• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force |OT| Four Mech Adventures

PtM

Banned
A combination of both schemes (gyro + nub) and customizable buttons would have totally saved it, but for some reason Nintendo don't want us to do that.
In BB, there's the option to enable gyro for the B configuration.

TheMoon

The posts I see on the first page seem to confirm that NA and EU can play together, but in my case I'm specifically wondering about region locked multiplayer between NA and Japan. I had already assumed that just like Monster Hunter, FF Explorers and Fantasy Life that NA and EU would be able to play together, but in those games we can't play with Japan. I really want to play this with my friend but she has a Japanese 3DS so that's why I'm waiting for that to be confirmed.

Wait until later this week when it's out in Japan, we won't know until someone gets their hands on it. But considering that Japanese is among the languages you can pick for the multiplayer messages ...

Riposte

Played the first mission with a party of three (one guy disconnected). No idea what the fuck was going as these guys seemed to already played the thing. The boss went down way too fast, making me think these guys were higher level?

VandalD

Played the first mission with a party of three (one guy disconnected). No idea what the fuck was going as these guys seemed to already played the thing. The boss went down way too fast, making me think these guys were higher level?
A super missile takes out most of the first boss's health, all of it soloing with Lone Wolf. You don't really level up, though you do gain more weight capacity at certain points, and having better mods helps.

Riposte

A super missile takes out most of the first boss's health, all of it soloing with Lone Wolf. You don't really level up, though you do gain more weight capacity at certain points, and having better mods helps.

I see. I noticed the guy I was playing with had "57", which seems to be the amount of medals(?) you get at the end of missions.

Although even within the first three missions I see some cool ideas, it's not really clicking for me. I don't like the controls (to be honest, I never cared for Metroid Prime's mechanics), especially on the 3DS, and playing with strangers ended up making for a breakneck pace where I had no idea what's going on. Maybe it was just the party was with. Seems a bit too easy too, but that may just be because of it being early on and, again, who I was playing with.

Regiruler

Two, three people total.

It's especially ridiculous because the bonus objective for the mission is not getting damaged by the gas.
I went down to explore the area, first time landed on the jump pad, second landed in the area. Got damaged, got out of there.
Checked out the bonus criteria. Woops.

Toxi

Banned
I went down to explore the area, first time landed on the jump pad, second landed in the area. Got damaged, got out of there.
Checked out the bonus criteria. Woops.
I can assure you that this guy was much worse than that. :p I revived him something like four times.
I see. I noticed the guy I was playing with had "57", which seems to be the amount of medals(?) you get at the end of missions.

Although even within the first three missions I see some cool ideas, it's not really clicking for me. I don't like the controls (to be honest, I never cared for Metroid Prime's mechanics), especially on the 3DS, and playing with strangers ended up making for a breakneck pace where I had no idea what's going on. Maybe it was just the party was with. Seems a bit too easy too, but that may just be because of it being early on and, again, who I was playing with.
It gets significantly more difficult. Mission 14 particularly seems to be a roadblock for people judging by the number of postings I see.

VandalD

The controls took me a bit of getting used to. I like Prime's mechanics though, particularly the side dashing, and the fine aiming with the gyro only makes it better IMO. It might be hard for you to like it, but maybe you'd have a better time just playing solo at your own pace. That's what I've been doing for new missions, then I go back and speed run them later to try to get all the medals.

The one thing I really hate about this game's design is the breakable mods. In particular, if you quit a mission even while solo, you're going to break a mod. Mods break even if you exit the game entirely. There's absolutely no reason for this at all, especially when you can knowingly fail secondary objectives and just want to retry the mission. It makes sense to punish people for leaving during multiplayer, but not for singleplayer.

Regiruler

It's because they're designed to break when you die as well, thus they don't want you circumventing that.

On the subject, mods seem to break less if you die as opposed to quitting.

Toxi

Banned
Has anyone bothered ripping the music from this game yet? It has some good tunes. Nothing memorable yet, but way better than Other M's soundtrack.
It's because they're designed to break when you die as well, thus they don't want you circumventing that.

On the subject, mods seem to break less if you die as opposed to quitting.
Yeah. I've never had a mod break for dying, but I've had two break from quitting.

