• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has more best-sellers on PlayStation Store than Sony does

It's a very stupid article for multiple reasons.

1. These games were already selling well on PS before MS purchased their companies,
2. It's for a specific time-period. Not an all-time best selling list anyway.
Be Quiet The Blacklist GIF by HULU

lets them have a "win"....Xbox is taking over PlayStation but Xbox cant take over Xbox

DavidGzz

Not sure why there's so much defensiveness and "console warring" calls here.

It's just the truth. And frankly it's a good thing for all. It strengthens Microsoft's position in the market and it brings more games to PS owners.

I don't understand why PS owners would be upset about the idea of getting to play more games that they formerly didn't have access to.

Yeah, and if Sony were the ones who owned these studios you'd get countless "another 1" and "Sony can't stop winning." etc, instead of all the butthurt.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And a thread would exist with less whining.
Because PS fans wouldn't need to celebrate because they're not desperate for a "win."

Xbox is releasing 3 new games on PS within the next few months and the Fallout TV show just released and their games are under 7 bucks.

To celebrate that more games are selling better than PS games (most of which have been on the market for years) just seems desperate.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So i think there's a stark difference in what matters to fanboys vs. what matters to Xbox/Playstation. Fanboys seem to want to remain on a team where they can cuddle together and take turns licking their exclusive boxart. Xbox and Playstation are all about how to make the most money while still holding some semblance of a brand.

Thing is, since Playstation is more dominant, they hold more value in keeping their walled garden and branching out to PC so as not to diminish their brand by releasing their best games on Xbox. By the same token, Xbox is less dominant and so diminishing their brand is not as harmful. They instead choose to feed on the popularity of their rivals as well as PC and mobile to spread their net as wide as possible.

In the end, given the IP at Xbox's disposal, it is feasible that they would become dominant over time. They want their brand to be unbound the console space. Which makes sense because it is a battle they simply cannot win. But there are other ways to win, just gotta see if this pans out for them.

I predict Sony will follow suit...but still will not go to Xbox, because the benefit of going to Xbox does not outweigh the importance of maintaining the console space dominance. There isnt enough of an install base on Xbox to warrant a move like that. I think Sony eventually goes hard into mobile, drops VR, picks up handhelds again.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not surprising when Microsoft purchased two publishers and a load of other developers.

Anyway, this is a win for Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft generate more sales and playstation owners still get to play these fantastic games.

The trojan horse theory seems very logical to me. They use this gen to hook more people and next gen people will have a much harder time to stay loyal to PS when MS pulls out and finally takes a whole bunch of games with them. Even with the contraints and promises given due to the ABK acquisition the landscape what games are on platform a and b will look very differently to now with MS very much being a major supplier on Sony's platform, not pulling Bethesda games and for now even expanding their offerings. Depends of course if MS finally sticks with a strategy. They could of course also go full third party and abandon any goal of becoming a console platform.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It's interesting. I don't recall this much comparing between first party and third party game sales in the past.

You could wait until say Final Fantasy comes out and claim Squaresoft sales bigger than Nintendo on their own system, CONFIRMED. And be technically right in a certain context. Did anyone ever bother with this before?

Obviously if the same company had acquired Squaresoft, Konami and Capcom back on SNES. Their sales added up would be really strong. While SNES is supported equally regardless of consolidation of those companies. MS did not need to blaze trails to teach us anything profound about "winning" here.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If this brings money to Xbox itself, to fund at least the HW and GamePass then I see it as an absolute win

midnightAI

If this brings money to Xbox itself, to fund at least the HW and GamePass then I see it as an absolute win
The issue being, of course, the relevancy of future XBox HW and GamePass if their games are available on PlayStation. And I personally think the direction MS will take is what is more important (for Microsoft) to the XBox division, is it Phil and co. (hardware, engagement, gamepass etc.) or is it the shareholders (biggest third party selling on everything, money maker)? Of course in an ideal world, both, but they havent found the solution to that yet as they seem at odds with each other.

The trojan horse theory seems very logical to me. They use this gen to hook more people and next gen people will have a much harder time to stay loyal to PS when MS pulls out and finally takes a whole bunch of games with them. Even with the contraints and promises given due to the ABK acquisition the landscape what games are on platform a and b will look very differently to now with MS very much being a major supplier on Sony's platform, not pulling Bethesda games and for now even expanding their offerings. Depends of course if MS finally sticks with a strategy. They could of course also go full third party and abandon any goal of becoming a console platform.
Absolutely no chance.
Microsoft made their decision, this is it. Sega hardware didn't come back, Xbox would not either.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The issue being, of course, the relevancy of future XBox HW and GamePass if their games are available on PlayStation. And I personally think the direction MS will take is what is more important (for Microsoft) to the XBox division, is it Phil and co. (hardware, engagement, gamepass etc.) or is it the shareholders (biggest third party selling on everything, money maker)? Of course in an ideal world, both, but they havent found the solution to that yet as they seem at odds with each other.
You are correct, I just like the Xbox HW and I hope that now they will be hopefully making money, they will continue to do HW. I don't care much about MS games outside of Flight Sim and Forza Horizon.

Hum...that's not how business works lmao.

If a game sells well on PS, they know damn well people won't leave their PS ecosystem and their catalog of games for an Xbox console. They will simply release their games on both platforms and make A LOT more money.

If anything, next gen Xbox will be making more money from releasing their games on PS than on their own hardware. Meanwhile Sony will still take those 30% from each sale (or was it 25%?).

Everyone wins.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hum...that's not how business works lmao.

