• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i'm honest, I think MGS3 (Subsistence or HD) is still the best MGS.

MGS:V has the best gameplay and most content for sure, but also a lot of padding and WRPG tropes.

MGS3, at the time it came out, was ridiculously detailed. A lot of it was hidden by standard definition and the shitty camera in vanilla, but damn. I replayed HD a few years ago and was amazed. MGS V just doesn't have the stuff like Snake v Boss on a flowerfield and a battle like vs The End.

Fuuuu, you have deflated my hype, MGS3 is my GOAT game, I've been looking for years for a game that can top it and I was hoping this one would be the one that can take me to those highs again.

6 hours in, 4 main misons and 6 side ops done, I can say the gameplay is freaking amazing. This is the first game I feel is really "open world" and sandbox. The sheer number of possibilities and how you do a mission is awesome.

Story is less proeminent than in other MGS, but I think it is how the game is designed (Plus having tapes is way better than conversions you get randomly).

It might disappoint fans of the series, but it brings a lot of freshness to the series, something MGS4 ambitiously aimed and failed to do.

gdt

I wish I would've been ale to take tomorrow off. I'm just gonna be so busy. I'm gonna work like a mad man though to try to get done early.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Amazon just notified me that the game was delivered. That never happens does it?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am extremely cautiously optimistic about the story in this game

Any tips for Mission 31 (SPOILERS spoilers don't click if you don't want to)
the Sahelanenaphoroaphous boss fight
? I don't know if it's just my gear is under levelled.
I got it down to 40% after 10 mins or so and then it pulled out a railgun and killed me

That's extreme.
It's not, if you are not absolutely in love with the pure gameplay, the repetitive same few mission variants are gonna bore some people to death.Combinied with outside of tapes the majority of he missions have little story context.
if you love the gameplay, you will probably love the game despite its flaws.

Any tips for Mission 31 (SPOILERS spoilers don't click if you don't want to)
the Sahelanenaphoroaphous boss fight
? I don't know if it's just my gear is under levelled.
I got it down to 40% after 10 mins or so and then it pulled out a railgun and killed me

Do you mean the
blue lazer, if you get ohko from that its because you went too far away from the area.(Probably chasing the automatic supply drop when you run out of ammo?)
Either way when he gets to that phase just hide behind walls

Ruff

I've never not been so much looking kinda forward to a game maybe in all my life.

I absolutely adore MSG3 and the huge attention to detail... this one still feels like a totally different series with the familiar characters slapped on from all the videos I've seen. I'm worried about the introduction of sandbox missions and missions that let you do them when you want will not feel as directed or cinematically structured as the others.

I'm afraid it just won't seem like MGS to me. But I need to play it anyway.

It's not, if you are not absolutely in love with the pure gameplay, the repetitive same few mission variants are gonna bore some people to death.Combinied with outside of tapes the majority of he missions have little story context.

How about if you have many hours in Ground Zeroes enjoying trying to get S ranks in everything, normal and hard?

Played for a couple hours. Opening was awesome, but it lasted a bit too long. The gameplay is real good. It's pretty cool using the binoculars to plan your next move. Going into an enemy camp and completing an objective without killing anyone is pretty satisfying. Only thing that's really disappointing me now is that it seems the story is gonna take a backseat in this game. For me Metal Gear was mostly about the story and the cool situations the story put the character in. I just don't see it happening in this game, structure is completely different. I'll see how I feel about it in total after I get deeper into it, but for now I think it's a good game, but doesn't exactly feel like Metal Gear to me.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So I finished the first real mission. Are they seriously showing credits after every mission? Ayy...

Do you mean the
blue lazer, if you get ohko from that its because you went too far away from the area.(Probably chasing the automatic supply drop when you run out of ammo?)
Either way when he gets to that phase just hide behind walls
Oh okay, thank you :)

And yeah, I agree with your comment tbh. I think a lot of people are going to be quite shocked/disappointed that this game has many of the hallmarks of Western open world games, many elements of which are often derided. It really doesn't reinvent the wheel in any way, unlike MGS1/2/3. The story and cutscenes are really cool (so far) when they're there, but there is a LOT of filler in between those missions (get this guy, he told us to get this item, which will tell us where this guy is so he can tell us where to go for the next story mission).

