• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I can't play more than two hours without the motherboard shutting down from overheating. Checked and there's no dust inside and all the fans are working. Temps aren't even ridiculously high, I'm seeing 80C on gpu1, 70C on gpu2 and 65-70C on motherboard. Man, I wonder if I need to re-attach the heat sink, can't think of anything else.

sfried

I have an AMD FX 4350 with an XFX R7870 Core Edition. I noticed my frame rate isn't so smooth in Mother Base with all of my settings on extra high. I already turned down Shadows to just high but I was wondering if turning Lighting down to just high would put it bellow the PS4 version.

Can anybody else report how performance is on AMD CPU/GPU combos?

Randomizer

Should I even bother trying this with a GTX570 and a Phenom II X4 955? I run GZ fine for my taste but I don't know if its worth it to buy this.

If you are happy with Ground Zeroes performance this is almost identical so I say get it.

I have an AMD FX 4350 with an XFX R7870 Core Edition. I noticed my frame rate isn't so smooth in Mother Base with all of my settings on extra high. I already turned down Shadows to just high but I was wondering if turning Lighting down to just high would put it bellow the PS4 version.

Don't have a AMD combo but for the performance the best things to turn down are shadows and post processing. Maybe put post processing to high and keep lighting extra high should be good.

Älg

removing fps cap screwed up throwables in GZ right?

is it the same here? i cant try it for a few hours and im not too hopeful...but maybe...

Just played for 3 hours with framerate unlocked, and I didn't have any issues. Granted, I don't know what to look for, but I couldn't see anything that seemed wrong.

Thoraxes

Man, I can't play more than two hours without the motherboard shutting down from overheating. Checked and there's no dust inside and all the fans are working. Temps aren't even ridiculously high, I'm seeing 80C on gpu1, 70C on gpu2 and 65-70C on motherboard. Man, I wonder if I need to re-attach the heat sink, can't think of anything else.
That sounds like a power supply issue, especially if your Temps are fine.

sfried

Don't have a AMD combo but for the performance the best things to turn down are shadows and post processing. Maybe put post processing to high and keep lighting extra high should be good.
I just tested this right now with Post Processing set to just high and it seems like there's no noticeable difference. Things are a lot different though once I set Lighting to just high, as I notice there are no hitches whatsoever.

Are you sure this isn't an Nvidia thing?

Bebpo

Banned
That sounds like a power supply issue, especially if your Temps are fine.

Would power supply cause the computer to shut off and then sit for like 5-10 mins (and not be able to be manually turned on) before suddenly powering on again? (even after unplugging and replugging everything back in).

I was assuming it was the motherboard shutting everything down and then needing like 5-10 mins to cool down before powering back up again.

Jedi2016

Would power supply cause the computer to shut off and then sit for like 5-10 mins (and not be able to be manually turned on) before suddenly powering on again? (even after unplugging and replugging everything back in).

I was assuming it was the motherboard shutting everything down and then needing like 5-10 mins to cool down before powering back up again.
An overheating motherboard will still turn on while it's hot, it'll just turn itself right back off again. Is that what's happening, or does it just stay completely off?

Vex_

Banned

What kind of power supply you got BTW? Curious.

sfried

I know this sounds like a silly question but does unlocking the framerate have any benefit for those who only have monitors that can display 60hz/60fps? AMD Catalyst has its own frame limiter so I'm not sure if that's a better alternative to the in-game one.

I forgot to add I did just that but it doesn't seem to have any noticable effect, at least not compared to changing the lighting from Extra High to High. I'm not sure if this is an Nvidia-centric performance issue (as my GFX card doesn't seem to take a hit from post-processing. Than again, my resolution is only 1366x768 native.)

What are the "default" graphical settings that the PS4 version uses?

I know this sounds like a silly question but does unlocking the framerate have any benefit for those who only have monitors that can display 60hz/60fps? AMD Catalyst has its own frame limiter so I'm not sure if that's a better alternative to the in-game one.

I've got the frame rate unlocked and am using MSI Afterburner to cap it to 60 fps. I was experiencing stuttering when the frame rate fell below 60 before I unlocked it, but since I've done that it's been incredibly smooth.

sfried

I've got the frame rate unlocked and am using MSI Afterburner to cap it to 60 fps. I was experiencing stuttering when the frame rate fell below 60 before I unlocked it, but since I've done that it's been incredibly smooth.

Hmm, I'm going to try out this optimization then. Hopefully this will resolve all of the hickups of my otherwise AMD-centric rig that has supposedly handled nVidia-centric games rather well.

I was also thinking about upgrading my Vishera AMD FX 4350 to an 8370 (can't make it Intel since motherboard has AM3+ sockets) hoping it might improve certain CPU-centric bottlenecks, or maybe I just need a GFX card with 4GB instead of just 2.

