• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

thirty

Banned
WiiU will do just fine. Nintendo will make money off it and release some great first party games. I am not interested in WiiU but I don't like this bashing, it reminds me of PS3 bashing. Give nintendo at least 2 years.

I don't think it will be as successful as Wii but it will make money for big N

Not to be a downer but what can we truly expect? We got new Mario in hd basically, power wise can we expect more than Wii galaxy and zelda in hd? Or will there we a noticeable leap?

ozfunghi

Are you referring to Nintendo supposedly shitcanning EA's proposal to have Origin on Wii U?

That's one of the theories. I don't know what happened, but going from "unprecedented support" to one launch game with one game in the pipeline... i think it's safe to assume something happened. Maybe they just got wind of the horribly slow CPU, lol.

Announced, unreleased Wii U games published by EA:
-Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Announced, unreleased games published by EA that have platforms:
-Crysis 3
-Dead Space 3
-Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel
-Sim City
-Command & Conquer
-Overstrike
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14

Am I missing anything?

Damn that's rough

-Crysis 3
-Dead Space 3
-Sim City
-Command & Conquer
-Overstrike
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14

Am I missing anything?

Says it all really. There'll be even fewer Wii U games than that once they realise they can't possibly port PS4/720 games to hardware that doesn't even match up to the PS3/360.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14

Surprised we haven't heard anything about Tiger Woods on the Wii U since it worked so well on the Wii. Hopefully EA will announce something at next e3.

fritolay

If you were to go back to the PS3 and XBOX 360 launch, and were to look in the future and see that the Wii U will match them 6+ years in the future, people would never believe you.

The weak US dollar may be Microsoft's biggest ally.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Man...I just thinking about multiplatform games at this point between PS4, 720, PC and WiiU. Wondering how it will play out in the long run.

Lets be friends! I totally think the same way :D

Well to contribute to the topic, since I'm not terribly knowledgeable about development-processes and hardware itself I might appear very stupid with that question and I'm sure it has been asked before though from what I read the Wii U has much more "standardized technology" than the Wii even though it lacks raw power so wouldn't it be possible to port PS4/720 games in the same way I can still run BF3 on a Dual-Core CPU with a 4770 and it just wouldn't look pretty but would be playable?

You're a good example to what I've been saying for awhile.

People appear to like comparing consoles to PCs and you just can't.

1) PCs have a lot of overhead. The OS, other applications, the API and etc. So, it takes beefier specs to get some serious visuals on a PC. Plus, not every PC is the same, so developers have to develop software that would work for most PCs and not just one universal piece of hardware.

2) Consoles are specifically designed for games. So, their architecture is slightly different than a PC. Plus, there isn't as much overhead. Also, since consoles are the same among everyone who buys one, developers can use tricks which are guaranteed to work with every console (See Halo 4 for example). Not only that, but developers have direct access to the hardware which could push out even better visuals.

Don't compare your desktop PC to a console. You'll just confuse yourself.

I understand that DICE and the Metro people probably aren't happy with the Wii U since they might need to cut the numbers of players in multiplayer and have other shortcomings with their games and I also understand that porting games to the Wii was a sheer impossible task thanks to the vastly different architecture and setup though shouldn't Wii U (down)porting be a much smaller effort now compared to then and this time actually turn out profitable for publishers when they add Wii U game sales to the other two platforms?

I don't want to troll, these things just really make me curious :)

That's called BS.
The GPU is capable of instructions commonly done on the CPU. This alleviates a lot of work from the CPU. So, if you look at it, it's like running a quad core APU. So, taking players away from multiplayer or doing stupid stuff like that is unnecessary.

Also, it's not impossible to port games from 7-6 year old hardware to something more modern. It's just that developers have been so used to offloading a ton of crap to the CPU and are totally new to programming to a GPGPU. Now, I believe the CPU in the WiiU is slow. However, I believe it was intentional to get developers to program for the much superior GPGPU. However, developers get lazy and don't want to do it. They want to simply ignore the GPGPU and simply copy and paste their games to the WiiU for a quick buck.

-Crysis 3
-Dead Space 3
-Sim City
-Command & Conquer
-Overstrike
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14

Am I missing anything?

Dragon Age 3?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

1) PCs have a lot of overhead. The OS, other applications, the API and etc. So, it takes beefier specs to get some serious visuals on a PC. Plus, not every PC is the same, so developers have to develop software that would work for most PCs and not just one universal piece of hardware.

