• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

Tried the framerate unlock, works much better than in GZ for me where everything felt way more stuttery to me.

Have not encountered any physics glitches when throwing stuff.

My 144Hz monitor definitely appreciates this, much smoother.

Thanks for this. I'm gonna unlock it now.

edit: unlock works pretty well so far. I've not noticed any issues. Nice to be playing at 90fps.

synce

I've made a quick mod here to play as Quiet. It replaces the Solid Snake costume from MGS1:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3x_yY0gnj5sS2xaRkZaLUUyTEU

Just be sure to follow the instructions properly. You'll need to work a little as I didn't feel like uploading a 1.5Gb file so instead I'm explaining how to extract, replace a file in and repack the archive.

NC60TCX.jpg

Can Steam ban me over this?

teokrazia

Never tried to unlock the frame-rate in GZ, so I have no direct experience of its anomalies.
I've unlocked it in Phantom Pain and I've played the whole amazing Mission
and some other sequences without noticing oddities.

So, my final sweet point has changed from 2103x1183/2351x1323 & HBAO+ to 1080p, HBAO+ & unlocked frame-rate.

Those 15-20-30 FPS over the 60 cap worth every slightly worse covered jaggy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My performance is also similar. It's usually 60fps in not-too-busy scenes, but it dips to around 50-45ish when around Mother Base at night. Framerate becomes a solid 60 though once Lighting is turned down to High. I only have an AMD FX 4350, but was thinking of upgrading to an FX 8370 or 9590 (I'd refer not to overclock anything though).

Thanks for this. I might go ahead and set lighting to High, although I think is the light bounding off the walls that actually eat up my GPU performance especially when its doing it on buildings in the far off distance.

On the other hand, though, is Lighting on High considered bad?

Huh, so turning Lighting down to high is literally it? Is your CPU on stock?

Thank to Nvidia's godly guides you can compare High with Extra High settings Here

And for what it's worth, the FX chips are usually universally good at overclocking, I know my 6300 can go up to 4.5ghz on stock voltage, it runs too hot at 80C when I do though, so I'm waiting to buy a CPU cooler before I do more testing

GRaider81

In game default is called at 59.9. You get an occasional stutter as a result. Fully unlocked then capped with rtss is perfectly smooth.

Ive uncapped in game and used RTSS but its still "capping" at 59.9. it sometimes goes to 60. I tried setting RTSS to 61 bit it hasn't helped.

Any advice?

I'm playing on a TV monitor if that makes a difference though Im I'm getting 60 locked with MAD MAX

Ive uncapped in game and used RTSS but its still "capping" at 59.9. it sometimes goes to 60. I tried setting RTSS to 61 bit it hasn't helped.

Any advice?

I'm playing on a TV monitor if that makes a difference though Im I'm getting 60 locked with MAD MAX

Isn't this just how windows reports the refresh rate? Like it's usually 59.97hz and just rounds it down to 59?

LogicStep

i7 930(i think? Early i7)
6gb ram

Can I expect better performance and graphics than the PS4 version? Trying to decide where to get the game.

Also thinking about the online mode, don't wanna deal with cheaters.

i7 930(i think? Early i7)
6gb ram

Can I expect better performance and graphics than the PS4 version? Trying to decide where to get the game.

Also thinking about the online mode, don't wanna deal with cheaters.
Online isn't coming out for PC until next year :/ so if you want that go console, imo

Grassy

Getting around 75-95ish fps with SLI Titan X at 1440p. For some reason I expected slightly better performance. At least there is zero stuttering which is what really matters.

What is your GPU usage in these scenes? I cannot imagine it is near 90%. I play @ 1620p with a single TItan X and it is around 60-80% GPU usage usually for 60fps. You should get quite a lot more @ 1440p with two titan Xs.

SLI scaling is borked in this game unfortunately. I just unlocked the framerate and doing a quick test on Motherbase with a single 980 Ti @ 1440p and everything maxed, I get 95-105fps. With SLI enabled I'm getting exactly the same fps and each card's usage is around the ~55-60% mark. I've just been running a single card the last few days.

sfried

Huh, so turning Lighting down to high is literally it? Is your CPU on stock?

