• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

cap167

Neo Member
Would it be possible to max out settings on a laptop that has an i7 cpu and 16 gigs of ram along with 870m gpu @ 1080p and get 60fps?

bongpig

Neo Member
Would it be possible to max out settings on a laptop that has an i7 cpu and 16 gigs of ram along with 870m gpu @ 1080p and get 60fps?

I dont think so. But you wont be too far off with some setting fiddling. My 7970m is not too far behind your card. With all settings maxed I get 50fps at 720p. For me, lighting is the main culprit. If I want 1080 at 60fps, I simply cant hit it with lighting at extra high, even if all the other settings are at their lowest.

Depends on your CPU. This dude is doing just fine

There's a big difference when you hit exterior scenes at night with lots of lights. I would bet his framerate will drop below 60 in these circumstances.

Kade

This game, Ground Zeroes and the Dark Souls games are the only games that make my video card run as quietly as it does when my computer is booting up after being off for hours. It's crazy.

Diablos

I really really really want to buy this game BUT:

I have a FX 6300 (light OC, up to ~3.7GHz, RAM and FSB slightly bumped up as well but nothing insane) and a GTX 660 non-Ti.

What kind of settings/performance can I expect? I see the system requirements suggest an i7 CPU!

I will be playing at 1080p.

bongpig

Neo Member
I really really really want to buy this game BUT:

I have a FX 6300 (light OC, up to ~3.7GHz, RAM and FSB slightly bumped up as well but nothing insane) and a GTX 660 non-Ti.

What kind of settings/performance can I expect? I see the system requirements suggest an i7 CPU!

I will be playing at 1080p.

You should be able to easily hit PS4 quality at the very least. I would be surprised if you couldn't run it well with all settings on high.

cap167

Neo Member
I dont think so. But you wont be too far off with some setting fiddling. My 7970m is not too far behind your card. With all settings maxed I get 50fps at 720p. For me, lighting is the main culprit. If I want 1080 at 60fps, I simply cant hit it with lighting at extra high, even if all the other settings are at their lowest.

There's a big difference when you hit exterior scenes at night with lots of lights. I would bet his framerate will drop below 60 in these circumstances.

Thanks for the responses guys, btw my CPU is an i7 4710HQ.

zXe

I tried capping with RTSS on my 970 and I had crazy tearing/stutter when panning the camera? I had v-sync off in game. Do you guys play fullscreen or borderless when you cap with RTSS?

The unlocked framerate makes me happy. Now I can take advantage of GSync.

Capping the framerate without some kind of Vsync is not going to eliminate tearing. Actually, at a perfect 60 fps cap, the tearing could be super bad because it could potentially happen at the same position on the screen with every refresh. The framerate matches the refresh but they wouldn't synched.

I have a 5960x, shouldn't be. I should note I have it overclocked to 4 GHz.

What is your GPU usage in these scenes? I cannot imagine it is near 90%. I play @ 1620p with a single TItan X and it is around 60-80% GPU usage usually for 60fps. You should get quite a lot more @ 1440p with two titan Xs.

Who

Banned
Laptop specs:

4th Gen Intel® CoreTM i5-4210U processor (2.7GHz Turbo, 1.7GHz Base)

8GB DDR3L memory

NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M 2GB graphics

Will this even be worth buying?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Game flawless fantastic for me, except for instances where the game seems to be loading at certain cut-scenes. Is this normal?

RK9039

mgsvtpp2015-09-0600-2zizkr.png

Dreams really do come true.

Naedtrax

Banned
I hate to be that guy, but how do i do the lua edit thing?

Sitting at 1880p stable on a single highly clocked Titan X, and would like to push it a bit more.

Also, is anyone else getting an input delay whenever you fps changes? I unlocked it and i still get it, bloody hell it's annoying.. especially when it happens in the middle of action

laxu

Use Sfx 1.5.1, not Reshade. They hook in differently, and Sfx 1.5.1, using the 64bit dxgi.dll DX11 injector works perfectly. ReShade hooks in a new way that gets detected by the game and doesn't work.

Do you mean Boulotaur's injector? With that I still get some error using the X64 dxgi.dll.

EDIT: ReShade 0.10.0 actually works fine. Anything later doesn't.

bongpig

Neo Member
Laptop specs:

4th Gen Intel® CoreTM i5-4210U processor (2.7GHz Turbo, 1.7GHz Base)

8GB DDR3L memory

NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M 2GB graphics

Will this even be worth buying?

Depends on what you consider essential. For example, do you mind gaming at 30fps? Is 1080p a must for you? etc

SomTervo

I'm only recently back to PC gaming, and I played MGSV for about an hour earlier today.

Hit the open world, and it runs like butter. Like creamy home made butter. Unreal. I've sunk about 40 hours into it on PS4, and while it runs great on that console, PC is a different ballgame.

