• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV Alternate E3 Gameplay Demo

I guess you're quieter on the horse and can go into 'stealth' mode, plus it can strategic poop. There might be other aspects we haven't seen yet.

∀ Narayan;171377825 said:
Less suspicious transportation. You can conceal yourself while riding, too.

DD is the best. Absolute truth.
I guess the horse poop might be useful but the cardboard box in the video did the same thing. Also I remember the mech had like a stealth mode, in the other video snake silently took someone out with it.

The horse in SotC also has 4 speed settings, so you need to press X 3-4 times to get him up to speed, which sounds repetitive but when you're playing the game you don't notice (hence why I don't think it'll be an issue in MGSV. You notice it in a video but you won't notice while playing.) In some games, like RDR and The Witcher and (it appears) MGSV, the horse can hold a steady speed, so you won't need to hit the button repeatedly.

RDR worked the same way; you tapped a few times to get the horse up to speed, then held the button and he'd stay there. In Witcher 3 you just double tap and hold and Roach will gallop all day. In MGSV it looks like the horse will just cruise along fairly slowly unless you keep urging him, though. You can see it in this demo. Go to about 20:40ish, when BB goes from a full gallop to hanging onto the side of the horse; he slows down after about 4-5 seconds. You clearly have to keep "Hyah"ing to keep him galloping.

I can dig that though. Imagine undertaking some "They killed my dog" vengeance. I'd start murdering soldiers in their sleep.

No way, I absolutely cannot deal with dogs dying. I used to reload my RDR save any time I accidentally got my horse killed :p

SomTervo

RDR worked the same way; you tapped a few times to get the horse up to speed, then held the button and he'd stay there. In Witcher 3 you just double tap and hold and Roach will gallop all day. In MGSV it looks like the horse will just cruise along fairly slowly unless you keep urging him, though. You can see it in this demo. Go to about 20:40ish, when BB goes from a full gallop to hanging onto the side of the horse; he slows down after about 4-5 seconds. You clearly have to keep "Hyah"ing to keep him galloping.

Interesting - could be they designed it that way to substantially differentiate it from a jeep. One thing about RDR that pissed me off hugely was that horses were basically cars. What would be the point in having a horse if you just hold a button and it 'drives' like a car? The mobility shortcoming is made up for by the fact it's less loud and less visible than a car, and you can hide off the side. All these aspects - along with the speed drop-off - are tied together. Also this:

Is there any reason to choose the horse as a buddy over the others? If you need to travel long distances you can just use the mech or even a jeep.

I'd imagine it's a pro/con trade off like this:

Car:
- faster
- can carry extra 3-4 people, conscious or no
- louder
- more visible
- not autonomous

Horse:
- fast, but slower than car
- can carry one extra person, conscious or no
- quieter
- blends in as a wild horse
- can hide off the side
- can call it to come to you

Oh, and money! I think the horse is a buddy so it's free, but it'll cost you GMP to fly a car in, each time you want one (unless you just steal one, which is risky).

Alienous

No way, I absolutely cannot deal with dogs dying. I used to reload my RDR save any time I accidentally got my horse killed :p

Assign D.Dog to your Forward Operating Base. I promise I'll make it painless.

I'd imagine it's a pro/con trade off like this:

Car:
- faster
- can carry extra 3-4 people, conscious or no
- louder
- more visible

Horse:
- fast, but slower than car
- can carry one extra person, conscious or no
- quieter
- blends in as a wild horse
- can hide off the side

Oh, and money! I think the horse is a buddy so it's free, but it'll cost you GMP to fly a car in, each time you want one (unless you just steal one, which is risky).

You forgot the main benefit of having a horse. You can call it to come and get you if you are in a pinch.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Assign D.Dog to your Forward Operating Base. I promise I'll make it painless.

YOU MONSTER!

giphy.gif

I don't want to sound rude by saying this but I don't think this game is for you. MGSV is as Greg Miller puts it "Peace Walker 2" and this game expands on that big time. If you don't like those features then you won't like how V works at the core gameplay.

Also no, Freeroam likely won't make your progress bar go up at all since you're not actively in a mission. You can find resources and guards, but story or content completion won't go up.

I've not really been keeping up with Metal Gear Solid 5, so would you be able to elaborate further on how this game expands upon Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker even further? I assume you are referring to the base management aspect, and all that comes with it, but does this also apply to the mission structure? What I mean by this is, do we know yet where the game occurs in the same manner as Ground Zeroes(*) and Peace Walker where there is a split between story missions and side operations which are selected from a menu which are then graded with a letter ranking, or is it played through as a traditional Metal Gear Solid game (albeit with the base management side) where animal rankings are the only rankings delivered in the game and items/statistics are delivered based upon these? I know that some of these (particularly regarding the animal ranking system) may be a bit early to say for certain, but I'm wondering if we've any indication.

And regarding Ground Zeroes, I finally picked it up on sale for five euro (I wasn't happy about it, but I don't have a Playstation 4 yet and assumed that by the time I have one I'll be able to pick up the Playstation 4 version of Phantom Pain cheap enough to justify paying five euro for the prologue) and while I knew roughly what it contained, I have to admit that I was still extremely unhappy with what was actually in the content. Based upon comments I had assumed the map was far larger than it actually was, and that there was more to do in the mission (in terms of messing around with the map), and honestly came away feeling ripped off. Some of the alterations to the gameplay were interesting, and Snake is definitely more mobile than he's ever been, but I definitely didn't like the alert system, the 'slow motion' detection thing (turning it off was better), the removal of the enemy symbols, or how it was structured. It had some good aspects (mainly the ability for enemies to detect noise that you made i.e. by knocking over cans) but it definitely did not play how I expected it to. It has me much more unsure of Metal Gear Solid 5 than I expected to be after playing it.

I'm concerned a little about the 'time' aspect, too. Is it confirmed that you can put more people in R&D to reduce the time it will take to develop new gear?

In PW, some R&D staff had Gunsmith skills related to weapon types. So the more staff with Shotgun Gunsmith skills would mean that you paid less GMP to develop any shotgun

Putting more people in R&D just raised the R&D level. Higher-class weapons required a high R&D level, otherwise they couldn't be developed at all.

But I don't think you could decrease the amount of time, unfortunately.

Regarding 'time', I think TPP will be real-time. Otherwise it's just the PW-style of time only progressing once you've completed missions, which is tedious.

Darsis

Neo Member
I guess the horse poop might be useful but the cardboard box in the video did the same thing. Also I remember the mech had like a stealth mode, in the other video snake silently took someone out with it.

Don't forget, D-Walker is going to have to be researched and built by the R&D team, and is likely a later game buddy, where as D-Horse is like the first buddy you get right at the start.

That seems to be a thing a lot of people are missing, when you start this game, you are going to have a horse, a gun, a Helicopter, and one platform on Mother base. You are going to have to build the rest. Things like the Blast Fist (a tier 6 gadget) are a long way off at that point.

I guess you're quieter on the horse and can go into 'stealth' mode, plus it can strategic poop. There might be other aspects we haven't seen yet.

Crapping on sleeping soldiers is already going to take up lots of my time. I only wish you could go full Black and White and have the horse crap in the food supply.

edit: Oh, please tell me the D-mech can crap too just like a gecko.

Crapping on sleeping soldiers is already going to take up lots of my time. I only wish you could go full Black and White and have the horse crap in the food supply.

edit: Oh, please tell me the D-mech can crap too just like a gecko.

If it can it needs to have that loud mooing with it. I need to be able to sneak up behind enemies and scare the hell out of them with that.

dukeoflegs

I hope their are other versions of DD. I really want a Rhodesian Ridgeback like they had in the early FOX Engine renders and in the concept art.

I never even considered that you could probably get the horse to crap on sleeping people. Im genuinely curious to see how they react.

SomTervo

First thing I'm going to do is lay down behind the horse and make it crap on Big Boss.