Thank to Nvidia's godly guides you can compare High with Extra High settings Here

And for what it's worth, the FX chips are usually universally good at overclocking, I know my 6300 can go up to 4.5ghz on stock voltage, it runs too hot at 80C when I do though, so I'm waiting to buy a CPU cooler before I do more testing
Yes, my CPU is on stock with stock cooler. I have no plans to overclock it though, due in part that it does wear down on its reliability/durability.

And yeah, turning down Lighting to High does solve any minor frame hickups, not that it has bothered me that much. Though I've been thinking of uppgrading my rig to make my other games such as Elite: Dangerous run smoother too.

Naedtrax

Banned
Download this.
Extract it to the 'master' folder in your MGSV directory. (Steam/steamapps/common/MGS_TPP)
Shift+Right Click the 'master' folder and select 'Open Command Window here'.
Type in: MGSV_QAR_Tool data1.dat -r
Now it should have created a 'Data 1' folder in the 'master' directory.
Inside the new 'Data 1' folder, replace the file.

Thank you very much :), how do i repack it? Do i just drag and drop data1.inf into the exe?

soultron

Banned
Anyone else getting single digits when scrolling through the word lists on the emblem customisation screen?

980 with latest drivers so I'm struggling to understand why this is an issue. I get 60FPS in game!

Gaffi

Can anyone help diagnose? Or give suggestions?

I'm having some frame drops hovering between 59.9 to 58ish but sometimes as low as 55, and frametime seems to be all over the place stuttering even when I seem to have 60FPS. Thing is the game should run 60FPS easy with my 980 at 1080p... My gpu usage is reading 65% or so max. Problems continue even on the lowest settings. The only modification I made was turning off the AO in game and enabling 'Quality' in the control panel for HBOA+

No real issues with GZ other than a small hitch when it would autosave.

My specs
64 Bit Win10
Intel i7CPU, 860 @2.8ghz
Installed on SSD
Nvidia 980gtx
12 GB of RAM

In game 1080p, Everything maxed except AO off and HBOA+ like mentioned above.

Any tips would be appreciated.

ineji

Neo Member
Anyone else getting single digits when scrolling through the word lists on the emblem customisation screen?

980 with latest drivers so I'm struggling to understand why this is an issue. I get 60FPS in game!

it's a bug, apparently fixed in the beta branch

LordAmused

Yeah it happened to me a few times. 970 + I5 4690.

KingBroly

Banned
I've been getting constant hitching problems ever since 1.01. I have no idea what's causing it, either. Before it was smooth 1080/60 with everything and HBAO+ maxed. Now it seems like no matter what I turn down it hitches every 5-6 seconds or so.

i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz
8gb ram
MSi GTX 970

This is not really a performance problem but maybe y'all can help me. What is the best controller to use for pc I don't really like the xbox layout and right now I'm using a Logitech F310 and for some reason when I'm in analog mode it keeps moving my character even though the stick is in neutral. I'm on Windows 10 as well so I don't know if any drivers are out there yet for non microsoft products.

comrade

Can anyone help diagnose? Or give suggestions?

I'm having some frame drops hovering between 59.9 to 58ish but sometimes as low as 55, and frametime seems to be all over the place stuttering even when I seem to have 60FPS. Thing is the game should run 60FPS easy with my 980 at 1080p... My gpu usage is reading 65% or so max. Problems continue even on the lowest settings. The only modification I made was turning off the AO in game and enabling 'Quality' in the control panel for HBOA+

No real issues with GZ other than a small hitch when it would autosave.

My specs
64 Bit Win10
Intel i7CPU, 860 @2.8ghz
Installed on SSD
Nvidia 980gtx
12 GB of RAM

In game 1080p, Everything maxed except AO off and HBOA+ like mentioned above.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Your gpu usage being so low I'd say it's a CPU bottleneck. I have an i5 4690k @ 4.5ghz and a 980ti and gpu usage is 99%.

This is not really a performance problem but maybe y'all can help me. What is the best controller to use for pc I don't really like the xbox layout and right now I'm using a Logitech F310 and for some reason when I'm in analog mode it keeps moving my character even though the stick is in neutral. I'm on Windows 10 as well so I don't know if any drivers are out there yet for non microsoft products.

Dualshock 4 or Xbox One controller are really the best options. Both work on Windows 10.

Kvik

I've updated my DS4 button icons mod for TPP. DS3 version and other fluff (lines in the options menu) coming when I can force myself to stop playing for a while.