Bebpo

Banned
An overheating motherboard will still turn on while it's hot, it'll just turn itself right back off again. Is that what's happening, or does it just stay completely off?

It shuts off and the power button doesn't work on the pc, I unplug the power cable, everything and put it back in and hitting power doesn't do anything. The motherboard lights are on but the whole rig is non-reactive.

Then after about 5-10 mins, it just suddenly turns on and boots itself up. This same type of thing happened once a few months ago when I tested overclocking for GTAV, so I figured the motherboard overheated and got rid of the overclocks and then never had a problem for the next 50 hours. But now this is happening constantly.

However, I can stop this from happening by manually setting my gpu fans to 50-60% and it keeps all the temps about 10C cooler and there hasn't been any shutdowns so far.

What's weird is really seems related to overheating, yet the temps aren't ridiculously high. I mean the gpu fans are running near silent at like 30% because the gpu itself doesn't even think it's critical hot and needs to turn up the fans. Why would the motherboard be shutting itself down when it hits 70C or a GPU hits 80C? Makes no sense.

And if it's a power supply or grounding issue why would it only happen when temps get high for a while?

The power supply is just whatever gaf recommends in the hardware thread for a 850watt SLI build. Not sure off the top of my head.

Xyber

Tried the framerate unlock, works much better than in GZ for me where everything felt way more stuttery to me.

Have not encountered any physics glitches when throwing stuff.

My 144Hz monitor definitely appreciates this, much smoother.

Is anyone else having loading issues in the idroid? Everything to be taking longer to load.

Most likely server issues since you are most likely connected. If not, then I have no idea tbh.

Direct link to from where screencap is: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Metal_...in#Remove_FPS_Cap_.28Fixes_Adaptive_V-Sync.29

Config file location: <Steam-folder>\userdata\<user-id>\287700\local\

Thanks a lot man! Running beautifully here at 4K 90fps everything maxed.

Thoraxes

It shuts off and the power button doesn't work on the pc, I unplug the power cable, everything and put it back in and hitting power doesn't do anything. The motherboard lights are on but the whole rig is non-reactive.

Then after about 5-10 mins, it just suddenly turns on and boots itself up. This same type of thing happened once a few months ago when I tested overclocking for GTAV, so I figured the motherboard overheated and got rid of the overclocks and then never had a problem for the next 50 hours. But now this is happening constantly.

However, I can stop this from happening by manually setting my gpu fans to 50-60% and it keeps all the temps about 10C cooler and there hasn't been any shutdowns so far.

What's weird is really seems related to overheating, yet the temps aren't ridiculously high. I mean the gpu fans are running near silent at like 30% because the gpu itself doesn't even think it's critical hot and needs to turn up the fans. Why would the motherboard be shutting itself down when it hits 70C or a GPU hits 80C? Makes no sense.

And if it's a power supply or grounding issue why would it only happen when temps get high for a while?

The power supply is just whatever gaf recommends in the hardware thread for a 850watt SLI build. Not sure off the top of my head.
High temps usually happen when it's working at a higher capacity, which uses more electricity. More power(better fidelity/graphics) = more electricity needed and a much increased power draw.

If it can't draw the electricity needed that the card is calling for, as a failsafe, a computer will automatically shut itself down. And it will keep doing so until it has a sufficient supply to draw from.

PSUs also degrade over time. By the time you've had one for about 5 years, it's maximum capacity could be as much as 30% lower than it was rated at during the time of purchase. Everything you mentioned are telltale signs of needing a PSU upgrade or ovetheating.

And since you say your Temps are fine, it really should be the power issue.

Bebpo

Banned
High temps usually happen when it's working at a higher capacity, which uses more electricity. More power(better fidelity/graphics) = more electricity needed and a much increased power draw.

If it can't draw the electricity needed that the card is calling for, as a failsafe, a computer will automatically shut itself down. And it will keep doing so until it has a sufficient supply to draw from.

PSUs also degrade over time. By the time you've had one for about 5 years, it's maximum capacity could be as much as 30% lower than it was rated at during the time of purchase. Everything you mentioned are telltale signs of needing a PSU upgrade or ovetheating.

And since you say your Temps are fine, it really should be the power issue.

Thanks for the info. I just built the computer about a year ago, so it'd be unfortunate if it was the power supply, but at least that's a fairly cheap replacement part.

I'm running a 980gtx / i7 4770k / SSD and getting 60fps at 1080p with maximum settings. I get slowdown on rare occasions, and the emblem editor is slow to the point of unusable, but I hear that's the way for everyone.

Great work, Kojipro. You guys have made a fantastic swan song.

jett

D-Member
Strange how I started suffering noticeable framedrops in the last few missions, whereas the rest of the game was a near locked 60fps.
Before Chapter 2.
Especially in heavily forested areas, I had to turn down model quality to high to achieve 60fps again.

viveks86

Okay, here's the final version I think.

