• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Custom Boxart Covers

UPDATE: THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE MASSIVE INTEREST. UNFORTUNATELY, I AM NOT SHIPPING THESE ANYMORE AS I WOULD NOT WANT TO PRINT THESE ANY FURTHER. ALL FURTHER PAYMENTS WILL BE REFUNDED BACK. THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING! :)

---------

- TL;DR?

This was a fun experiment, and I had fun serving you all. :)

------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on a little something with a help of fellow gaffers. Let's be straight up: a lot of us do not like the new Metal Gear Solid boxart, especially since it's missing "A Hideo Kojima Game" and all the credit Kojima Productions deserves. I've been vocal about it and I know a lot of you have been a lot more vocal about it.

uKmwym4.jpg

Act I. The Idea:

Fellow NeoGAFfer Kindekuma designed a really awesome cover art that a lot of us like and appreciate. I decided to volunteer and get them printed for everyone to receive. I've printed only 2000 of these, 500 for each console (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One) so these are quite limited. Furthermore, everyone is more than welcome to print these themselves if they have the means to do so. These covers are inch perfect to fit your desired casing. Note: Xbox 360 cover will also fit PC DVD Cover.

Act II: The Inception:

I've purchased everything needed, from the prints to the packaging. All I need to do is ship them out to your desired location. I'm not making a penny out of this because I love the idea of the community working towards a unified goal without feeling ripped off.

Here's what the final product looks like:

Act III: Frequently Asked Questions: UPDATED SEPTEMBER 2015

- How do I add the PS/Xbox logo on the covers?
-- Download the PDF files linked here: http://garymotherpuckingoak.deviantart.com/art/MGSV-PHANTOM-PAIN-Shinkawa-Cover-Fan-Made-546249708 , open in Photoshop and unhide the logo layers.

- What paper should I use?
-- 80lb or 60lb cover/photo stock is the preferred paper here. Make sure you have laser printer as inkjet may not print it that well.

- Is there any room for the bleeds in the PDF cover?
-- No. You will have to make sure you have room for bleeds, and cut accordingly. If needed, you can create bleeds as per your printing company preference/requirement.

- Are you going to be printing more covers?
-- Unfortunately, No. Thanks for the interest, and sorry for the lack of further support.

- What's your current stock count?
-- All stocks have been depleted. I won't be printing them any further.

- Have you shipped my order yet?
-- All orders are shipped as of August 24th. There are some folks who still haven't received it. I hope you all receive it soon!! There are folks who's order was the first to be shipped (August 18th and August 19th) but they haven't received it yet, and I'm sorry for that! I hope that package finds a way! :)

- When should I start panicking about my orders?
-- Please give it another week or two if your package doesn't arrive. I hope Canada Post get their shit together and start driving faster. Please PM me if you don't get your package by 4th of September and I'll accommodate accordingly.

- How do I repay you?
-- Add me on PSN and save my FOB base from being invaded by enemies and combatants! PSN ID: shagg_187

------------------------------

Seriously. Thank you all for being part of something fun and exciting. I'll try to respond to all PMs and emails! Thank you all, and keep on sneaking! <3

Thank you all for the encouragement to do this, thank you to Kindemuka for the cover design, and thank you Kojima for inspiring us all.

legacyzero

Banned
I absolutely LOVE IT! Problem is, I'm kinda strapped for cash at the moment so I might unfortunate miss the boat on this one..

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Screw it, I'm buying one of these! Thanks, shagg! You the MVP! BTW, should I send USD or CAD? EDIT: NEVERMIND.

I always forget the best way to go about with these on Paypal. Better to pay for goods and services or send money to a friend?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fuck yes

Wonderful idea. I don't have the capabilities to make on myself and that art is perfect. Will buy.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Good work. I'm getting the PC digital version as no PS4, but I'd be on board if I was getting a physical copy.

You are doing the Lord Hideo's work!

I always forget the best way to go about with these on Paypal. Better to pay for goods and services or send money to a friend?

Pay for goods and service will incur the fees on me. Send money to a friend will incur the fee upon you. Pick whatever you want!

Edit: There are no fees if you're a Canadian, please pay with CAD as sending money to a friend.

Amazing. Quick question, what sort of paper stock is this printed on?

I... actually don't know exactly! It's the same paper used in DVD covers, as in the same stock as the one used in Playstation or Xbox covers. I don't know exactly the stock as I didn't ask but the quality is great. I'll find out for you!

Alienous

Mmm. Mudda fuckin' 'A Hideo Kojima Game'.

My only wonder if there's an alternative to individual shipping. It's no problem, though.

Edit:
It might also be worth notifying our friends at /r/MetalGearSolid too.

Aalvi

If you're in Toronto, you can literally come to my home and take it (save in shipping)! I paid USD for it but Canadians can pay CAD. Thanks! :)

PM me for local pickups.

How much covers your costs in CAD? I can't do a local pickup atm(leg out of commission).

How much covers your costs in CAD? I can't do a local pickup atm(leg out of commission).

The cost is 25c USD per cover but you can pay me 25c CAD per cover. I'll happy provide shipment however you like. Sorry for your injured leg. PM me your address and I may drop by and give it to you if you're close, or I can ship it to you as always.

I may have to start a piggy bank for all the quarters coming my way!

AAK

You must be an awesome dude to have as a friend if you'd do this for a pack of internet strangers. Thanks bro :)

Isotope

Thanks for making a thread shagg! Purchased a PS4 cover for myself.

I can't thank you enough for doing this shagg; it's VERY much appreciated!

Alienous

I don't have any experience with this, but on the note of reducing international shipping costs, would a bulk delivery to a volunteer within another country, who would then use the local services to deliver the covers, reduce costs?

As I said I don't know if it works like that, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Either way I'll be picking up a cover.

Payment sent via button as well as a PM. Thank for doing this! Please let me know if I didn't send the donation correctly as I've never really used paypal before.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm buying it on Steam so no need for a cover but this is a hot deal for Canadians. I think I have a new idea.

Will get in on this. Was planning on buying more than I need so people who didn't have enough money could get the extra I paid for, but the shipping cost makes that prohibitively expensive, sorry. :(

Then I planned on getting like 50 for myself because they aren't very expensive, but then I realized that'd be hoarding and would needlessly lower the amount available for others.

Needless to say, I'm still buying some for myself, just have to decide how much.

I was thinking of buying this:

so I could match the white aesthetic of the art. Buuut, now it seems like just the case of one of my Wii games would be a better idea. I could also buy a literal shovelware title for super cheap and just take the case.

The main appeal of the linked one is the multi-disc capability so theoretically I could put TPP, the documentary disc, and MGS Legacy Disc 1 & 2 in there.

Also, based Kindekuma and shagg_187.
(even though I don't completely get this meme, thanks Diamond Dogs)

I wish people who did these would add all the regular stuff so it wouldn't stick out like a bootleg in my collection.
Only thing that bothers me about these great customs.

Top Bottom