• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: There's a framerate unlock found also.
FomZ5nx.png

Modifying the extracted graphics files.

That's just me running out of VRAM. Still playing around to find something good and worthwhile/playable. Might release a "screenshot" settings config, but I'm probably going to be busy this weekend and not able to end up doing it.

Where is the config file located?

edit: nevermind, was already answered later in the thread:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Metal_...in#Remove_FPS_Cap_.28Fixes_Adaptive_V-Sync.29

stufte

Been playing for over 20 hours, and suddenly in the last few hours I've been getting major hitching. Like, freeze the game for 2 or 3 seconds every so often. It's completely ruining the game for me. I've tried lowering textures, model detail, shadows, post effects. Nothing helps. It runs at a solid 60fps at every other point.

I have an i7 3820 @ 3.6 , GTX 690, 16GB Ram... I'm stumped.

ref

Patch is probably emblem editor patch.

Can no longer opt into it for beta, and if you were opted into it, the 'beta' at the end of the title in Steam is gone.

Been playing for over 20 hours, and suddenly in the last few hours I've been getting major hitching. Like, freeze the game for 2 or 3 seconds every so often. It's completely ruining the game for me. I've tried lowering textures, model detail, shadows, post effects. Nothing helps. It runs at a solid 60fps at every other point.

I have an i7 3820 @ 3.6 , GTX 690, 16GB Ram... I'm stumped.

No joke, I've just come across this as well. No idea what might be causing it. Game's run beautifully until now.

i5 3570K, GTX 660ti, 8GB of RAM. Just as stumped as you.

KingBroly

Banned
No joke, I've just come across this as well. No idea what might be causing it. Game's run beautifully until now.

i5 3570K, GTX 660ti, 8GB of RAM. Just as stumped as you.

The latest patch seems to have fixed things up for me mostly, but I was struggling with this issue with my GTX 970 for the past couple of days. No idea what was causing it, either.

The latest patch seems to have fixed things up for me mostly, but I was struggling with this issue with my GTX 970 for the past couple of days. No idea what was causing it, either.

I'll double check on the patch. For all I know it dropped while I was playing and didn't update.

After the disaster Arkham Knight, it's refreshing knowing there are multi-platform games like this that run like a dream.

I've been playing this on keyboard, and it works surprisingly well. Though, I do have an issue where a random button will press down and I'm not sure why, I think it has to do with alt+tabing. Example: I'll be on the horse and Snake will randomly do the side-hiding thing on it, or randomly the Steam overlay will come up.

laxu

I've been playing this on keyboard, and it works surprisingly well. Though, I do have an issue where a random button will press down and I'm not sure why, I think it has to do with alt+tabing. Example: I'll be on the horse and Snake will randomly do the side-hiding thing on it, or randomly the Steam overlay will come up.

I've also been getting this sometimes, I thought it was my keyboard getting a stuck key. Usually it's the D key (move right) for me.

I've also been getting this sometimes, I thought it was my keyboard getting a stuck key. Usually it's the D key (move right) for me.
I notice that when it happens, it stays consistent with a key during that play time. So, yesterday's sitting, it was just tab while tonight's was C.

Orcastar

Game's been running very smoothly on max settings and HBAO+ apart from the annoying hitching every time the game autosaves, but yesterday I did mission 13 and the cutscene of Snake arriving in
Africa
tanked my FPS down to single digits. As soon as the cutscene ended and I got control again it jumped back to 60 and stayed there throughout the mission. Really weird since this is the only time something like this has happened so far.

Running on i5 2500k @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 980, 16 GB RAM.

Game's been running very smoothly on max settings and HBAO+ apart from the annoying hitching every time the game autosaves, but yesterday I did mission 13 and the cutscene of Snake arriving in
Africa
tanked my FPS down to single digits. As soon as the cutscene ended and I got control again it jumped back to 60 and stayed there throughout the mission. Really weird since this is the only time something like this has happened so far.

Running on i5 2500k @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 980, 16 GB RAM.

Yeah it's a known issue, I think mainly related to effects. I had it drop there and then an entire several minute cutscene later on that was running in single digits the whole time, and that's with my effects setting turned down one notch. Similar setup to you but with a 980ti. Thankfully in 30+ hours those two instances were the only ones for me.

The game isn't letting me change my resolution. :/ I set the game to a different resolution, and it tells me that the changes have been made, but the resolution never actually changes. The resolution is so low that the text is all chunky and weird looking. It bizarre.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I made a super easy to use extreme graphics mod.

new_extra_high_settings_cropped_by_aloooo81-d98owgz.gif

Download link: Without FXAA | With FXAA

Install instructions:
Extract this zip to your "MGS_TPP\master" folder.
Run the "Run This - Extra Extra High Settings.bat" file.
Launch the game.

Here is the new settings configuration with the file.

Low settings = Original Extra High
High Settings = Playable extended settings
ExtraHigh Settings = Extreme settings for screenshots

If your PC has everything maxed out and has performance to spare, then you should probably check it out. Keep in mind that ExtraHigh is VERY taxing and you most likely will not hold 60fps with it.

Do I have a CPU bottleneck? I have a 4790k@4ghz and my 980 never goes above 75%. And sometimes I will get frame drops into the high 40's. Something ain't right.

