• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

TJP

I was happily playing with no issues until 4A released the last patch to fix a crash some users were experiencing on start-up. As soon as that installed i could no longer start either Metro 2033 or LL.

I've tried everything on-line (reinstalling direct X, deleting files, replacing the intro video with a text file,creating a new key in the registry etc.) and nothing has worked.
I've noted looking at the Steam forums that users who have either (or both) an GTX 780Ti and/or Windows 7 x64 have encountered issues. One poster mentions 4A have acknowledged several bugs: neither game will launch for users with an overclocked graphics cards and the games won't launch when the users OS is Windows 7 although I'm not certain the last bug is 100% true for all. FWIW, here is the 4A post history: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003352469/posthistory/

Edit: running both Metro games in DX10 apparently solves the issue of crashing entirely. I have random crashes in outdoor areas such as the lead up to the library; Metro 2033 has been rock solid apart from that.

D23

Finished metro 2033 for the first time.. yoooooo that was amazing. Really really underrated game. Gonna start the second one now!!!

Loving this remastered

Cubed

So, I was playing this on my PS4 just two hours ago and everything was fine. I went to boot it up again and now all of a sudden it's telling me I can't connect to the servers and when I go to start up the game it doesn't allow me to continue from where I left off.

The PSN is currently working and I have a save file in my system storage. I have no idea what the problem could be.

D23

So, I was playing this on my PS4 just two hours ago and everything was fine. I went to boot it up again and now all of a sudden it's telling me I can't connect to the servers and when I go to start up the game it doesn't allow me to continue from where I left off.

The PSN is currently working and I have a save file in my system storage. I have no idea what the problem could be.

Happens to me earlier. I just closed application and restart

Cubed

Happens to me earlier. I just closed application and restart
My whole system was acting weird so I just turned off the PlayStation and booted back up. Now everything is working fine. Well, I mean, the game is running and my save file is intact, but actually I'm having a problem with the game itself now. I'm in the ghosts chapter of metro 2033 and the guy I'm following is just standing still in a subway train and I can't go any further; I'm blocked by spiderwebs.

EDIT:
Nevermind... figured that out too. Thanks for telling me I needed to use the lighter, dick game!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Metro 2033 help:
I've just reached the library, I'm supposed to go open a door or something while my buddies block the entrance to keep a demon from getting in. I get upstairs to a broken wall, suddenly something is ticking and I die. Now I keep checkpointing at the broken wall with the ticking, and I keep dying within a few seconds. I don't know what the ticking is or why I'm dying.

What's going on here? Do I need to restart the whole chapter?

Edit: Whatever. I restarted and got by it.

Metro 2033 help:
I've just reached the library, I'm supposed to go open a door or something while my buddies block the entrance to keep a demon from getting in. I get upstairs to a broken wall, suddenly something is ticking and I die. Now I keep checkpointing at the broken wall with the ticking, and I keep dying within a few seconds. I don't know what the ticking is or why I'm dying.

What's going on here? Do I need to restart the whole chapter?

Edit: Whatever. I restarted and got by it.

lol, that ticking is your Geiger counter, you were in a radiation hotspot.

Dan

lol, that ticking is your Geiger counter, you were in a radiation hotspot.

It stayed ticking no matter where I quickly ran. Is that normal?

I didn't seem to encounter any radiation when I redid the section.

Cubed

This game really clicked for me at the start of chapter 3. If you look at my posting history in this thread I was unsure of the game before I bought it and then still had mixed reactions once I played the first few hours. However, something clicked when the game puts me against more human enemies and I am really starting to get in the groove. I just got to chapter 5.

I am just too stupid or what? I always forget how to throw knifes? Playing on PC with M/K.

I'm sure you figured it out by this point but it's really silly. You hold tab and then push the mouse up to select the knives. On ranger hardcore the menu is invisible so you have to go by sound. Really wish they'd kept the system from 2033 where you held all weapons instead of bringing Last Light's into 2033 Redux.

Press C to throw any of the four sub-weapons once selected.

I'm sure you figured it out by this point but it's really silly. You hold tab and then push the mouse up to select the knives. On ranger hardcore the menu is invisible so you have to go by sound. Really wish they'd kept the system from 2033 where you held all weapons instead of bringing Last Light's into 2033 Redux.

Press C to throw any of the four sub-weapons once selected.

i noticed in Ranger Hardcore that you can see your entire inventory and even change sub-weapons visually by just looking at your clipboard notes. on PS4 you press the touchpad to bring out the clipboard, then R2 to look at Artyom's notes.

i noticed in Ranger Hardcore that you can see your entire inventory and even change sub-weapons visually by just looking at your clipboard notes. on PS4 you press the touchpad to bring out the clipboard, then R2 to look at Artyom's notes.

I did notice that they added the inventory when you bring up your map(pretty sure that wasn't in the original versions) although I didn't realize it showed the equipped items too. Still, not very useful for when you're in battle and trying to switch weapons, lol.

stevil

So which one is the game to get Metro 2033 or Last Light (on pS4)?
I only want one (maybe if it is really good I will buy the other one as well).

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So which one is the game to get Metro 2033 or Last Light (on pS4)?
I only want one (maybe if it is really good I will buy the other one as well).

2033. Last Light is a direct sequel, so you might as well start with the first one.

2033 just has an unbeatable atmosphere. There's nothing really quite like it. Like the only thing I can remotley compare it too is a bit of FEAR mixed with the darker parts of Fallout 3. I just completed it and got the good ending. Its probably one my favorite games of all time!

GavinUK86

The only issue I have with 2033 is that the good ending, which felt right, is the non-canon ending.

I guess that's the pitfall of making sequels. One of the ending had to be the 'correct' one.

A prequel where you play as Khan would of been interesting though.

Sober

Making my way through the Last Light DLC stuff ... what the hell were they thinking with the Heavy Weapons Reich mission? Sweet jesus I had to turn it down to easy to make it bearable after the first dozen deaths.

The other two in the Faction pack are nice. The sniper/stealth one was okay but a bit short. I saved the Polis/Stalker one for last there, like how it's set up, actually, and gonna take my time with that one before moving on.

GavinUK86

Making my way through the Last Light DLC stuff ... what the hell were they thinking with the Heavy Weapons Reich mission? Sweet jesus I had to turn it down to easy to make it bearable after the first dozen deaths.

Yeah, the Reich DLC was complete rubbish.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Last Light is the better game.
I just finished LL, and I disagree. There are lots of small problems I have with LL that, in aggregate, really ruined the experience for me.

In 2033, I really loved that for most of the game you were just a single guy on a mission with a world around you that didn't care. You pass through a communist versus nazi war at points but it's never what the game is about. You're occasionally joined by characters who ultimately leave you because they have their own interests or are otherwise killed. It wasn't until the *very* end that the game even pretended you might be a special hero sort. You spent most of the game as an errand boy just trying to save his home while the adults dealt with their own issues. I really admired that.

In LL, you're the chosen special hero right away. The nazis explicitly hate you. The commis explicitly hate you. You get to be present for major tactical decisions. You have a *fucking awful* love story (the only female character in the game is a sassy character who hates you until she's cured by your magic dick, Bond-style). Going outside felt less *special*. In 2033, it was a big fucking deal when you had to go to the surface. In LL, it's just a matter of routine.

Yeah. I don't know. LL felt like a version of 2033 with all the pointy edges filed away. Yawn.

GavinUK86

Last Light felt like the post-apocalyptic Russia answer to Call of Duty. 4A tried to remedy 2033 to appeal to more mainstream FPS gamers. Not saying there's anything wrong with that because I love Last Light, but you can tell. 2033 didn't sell great, then they made changes for Last Light and it sold better.

Personally, 2033 is the better game, even more so with Redux, but both are far superior to 99% of FPS on the market today anyway.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Played through 2033 Redux on Survivor and (I think) Normal difficulty?

Got stuck once without enough air filters at the end of the first above ground mission and had to restart back in the previous metro station.

Then never again (I bought the crap out of the filters whenever I could).

Overall I really, really enjoyed it. Atmospheric, tense, great world-building, great stealth and gunplay.

But so many unanswered questions!

On to Last Light!

GavinUK86

Did the Nosalis ever do this in the OG 2033? I don't remember ever seeing that.

pcxciu.gif

Did the Nosalis ever do this in the OG 2033? I don't remember ever seeing that.

pcxciu.gif

Yeah they don't show up much in 2033 but they do show up. I remember during
the trip to D6 with Miller and the other rangers there was a encounter with those, that's about the only place I can remember though.

Gurish

Have to admit, i like the atmosphere, story, visuals etc... but i really don't like the gameplay itself, enemy encounter design is pretty bad, stealth without the ability to peak or use any radar or tools is not fun, too many waves of enemies to kill, it feels a little uninspired and badly design in that department, anyone feels the same about Metro:2033 Redux? Does it get better in LL?

In LL you fight mostly against humans or monsters? Does it have any improvements over 2033's gameplay?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just finished LL, and I disagree. There are lots of small problems I have with LL that, in aggregate, really ruined the experience for me.

In 2033, I really loved that for most of the game you were just a single guy on a mission with a world around you that didn't care. You pass through a communist versus nazi war at points but it's never what the game is about. You're occasionally joined by characters who ultimately leave you because they have their own interests or are otherwise killed. It wasn't until the *very* end that the game even pretended you might be a special hero sort. You spent most of the game as an errand boy just trying to save his home while the adults dealt with their own issues. I really admired that.

In LL, you're the chosen special hero right away. The nazis explicitly hate you. The commis explicitly hate you. You get to be present for major tactical decisions. You have a *fucking awful* love story (the only female character in the game is a sassy character who hates you until she's cured by your magic dick, Bond-style). Going outside felt less *special*. In 2033, it was a big fucking deal when you had to go to the surface. In LL, it's just a matter of routine.

Yeah. I don't know. LL felt like a version of 2033 with all the pointy edges filed away. Yawn.

You're treated like a hero in the second game BECAUSE OF YOUR ACTIONS IN THE FIRST game. From the Rangers perspective Artyoms actions enabled them to acquire D6 AND kill the Dark Ones who were (from the Rangers perspective) their greatest threat. You have established credibility as a guy who can get things done and worthy of the Ranger order. The Nazi's and Commie's hate you because the Rangers have control of D6, which whoever controls has a distinct tactical advantage. None of that is remotely forced. I do agree with the love story being somewhat lame, but I think you are wayyyy off the mark in your other assessments.

Cudder

Have to admit, i like the atmosphere, story, visuals etc... but i really don't like the gameplay itself, enemy encounter design is pretty bad, stealth without the ability to peak or use any radar or tools is not fun, too many waves of enemies to kill, it feels a little uninspired and badly design in that department, anyone feels the same about Metro:2033 Redux? Does it get better in LL?

In LL you fight mostly against humans or monsters? Does it have any improvements over 2033's gameplay?

Totally disagree. The enemy encounter design is incredible. When they introduce new enemies such as the Librarian and the creatures that burrow in the holes all around you, they present interesting challenges that I haven't seen before. It totally changes how you play certain sections. Going from playing the Metro games to Destiny is just laughable. If you want badly designed encounters, just play Destiny. A total 180 from Metro.

Gurish

Totally disagree. The enemy encounter design is incredible. When they introduce new enemies such as the Librarian and the creatures that burrow in the holes all around you, they present interesting challenges that I haven't seen before. It totally changes how you play certain sections. Going from playing the Metro games to Destiny is just laughable. If you want badly designed encounters, just play Destiny. A total 180 from Metro.
Most encounters have been just waves after waves, didn't see any "design" here, stealth sucks, once someone see you they never stop coming, I feel the design is sloppy, some levels requires you to keep going through endless spawns, not fun at all.

misho8723

Banned
Last Light felt like the post-apocalyptic Russia answer to Call of Duty. 4A tried to remedy 2033 to appeal to more mainstream FPS gamers. Not saying there's anything wrong with that because I love Last Light, but you can tell. 2033 didn't sell great, then they made changes for Last Light and it sold better.

Personally, 2033 is the better game, even more so with Redux, but both are far superior to 99% of FPS on the market today anyway.

I have the exact opposite opinion of M2033 & MLL than you.. for me M2033 was like a mix between STALKER and CoD, whereas MLL is more like a Half-Life game, particular HL2.. better controls, better pacing, working choice between stealth/shooting approach this time and better gun handling doesn't magically transform an FPS game into a CoD game..

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have the exact opposite opinion of M2033 & MLL than you.. for me M2033 was like a mix between STALKER and CoD, whereas MLL is more like a Half-Life game, particular HL2.. better controls, better pacing, working choice between stealth/shooting approach this time and better gun handling doesn't magically transform an FPS game into a CoD game..

Yeah, play the Tower DLC level and you willquickly see that the gun mechanics aren't nearly as slick as CoD's

KingJolly

Banned
Love this game so much, the animation and gunplay is soooo smooth

Just a little screenshot of one of my favourite parts. Game oozes atmosphere

1907820_10153191810903345_8503060828784311315_n.jpg

Can't wait for Metro 2035

10624600_10153191810258345_1158222117300618596_n.jpg

Or 2034? Since Last Light bears no relation to 2034, so then the next metro game could be a prequel?

Dan

Do the original games have copies of the books/posters lying all over the place? Or is that a new easter egg? I was curious about that.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Do the original games have copies of the books/posters lying all over the place? Or is that a new easter egg? I was curious about that.
Originals have that.

Watevaman

Now I can't seem to fire this up for more than 5 minutes without it crashing. First time it said my driver stopped responding, second and third times it just locked up. :(

KingJolly

Banned
If 4A ever decide to add a multiplayer to the series; Here's hoping its more like a tatical survival multiplayer where you have very limited ammo and have to scavenge through the dark metro for ammo and filters while fighting the other team and the occasional neutral mutants.

adlmjr

Neo Member
Love this game so much, the animation and gunplay is soooo smooth

Just a little screenshot of one of my favourite parts. Game oozes atmosphere

1907820_10153191810903345_8503060828784311315_n.jpg

Can't wait for Metro 2035

10624600_10153191810258345_1158222117300618596_n.jpg

Or 2034? Since Last Light bears no relation to 2034, so then the next metro game could be a prequel?

Metro 2035 is just the announced book by Dmitry which covers the Last Light story.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If 4A ever decide to add a multiplayer to the series; Here's hoping its more like a tatical survival multiplayer where you have very limited ammo and have to scavenge through the dark metro for ammo and filters while fighting the other team and the occasional neutral mutants.

NO.

NO.

NO multiplayer.

Please for the love of god.

Top Bottom