If a game sells well on PS, they know damn well people won't leave their PS ecosystem and their catalog of games for an Xbox console. They will simply release their games on both platforms and make A LOT more money.

If anything, next gen Xbox will be making more money from releasing their games on PS than on their own hardware. Meanwhile Sony will still take those 30% from each sale (or was it 25%?).

Everyone wins.
Its what Sony did. Put Hook on SNES then move them to PS.

djjinx2

EXACTLY. It isn't Sony fans who should be upset by this news ...it's every Xbox owner who should! Like why the fuck did I spend $500 on a Series X for just for MS to eventually put everything on PS5?

This is the generation where because of Nice Guy Phil and MS putting this stuff in motion, consoles are starting a long slow death. All this multiplatform shit and subscriptions has weakened consoles importance and made PC the dominant platform. It will only get worse as time goes on and everything is released on everything.

All console gamers should be annoyed at how homogenized everything is becoming and by MS AND SONY focusing on multiplatform. It was 100% Microsoft pushing the industry in this direction. All the consolidation was started by MS too ...but Sony has followed suit. Of course people can't get past console wars instead of just sticking to the reality that even tho MS forced Sony's hand, Sony is heading in the same direction.
Why did I buy a PS5 just for Sony to put games on PC.

We all still play games ffs

EXACTLY. It isn't Sony fans who should be upset by this news ...it's every Xbox owner who should! Like why the fuck did I spend $500 on a Series X for just for MS to eventually put everything on PS5?

This is the generation where because of Nice Guy Phil and MS putting this stuff in motion, consoles are starting a long slow death. All this multiplatform shit and subscriptions has weakened consoles importance and made PC the dominant platform. It will only get worse as time goes on and everything is released on everything.

All console gamers should be annoyed at how homogenized everything is becoming and by MS AND SONY focusing on multiplatform. It was 100% Microsoft pushing the industry in this direction. All the consolidation was started by MS too ...but Sony has followed suit. Of course people can't get past console wars instead of just sticking to the reality that even tho MS forced Sony's hand, Sony is heading in the same direction.

Xbox owners don’t give a shit about games going to other platforms because all Xbox games have been multi platform for two generations now.

Also LOL @ the distant third place company pushing the industry leader in a certain direction.

Xbox owners don’t give a shit about games going to other platforms because all Xbox games have been multi platform for two generations now.

Sure, if you think PC ports is the same thing as Playstation ports...

But reality is different

MS launched TWO CONSOLES in 2020 to steal marketshare from Sony, now less than 4 years later they are porting their games to the competitor's console....

This Is Fine GIF

Last edited:
The funny part about this is Sony guys think this is some sort of gotcha moment when even 70% of millions of games sold for a port to an untapped market is a lot of money in the MS shareholders pockets

That's not the point. The point is the hypocrisy of green rats, that are now cheering for something that just a year ago they were rejecting as impossible

Gamers are not shareholders

jwaxeman

I personally hope Microsoft continues to kill it as a third party publisher. That sort of guarantees an end to the console war nonsense and improves the odds of more and more of their games coming to future PlayStation consoles. That said, Microsoft has a handful of exciting games and they've released almost all of them on PS5 now. All that's left is Gears and Halo. I mean, sure, there are probably dozens of people who want to see killer Instinct and State of Decay too.

I personally hope Microsoft continues to kill it as a third party publisher. That sort of guarantees an end to the console war nonsense and improves the odds of more and more of their games coming to future PlayStation consoles. That said, Microsoft has a handful of exciting games and they've released almost all of them on PS5 now. All that's left is Gears and Halo. I mean, sure, there are probably dozens of people who want to see killer Instinct and State of Decay too.
MS had been a 3rd party publisher for a lot longer than they had Xbox. One could argue that they are better at it.

Xbox was originally meant to compete with Sony to take over the TV room. This role no longer exists and Xbox no longer has a life mission. Going back to being 3rd party was always what Microsoft is comfortable with.

NickFire

Possible. But pulling out is a lot easier said then done. Even when people know that staying in will cost them 18 years of financial pain they still don’t pull out. If people can’t pull out to save money, will they really start pulling out when it will cost them billions if the pull out occurs?

wolffy66

The biggest thing here that most people overlook for whatever reason, is just how much better these types of moves are for PC.

More and more games have cross play. More games are able to utilize cross saves. And that is removing the wall that seperated pc from console.

There was a time when changing platforms meant leaving the friend group you had behind but with things like cross play and discord, it's no longer a factor.

Raven77

Lol. Is this really a news story?

Something unprecedented happens and people buy the games. What a shocker!

Guys how crazy would it be if DC suddenly started releasing Batman comics under the Marvel label and those Batman comics ended up out selling some Marvel comics that month!?!? CRAZY

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Activision/Blizzard$68.7 Billion
Bethesda/Zenimax$7.5 Billion
Mojang$2.5 Billion
ObsidianUnknown
Rare$375 Million

They spent at least $80 billion to acquire these publishers/studios. Just these publishers/studios, mind you. They have acquired much more than these over the years.

Also, almost every game listed was released prior to Microsoft's acquisition of said publisher/studio.

Go Microsoft?

reinking

Gold Member
The funny part about this is Sony guys think this is some sort of gotcha moment when even 70% of millions of games sold for a port to an untapped market is a lot of money in the MS shareholders pockets
Both sides think it is a gotcha moment when the reality is we have all been had. None of these decisions are made for us anymore no matter how much companies pretend they are doing things for “the gamers.” This is all about those at the top cashing in.

Top Bottom