• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurish

FYI a guard seeing you is NOT instant alert. A guard seeing you and shouting alerts all guards in the vicinity. The vicinity might be a base of 50 guards. It might be a township of 7 guards. It might be a patrol of 2 guards. Vicinity does not mean 'the whole world'. I was spotted in the wilderness by two guards, and the alarm didn't go off. I tranq'd one, and the other crouched down, whipped out his radio, and began shouting for command. I scrambled and got a tranq on him, too, and that was it. No radio call. No alert. I interrogated them both and left them lying face down in a ditch.

Game sounds awesome but can you clarify this? is it like MGS2 when they have to call the radio first or is it like GZ?

I mean, obviously I didn't think that enemies from all around the bases will come in every alert, but it still sounds like insta-alert of the base if a guard see you.

slash3584

So far I've not noticed it making a difference but possibly I guess?

How do you set the Helicopter speaker music?

About iDroid music alerts:

There's a iDroid update that allows the use of the speaker. I have not tried it yet but I supose that it alerts the guards

dan2026

Hah I really want to talk about the reason for Quiet's lack of garments that everyone got their panties in a twist about.

I wont cuz spoilers and all that and I daren't go in the spoiler thread because I haven't finished the game yet.

My lips are sealed. But the reason is Kojima level daft.

Hah I really want to talk about the reason for Quiet's lack of garments that everyone got their panties in a twist about.

I wont cuz spoilers and all that and I daren't go in the spoiler thread because I haven't finished the game yet.

My lips are sealed. But the reason is Kojima level daft.

Do you feel ashamed?

MrS

Banned
DAWG: Piers Stubbs is the voice actor for Eli, not Peter Stubbs. You had one job!

Nice job on the OT otherwise

Impressions at 10 hour point, gameplay only :

I'm the kind of player who restarts checkpoints everytime I eff-up in a Splinter Cell or Hitman section. I'm OCD in that sense in that I love it when things go my way in my pre-planned routes. That applies for previous MGS games as well.

This is the first game that I can think of that I don't do that at all. That's mindblowing to me, personally. Even when I revisit old areas in new missions, I never feel like I'm going through the motions with how dynamic things can be in the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Auctopus

You don't need to do this. There is a quicker method.
Pick up the 'invoice' from each place you visit and you can ship yourself in a cardboard box.
You need to have the invoice from the starting point and the destination.

Sorry, what?

Could someone elaborate on this? I know about shipping yourself between mother base platforms but there's fast travel in the world?! I don't have to keep going back to ACC?!

just a quick question for pc gamers, how many of you are going to use PC trainers to get things like unlimited GMP or infinite health and stuff? i may if the game has too much grinding

They are useless, the major limiting factor for mother base is time, not GMP. Also you can heal yourself in combat.

Loomba

I grabbed a sniper rifle of a enemy and extracted with it. Then when I went to redeploy it wasn't there... Don't you get to keep stolen weapons?

SomTervo

Game sounds awesome but can you clarify this? is it like MGS2 when they have to call the radio first or is it like GZ?

I mean, obviously I didn't think that enemies from all around the bases will come in every alert, but it still sounds like insta-alert of the base if a guard see you.

No problem.

Basically it works like GZ, but with the added level of wherever your spotted only insta-alerting this smaller area. if you're spotted and miss your 1-2 second window to neutralise the enemy then every guard in the area is insta-alerted. And a guard with a radio will call HQ to alert the whole region.

But 'area' is not always the same size or shape.

If you're spotted in a town of 15 buildings and 9 guards, then one shout will insta-alert all of them (just like in GZ.) However, they will have to radio out to other bases to alert the region and get backup.

If you're spotted out on a road in the middle of nowhere, by two guys walking along, then only those two guards insta-alert. There are no other guards nearby to get alerted, too. The alert sounds don't happen, and it's actually only these two guys who are alerted to your presence. Nearby bases etc. will have no idea, until one of those guys radio in. So if guards are isolated enough, getting spotted isn't a biggie as long as you take them out before they finish their radio message.

Basically it's insta-alert by proximity. Only nearby guards get insta-alerted, and this is just like GZ. But unlike GZ, guards in further away bases/outposts won't be alerted until someone radios up to them.

But actually if you were infiltrating a small town
(like the first mission)
and was caught with no reflex, it is pretty much instantly all hell break loose.

dan2026

Sorry, what?

Could someone elaborate on this? I know about shipping yourself between mother base platforms but there's fast travel in the world?! I don't have to keep going back to ACC?!

So every major place you visit has a shipping area (looks like an orange square on the floor)
Each shipping area has an invoice that you can pick up.

If you have the invoice of you destination you can ship yourself in a cardboard box.
You have to have been to the destination first. (To get the invoice)

To do the major story missions you still have to get a helicopter pick up and go back to the menu.

Sorry its hard to explain. And the game doesn't explain about the shipping thing.

aravuus

They are useless, the major limiting factor for mother base is time, not GMP. Also you can heal yourself in combat.