About a ~5fps hit.

vanilla_vs_modded_extra_high_fixed_by_aloooo81-d98hbuu.gif

LUA download

Just started tinkering with the lua files. Might as well use yours as a baseline. Thanks!

I'm running a 980gtx / i7 4770k / SSD and getting 60fps at 1080p with maximum settings. I get slowdown on rare occasions, and the emblem editor is slow to the point of unusable, but I hear that's the way for everyone.

Great work, Kojipro. You guys have made a fantastic swan song.
I have a similar set up and can play at 1440p (DSR)@60fps 90% of the time easily. Going for a higher res will help picture quality because the AA in the game isn't great.

I did have the game freeze and on restart it was using 8GB of my RAM? Quit the game and restarted and it was fine.

Moaradin

Why isn't Ambient Occlusion working for me on the Nvidia control panel? When I go to Metal Gear Solid V, it says not supported for this application.

Why isn't Ambient Occlusion working for me on the Nvidia control panel? When I go to Metal Gear Solid V, it says not supported for this application.

update drivers?

BTW, I recommend, regardless of framerate you play at to unlock the framerate. The in game framerate lock has tiny dips and irregularities. Unlocking the framerate and then using RTSS to lock it down offers a more consistent experience overall. Constant 60 instead of the occasional 59.7 59.8 or 59.9.

Linkr2

Neo Member
Any possibility of modifying the game files in order to play with Sony's Dualshock layout (square, trinagle, R1, R2, etc...)?

I opened the game files and there's only a bunch of dat files, any way to decompress that?

I'm sorry if I'm asking silly questions! I'm not used this kind of things but definitely want to play this game with Playstation layout!

Thanks for the info. I just built the computer about a year ago, so it'd be unfortunate if it was the power supply, but at least that's a fairly cheap replacement part.

Power supplies typically have a several year warranty. But I can understand not wanting to wait out an RMA depending on the manufacturer.

Par Score

According to Eurogamer regards Ground Zeroes:-
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-pc-face-off

PS4 is the equivalent of "high across the board, but with shadows and texture filtering at medium".

They just did their Phantom pain version of that article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...best-pc-hardware-for-metal-gear-solid-5-on-pc

So it's:
Resolution: 1920x1080 (or 1600x900 for Xbox One)
Vertical Sync: On
Frame-Rate: Auto (60)
Motion Blur: High
Depth of Field: Enabled
Model Detail: Low
Textures: High
Texture Filtering: Medium
Shadows: Medium

Lighting: High
Post-Processing: High
Effects: High
Ambient Occlusion: High
Volumetric Clouds: On

That Low Model Detail is a killer, because despite the name it's not just LOD but also also Draw Distance.

dmix90

I think problem is AMD CPU. I had the same issue in GZ, with everything maxed i was getting like ~45fps when you overview location right after first cutscene. Even 4.6ghz overclock of my FX8120 could not help. That's the main reason i jumped on upgrade train. If i turn lighting down to high it was immediately 60fps. I am sure ps4 uses high preset since screenshots i saw are very similar to pc version with lighting on high.

bongpig

Neo Member
They just did their Phantom pain version of that article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...best-pc-hardware-for-metal-gear-solid-5-on-pc

So it's:

That Low Model Detail is a killer, because despite the name it's not just LOD but also also Draw Distance.

Cool. Thanks.

They said in the original article that PC model detail at low is still gives a further draw distance than the consoles. As you say, thats the killer setting that keeps the consoles chugging away at 60fps. It goes to show that it doesn't take a very beefy PC to match the PS4. My 3 year old laptop ( 7970m ) can match it with plenty juice to spare.

JackHerer

Getting around 75-95ish fps with SLI Titan X at 1440p. For some reason I expected slightly better performance. At least there is zero stuttering which is what really matters.

T.O.P

Banned
Everything maxed except for Post Processing at High, 1440p 60fps locked on a 970 and 4690k

Amazing optimization for this game, so happy with how it turned out

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think problem is AMD CPU. I had the same issue in GZ, with everything maxed i was getting like ~45fps when you overview location right after first cutscene. Even 4.6ghz overclock of my FX8120 could not help. That's the main reason i jumped on upgrade train. If i turn lighting down to high it was immediately 60fps. I am sure ps4 uses high preset since screenshots i saw are very similar to pc version with lighting on high.

Lighting is more of a GPU effect isn't it?

Because I saw a video of a dude with a 960 and an FX6300 OC'd at 4.5Ghz who ran the game at a locked 60 on ultra.

Thought it was BS at first but he actually shows the settings in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyqFfRoUP0

Though the 6300 does have better single threaded performance than the 8120, so perhaps that gave it the edge it needed.

Edit: Okay, some minor dips to 50, but still. Quite impressive considering the CPU :

Top Bottom