Excellent work as always, Holdfing.

Hopefully someone can make a mod to remove all the ending credits post-mission. I get that it was supposed to be episodic in nature much akin to TV episodes, but for me it loses its novelty after 10 episodes or so.

Gaffi

Your gpu usage being so low I'd say it's a CPU bottleneck. I have an i5 4690k @ 4.5ghz and a 980ti and gpu usage is 99%.

Dualshock 4 or Xbox One controller are really the best options. Both work on Windows 10.

Mmm, I mean you appear to be right as my cpu, i7-860 @ 2.8ghz doesn't seem to meet the recommended minimum spec of i5-4460 3.40 ghz... But I always though the CPU requirements were a bit inflated these days. My Rivia tuner and task manager only list my cpu usage around 60-70% though, would that not rule out a CPU bottleneck?

If it helps it seems to be when out in the open with long draw distances. I don't seem to notice as much inside building or in the Prologue.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, I don't get it. I have no clue why my game is stuttering on me. RAM (40-50%~), VRAM (1500mb~) and CPU usage (42-55%) all look fine. The game is stuttering on me on the Title Screen. What did 1.01 on PC do?

comrade

Mmm, I mean you appear to be right as my cpu, i7-860 @ 2.8ghz doesn't seem to meet the recommended minimum spec of i5-4460 3.40 ghz... But I always though the CPU requirements were a bit inflated these days. My Rivia tuner and task manager only list my cpu usage around 60-70% though, would that not rule out a CPU bottleneck?

If it helps it seems to be when out in the open with long draw distances. I don't seem to notice as much inside building or in the Prologue.

Usually the GPU utilization being so low means it's either badly optimized or it's a CPU bottleneck. This game being optimized really well leaves you with the CPU bottleneck. You should try googling your processor + overclock guide and see if it's something you would want to do.

Found one here: http://www.overclock.net/t/743111/g...e-core-i7-860-to-4-0ghz-on-a-evga-p55-ftw-200

Gaffi

Usually the GPU utilization being so low means it's either badly optimized or it's a CPU bottleneck. This game being optimized really well leaves you with the CPU bottleneck. You should try googling your processor + overclock guide and see if it's something you would want to do.

Found one here: http://www.overclock.net/t/743111/g...e-core-i7-860-to-4-0ghz-on-a-evga-p55-ftw-200

I have no experience with OCing but a 2.8 to a 4.0 ghz is that normal? That sounds insane to me. But I believe you are probably right, this cpu is quite out of date by now. I'll just continue to play my ps4 version and save up for a new CPU and wait out for a good gsync monitor. If nothing else the future is always brighter.

comrade

I have no experience with OCing but a 2.8 to a 4.0 ghz is that normal? That sounds insane to me. But I believe you are probably right, this cpu is quite out of date by now. I'll just continue to play my ps4 version and save up for a new CPU and wait out for a good gsync monitor. If nothing else the future is always brighter.

You don't have to go for 4 GHz. Could aim for 3.5 and use lower voltage. Overclocking really isn't hard. I would suggest when you do buy a new CPU before you install it mess around with overclocking your old one. I've overclocked pretty much every CPU I've ever had and never had a problem.

ref

For those having FPS issues with the emblem editor, opt into the latest beta on Steam for TPP.

Fixes the issue for me.

10 hours now without a single issue to do with unlocking the framerate. Haven't been keeping tabs on FPS, but from what I can tell it's def. 99% of the time 100+ fps @ 1440p, maxed out with HBAO+.

SLI 980's
I7 4790k @ 4.7
16GBs of RAM
ROG Swift

LQX

Game runs amazing but cant get Nvidia DSR settings to apply and hitting optimal seems to lower games settings when I go check them in game.

Guys, I need to know your helicopter song of choice.

I'm personally rocking D.DMX "ROUGH RIDERS"

Sometimes I switch to Long Tall Sally or the MGS1 theme.

The moments you can have when your helicopter comes in, blasting music, are always so great.

Cult Of Personality.

Grassy

Game runs amazing but cant get Nvidia DSR settings to apply and hitting optimal seems to lower games settings when I go check them in game.

Are you using Geforce Experience? I tested DSR through the Nvidia Control Panel yesterday and it worked fine with the 355.82 drivers.

Top Bottom