• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

I guess they may be struggling with getting funding approved for new first party stuff? Most Xbox games don't appeal to me, but I'd like to eventually get a One S for Rare Reply and Cuphead. Maybe a few others. No interest in stuff like Forza, I prefer racers like Burnout in comparison. Oh, and an One S for 4K blu-ray, because I have a 4K TV but nothing yet to watch 4K discs with.

Doc_Drop

I'm sure they were trying to utilize the license even though they probably couldn't justify a "full game" budget, but following up Fable 3 with a Kinect game, an XBL beat-em-up, a hilariously mis-timed 360 remake of Fable 1 and...what, a card game? Then trying to put together a class-based online co-op game for XB1? Nah, I'd love a full-throated sequel, but they diluted that franchise in a way that was obvious to anyone seeing it happen.
For sure, Fable was my major intro to the OG and 360, and I worked gaming retail for the rest and it was heart breaking. Potty mouthed Brit choice based old England RPG is just yes, what they ended up doing with it really soured me towards MS and the end of last gen made it worse. The next gen reveal was the last nail and I'm just sitting and waiting for them to get their shit together again...still waiting 4 years into this gen

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
At this point even a Fable on par with the third game would be welcome. I miss the series, with the second game being the high point for me. I was so hooked on every aspect of it.

Nekketsu Kõha;245858766 said:
It is gonna be an interesting 2018.
I think X is going to give MS a decent boost but just like Xbox S, the momentum will die down heading into the new year because of nothing major to sustain.

I believe the only country Xbox is leading in sales is Mexico.
I think there are also 1 or 2 more places where Xbox is performing better as well but I can't recall of the top of my head.

I guess they may be struggling with getting funding approved for new first party stuff? Most Xbox games don't appeal to me, but I'd like to eventually get a One S for Rare Reply and Cuphead. Maybe a few others. No interest in stuff like Forza, I prefer racers like Burnout in comparison. Oh, and an One S for 4K blu-ray, because I have a 4K TV but nothing yet to watch 4K discs with.

You would be better off with a PC. Most of their games are coming out on that and they do invest in Windows 10 for their games. Any gaps missing you will 9 out of 10 times find it on a PC. You can always get a standalone bluray player, got a Sony myself usually dropping in price and easy to find good deals on. Not trying to tell you want to do of course.

This is a well timed thread because the last time this thread was made before E3, alot of people kept saying "Wait for E3 to see if there are exclusives announced, then criticize". And we all know what happened at E3.. "Console Launch Exclusive". So that didn't really draw any confidence in people that Xbox would have a diverse lineup of exclusives coming out.

For me personally, I'm ok with my Xbox One for just playing games that I have missed (GwG primariliy) and 3rd-party games. Plus EA access is good value. If it weren't for those things, I would've sold them along time ago.

It was under Don Matrricks leadership that investments shifted to Project Natal/Kinect and studios like Ensemble were shut down for explicitly no reason. If there is a reason why the Xbox Brand is struggling, it's because of Don Mattrick,

And his boss was *Drum Roll* ...
Don Mattrick.

So who's responsible for shutting down Lionhead? Team Dakota? Press Play? Getting rid of Twisted Pixel? Selling the Toy Soldiers IP? Their relationship with Crytek falling apart? This blaming Mattrick is getting a bit old since he's not been on the scene for about 4 years and Spencer has been head of Xbox for about 3.5 years.

Doc_Drop

This blaming Mattrick is getting a bit old since he's not been on the scene for about 4 years and Spencer has been head of Xbox for about 3.5 years.
Funnily enough, about time for new games to be popping up or be within a year or so of coming out

Edit - if next E3 isn't absolutely fantastic for MS then I don't know what to say other than completely toothless

So who's responsible for shutting down Lionhead? Team Dakota? Press Play? Getting rid of Twisted Pixel? Selling the Toy Soldiers IP? Their relationship with Crytek falling apart? This blaming Mattrick is getting a bit old since he's not been on the scene for about 4 years and Spencer has been head of Xbox for about 3.5 years.

This so much. Thankfully, the Spencer worship seems to have run its course since in the least thread about yet another stupid tweet he made, hardly anyone defended him.