So it's probably better to deliberately self-destruct if you've played solo.

Berordn

Still pretty early in, but I'm really liking how Samus is being treated so far. She's a formidable force on her own and the Federation seems to respect her ability and gives her a lot of freedom in what she does.
yeah i know about the final boss but i'm gonna hold judgement until i get there

I'm also really liking combat now that I've got the controls down. The levels also really feel like little bite sized Metroid Prime areas. Still rough around the edges and not the Metroid game I'd have wanted but my opinion is steadily rising so far.

Toxi

Banned
Do you get anything for doing the best in a mission or something?
You get first choice in mods. Not exactly huge.

Though it is in everyone's interest for people to score highly, since everyone's scores are pooled into the final score that determines how many medals you get.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not sold, but maybe that's me being an OG jaded Metroid fan.

My son however used some of his birthday cash from two weeks ago to buy a copy yesterday. He's all in and loves it.

You get first choice in mods. Not exactly huge.

Though it is in everyone's interest for people to score highly, since everyone's scores are pooled into the final score that determines how many medals you get.

That plus it seems like people are rushing through the missions, either from being familiar with them or trying to beat the timer I'll never know. Feels like Destiny in that regard, but I guess it didn't take long to realize exploration in Destiny is mostly pointless.

Just completed the first three missions. A bit underwhelmed but the first mission for each planet surely serves more as an introductory to whats to come (I'm hoping). It really sucks to play on a regular 3DS with no circle pad attachment because fine tuning your aiming ruins the 3D effect. Oh well. Looking forward to playing more though.

Regiruler

My biggest peeve is people who have no self control when it comes to inventory. I'm replaying mission 5 or some shit and people use twice boosted inventories to gobble up everything but 2 missle packs and a heal tank while I'm tuning my mods.

Toxi

Banned
My biggest peeve is people who have no self control when it comes to inventory. I'm replaying mission 5 or some shit and people use twice boosted inventories to gobble up everything but 2 missle packs and a heal tank while I'm tuning my mods.
Wait, you can change your mods at the inventory screen? Damn, never realized that.

Riposte

Here's a pro-tip from an expert player: Spam "Check your MODS" in the lobby constantly to make new friends.

bumpkin

All I have to say is M07: Cauldron while playing solo... Fuuuuuuuuck. I don't remember prior Metroid Prime games having
insta-death moments in boss fights.

Riposte

Spent 20 minutes on a mission (mission goal 8 mins) because me and some spanish guy were trying to teach this one teammate that he had to shoot this target with a charge shot spamming "follow me!" and "charge" while charge shooting it ourselves. Because he spent so much time fucking around, he got the highest score killing respawning enemies and got first pick. lol

Despite that, I've found the game is much more enjoyable with first timers and not a full party (kind of like Monster Hunter in that way). Playing with speed-runners really kills it for me.

I hadn't realized it, but loot really adds a competitive element to the game.

Regiruler

There's no explicit solo missions, but I think it's about 60 total missions. You can play the entire game solo with some modifiers and AI assistance.

60? I think you're way off. The number I heard was 22 and going by the game's current pacing that seem's accurate.

Not counting
hard mode
so that bumps up the number if you want to count it?

bumpkin

It gets better.

There are
insta-death moments
in that fight? I didn't notice any.

Ugh if true.
Yeah, during the second phase after the two smaller "fish" merge together, I was too close when it crawled up onto the edge of the stage and it swallowed me.

Bionic

I bought the game on a lark, played it lots on Friday, and beat it today. I enjoyed it much more than I expected, to the point that I have already replayed several missions and started in on Hard Mode. I'm usually one to go through a campaign once and then wait until I've forgotten it to play through again, so the fact that I've been drawn back in already means I just plain like playing it. It reminds me a lot of Star Wars: Republic Commando combined with Metroid lore, co-op multiplayer, and a dash of character customization.

I can absolutely see where others don't like the controls, but it's the same configuration I loved in Splatoon. I can absolutely see where others don't like playing single player, but I like it in 1, 3, and 4 player (2 player seems tough to get medals to me). I like the mod system a lot, although aux ammo for some devices was so tough to come by that the mods for those just seem a bit pointless.