2) Consoles are specifically designed for games. So, their architecture is slightly different than a PC. Plus, there isn't as much overhead. Also, since consoles are the same among everyone who buys one, developers can use tricks which are guaranteed to work with every console (See Halo 4 for example). Not only that, but developers have direct access to the hardware which could push out even better visuals.

Don't compare your desktop PC to a console. You'll just confuse yourself.

That's called BS.
The GPU is capable of instructions commonly done on the CPU. This alleviates a lot of work from the CPU. So, if you look at it, it's like running a quad core APU. So, taking players away from multiplayer or doing stupid stuff like that is unnecessary.

Also, it's not impossible to port games from 7-6 year old hardware to something more modern. It's just that developers have been so used to offloading a ton of crap to the CPU and are totally new to programming to a GPGPU. Now, I believe the CPU in the WiiU is slow. However, I believe it was intentional to get developers to program for the much superior GPGPU. However, developers get lazy and don't want to do it. They want to simply ignore the GPGPU and simply copy and paste their games to the WiiU for a quick buck.
GPUs are terrible at running general purpose code, and it's only worth it for massively parallelizable problems like physics, video processing, or raster graphics.

TUROK

GPUs are terrible at running general purpose code, and it's only worth it for massively parallelizable problems like physics, video processing, or raster graphics.
Yep. Stream processors and CUDA cores still aren't anywhere near as good as running general purpose code like CPU's can.

Chronologically it is definitely 'next-gen'.

In terms of hardware I frankly have no idea if it's sub-current gen, current gen or current gen+. It's a weird piece of hardware like that.

It's next iteration hardware. I never thought time alone defined a hardware generation. I thought it was more about a generation leap in tech as in a gap. The WiiU doesn't have a tech gap on anything right now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's one of the theories. I don't know what happened, but going from "unprecedented support" to one launch game with one game in the pipeline... i think it's safe to assume something happened. Maybe they just got wind of the horribly slow CPU, lol.

Occam's Razor:
The "unprecedented support" remark was a bit of premature marketing buzz, John Riccitiello being on stage didn't mean shit

The Origin stuff is totally bogus and based on hysterical fan wishes and ambiguities in how Nintendo mentioned "flexibility for third parties to implement online services" and "working with third parties to meet online needs"

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
It's next iteration hardware. I never thought time alone defined a hardware generation. I thought it was more about a generation leap in tech as in a gap. The WiiU doesn't have a tech gap on anything right now.

I think that's a bit harsh, it has a tech gap to the Wii at least. :p

ozfunghi

Occam's Razor:
The "unprecedented support" remark was a bit of premature marketing buzz, John Riccitiello being on stage didn't mean shit

The Origin stuff is totally bogus and based on hysterical fan wishes and ambiguities in how Nintendo mentioned "flexibility for third parties to implement online services" and "working with third parties to meet online needs"

Nevertheless, even Wii got more EA support iirc. And i don't think it was only PR.

yogloo

With all this talks about how underpowered the wii u is, I thought of something interesting. Will the fact that the wii u is cheap and underpowered put nintendo in best position for cloud gaming?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
With all this talks about how underpowered the wii u is, I thought of something interesting. Will the fact that the wii u is cheap and underpowered put nintendo in best position for cloud gaming?

Cloud gaming is a huge money sink, Nintendo would be the last company to get into that business.

TheD

The Detective

You kind of can.
1) PCs have a lot of overhead. The OS, other applications, the API and etc. So, it takes beefier specs to get some serious visuals on a PC.

That is not completely true, sure the DX API can take up more CPU time than it should and yes you can not program to the metal on PC GPUs, but OSs take up just about nothing other than RAM, same with other programs unless they have been told to do something.

That's called BS.

No, what you just stated is the BS.

GPUs are only good at a small subset of code .

A lot of devs are not new to GPGPU programming.
In both the PC space and the 360 (due to it also having a GPGPU) (and Cell is also not far removed from the idea), it is just that it is not good for anything that is not easily parallelizable code.

No matter what, slow CPU = cutdowns or poor performance

Devs are not lazy!
You should just stop talking about things you do not understand.

How did we find out about exactly how terrible it was only this launch week?

By that, I mean, where were the dev comments saying "this system is shit, nothing runs properly" (hyperbole) before now?

