• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force |OT| Four Mech Adventures

TheMoon

Yeah, no. The game isn't even that good (the 5 or so hours I've had with it were pretty miserable with clunky controls and tedious "puzzle" design that's super trivial to solve but frustrating to execute) and it's uncalled for to call other players mental 12 year olds. It's also pretty ironic.

I don't think you got what I was saying at all if you think I referred to actual people who are playing the game...

Ohnonono

I am having a ton of fun with this game. It is a fun shooter in a cool universe. I also got a copy for my son as his first shooter type game. He is not quite ready for halo or anything like that but this and splat ion are perfect. I am also loving the scoring system. I get that people wanted a new 2d game and I also would have loved that, but this game is cool. Also just a note that the 3D on this game is really good. It is the first game I have played with the 3D on for any extended period of time.

nynt9

I don't think you got what I was saying at all if you think I referred to actual people who are playing the game...

It doesn't matter if you're calling people who play the game or don't want to play it mentally challenged, you're calling fellow gaffers mentally challenged and that's not ok.

TheMoon

It doesn't matter if you're calling people who play the game or don't want to play it mentally challenged, you're calling fellow gaffers mentally challenged and that's not ok.

You're putting words in my mouth. Neither did I mention gaffers nor did I say anything resembling mentally challenged.

Let's just move on. And relax a little.

So is this game enhanced on n3dsxl (not from a control perspective but performance wise)

Not that anyone noticed so far.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Speaking of performance, the demo's been rock-stable fps. Does the full game maintain that level of performance?

nynt9

Speaking of performance, the demo's been rock-stable fps. Does the full game maintain that level of performance?

I'm about 5 hours in and while I've found the game to be very unenjoyable, the performance has been extremely stable FPS wise. I've encountered several network issues though, if you count that as performance.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
5 or 6 missions in and I'd say it's decent. Decent mission variety (puzzles, fun with physics, enemy types, stealth sections, escapes, platforming, etc.), nothing too intense aside form some space pirate gangbangs. I'm having fun, wanting to play more. I just wish it was on a console with a different art style. This could be Destiny with Prime gameplay.

The saddest thing about this game's probable failure isn't that it's going to destroy the Metroid franchise (it won't), but that we may never see a Federation Force type game on consoles. It's got potential to be a great sub franchise.

Right now I'm calling it a 6 or a 7, with 5 actually being average. It's just a slight hair above average. But it's growing on me so I may end up liking it more as I continue to play.

And I know Blast Ball ain't got shit on Rocket League, but honestly, it's about the most fun I've had with a tutorial mode ever.

Sounds good tbh, will probably check it out eventually, I hope they don't abandon the concept, there's a lot of potential there, I want my G-fed game styled after Republic Commando, it would work so damn well. But it's Metroid and if the sales aren't there there's no way they'll revisit it unfortunately.

Regiruler

Most people in this thread haven't beaten the game, and given that it's substantial enough to have gotten two threads on it there's probably incentive to not have it spoiled.

OmegaFax

I'm indifferent about this game after playing the first two or three missions in both single player and in 3p and 4p online multiplayer setups.

In multiplayer, the story elements are counter-intuitive to online co-op pacing. All of the players must equally press "Start" or "X" in order to skip cutscenes. There are terminals placed around the maps that give some story exposition in leu of the scanning visor from the mainline Prime series. Stopping to read these things often means the other players have to wait for you to finish reading it. You don't want to be "that guy" who holds up the game.

Also, minor gripe, is the use of the top screen for communications. Just seems like a poor use of the 3DS screen real estate but eating up half the screen for text. There should have been a better way to delegate that with the bottom screen.

The player movement in the game seems designed to be slow enough to counteract lag but the ball puzzles are insanely annoying. The physics do not want to cooperate with four different people shooting at it. More times than not, it just has a mind of its own and gets launched in a random direction. Adds to the time and frustration.

Single player, especially boss areas, seem really dull and trying, even with the single player add-on buff. It isn't anywhere as tedious as the totem swapping in Triforce Heroes ... but I can't really help but draw some comparison with Nintendo's other recent co-op multiplayer push.

I wish Next Level Games focused on single player (like Dark Moon did) with a decent co-op boss rush tower separate but worthy of an inclusion in the game.

Regiruler

In multiplayer, the story elements are counter-intuitive to online co-op pacing. All of the players must equally press "Start" or "X" in order to skip cutscenes. There are terminals placed around the maps that give some story exposition in leu of the scanning visor from the mainline Prime series. Stopping to read these things often means the other players have to wait for you to finish reading it. You don't want to be "that guy" who holds up the game.

Just read them, nobody is going to grief you for it.

I just realized what vibe I was getting from this game. It feels (aesthetically and a little mechanically) like Helldivers. The rather limited special ammo setup, the heaviness of movement and the mods really give me a feeling of playing a first person Helldivers.

In other news, the secondary control scheme is pretty killer on N3DS, and even playing a little farther (not too far) I'm still enjoying it a lot! So... there!

TheMoon

In multiplayer, the story elements are counter-intuitive to online co-op pacing. All of the players must equally press "Start" or "X" in order to skip cutscenes.

Compared with TFH which did not have a skip cutscene options at all, this is great news lol.

Vena

So I finally started this in single-player, solo. I'll be playing it with friends during the week and we've all gotten our copies now, I think (one friend had trouble with even finding a copy, so he went digital after a hunt).

Without Lone Wolf the game is decently balanced but even after just four or so missions you can start to feel out-gunned or out-manned by the mission design. This isn't necessarily a bad thing since its not some herculean feat to beat said missions and they most certainly doable. I am using the gyro-set controls and basically playing this as Prime but with a big-fat-square wiimote controller. Its not quite as elegant as I'd hoped but its not complete trash either.

I suspect with Lone Wolf on the levels will be very easy and straight-forward to the point where I am actually unsure if I want to use it at all but it may actually become necessary later on.

I am not sure if I like or dislike bit-sized Metroid since that's what this is, effectively, and the level/puzzle design has all the trappings of a Prime game but the episodic nature somewhat undermines the mood a lot of the times. You're in a hostile environment either alone or with a group of four (and this doesn't really impact that feel all that much) but getting jettisoned out at the end of everything, back to "safety" rather sours the threat of the worlds you're on. On the flip, the game is much easier to pick-up and play, and the bite-sized nature allows each level to be a puzzle that is unique or built up on from another.

Shrug/10 for me so far. Its good in some ways, bad in others. As a game its absolutely solid (with some quirks like text over your screen in the middle of a fight because some NPC needed to tell you something), but as a Metroid title I feel it leaves more wanting than it provides.

Toxi

Banned
So I finally started this in single-player, solo. I'll be playing it with friends during the week and we've all gotten our copies now, I think (one friend had trouble with even finding a copy, so he went digital after a hunt).

Without Lone Wolf the game is decently balanced but even after just four or so missions you can start to feel out-gunned or out-manned by the mission design. This isn't necessarily a bad thing since its not some herculean feat to beat said missions and they most certainly doable. I am using the gyro-set controls and basically playing this as Prime but with a big-fat-square wiimote controller. Its not quite as elegant as I'd hoped but its not complete trash either.

I suspect with Lone Wolf on the levels will be very easy and straight-forward to the point where I am actually unsure if I want to use it at all but it may actually become necessary later on.
One of the boss missions seems near impossible solo without Lone Wolf; you have a time limit and you just don't do enough damage.

Vena

One of the boss missions seems near impossible solo without Lone Wolf; you have a time limit and you just don't do enough damage.

I'd be curious to know which level this occurs on, and I will be mindful of it. Haven't really had a damage problem so far, more of a "there's too much shit on the screen".

Regiruler

Does mission 12 not have any mods? If it does they're not obvious, although it's really short so it wouldn't surprise me if there were none.

You might be able to do it with hyper mode, weakening scan, and super charger. Problem is staying at full health because its attacks have a very erratic hitbox.

I think 11, 12, and 13 are optional though. Or at least 12 and 13 are.

Xemnas89

I haven't bought the game but I've been watching some videos and I have to say I kind of like the vibe it's giving off. The music in the video I watched didn't necessarily sound like what I expect from metroid but still sounded great and seemed very atmospheric. I'll give it some time but I think I'll end up getting this here in the next month or so.

I really do wish they would've released this game at a time when the franchise was more active. I feel like the backlash wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if it was released shortly after a more traditional metroid.

9 was pretty intense hiding from the storms with the swarms of space pirates circling the safe zones. It needed a high level of team work that took 3-4 times before we could do it.

Regiruler

9 was pretty intense hiding from the storms with the swarms of space pirates circling the safe zones. It needed a high level of team work that took 3-4 times before we could do it.

The bonus condition is somewhat asinine though: "do it again".
It's easier with most enemies cleared out, and you get a zip line straight to the start, but come on.

Speaking of: how do you get the mod at the start of the level? Kinsei found it when we did it together but I haven't been able to crack where the entrance to the nook is.

Toxi

Banned
11 took me three tries solo without Lone Wolf. It was fun finally figuring out a strategy for defending the uplink. Gonna play online later tonight.

I'm not sure how to rate the music. It's not memorable, but when playing, it feels like Metroid music in a way Other M's did not.

I accidentally used that zip line right at the end thinking it'd lead me to a mod. I had to keep apologising as I ran back to the exit.

BTW, this game is a blast with four players. Even when things go wrong and you have to go back for downed comrades.

colon

dat OP ... y u no read it :)

it's also mentioned a lot on the first page.

The posts I see on the first page seem to confirm that NA and EU can play together, but in my case I'm specifically wondering about region locked multiplayer between NA and Japan. I had already assumed that just like Monster Hunter, FF Explorers and Fantasy Life that NA and EU would be able to play together, but in those games we can't play with Japan. I really want to play this with my friend but she has a Japanese 3DS so that's why I'm waiting for that to be confirmed.

Regiruler

Blast Ball was not region locked.

It's impossible to verify at the moment because japan gets it a week later than the states, and PAL a week after that.

Kinsei

Banned
The bonus condition is somewhat asinine though: "do it again".
It's easier with most enemies cleared out, and you get a zip line straight to the start, but come on.

Speaking of: how do you get the mod at the start of the level? Kinsei found it when we did it together but I haven't been able to crack where the entrance to the nook is.

It's up above you. Jump on a cart and then fly over to it.

nynt9

Shit, the impressions are making me actually want this... Is it actually good? Or just not as bad as people were expecting?

I mean, most people who weren't super into the idea just wouldn't have bought this, so a sizeable portion of people in this OT will probably be people why really wanted to like it anyway.

Personally, I was not excited at all but I get pretty much every Nintendo game and I love Metroid and was willing to give it a shot just in case (and had an Amazon gift card from work) but despite my extremely low expectations I was still disappointed. YMMV though, and surely people in here will be mostly medium to positive towards it.

I've played solo and with a friend, and I'm just not enjoying it. The missions are pretty basic and not challenging, but bosses can be huge bullet sponges if you're not a full 4 person group. There are some "puzzles" but they're basically "oh I just pull this lever here then put this thing here" but they're not intellectually engaging in any way, they just involve busywork. The shooting is generally OK but the controls are not very enjoyable and cause hand fatigue. Both control schemes are bad. A combination of both schemes (gyro + nub) and customizable buttons would have totally saved it, but for some reason Nintendo don't want us to do that. Online has been finicky with people dropping out, at which point you have to continue the mission solo, except you don't have the solo MOD equipped so it's an even bigger chore. Most 3DS games look kinda ugly in youtube trailers but look pretty good in person, this looks just as ugly in person because of the angular art style. Overall, I thought the metacritic score is too high for the game even as it is. I don't even care about Metroid purity anymore, the game just isn't fun or good.

Berordn

Shit, the impressions are making me actually want this... Is it actually good? Or just not as bad as people were expecting?

I went in with low expectations (but I admittedly wanted to like it). It's definitely not a top tier game in general, but I'm having more fun than I was expecting to solo at the moment. Controls take some getting used to (and if I could actually customize them I'd be much happier with the game in general) but it's more fun than I was expecting. It's absolutely not a Metroid game, but it plays more like Metroid Prime than I expected it to.

VandalD

I went in with low expectations (but I admittedly wanted to like it). It's definitely not a top tier game in general, but I'm having more fun than I was expecting to solo at the moment. Controls take some getting used to (and if I could actually customize them I'd be much happier with the game in general) but it's more fun than I was expecting. It's absolutely not a Metroid game, but it plays more like Metroid Prime than I expected it to.
Pretty much agree with Berordn. It's not impressive, but it's not bad. Still need to give multiplayer more of a try, but going through a mission solo at my own pace then replaying it to try to get more medals has been pretty fun for me.

Does it even feel satisfying as a shooter? Because the demo insists on using the auto-lock, so if you don't really have to aim, it's kinda like playing a platformer where you don't have to time your jumps. The idea of a 3DS shooter, I like, but it just didn't seem like it was going to be fun as a first-person shooter. There's no touch screen aiming, which I think is crazy for a (3)DS shooter. Are there Wii shooters without Wiimote aiming?

Toxi

Banned
Does it even feel satisfying as a shooter? Because the demo insists on using the auto-lock, so if you don't really have to aim, it's kinda like playing a platformer where you don't have to time your jumps. The idea of a 3DS shooter, I like, but it just didn't seem like it was going to be fun as a first-person shooter. There's no touch screen aiming, which I think is crazy for a (3)DS shooter. Are there Wii shooters without Wiimote aiming?
When locked on, you do precision aiming with the gyroscope. This is important for enemies that are moving (so you can track your shots) and enemies who have weak points on specific parts of the body you can't lock on to.

The game can get hard. The first time I did Mission 14 with randoms, we got our asses kicked because we didn't really know what we were doing.

Regiruler

14 is weird because freeze does increase your hit window but the game does a bad job of telling you that.

It's either a cakewalk or brutal murder with little in betweeen.

So how's the single player balance? From what I've read here, it seems to be too easy with Lone Wolf in the beginning, but too hard after a point without it?

Regiruler

So how's the single player balance? From what I've read here, it seems to be too easy with Lone Wolf in the beginning, but too hard after a point without it?

I think the balance is fine with lone wolf, or maybe I just suck more than I think.

Some of the missions are just unforgiving by nature, lone wolf or not. 13 would have been so awful if you had to carry them yourselves that they added functionality so that 3 drones could carry it.

Dremark

Banned

Yeah, he should apologize to the mentally challenged for the insulting comparison.

Toxi

Banned
Mission 18 was about five times harder than it should be due to this one asshole who kept jumping off the drill and into the gas, then spamming "Over here" when he inevitably died.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, he should apologize to the mentally challenged for the insulting comparison.
Honestly, I say leave those of us "who don't want to play it" out of it. We've made our choice.

I'm interested in opinions of those who've played the game. There's an interesting division here.

Top Bottom