Anyone got any hacks/ticks to improve the graphics further? Eg draw distance, etc.

Running flawlessly for me.
16gb Ram
I7 4770

Playing with everything on max aside from post processing on high, 1440p, and its almost 60fps solid. Get dips to 45 or so when zooming in with the binocs

bongpig

Neo Member
Not at all. I'd be fine with it playing at 360 levels as long as it's a somewhat smooth and enjoyable experience

In that case you'll have no trouble. It'll be better then 360 for sure. Im confident you could achieve PS4/XB1 visuals if you are happy playing at 30fps at 720p. Maybe even 1080p.

JackHerer

What is your GPU usage in these scenes? I cannot imagine it is near 90%. I play @ 1620p with a single TItan X and it is around 60-80% GPU usage usually for 60fps. You should get quite a lot more @ 1440p with two titan Xs.

I'm only getting ~76% usage in both GPUs.

KurtFehl

I've got a 1080p monitor. I can play this game maxed out at 1080p and 60fps. If I want to play at 4k downsampled, what would be the settings to sacrifice just so I can play at the higher resolution? I can't exactly max it out at 4k and have smooth 60 fps. Anyone on a similar situation?

My specs are
Titan X
i7 4790k
16gb RAM

I'm not OC'ing

ref

I hate to be that guy, but how do i do the lua edit thing?

Sitting at 1880p stable on a single highly clocked Titan X, and would like to push it a bit more.

Also, is anyone else getting an input delay whenever you fps changes? I unlocked it and i still get it, bloody hell it's annoying.. especially when it happens in the middle of action

Download this.
Extract it to the 'master' folder in your MGSV directory. (Steam/steamapps/common/MGS_TPP)
Shift+Right Click the 'master' folder and select 'Open Command Window here'.
Type in: MGSV_QAR_Tool data1.dat -r
Now it should have created a 'Data 1' folder in the 'master' directory.
Inside the new 'Data 1' folder, replace the file.

sfried

Lighting is more of a GPU effect isn't it?

Because I saw a video of a dude with a 960 and an FX6300 OC'd at 4.5Ghz who ran the game at a locked 60 on ultra.

Thought it was BS at first but he actually shows the settings in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyqFfRoUP0

Though the 6300 does have better single threaded performance than the 8120, so perhaps that gave it the edge it needed.

Edit: Okay, some minor dips to 50, but still. Quite impressive considering the CPU :
My performance is also similar. It's usually 60fps in not-too-busy scenes, but it dips to around 50-45ish when around Mother Base at night. Framerate becomes a solid 60 though once Lighting is turned down to High. I only have an AMD FX 4350, but was thinking of upgrading to an FX 8370 or 9590 (I'd refer not to overclock anything though).
They just did their Phantom pain version of that article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...best-pc-hardware-for-metal-gear-solid-5-on-pc

So it's:

That Low Model Detail is a killer, because despite the name it's not just LOD but also also Draw Distance.
Thanks for this. I might go ahead and set lighting to High, although I think is the light bounding off the walls that actually eat up my GPU performance especially when its doing it on buildings in the far off distance.

On the other hand, though, is Lighting on High considered bad?

Aerobatics

Neo Member
Guys, I need to know your helicopter song of choice.

I'm personally rocking D.DMX "ROUGH RIDERS"

Sometimes I switch to Long Tall Sally or the MGS1 theme.

The moments you can have when your helicopter comes in, blasting music, are always so great.

Ketch

The only performance issue I have with the game is massive frame rate issues in the emblem editor of all places. Anyone else experience this?

i7-4702HQ
8 GB RAM
GTX 765m 2 GB

I'm able to fully max this thing out and play it on my 900p screen with the 30 fps lock at a mostly locked 30, with some dips down to the 20s when things get real dicey. Figured that running everything on what it chose for me (mostly high with some scaled back) only gave me locked 60s sometimes and it was mostly 50s I'd rather have the game look real nice at 30 than console settings at 60.

Still looks pretty good even at 900p

The only performance issue I have with the game is massive frame rate issues in the emblem editor of all places. Anyone else experience this?
Yes, it's a problem affecting everyone on PC I believe. However there is a beta patch which is supposed to fix it.

The moments you can have when your helicopter comes in, blasting music, are always so great.
I have a 60's Vietnam throwback with my Chopper' music. Either All A long the Watchtower or Voodoo Chile'. Any excuse to listen to some Hendrix.

Currently it's Kenny Loggins - Dangerzone or Genesis - Land of Confusion.

I've been keeping it period appropriate for now.

ride of the valkeries

tangentially related, but i'm not seeing any of the cassettes i pick up in the world show up anywhere in my iDroid for me to chose. weird glitch or am i missing something?

Top Bottom