Mupod

good lord an entire episode 29 cutscene just ran at 4fps unless I stared at the roof of the chopper. I think I'll finally bump effects down a notch. I wanna try that framerate unlock while I'm at it.

JimPanzer

Do I have a CPU bottleneck? I have a 4790k@4ghz and my 980 never goes above 75%. And sometimes I will get frame drops into the high 40's. Something ain't right.

I guess that happens when there's alot of smoke, dust or something similar? Happens to me too with two GTX970's. Guess it's something about those alpha effects which make the framerate go down no matter what.

Buburibon

That happens to me as well. It was particularly bad during this one mission
at a power plant in Afghanistan
. GPU usage was never higher than 65%, yet frame rate hovered around 45-55fps causing major stutter. Lowering settings/resolution didn't matter. CPU load didn't seem particularly high either, so it might have something to do with the game engine itself.

5820K @ 4.5Ghz
Titan X @ 1304Mhz
Win 10 64-bit

That happens to me as well. It was particularly bad during this one mission
at a power plant in Afghanistan
. GPU usage was never higher than 65%, yet frame rate hovered around 45-55fps causing major stutter. Lowering settings/resolution didn't matter. CPU load didn't seem particularly high either, so it might have something to do with the game engine itself.

5820K @ 4.5Ghz
Titan X @ 1304Mhz
Win 10 64-bit
Yeah. I don't think the game is that PC friendly to be honest. I mean it is fairly well optimized as a cross platform game but as a PC game in its own right it doesn't compare to other PC only games that have a dedicated PC developed engine. I mean I can play Witcher 3 @1440p with most settings at their highest and get 60fps most of the time. And it is a better looking game, not that MGSV is shabby or anything.

jett

D-Member
Is anyone else on a 280X getting framedrops in heavily forested areas? Suddenly my machine can't hang at 60fps there.

Kvik

Would you guys like to see a TPP modding thread? We have three so far from a few of our own:

Install instructions:
Launch the game.

If your PC has everything maxed out and has performance to spare, then you should probably check it out. Keep in mind that ExtraHigh is VERY taxing and you most likely will not hold 60fps with it.

I've updated my DS4 button icons mod for TPP. DS3 version and other fluff (lines in the options menu) coming when I can force myself to stop playing for a while.

I've made a quick mod here to play as Quiet. It replaces the Solid Snake costume from MGS1:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3x_yY0gnj5sS2xaRkZaLUUyTEU

Just be sure to follow the instructions properly. You'll need to work a little as I didn't feel like uploading a 1.5Gb file so instead I'm explaining how to extract, replace a file in and repack the archive.

NC60TCX.jpg

If nobody has laid claim to it, I might as well create it.

Tovarisc

Install instructions:
Launch the game.

Thanks for "Easy to Install" package, will definitely check this out. What kind FPS hit you are seeing on your setup [what it's?] when using Extended Extra High settings? I assume Extreme is done with "1 FPS is 1 screenshot per second" mentality :D

Guys, I need to know your helicopter song of choice.

I'm personally rocking D.DMX "ROUGH RIDERS"

Sometimes I switch to Long Tall Sally or the MGS1 theme.

The moments you can have when your helicopter comes in, blasting music, are always so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDwjm-JcHT8&index=20&list=PLC_dotIjiJDqZisKQywG7HSewlIn8QT1Q

alternatively:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

edit: actually I'm gona change it to this tonight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhDelcBdnkw (bionic Jive - ricochet )
c4 splosions at 2:06

Now I'm hyped to play again.

:D I like this one too

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, my download on Steam just restarted from scratch. Dont know what the fuck happened. Closed Steam last night properly, and then this happened. I was at 16 GB downloaded. :/ Has anyone faced this issue?

try Effects to High and maybe turn off HBAO+

HBAO has such a huge visual impact...

I noticed that my performance hasn't been what it was a few days ago, I actually get some drops here and there. Not sure why.
They're very slight (usually to like 57 fps and only for a second) and seem to mostly happen when I use the binoculars to look at an open detailed area for some reason.

Maybe I should OC, I haven't oced my gpu and supposedly this asus strix is an OC beast. 10 percent OC should stop those high 50s dips xD
Downsampling is too good to give up, HBAO is too good to give up and the fps drops are so rare. It still bothers me though because it was flawless before. Starting to think a patch did fuck with things like others said a few days ago.

I guess that happens when there's alot of smoke, dust or something similar? Happens to me too with two GTX970's. Guess it's something about those alpha effects which make the framerate go down no matter what.

I too have slowdowns with dust or smoke close to camera. Does not happen very often, though, but it is quite noticeable when it does.

I7 3770k stock @3,5ghz
Gtx 970 stock

I too have slowdowns with dust or smoke close to camera. Does not happen very often, though, but it is quite noticeable when it does.

I7 3770k stock @3,5ghz
Gtx 970 stock
That would be the extra high effects option. I am thinking of making a video and screenshot comparison to show off the difference.

bongpig

Neo Member
I've noticed a subtle quirk and was wondering if anybody has seen the same. Basically I've lowered my settings to give me a very solid vsynced 50fps ( im using a 50hz display ). Using an ingame frame counter, I can see the game is running at 50fps without any drops. If I stand still and look around, its smooth as butter. But if im moving while looking, the game stutters. At no point does the frame counter drop below 50.

Anybody have any idea whats going on?

Top Bottom