to GZ.... I find myself forcing me to eject the disc from my PS4 and play something else, only to just go back to GZ after 30 mins or so...

I am so addicted that I am desperately looking for something new to read regarding TPP...

Only area I really would like to see some improvement are some technical issues, mainly pop up and collision detection.

But otherwise.... man... this game .... I just...no words!

SHL23

Banned
Something you have the choice to buy is not a ripoff. Its not like they forced you to buy it or theyll kick you out of your home

To gain Chico's Tape #7, all I have to do is extract the POW in the boiler room, right? Not extract all prisoners? I have tried to do this a few times and it never gives me the damn tape.

Nvzman

To gain Chico's Tape #7, all I have to do is extract the POW in the boiler room, right? Not extract all prisoners? I have tried to do this a few times and it never gives me the damn tape.

Are you sure you are doing the "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" Side-Op? It might be the wrong mission.

The tapes are great to listen to, just collected all of Chicos tapes, theres a classified Intel Data tape, how do you listen to this?

Chairhome

So I finally got a PS4. I beat this on XBO but I'm going to run through these again when I pick up a PS4 copy. I forgot, but the code that's included in the game is redeemed at the konami site to unlock something in TPP, right?

Grinchy

Banned
I played some more of this yesterday and think it's a pretty good game. Maybe the fact that I'm playing it for free or that my expectations were low are helping my outlook, or maybe I just like it that much. I actually have fun replaying missions and trying to do them better. It reminds me of Peace Walker in that way except it has much better gameplay.

The only mission I haven't enjoyed so far is the one where you have to go around and take out the anti-air guns. At one point I even used my binocs to seek out the next one, and as I was looking at it, 3 guards spawned on it out of thin air. They just throw so many guards into that scenario that I don't know what to do to sneak around properly yet.

Liamc723

Are you playing the mission through to completion? To where you see the rewards you unlock?

I played some more of this yesterday and think it's a pretty good game. Maybe the fact that I'm playing it for free or that my expectations were low are helping my outlook, or maybe I just like it that much. I actually have fun replaying missions and trying to do them better. It reminds me of Peace Walker in that way except it has much better gameplay.

The only mission I haven't enjoyed so far is the one where you have to go around and take out the anti-air guns. At one point I even used my binocs to seek out the next one, and as I was looking at it, 3 guards spawned on it out of thin air. They just throw so many guards into that scenario that I don't know what to do to sneak around properly yet.

I love that mission, but yeah it's tricky to stealth at first (but that's all part of the fun, isn't it?). Use C4 tactically; detonating it will cause the guards to rush over towards the explosion, giving you some breathing room.

The mission is probably hard as hell to stealth on hard though.

Chinner

Banned

don't worry bro, they're just applying the no true scotsman fallacy to you. they hate the fact that even though you said the game was good, YOU HAD SOMETHING SLIGHTLY NEGATIVE TO SAY.

so they've latched onto the fact you called yourself a mgs 'veteran' and they're trying to redefine that, because no true mgs fan would say anything negative against mgs or kojima-san KAWAII

don't worry bro, they're just applying the no true scotsman fallacy to you. they hate the fact that even though you said the game was good, YOU HAD SOMETHING SLIGHTLY NEGATIVE TO SAY.

so they've latched onto the fact you called yourself a mgs 'veteran' and they're trying to redefine that, because no true mgs fan would say anything negative against mgs or kojima-san KAWAII

While I'm not doubting anyone's 'veteren' status, I just think its a silly complaint to say something doesn't have enough content when you only play one mission and experience a fraction of what the gameplay and story has to offer. Like why would you even buy something, play it and think it was fun, and then refuse to play the rest of it and start complaining it was too short. It's a waste of money, makes no sense, and it sounds like he was just looking for something to complain about.

If he still felt it wasnt enough content after trying everything the game had to offer, that might be a different story, but he won't for some reason.

Top Bottom