Pooya

looking how the system uses less than 35w when running a game, the GPU is probably nothing special and low-end. Even a low end modern GPU still can outperform what ps360 have but is it enough to do GPGPU task on top of everything else?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Occam's Razor:

I feel I should note that same year JR started the EA press conference stating that they didn't need awkward celebrity appearances, and then 15 minutes later they brought out awkward football stars.

Man

Man...I just thinking about multiplatform games at this point between PS4, 720, PC and WiiU. Wondering how it will play out in the long run.
Outside of the first year Wii U won't be part of this ecosystem.
You'll see X360/PS3/Wii-U titles sure but those big AAA 3rd party games will be developed for the high-end consoles and PC in mind.

Momentary

Banned
Wii U doesn't have a weird architecture... It basically uses the equivalent of parts you can buy at new egg sans their controller. It just has a weak GPU and CPU compared to what's out today on the PC market. I don't know if anyone has seen actual gameplay of Metro: Last Light, but to get that game to run on 360 and PS3 is a miracle enough and Far Cry 3 is suffering from low frame rate and screen tearing. These systems are on their last leg. When their new iterations are released and everyone is using DirectX 11 and whatever Sony's equivalent to that is going to be, then, unless the Wii U is the basis for development, you're going to see some horrible downports or no ports on the console. Developers shouldn't have to be forced to downgrade their game just because a company decided to release a product that's targeted to families who are just looking for a fun experience and not so much a graphical tour de force.

Some of the comments on here are so ignorant that I don't know if people are being sarcastic or if they are really that low on the intelligence scale or that naive about technology.

You kind of can.

That is not completely true, sure the DX API can take up more CPU time than it should and yes you can not program to the metal on PC GPUs, but OSs take up just about nothing other than RAM, same with other programs unless they have been told to do something.

This isn't true.
The OS takes up more resources than just RAM and a few cycles from the CPU. It's one of the reasons why several games run faster in Windows XP than in Windows 7 (outside of drivers).

No, what you just stated is the BS.

GPUs are only good at a small subset of code .

A lot of devs are not new to GPGPU programming.
In both the PC space and the 360 (due to it also having a GPGPU) (and Cell is also not far removed from the idea), it is just that it is not good for anything that is not easily parallelizable code.

No matter what, slow CPU = cutdowns or poor performance

That small subset of code extends further than you think. I'm not saying the GPGPU is a complete replacement of the CPU.
I'm saying it can take off a lot of stress from the CPU. I've said this already.

The GPU inside the Xbox 360 is an R520 based on the ATI Radeon X1800. AMD didn't start adapting GPGPU coding until a few years after the Xbox 360 was released. Therefore, the GPU inside the Xbox 360 wasn't designed from the ground up to support general purpose processing. To imply that developers are suddenly gurus at GPGPU is a bit silly. It's fairly new to all of us. Some developers _ARE_ lazy.

Devs are not lazy!
You should just stop talking about things you do not understand.

Don't quit your day job.

Wii U doesn't have a weird architecture... It basically uses the equivalent of parts you can buy at new egg sans their controller. It just has a weak GPU and CPU compared to what's out today on the PC market. I don't know if anyone has seen actual gameplay of Metro: Last Light, but to get that game to run on 360 and PS3 is a miracle enough and Far Cry 3 is suffering from low frame rate and screen tearing. These systems are on their last leg. When their new iterations are released and everyone is using DirectX 11 and whatever Sony's equivalent to that is going to be, then, unless the Wii U is the basis for development, you're going to see some horrible downports or no ports on the console. Developers shouldn't have to be forced to downgrade their game just because a company decided to release a product that's targeted to families who are just looking for a fun experience and not so much a graphical tour de force.

Some of the comments on here are so ignorant that I don't know if people are being sarcastic or if they are really that low on the intelligence scale or that naive about technology.

1) Hmm... Where can I buy a CPU and GPU from two manufacturers on the same silicon on Newegg? I'm not talking about an APU either.

2) Weak GPU? Dunno about that. No one knows what it is for sure, but we've got a few guesses.

3) You think Fary Cry 3 is demanding too much of the consoles? That's why it's doing all of that? Well, explain Halo 4 please.

4) Sony's equivalent to Direct X is OpenGL ES.

5) Down ports from the PS4 and X720? Somehow, I doubt it.

6) Some of the comments are ignorant? Does that also include your own?

i-Lo

Just watched the IGN review of NFL 13 and looks like the much touted "Infinity Engine" is missing.

Wii U version haz no physics. Another sloppy copy pasta job for quick cash grab. Meh, it's a video game of a game with collisions and a ball; who needs physics in it anyways? Fun>Attempted untenable realism.

Fugu

This argument should be used to describe why consoles are allowed to achieve superior visuals to PCs with identical specs. It has no relevance to the Wii U, which, while is of an uncertain composition, certainly does not contain anything resembling modern PC specs.

That's called BS.

This is an incredible leap of logic. You're saying that they intentionally gimped parts of their hardware to steer development in a certain direction?

In the case of the Wii U's CPU, though, one of its strength may actually be its ability to run general code efficient if its an upgrade of Broadway. The 360/PS3's CPU are apparently bad at running general code, and Broadway was only a little slower than a single core of the other systems in some things despite the significant clock frequency difference.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Unannounced Wii U game is my favorite game. Can't wait.

I know, RIGHT?! I should totally spend $350 on a console that's likely less reliable than one 6 months from now with a larger battery for games that are unannounced!

I've hated Nintendo's PR since after N64. Remember Nintendo ULTRA 64? They actually showed stuff off, specs AND games

This argument should be used to describe why consoles are allowed to achieve superior visuals to PCs with identical specs. It has no relevance to the Wii U, which, while is of an uncertain composition, certainly does not contain anything resembling modern PC specs.

This is an incredible leap of logic. You're saying that they intentionally gimped parts of their hardware to steer development in a certain direction?

In short. Yes.

TheD

The Detective
This isn't true.
The OS takes up more resources than just RAM and a few cycles from the CPU. It's one of the reasons why several games run faster in Windows XP than in Windows 7 (outside of drivers).

No, windows versions have very little speed difference when running programs.

That small subset of code extends further than you think. I'm not saying the GPGPU is a complete replacement of the CPU.
I'm saying it can take off a lot of stress from the CPU. I've said this already.

No it does not!
It can not take off anything that does not map well to it!

The GPU inside the Xbox 360 is an R520 based on the ATI Radeon X1800. AMD didn't start adapting GPGPU coding until a few years after the Xbox 360 was released. Therefore, the GPU inside the Xbox 360 wasn't designed from the ground up to support general purpose processing. To imply that developers are suddenly gurus at GPGPU is a bit silly. It's fairly new to all of us. Some developers _ARE_ lazy.

No it is not!
It is very dissimilar to the R520!
It is closer to the R600!

If the GPU in the WiiU is based off the rv740 then it is also not designed from the ground up for it! Only GPUs based on GCN are!

But Nvidia GPUs have been for sometime and devs do know what they are doing!

Calling devs lazy because they are telling the truth about a system you have a childish attachment to says a hell of a lot about you!

Don't quit your day job.

Don't quit yours!

Ryoku

Good lord. The GPU will be a customized chip, only based off of R700 line. What does this mean? It could be a customized R700 that is made to handle compute shading better than the actual R700 line. Or the whole point of Nintendo touting GPGPU is pointless.

Good lord. The GPU will be a customized chip, only based off of R700 line. What does this mean? It could be a customized R700 that is made to handle compute shading better than the actual R700 line. Or the whole point of Nintendo touting GPGPU is pointless.

I thought that the GPU in the Wii U was already demonstrated to be a thinly disguised R740, not unlike the RSX in PS3 which is pretty much just an NV47 with half the memory bandwidth. I doubt there is a bunch of customization in it.

My guess is that the eDRAM provides some benefit to using compute shaders. And that's probably the extent that it's a GPGPU any more than the others in the R700 line. It's certainly not going to be modified to the extent that it's comparable to Southern Islands at GPGPU. Way too many SRAM registers on those cards to duplicate at 40nm.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
A GPU is designed to take in a huge data set and run one instruction on each piece of data in the set. The amount of speed up that can be gained by running an algorithm on a GPU is a function of the size of the data set and how parallelizable the algorithm is. For example, UE4 uses the GPU to render over a million of particles without impacting game performance. That is a typical example of offloading work to the GPU. But if the CPU is clocked too slow to run the main game thread fast enough then the GPU won't help in that case.

KageMaru

The 360 GPU started out as R400, which was put on hold/put aside and eventually became the R500 with the development of Xenos. Didn't really have anything to do with the R520.

Also in an industry where budgets are a concern, I find it hard to believe any studio worth mentioning would keep a lazy dev employed. =P

Top Bottom