I'm enjoying it so far because the gameplay is absolutely fantastic, I'm about 35 hours in so far and I'm still loving it. But I think many will find it repetitive, particularly because it's such a huge departure from typical MGS fare.

The "story context" is that Big Boss has to do these missions to make money.

I don't profess to know much about the main storyline since I only played it a bit so far, but there's two story arcs ongoing at once, first being the core MGS-style story of the whole XOF thing, and the second is the slice-of-life less pronounced story of BB rebuilding MB through these simple missions and task.

SkylineRKR

You're mercs doing anything for cash, it works. Inside that is a revenge story. The narrative isn't bad, all the cutscenes I've seen so far were meaningful. Its just not not anime show off anymore, and not after every 15 minutes.

MGS4 was a 10 hour game with 5 hours of cutscenes or something. MGSV might be a 50 hour game with 5 hours of cutscene.

How about if you have many hours in Ground Zeroes enjoying trying to get S ranks in everything, normal and hard?

Then TPP is the game for you. Hideo wasn't lying when he said TPP is 50 times as big, because it is. GZ main mission is as big as a side op in this game.

People that are saying this game is boring are obviously off their rocker.

Everything about this game is amazing, just the pure gameplay alone is spectacular and the story I've seen so far is fucking intense. Just beautiful.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Okay these PSN speeds are getting stupid. 166KB/s on a 15 MB/s line. PS4 is in the DMZ, PnP disabled.

Fucking get it together Sony, really.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So are there any possible shenanigans to start a Steam preload early, like with VPN? If not, is the official word that you can't even start downloading till tomorrow?

What was the last AAA PC release that didn't have a preload? C'mon, Konami.

Sorry, I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but did we ever get a confirmation on the Steam unlock time?

Many people here have said the game unlocks at midnight EST tonight, or 9pm PST

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Okay these PSN speeds are getting stupid. 166KB/s on a 15 MB/s line. PS4 is in the DMZ, PnP disabled.

Fucking get it together Sony, really.

Yeah, my download speeds fluctuated heavily today, with "85 hours" to download being the worst estimate. The download barely and luckily finished one hour before unlock. Sometimes pausing and resuming the download helps as there apparently is a chance that you get connected to a less loaded server. But it doesn't always work.

We are paying the full retail price for a version of the game that doesn't have manufacturing and shipping costs, so they really could use that money for a decent CDN network.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, my download speeds fluctuated heavily today, with "85 hours" to download being the worst estimate. The download barely and luckily finished one hour before unlock. Sometimes pausing and resuming the download helps as there apparently is a chance that you get connected to a less loaded server. But it doesn't always work.

We are paying the full retail price for a version of the game that doesn't have manufacturing and shipping costs, so they really could use that money for a decent CDN network.

I mean not only that but it's blatantly obvious they are capping downloads intentionally. http://imgur.com/WAX7jac

That was after a reboot of my PS4. Look at how great it starts.. and then the throttling kicks in.

People that are saying this game is boring are obviously off their rocker.

Everything about this game is amazing, just the pure gameplay alone is spectacular and the story I've seen so far is fucking intense. Just beautiful.
Nobody is saying that the gameplay is bad, they're saying that they could see how some will find it boring and repetitive due to the mission design which imo leaves a lot to be desired. If you're still early in the game the story hasn't slowed down yet. I'm enjoying it a lot but it is very different from previous MGS games and people will need to adjust expectations accordingly. And unfortunately, fantastic gameplay can't always save a game (see: Destiny).

I didn't unlock any ninja costume... What gives? I got solid snake. And a gold arm.

Oh crap everything is running slow now cause it checks with the server as you navigate the base menu.

CDV13

After 23 hours of BORING ANNOYING playtime.... MGS5 hold the place of the most disappointment game of all time.... congratulation, MGS5 stole the throne from FFXIII.

Alternate Majukin account....or whatever that guys name is from the micro transaction thread.

(Kidding)

Artex

Banned
Amazon had my delivery time for Friday. I emailed them and they said they gave me free next day and that I would have the game on Thursday. Wat?
I thought Prime members always get release Day delivery? I've bought every game on Amazon in the past 5 years and this has never happened. I'm going to have to go into a gamestop like a noob tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a baby robot hand though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom