• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

mbmonk

I am really glad I bought this game. It was well worth the $30.

In general, I don't like stealth games ( referring to the original Splinter Cell & Theif games ) and I dislike stealth missions in games. But I feel like the Reflex system and the forgiving checkpoint system of this game really help limit the frustration factor for me of being seen and/or dieing during a mission.

With those systems in place I have had a much more enjoyable time. And I feel more freed up to experiment with different weapons, paths, etc. Because I don't feel I will be punished as hard if those experiments fail. Also those two systems have proved to be very useful training wheels while I learned the games mechanics. Needless to say now, I am having to use the reflex system much less than when I started playing.

Also the "open world" nature of the game makes it much more enjoyable for me. I can choose to take a different path at any point in my plan, also I am not spending a ton of time sitting around attempting to memorize enemy movement patterns so I can run to spot A and hide, repeat to get to spot B, etc like in some more traditional stealth games.

I am 100% sold on Phantom Pain.

PS: I think the side missions are fun, have a fairly good back story that sets up the gameplay well, and Kojima's ability to tell a story and his presentation is unmatched.

I did it!

iBtwUec.jpg

I almost got caught on my way to the chopper while saving Paz, but I managed to headshot the guard in Reflex mode with my last dart! It was stressful and epic.

mbmonk

EDIT: I removed my question. I have figured it out. Sorry.

I got bored waiting for the Helo to land so I hit Chico with a couple of mags while I was waiting to pass the time. Oddly it was kind of fun to me. I think it was the physics of the mag bouncing off his face. I don't know. I may need professional help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsPpZ85qDx4

mbmonk

Were you watching me live when I played at 8:30pm Pacific last night?

I watched for a bit. I am on the East Coast so I had to get some rest. There was some lag for my, but I don't know why that was ( my connection, twitch, etc. ).

Thanks for posting your stream.

Palpable

I watched for a bit. I am on the East Coast so I had to get some rest. There was some lag for my, but I don't know why that was ( my connection, twitch, etc. ).

Thanks for posting your stream.

I'm glad you liked it. My connection was stable the whole time. I stream at 'best HD'. I'll be streaming some more tonight, probably earlier than last night.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Were you watching me live when I played at 8:30pm Pacific last night?

I was at work last night... I just checked your archive earlier. Which was better, since I could jump past the 50 min intro / title screen lol.

Congrats! Checked out the S Rank videos -- pretty cool; good stuff. Hope to see more!

A new video should be up in less than 1 hour. They take so long to upload!

Yesterday I tried to S-rank the 'Destroy the anti-air emplacements' mission but, despite my saving the four prisoners, I took too long and retried too often so I only got an A-rank :(

I haven't bothered recording my S-ranking of the Ground Zeroes mission, by the way, so I might do it again later... when the Destiny beta is over!

monodlee

Just got a ps4 with this game and played through the first mission for the first time.

Those were some of the best cinematics I have ever seen. When the contoller vibrated
on Paz's pulse when you find her
, I was blown away and felt crazy immersed. Its those little things.

Palpable

Just got a ps4 with this game and played through the first mission for the first time.

Those were some of the best cinematics I have ever seen. When the contoller vibrated
on Paz's pulse when you find her
, I was blown away and felt crazy immersed. Its those little things.

KojiPro really shines with stuff like that. I love those details.

Minamu

Yesterday I tried to S-rank the 'Destroy the anti-air emplacements' mission but, despite my saving the four prisoners, I took too long and retried too often so I only got an A-rank :(

I haven't bothered recording my S-ranking of the Ground Zeroes mission, by the way, so I might do it again later... when the Destiny beta is over!
Tranq the first four guys, carry the AA guard out of the way and plant a C4 at the AA gun, but don't blow it up! Continue up forward towards the western AA gun. But there will be a guy to your right between the small warehouses near the beginning so lure him with a magazine and tranq him. Up the hill you're gonna have to hope for a soldier with a recoilless rifle to appear either at the helipad or inside the western door at the AA gun. Once you have that, just blow up the western AA gun after carrying the soldiers out of the way, and send another rocket towards the eastern gun. Then you can run back to the start and call the chopper and blow up the C4.

But since you got an A-rank you should already have the rocket launcher unlocked, and that means you don't need to get down from the starting hill AT ALL :lol Just blow up the first, middle and eastern AA guns with one rocket each and call the chopper and you're done. Just make sure to hide behind the rock when you reload or you'll be spotted. You'll most likely kill one or two soldiers at the eastern AA gun but the points loss is really tiny. Just make sure to crawl to the chopper or the guys on alert will most likely spot you, especially on hard.

Oh, I forgot about the armored vehicle. If you wait with the C4 until you're back at the mountain top, you should have enough ammo to waste the vehicle before it even arrives on the map proper if you hide among the rocks where you start.

gdt

The side missions are really solid. I love the gameplay and the sheer feeling of movement. Can't wait to get more in PP.

iLLmAtlc

There's a cheese way of doing this. I forget the exact method but it's something like getting the rocket launcher on a new game+, hiding at the top of the hill and just picking off of the AAs from up here.

Evolved1

I really think they should have dropped a couple more side-ops into this... I like how much effort they put into the ones that are there, but honestly they don't hold up very well for replays (especially when Miller will not shut the fuck up). And it just seems like they could have come up with a few more ideas for things to do on the base that would be interesting and MG-ish.

I know they are busy beyond belief working on MG proper but damn if I don;t want them to drop a few more missions on us. This thing sold a lot, at a pretty controversial price point, and seems like they could justify the time and expense to give a little post-game support with side-ops missions or some remixes.

I really think they should have dropped a couple more side-ops into this... I like how much effort they put into the ones that are there, but honestly they don't hold up very well for replays (especially when Miller will not shut the fuck up). And it just seems like they could have come up with a few more ideas for things to do on the base that would be interesting and MG-ish.

I know they are busy beyond belief working on MG proper but damn if I don;t want them to drop a few more missions on us. This thing sold a lot, at a pretty controversial price point, and seems like they could justify the time and expense to give a little post-game support with side-ops missions or some remixes.

i'd much prefer they work on TPP and making sure it's as content heavy as something like peace walker was

Evolved1

Preferably more on the serious side and less goofy shit. The Monster Hunter missions were fun, but seriously weren't needed.

Idk I think that's possibly the best mission to replay, if not for the forced combat at the end.

It's one of the only missions that you can enjoy the quiet sneaking without Miller constantly talking about shit you've heard 300 billion times already.

Idk I think that's possibly the best mission to replay, if not for the forced combat at the end.

It's one of the only missions that you can enjoy the quiet sneaking without Miller constantly talking about shit you've heard 300 billion times already.

he's talking about the actual monster hunter boss battles from PW. not the snatcher mission from GZ

Preferably more on the serious side and less goofy shit. The Monster Hunter missions were fun, but seriously weren't needed.

agreed. i assume kojima will not go that route. wouldn't fit the tone of the game at all to be fighting dinosaurs and cooking rations, even with horses shitting and fultoning sheep...i still can't see some of the more silly elements of peace walker making it into TPP (dates with kaz/paz, moster hunter battles, singing AIs)

Palpable

he's talking about the actual monster hunter boss battles from PW. not the snatcher mission from GZ

agreed. i assume kojima will not go that route. wouldn't fit the tone of the game at all to be fighting dinosaurs and cooking rations, even with horses shitting and fultoning sheep...i still can't see some of the more silly elements of peace walker making it into TPP (dates with kaz/paz, moster hunter battles, singing AIs)

Agreed. PW was more on the goofy side. Seems Kojima is shifting the focus to serious in MGSV. There will clearly be comedic relief as usual, but nothing crazy like PW I don't think.

mbmonk

I completed the assassination side mission in under 14 minutes on normal. I got an A rank on it. I was secretly hoping for S. Back to the drawing board I guess. :)

Fun mission though.

Palpable

I completed the assassination side mission in under 14 minutes on normal. I got an A rank on it. I was secretly hoping for S. Back to the drawing board I guess. :)

Fun mission though.

I'm going to post a super fast way to S rank that on my YT page today. Look for it tonight. It's a kill method, though. I usually prefer extraction.

mbmonk

I'm going to post a super fast way to S rank that on my YT page today. Look for it tonight. It's a kill method, though. I usually prefer extraction.

Subscribed. I will add the vid to my watch later queue. I am going to try and solve the issue on my own first.

Also I like how the game still subtracts points for killing the targets, despite it being a part of requirements to complete the mission. It's funny in a way and keeps consistent with the theme of violent option being deterred. Just seems like a quirky Kojima thing that other devs wouldn't do. :p

Palpable

Subscribed. I will add the vid to my watch later queue. I am going to try and solve the issue on my own first.

Also I like how the game still subtracts points for killing the targets, despite it being a part of requirements to complete the mission. It's funny in a way and keeps consistent with the theme of violent option being deterred. Just seems like a quirky Kojima thing that other devs wouldn't do. :p

Thank you! What console are you on? The method won't work on last gen systems as the draw distance isn't good enough. I may upload my route for extraction, too.

Yeah, I love how it's discouraged.

mbmonk

Thank you! What console are you on? The method won't work on last gen systems as the draw distance isn't good enough. I may upload my route for extraction, too.

Yeah, I love how it's discouraged.

Thank you for posting the vids! :). I will watch the extraction if you upload it, but to be honest it will be at least a week if not more before I will be able to watch either vid. So only do it if you feel there is value to other subscribers, of course.

I am on Xbox One, so I should be good. :)

Minamu

Any thoughts on the probability of an s rank plus the stealth/no kills trials? I mean, I take my sweet ass time on those so I don't get caught which means a long play time.

mbmonk

Quick Question:

Can I set multiple waypoints on the map manually? If so how?

I seem to be only able to set 1 way point. If I try to set a second way point, the first one disappears.

Thanks.

Palpable

Quick Question:

Can I set multiple waypoints on the map manually? If so how?

I seem to be only able to set 1 way point. If I try to set a second way point, the first one disappears.

Thanks.

No, only one in GZ. That will change in TPP though. In the demo, the player set multiple waypoints. If I remember correctly, he set up to 3 or 4 before they began to override eachother.

Palpable

Besides GZ, anyone I suppose :)

Check my youtube channel. I have 2 up so far. I never kill and I don't get spotted. I get pissed when I'm spotted, too lol (reflex is always off). I'll be adding more missions.

What's everyone's favourite Side-Op? Gotta be destroying the AA guns for me. I get some serious Guns of the Navarrone vibes from it.

I used to hate that op, but after I figured out a good route where I don't get spotted and I can rescue all 4 prisoners, I took a liking to it. I play it often, but it takes me the longest.

Evolved1

Check my youtube channel. I have 2 up so far. I never kill and I don't get spotted. I get pissed when I'm spotted, too lol (reflex is always off). I'll be adding more missions.

I used to hate that op, but after I figured out a good route where I don't get spotted and I can rescue all 4 prisoners, I took a liking to it. I play it often, but it takes me the longest.

Those alert sirens are pretty annoying though... almost as annoying as miller.

mbmonk

No, only one in GZ. That will change in TPP though. In the demo, the player set multiple waypoints. If I remember correctly, he set up to 3 or 4 before they began to override eachother.

Thanks.

Yea I saw that in the 30 minute gameplay demo of TPP. That is why I was attempting to use it. Though to be honest with myself I have memorized the GZ map at this point so way points aren't needed.

Top Bottom