I would imagine most trainers would have a fast-forward cheat for the MB wait times

Which is something I'll definitely use when the wait times start to get longer than two hours.

e: also the invoice stuff sounds amazing

slash3584

Whats the purpose of that upgrade?

I think it's so you can use to attract guards to you. Kinda like the knock but with longer range. Or maybe it has something to do with the PS4 speaker (I play with a headset so I can't tell).

So every major place you visit has a shipping area (looks like an orange square on the floor)

If you have the invoice of you destination you can ship yourself in a cardboard box.

To do the major story missions you still have to get a helicopter pick up and go back to the menu.

Sorry its hard to explain. And the game doesn't explain about the shipping thing.

:O Mind Blown.

Good bye to those 20 min horse rides.

ekim

I think it's so you can use to attract guards to you. Kinda like the knock but with longer range. Or maybe it has something to do with the PS4 speaker (I play with a headset so I can't tell).

:O Mind Blown.

Good bye to those 20 min horse rides.

Haven't seen the option and I'm playing on Xbox One. hm...

SomTervo

EDIT: double post

Amazing isn't it.

That's been there since MGS1.

... But not in an open world where you can drive vehicles, ride horses and ride in helicopters.

I was referring to the idea of getting invoices from different bases to unlock them as fast travel points. Getting in one truck in one place and being skipped to one other linear place is not the same, and that's how it worked in MGS1.

aember

No problem.

So based on your experience, if Camp Omega were now done with TPP's mechanics, if a guard spotted you in the Admin area, would the east and west camps near the bottom count as part of the insta-alert or would they be in the Radio zone?

edgefusion

How do you set the Helicopter speaker music?

About iDroid music alerts:

There's a iDroid update that allows the use of the speaker. I have not tried it yet but I supose that it alerts the guards

You need to buy the loudspeaker upgrade for the helicopter (it's very early on), then go to the song you want in the cassette tapes menu and press Square - it's marked as "Set Helicopter Music"

aravuus

Please be real..... Just so I can DL overnight and play tomorrow.

What the community manager said is in line with that. Could be he's means midnight tomorrow and not today.

According to the discussions on Steam, people are saying the timer on Steam is just the cut off for Pre-purchase, I'll take it all with a large pinch of salt.

The excitement is killing me

If it does unlock in 20 minutes, I could probably play for a couple of hours tonight. Urgh, please MAKE IT SO GOD

Dawg

Impressions at 10 hour point, gameplay only :

I'm the kind of player who restarts checkpoints everytime I eff-up in a Splinter Cell or Hitman section. I'm OCD in that sense in that I love it when things go my way in my pre-planned routes. That applies for previous MGS games as well.

This is the first game that I can think of that I don't do that at all. That's mindblowing to me, personally. Even when I revisit old areas in new missions, I never feel like I'm going through the motions with how dynamic things can be in the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Fucking up is part of the fun here. Of course I prefer to go stealth, but when things go wrong, you have a ton of awesome lethal weapons in this game to your disposal. And, to be honest, I feel like they are quite forgiving when it comes to ranking your missions. I haven't had a single mission under B rank and I've killed tons of enemies and even did a mission where I was seen multiple times.

I'll just replay everything later for those precious S ranks. This game is way too fun outside of stealth for me to play a "pure stealth" run right away.

Trago

Forgot to clear some SSD space for this game! Gotta make it through the waiting storm to play this on PC. Gotta stay strong.

edgefusion

Not sure but I thought it was to be able to listen to your cassettes while free roaming as oppose to in the menu.

I've upgraded it now so didn't check if it can be done beforehand.

I never bought that upgrade and am able to listen to cassettes in free roam.

Auctopus

Wow, that's great to hear. So an area would be a "village" or town. I'll look out for it. I really had no idea whatsoever.

MMaRsu

Banned
You can just return to the chopper via the menu and then get it to drop you off near your next objective.

Not really fast travel. Instead of selecting a point where the chopper drops you off you have to go back into your chopper which brings loading times and a small cutscene each time. Then you have to reopen the missie menu and from there u can get dropped off.

ITS NOT FAST TRAVEL AT ALL.

slash3584

Haven't seen the option and I'm playing on Xbox One. hm...

It's on the cassette player menu.

The button has a Speaker Icon and it's disabled before this upgrade.

Now that I think about it, knowing Kojima maybe the speaker settings does have other uses.

A hero's way mild spoiler:

I found a tape with the recording of a soldier shitting his soul out right next to the toilet. Maybe playing this on speaker brings some funny comments or maybe using it while hiding in the toilet makes guards go away?

You need to buy the loudspeaker upgrade for the helicopter (it's very early on), then go to the song you want in the cassette tapes menu and press Square - it's marked as "Set Helicopter Music"

Thanks dude! See above for my theory about iDroid speaker function.

Drencrom

The last true MGS game...

:salute:

Great OT.

ePDRmLN.jpg

:(

Not really fast travel. Instead of selecting a point where the chopper drops you off you have to go back into your chopper which brings loading times and a small cutscene each time. Then you have to reopen the missie menu and from there u can get dropped off.

ITS NOT FAST TRAVEL AT ALL.

I didn't say it was but it is an alternative. OKAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom