• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

For those paying for both XBL and PS+...

How many multiplayer games are you playing on each? Which service is a better return for the # of games you are playing on it?

Fluctuates for me, used to mainly play Halo 5 as far as multiplayer goes, but now I mainly play Battlefield 1 on PS4.

Nekketsu Kõha;245846634 said:
I didn't read his post as passive aggressive. You on the other hand with lots of "garbage" this "fuck that" lol

By the way does Sony release more exclusives than Nintendo? PC? Mobile?
I'm talking consoles obviously. Mobile and PC will always beat any console by substantial amount since the ps3/360/wii era. It wasn't close then or won't be now. My language is liberating, but focusing trivial things such as me saying fuck.

It's just nauseating to read this every single year thinking Mattrick is the black hole that has held Microsoft captive. Not that he wasn't a colossus fuckup of epic proportions, but his replacement basically stopped talking about the media and says the nice pr statements that don't actually hold value. That's why I'm asking for actual points on how Phil is so different in the game department when he cancels games, shuts down companies, there hasn't been some increase on big game sellers with the same Halo, Gears, Forza trinity being spewed with regularity. I'm pretty sure he's been in office for 4 years. Last E3, MS closed with a 3rd party game that wasn't even timed exclusive. Hell under that bum Mattrick, they had a much more promising exclusive library out of the gate than they do for XBX1. Instead of getting some rebuttals, I read completely pointless posts like the below one instead.

^or read like that. It's obvious what you are doing, you are not fooling anyone.

joecanada

I usually own all consoles at some point, but having bought a gaming pc and never really getting into forza or gears.................. I think the only MS game I own so far is Ryse on PC? I'm not sure what to get next, sea of thieves maybe ? its weird because I don't even really know whats coming, crackdown as well but crackdown 2 was so monumentally bad that I would have to wait and see what it's like.

Uh... That list is.... Bizarre. No More Heroes 3? Pikmin 4? 2017??

On the switch side half the games were barely teased, let alone release in 2017. And there is an entry for Pokemon 2017. And if this list would be honest it would put last gen games that are on BC since you can't play those in any other console this gen.

Hedon

Banned
I'm talking consoles obviously. Mobile and PC will always beat any console by substantial amount since the ps3/360/wii era. It wasn't close then or won't be now. My language is liberating, but focusing trivial things such as me saying fuck.

It's just nauseating to read this every single year thinking Mattrick is the black hole that has held Microsoft captive. Not that he wasn't a colossus fuckup of epic proportions, but his replacement basically stopped talking about the media and says the nice pr statements that don't actually hold value. That's why I'm asking for actual points on how Phil is so different in the game department when he cancels games, shuts down companies, there hasn't been some increase on big game sellers with the same Halo, Gears, Forza trinity being spewed with regularity. I'm pretty sure he's been in office for 4 years. Last E3, MS closed with a 3rd party game that wasn't even timed exclusive. Hell under that bum Mattrick, they had a much more promising exclusive library out of the gate than they do for XBX1. Instead of getting some rebuttals, I read completely pointless posts like the below one instead.

I am not sure how my post differs from any of your pointless posts?

What has Phil Spencer NOT done that he stated he was GOING to do? Besides the fact that in his interview 2 months ago he said he is working on fixing their hardware problems first, and then getting the games going. He has has stated that he has signed new game deals that they have coming, and he said he has no desire to take 3rd party games and make them exclusive to the Xbox.

I am a long time gamer who prefers console gaming (though I do game on my PC as well for games like ARMA III, etc). But I have my Xbox for games like Halo, Quantum Break, Tacoma, Ori. I have my PS Pro for games like Nier, The Last Guardian, Journey, etc. Xbox has enough games on it that my backlog is big. PS has enough games on it that my backlog is big as well.

It really seems like people such as yourself have an issue with gamers enjoying all of the experiences instead of choosing a side.

Stanng243

I am not sure how my post differs from any of your pointless posts?

What has Phil Spencer NOT done that he stated he was GOING to do? Besides the fact that in his interview 2 months ago he said he is working on fixing their hardware problems first, and then getting the games going. He has has stated that he has signed new game deals that they have coming, and he said he has no desire to take 3rd party games and make them exclusive to the Xbox.

I am a long time gamer who prefers console gaming (though I do game on my PC as well for games like ARMA III, etc). But I have my Xbox for games like Halo, Quantum Break, Tacoma, Ori. I have my PS Pro for games like Nier, The Last Guardian, Journey, etc. Xbox has enough games on it that my backlog is big. PS has enough games on it that my backlog is big as well.

It really seems like people such as yourself have an issue with gamers enjoying all of the experiences instead of choosing a side.

He said in 2015 they were going to invest more in first party. We certainly haven't seen that yet. One my other favorites is that he said cancelling Scalebound was better for Xbox gamers.

alt27

Nekketsu Kõha;245846634 said:
I didn't read his post as passive aggressive. You on the other hand with lots of "garbage" this "fuck that" lol

By the way does Sony release more exclusives than Nintendo? PC? Mobile?

Pretty sure Sony releases more than Nintendo in terms of games. Obviously PC has more because of the type of platform it is. But its down to what you like. You seem to love Nintendo, but me, I cant stand super cartoony kids IPs that Nintendo pumps out, so PS has what I resonate too.

And why do you bring up Mobile all the time? 99% of the games are trash and the app stores are flooded with wannabe developers from their bedrooms.

Hedon

Banned
He said in 2015 they were going to invest more in first party. We certainly haven't seen that yet. One my other favorites is that he said cancelling Scalebound was better for Xbox gamers.

True, we haven't seen it yet. How long does it take to make a new AAA IP from scratch? I wouldn't know, since I haven't made one.

It seems like Xbox is still doing well, though I'm not sure we've gotten numbers in awhile.
Microsoft was handling it pretty well at the beginning of the gen with a ton of exclusives though I guess that wasn't working out.
It's a bit strange in the generation they needed to differentiate themselves the most in terms of software library they seemingly have gone in the opposite direction.

Still a bit bummed about Scalebound. Would've likely purchased an XB1 for it since I love PG's work. Right now I can't think of much coming out in the future I'm interested in.

joecanada

True, we haven't seen it yet. How long does it take to make a new AAA IP from scratch? I wouldn't know, since I haven't made one.

how long does it take to make a game? a few years .

how long does it take pr to start bragging about games? I'm gonna say one year tops

alt27

Firstly, you need a studio to make said game. One thats not pre occupied with another franchise

Pretty sure Sony releases more than Nintendo in terms of games. Obviously PC has more because of the type of platform it is. But its down to what you like. You seem to love Nintendo, but me, I cant stand super cartoony kids IPs that Nintendo pumps out, so PS has what I resonate too.

And why do you bring up Mobile all the time? 99% of the games are trash and the app stores are flooded with wannabe developers from their bedrooms.

Firstly, you need a studio to make said game. One thats not pre occupied with another franchise

Why, they could make it from their bedrooms afterall.

jayj

Banned
I honestly think all the focus on exclusives to derive the value of a console is a flawed outlook.

Is it an incentive? Sure. Does having more exclusives make a console more appealing? Not exactly. I think it's all on your tastes, Xbox seems to specialize in Forza these days.

1 or 2 is all they honestly need. People don't buy Xbox just for the exclusives. Neither do people buy PlayStation just for the exclusives. We are the minority here on gaf.

Neither do people buy PlayStation just for the exclusives.
With the amount of exclusives that are rated highly I'd say people do. If they're buying the console for games that will be a strong consideration. It doesn't have to be "just" for the exclusives either for it to be a large factor in the decision.

When I decided to jump back into console gaming The Last of Us, Uncharted and Destiny getting a better deal were big contributing factors. Had I waited Bloodborne would have been a definite swing as a fan of Souls games.

sam12

Whatever happened to those Capcom games that were teased, knights of aegis or whatever it was called, any credibility to rumors about being Xbox exclusives?

Hedon

Banned
how long does it take to make a game? a few years .

how long does it take pr to start bragging about games? I'm gonna say one year tops

I would say it takes longer than "a few years" to typically make a new IP from the ground up. Or even if not from the ground up. How long does it take to make Call of Duty for each developer? 3 years on an existing engine. How long did it take to make Horizon Zero Dawn? 6 years. How long did it take to make Nioh? 12 years. How long did it take to make The Last Guardian? 10 years. Spiderman? 4 years. Uncharted 4? 5 years. What is the release date for The Last of Us 2? How about Persona 5? 7 years to hit Japan, 8 year to hit the US.

Do you recall Phil stating this year that he isn't going to announce games that are not in a ready to show state?

13ruce

Banned
I was planning buying a one since more friends of mine own that and my ps4 is a japanese + singleplaer machine now i oly play mutliplayer on my switch online.

Oh only gta still on ps4 with a couple of friends.

Since Nintendo probably make 2 hardware gamig consoles anymore with the hybrid like form abd mobile gaming i might aswell replace that secondary Nintendo hardware with a xbox.

Wich i will probably do next year.
But still it's kinda dissapointing how few exclusive major games are coming especially first party wise and i have been keeping a close eye on it this year.

I will play the fuck out of both ori games tho lol and get some multiplayer and alrrady released singleplayer games + some digital missed 360 games and older exclusive one games.

Would also game on pc if i had enough time or more irl friends playing on pc but i only have the free time and income to sustain 3 consoles/handheld at any time.

I will wait it out till next year a bit and otherwise i can always buy a cheap S instead of scorpio. Got a few tattoos + car license coming up so thats why i am waiting too.

okita

they do , but sincerely if i was in MS position, probably would focus the exclusive development for their next gen console to start strong , the actual battle is already lost

MilkyJoe

they do , but sincerely if i was in MS position, probably would focus the exclusive development for their next gen console to start strong , the actual battle is already lost

Are they not done with generations and therefore exclusives for the next console?

Ok...among many, many other issues on this comparison, can we at least agree that Metroid Prime 4 and "Pokémon for Switch" aren't 2017 titles?

Honestly, I can't even get in the head space of someone who looks at that page and thinks "I need to share this."

That list is full of games that won't release in 2017. It's basically just a list of currently announced console-exclusive software (+ Ace Combat 7, for some reason).

They really do. It was the main reason why I didn't buy one until recently and since I've bought it I've mainly used it to play BC games.

Gestault

That list is full of games that won't release in 2017. It's basically just a list of currently announced exclusive software.

I think that's giving it too much credit, considering how they frame it (and disregarding the effort put into filling the respective lists):

2017 exclusives comparison: PS4 vs Xbox One vs Switch [Updated]
Below you will find a list of all the exclusives currently revealed for each format. Be sure to note that more games will be announced for 2017 before the year runs its course - especially around the launch of the Nintendo Switch in March, and Microsoft's Project Scorpio console in Q4. It's also possible that some of these games will end up releasing in 2018 or (shudder) 2019, but they still remain in the future of the console you purchase.

alt27

MS need 2-3 big new franchises but they seem to want them to be GAAS models, which im not sure is a great idea

I think that's giving it too much credit, considering how they frame it (and disregarding the effort put into fulling the respective lists):

Oh, they frame it horribly, but that's what it is. It's full of games from all three publishers that won't launch this year. I'm certainly not going to argue that it's a good article.

So wait. I am confused. Are there people arguing for Microsoft to continue this particular release cycle as it has been for the past couple years? I mean if you are a fan of the ecosystem or what have you, put their feet to the fire regarding 1st party games output and then support them if they are good games. It seems like they are quite responsive to public opinion and outcry of all the console makers. Acting like everything is a-okay and defending this will only serve to send the message that this level of output is acceptable.

Let's get a return to form single player Fable. Let's get sequels from other games from their IP libraries of the 360 and the original one. Let's see what studios like 343 can dream up without being attached to one specific IP. Let's get just more games and more often.

(Seriously, I just mentioned in another thread I am passing on the Xbox One X. MS you make a jaw dropping Single Player Fable that looks amazing, I would start saving for the X.)

Thats rich coming from you. When you sober up, you might want to re read this thread.

Have a good day

I'm sober alright. Maybe you didn't realize that you replied to me for starters lol started calling developers shit and working out their bedrooms and whine about the Cartoon Nintendo. Then you felt I was obnoxious and had to let me know. Just gonna ignore you now.

zeexlash

Dire lineup this year altogether, really needed Scalebound and Sea of Thieves. I still don't have much faith in Crackdown 3..

Top Bottom