Now this... This is what MGS is all about

And non-players/non-fans will never understand.

There will be unique dialogue, animations or other feedback for you doing this. It's a given.

In PW, some R&D staff had Gunsmith skills related to weapon types. So the more staff with Shotgun Gunsmith skills would mean that you paid less GMP to develop any shotgun

Putting more people in R&D just raised the R&D level. Higher-class weapons required a high R&D level, otherwise they couldn't be developed at all.

But I don't think you could decrease the amount of time, unfortunately.

Regarding 'time', I think TPP will be real-time. Otherwise it's just the PW-style of time only progressing once you've completed missions, which is tedious.

I played a lot of PW, but not enough to reach that level of depth, in terms of people good at specific types of item.

However, we know for a fact TPP's R&D system is real-time with the game-world.

The discussion was around whether R&D will happen when you're in free roam or not. Personally I think it definitely will, as free-roam features a lot of substantial gameplay and character progression. I think the entire time your game is loaded in TPP, your R&D will be progressing based on the game-world's clock.

I played a lot of PW, but not enough to reach that level of depth, in terms of people good at specific types of item.

Well, each staff member's skill was highlighted in their profile, similar to how TPP is. But seeing as you couldn't access Mother Base during a mission, it's understandable why people wouldn't care for it, plus it was all menu-based only.

However, we know for a fact TPP's R&D system is real-time with the game-world.

The discussion was around whether R&D will happen when you're in free roam or not. Personally I think it definitely will, as free-roam features a lot of substantial gameplay and character progression. I think the entire time your game is loaded in TPP, your R&D will be progressing based on the game-world's clock.

That is true. I can see this happening. Perhaps if we speed up time using the Phantom Cigar, that could speed up the development time too?

Either way, it seems to be leagues ahead of how PW handled it.

Venom Fox

Banned
Well, each staff member's skill was highlighted in their profile, similar to how TPP is. But seeing as you couldn't access Mother Base during a mission, it's understandable why people wouldn't care for it, plus it was all menu-based only.

That is true. I can see this happening. Perhaps if we speed up time using the Phantom Cigar, that could speed up the development time too?

Either way, it seems to be leagues ahead of how PW handled it.
Yeah I am totally excited with being able to assign Staff members and develop weapons Etc mid mission.
It'll make people feel more involved with MB, plus it makes sense if the timer is real time, because it won't seem long if we are doing missions Etc inbetween.

Remember that little fast forward mechanic, that gives you 10 hours to speed up Motherbase development, that you could use in the GZ app?
You could only use the 10 hours and then you had to wait until the timer refills to use it again.

What if the phantom cigar replaces that?

I feel like if you could just find a safe place, start Phantom Cigar-ing your time away and then walk away from the console it'd really call to attention just how arbitrary those development time progress bars are. I mean, I didn't like having to grind out Extra Ops to 'pass time' in Peace Walker, but at least it was kind of an approximation of some kind of work being done behind the scenes. If I can just leave my console on overnight and wake up to a bunch of high-level goodies, it just raises the question of why I have to wait at all. Why not just have stuff crafted instantly if I have the necessary R&D level, y'know?

On another note, remember when Ocelot tells BB he only has three days to save Miller? I wonder just how much of the game's story is going to be time-sensitive like that. And with that crazy branching, episodic nature Kojima's been talking about, what kind of repercussions are their going to be for accumulating seven years of cigar breaks? :p

For some reason, this just made me think that it would be kind of funny and super dark if in order to join the Diamond Dogs, you have to give up your right eye.

Everyone on the whole base with the eyepatches.

If you had already lost your left eye for some reason, no excuses.

Denzar

Am I the only one that thinks this game looks less spectacular graphics-wise every time we get to see it in action?

Still siked as hell and buying day one.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Boss with gas mask.

2015-07-1017_42_36-wiv8yhm.png

Who is the guy in the background? Is it the Man on Fire aka Volgin?

Hmm....

2015-07-1017_43_42-witmlrq.png

Top Bottom