The last part of the game got better and better, I loved pretty much everything from mission 16 on. Only thing I don't love is that the Amiibo paint jobs are flat-out better than any others. I think the Samus paint job's extra missile pickups/capacity is way too powerful compared to the base kit, and I wish it was cosmetic only like the generic Skull paint job most other Amiibos get. Some missions, I started with 150 missiles and never ran out. It makes other customizations feel like a waste to pick, and it trivializes the otherwise neat choices that you can make with loadouts.

100% happy with my purchase, and I would love a sequel on NX to flesh it all out even more and be more appealing to a larger audience. Even though I know the game has disappointed many, and will probably never get a large audience.

Been playing this game with my brother the last few days. Just beat Mission 6.

I am finding it to be quite a fun romp. I like the atmosphere, and while the poly count and some textures are not that great, the 3D is really good, and the framerate seems to be pretty solid when it needs to be.

Haven't tried a mission alone yet, but I've found myself enjoying it.

Toxi

Banned
Ending spoilers

The final boss feels like a complete clusterfuck and I still have no idea how damaging it works. Also, it sucks you never fight giant Samus outside her morph ball form, though integrating the Spider Ball was cool.

The Sylux teaser is neat, but they really shouldn't be teasing future Metroid games in what could easily be the last in a very long time.

Hoping getting 100% unlocks stuff like an extended ending or the like.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. Just wish I wasn't so inept in the final mission; I might replay it solo with Lone Wolf just to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing.

Z3M0G

I love how the free BlastBall download looks and controls... quite fun all on its own I must say. Is there stuff you can unlock if you keep playing that alone? Skins at least?

I want the full game quite badly... I'm just not sure if I can justify the purchase right now. I doubt EB will give much for a trade-in of Smash Bros...

Edit: How busy does the online community feel? Is it difficult to get a full group of randoms?

I just realized what vibe I was getting from this game. It feels (aesthetically and a little mechanically) like Helldivers. The rather limited special ammo setup, the heaviness of movement and the mods really give me a feeling of playing a first person Helldivers.

Ever since the day it was announced I felt it had a Helldivers feel. 4-player co-op, selecting who brings what in a mission, etc. I assume this will feel like a more satisfying experience for me, however. I was crack addicted to Helldivers for about 4 weeks then absolutely hated the idea of playing it any more after that.

PtM

Banned
I love how the free BlastBall download looks and controls... quite fun all on its own I must say. Is there stuff you can unlock if you keep playing that alone? Skins at least?
Yes, I unlocked some skins while playing alone, since my wifi sucks.
The related achievements are:
First win!!!
Score 3 goals in a game.
Score within 5 seconds. (Just shoot the landing ball on the lower half.)
10 wins.
Run over 10km.

Ohnonono

I have been really surprised at how much mission variety is in this game. It makes online play a little hit or miss because if someone does not read the mission stuff the can make it REAL hard to make progress, but the game is no shooting gallery that is for sure.

Litri

So, a friend of mine bought the game and told me the visuals are much better on screen than in all those youtube videos. He also told me that the soundtrack is really good and that the sound design is great and worth playing with headphones. He also mentioned he's having a LOT of fun in co-op as long as you find the right guys.

Can someone confirm the above? I'm not sure of I should pick it up...

Besides the above, I'm only concerned about the missions and objectives being distinct enough as I love diversity and not the same plain scenarios here and there.

Berordn

So, a friend of mine bought the game and told me the visuals are much better on screen than in all those youtube videos. He also told me that the soundtrack is really good and that the sound design is great and worth playing with headphones. He also mentioned he's having a LOT of fun in co-op as long as you find the right guys.

Can someone confirm the above? I'm not sure of I should pick it up...

Besides the above, I'm only concerned about the missions and objectives being distinct enough as I love diversity and not the same plain scenarios here and there.

I can't really agree with graphics, it still looks pretty low quality to my eyes. Sound design is on point and while the soundtrack isn't really memorable it's still good, never annoying or completely tuned out. There's a lot of variety in the missions as well.

Top Bottom