• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has more best-sellers on PlayStation Store than Sony does

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sure, if you think PC ports is the same thing as Playstation ports...

But reality is different

MS launched TWO CONSOLES in 2020 to steal marketshare from Sony, now less than 4 years later they are porting their games to the competitor's console....

This Is Fine GIF

They attempted to steal marketshare and it didn't work. No business minded individual is going to not understand a company attempting to go after their own investment, they are also going to remove the emotion from it and look at how they make money in the future.

Microsoft are doing what they think is the next logical step. Releasing games on playstation and making a shit load of money. Theyve admitted defeat in that hardware landscape. Probably for the best of everyone.

midnightAI

You are correct, I just like the Xbox HW and I hope that now they will be hopefully making money, they will continue to do HW. I don't care much about MS games outside of Flight Sim and Forza Horizon.
Oh I certainly do hope Xbox carries on with hardware, it should in theory at least keep Sony honest (although there is no evidence that Sony would suddenly increase prices with less competition but at least this way its even less likely for that to happen). Also, in my opinion, it helps developers (especially indies) if they have more platforms their software can be sold on especially with Xbox being so similar to PC's its an easy port.

I am also hoping Xbox makes a handheld, maybe it will then allow for more competition in the handheld space (I think Sony is certainly thinking about a full return to the handheld space also with Portal being a little bit of a testbed)

What are you talking about? There was a meltdown going on like a month ago because the community was freaking out about it. Maybe it was 2 months I can't remember anymore.

A meltdown where? Here? No.

Twitter and YouTube full of people playing personalities to get clicks? Sure I guess, but those people are insane on all sides and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

I know people here like to point to tweets as some sort of representation of the typical gamer on platform a b or c but that’s not reality.

Sure, if you think PC ports is the same thing as Playstation ports...

But reality is different

MS launched TWO CONSOLES in 2020 to steal marketshare from Sony, now less than 4 years later they are porting their games to the competitor's console....

This Is Fine GIF

GAF for years: LOL you don’t buy an Xbox for exclusives, it doesn’t have any

GAF now: LOL you’re losing all of your Xbox exclusives

Please pick a narrative, warriors

dorkimoe

said it before, ill say it again. Microsoft could have all the same games sony does and sony fans are so loyal and blind to the brand they still wouldnt get an xbox. (not talking about every sony fan, you know who im talking about)

graywolf323

said it before, ill say it again. Microsoft could have all the same games sony does and sony fans are so loyal and blind to the brand they still wouldnt get an xbox. (not talking about every sony fan, you know who im talking about)
doctor who pat GIF

okay? so? why should someone have to buy a second $300-500 machine if they don’t want to? 🤨 most people aren’t like the usual user you’ll find on GAF who might own multiple consoles

not to mention the same thing applies in reverse (and then there’s Nintendo-only users and PC-only users)

Humdinger

Piscatella insists.....

Now that Xbox is gone, consoles don't matter

AHAHAHAHAHAH

Well, Piscatella is right about one thing. The console wars are over -- or at least nearly so.

Of course, you'll still have the holdouts like Colt Eastwood, holed up like a 80 year old Japanese soldier, not realizing the war ended.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's not the point. The point is the hypocrisy of green rats, that are now cheering for something that just a year ago they were rejecting as impossible

Gamers are not shareholders
I mean many ponies were saying they would never support PlayStation if they ever ported that first game to PC now some of those same people celebrate it as more money for Sony.

In the end who actually cares?

goodfellas GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Activision/Blizzard$68.7 Billion
Bethesda/Zenimax$7.5 Billion
Mojang$2.5 Billion
ObsidianUnknown
Rare$375 Million

They spent at least $80 billion to acquire these publishers/studios. Just these publishers/studios, mind you. They have acquired much more than these over the years.

Also, almost every game listed was released prior to Microsoft's acquisition of said publisher/studio.

Go Microsoft?
To be fair 2 of these are from decades ago. Like you don't think MS has long since paid off the Rare and Mojang acquisitions?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean many ponies were saying they would never support PlayStation if they ever ported that first game to PC now some of those same people celebrate it as more money for Sony.

goodfellas GIF
There is a very loud minority of PS players who disapprove of the PC ports even today. thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best and ProtoByte ProtoByte come to mind

Can you list any Xbox players doing the same for this?

In the last 40 years of gaming PC was never competing with consoles...

Now all of a sudden we should believe they do??

IFireflyl

Gold Member
To be fair 2 of these are from decades ago. Like you don't think MS has long since paid off the Rare and Mojang acquisitions?

I'm not sure what you're expecting me to say. It didn't have anything to do with my point. The two referenced are also the two cheapest acquisitions listed.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
In the last 40 years of gaming PC was never competing with consoles...

Now all of a sudden we should believe they do??
There are lots of other broad trends taking place in the industry. Consoles have grown closer to PCs with pro models put out, multiple graphics modes, etc. PCs now get virtually all console games day 1 which was never the case in the past. Consoles are not able to cut price aggressively after launch and actually went up in price this gen after launch. Console gamers are trending older, and they have more money. PC use is simplifying as well with less intimate knowledge of computers needed to use them, which is not how it used to be. Doesn't mean you have to believe anything. Buy what you want.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
EXACTLY. It isn't Sony fans who should be upset by this news ...it's every Xbox owner who should! Like why the fuck did I spend $500 on a Series X for just for MS to eventually put everything on PS5?

This is the generation where because of Nice Guy Phil and MS putting this stuff in motion, consoles are starting a long slow death. All this multiplatform shit and subscriptions has weakened consoles importance and made PC the dominant platform. It will only get worse as time goes on and everything is released on everything.

All console gamers should be annoyed at how homogenized everything is becoming and by MS AND SONY focusing on multiplatform. It was 100% Microsoft pushing the industry in this direction. All the consolidation was started by MS too ...but Sony has followed suit. Of course people can't get past console wars instead of just sticking to the reality that even tho MS forced Sony's hand, Sony is heading in the same direction.

Sony knows PC is Switzerland. It's neutral ground. It's not the same as putting the game on a competing console.

If more Xbox games coming multiplatform including to PlayStation, then I would be happy to support this. Thanks, Uncle Phil.

Exactly! This proves that It's the PlayStation Gamers that arr the ones That actually buy games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The funny part about this is Sony guys think this is some sort of gotcha moment when even 70% of millions of games sold for a port to an untapped market is a lot of money in the MS shareholders pockets
I think most Sony guys would be happy to have more games to play. Most don't care that 70% of that money is going to MS.

TheKratos

Microsoft, no time at all. It is not like they have lost the money either as these purchases are all assets to the corporation.
Too simple take. Activision did not have 70b worth of assets. MSFT paid 70b for roughly 30b worth of assets, and note I'm completely ignoring their liabilities (and thus their enterprise value).

MSFT overpaid by 30/40/50b, now consider how much revenue does the biggest title, COD, bring anually? Even if it was 5b per year it would take a 6/8/10 years to get your money back, and again I'm only talking about revenue not even considering the cost of sales.

I wouldn't consider having to wait 5+ years to break even on an investment a great investment, especially if your main source is one very old franchise and the risk of declining revenues is much greater than before.

Reckheim

I think most Sony guys would be happy to have more games to play. Most don't care that 70% of that money is going to MS.
yeh, some dude that plays Madden and COD will just be like 'wow; so many great games available on my system, it even gets xbox games now', why would they care about how much money Sony makes.

All these mouth breathers online think that everyone else's lives also revolve around a plastic box made by a 3 trillion dollar company.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thanks for that post. Do you K ow who owns the Stellar Blade IP?

I think Shift Up own the IP, not sure, they have the TM.

Shift up owns the trademark.

LYmSslN.jpeg

Last edited:

midnightAI

Since the launch on PC will be a no-brainer, but will Sony be the one to distribute? And if Sony only owns the distribution rights for this game and not the sequel, will it come out on Xbox?
Shift Up have signed a second party developer contract with Sony, chances are going forward for the foreseeable future Shift Up will be exclusive to Sony (not sure how long the second party agreement is for but it wouldn't suprise me if Sony bought them outright especially if Stellar Blade does well)

Three

Exactly, if most playstation users were actually upset about the games being by Microsoft this thread wouldn't even exist. Most couldn't care less.

They're just poking fun at Phil for stating that as the reason why he didn't release the games on PS (like he didn't make 70%) then doing it anyway.

Humdinger

[...] It wouldn't surprise me if Sony bought them [Shift Up] outright, especially if Stellar Blade does well.

That would be great. I hope they do. It would signal a more enlightened approach, rather than increasingly woke one they've been following. I am critical of MS and only own a PS5, but I'm no fan of Sony, either.

Exactly, if most playstation users were actually upset about the games being by Microsoft this thread wouldn't even exist. Most couldn't care less.

I'm happy about it. I imagine most PS gamers are. They get access to more games -- and to games that Xbox previously signaled would be exclusive (i.e., games they would not get). What's not to like? Even if you can only find a few games in the MS catalog that appeal to you, it's still good news.

Last edited:
Top Bottom