Even fanboys can only take so much.

daTRUballin

Microsoft is definitely in desperate need of first party exclusives to stand a chance against Sony and Nintendo in that department. Give 343 and The Coalition another team to work on something new besides Halo and Gears. Same thing with Mojang maybe. Also, use Rare and their franchises to their fullest potential. That studio has been heavily underutilized since they were bought out.

And most importantly, stop cancelling games and closing down studios.

Papacheeks

Banned
Good lord @ Hedon's meltdown lol. That was some MisterX level of delusion.

giphy.gif

Keinning

Microsoft is definitely in desperate need of first party exclusives to stand a chance against Sony and Nintendo in that department.

I don't really think they intend to compete with both on this department, specifically

it's okay to be disappointed and drop the console if that's not what you're looking for, but for quite some time its already clear exclusives are not a main thing for xbox the console anymore

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Good lord @ Hedon's meltdown lol. That was some MisterX level of delusion.

Indeed. While him and Nekketsu have both made for an entertaining thread, I haven't seen it that bad in a good while :p

OT: At this point, if they were to return to their values of '05-'09, they'd be in good shape. Right now, it just feels like they don't care that much.

Nekketsu Kõha;245860130 said:
You would be better off with a PC. Most of their games are coming out on that and they do invest in Windows 10 for their games. Any gaps missing you will 9 out of 10 times find it on a PC. You can always get a standalone bluray player, got a Sony myself usually dropping in price and easy to find good deals on. Not trying to tell you want to do of course.
I don't game on PCs and I'm not interested in most of their games.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Agreed with the OP, this is why I have no interest in the One X... I like the hardware but the games just don't do it for me versus the competition.

The ๖ۜBronx;245850050 said:
With the amount of exclusives that are rated highly I'd say people do. If they're buying the console for games that will be a strong consideration. It doesn't have to be "just" for the exclusives either for it to be a large factor in the decision.

When I decided to jump back into console gaming The Last of Us, Uncharted and Destiny getting a better deal were big contributing factors. Had I waited Bloodborne would have been a definite swing as a fan of Souls games.

Stuff like Uncharted, Last of Us, Gran Turismo, etc sell PlayStations. Nioh, hellblade, Yakuza, Persona, etc does not.

Both systems generally have 1-3 blockbusters a year that sells systems. Outside of that, the general populace doesn't care. Most people are not game hoarders like all of us here.

Stuff like Uncharted, Last of Us, Gran Turismo, etc sell PlayStations. Nioh, hellblade, Yakuza, Persona, etc does not.

Both systems generally have 1-3 blockbusters a year that sells systems. Outside of that, the general populace doesn't care. Most people are not game hoarders like all of us here.
I would say that, from sales figures, at least a couple million people care about games like Persona and Nier, bud. As gamers, shouldn't you care more about having more games, more options, than how many consoles they sell individually?

Keinning

They might not sell consoles on their own (debatable) but together, they sure do. Fans of action games can get the console with Hellblade and Nioh over the others which dont have them. If they like jrpgs too, Nier Automata and Persona are also only avaliable for the same console. The games add up. Playstation is already the console of choice for jrpg fans just due to the amount of games that only hit that console, no matter how small they can individually be.

Sponge

Banned
I can't believe we're in a year where 2D Sonic, 3D Mario, Crash, even Bubsy are all getting games but Microsoft won't even look at Banjo-Kazooie. 90's nostalgia is hot and they are missing the boat.

daTRUballin

I can't believe we're in a year where 2D Sonic, 3D Mario, Crash, even Bubsy are all getting games but Microsoft won't even look at Banjo-Kazooie. 90's nostalgia is hot and they are missing the boat.

Preach! And Conker too. And Perfect Dark. I guess they did something with Killer Instinct, so I guess we can give credit for that.

Keinning

Banking on nostalgia is not that easy. Yes, Crash was wildly successful but it was the exception, not the rule - many other games tried and failed. Hell, we just had not-Banjo Kazooie in Yooka-Laylee and the game was received with "meh"s all around at its best. They don't have the talent to do a proper game right now, it's better than trying another nuts'n'bolts and killing the franchise for good. Rare Replay was a nice recent effort to bring the games to todays gamers.

daTRUballin

Banking on nostalgia is not that easy. Yes, Crash was wildly successful but it was the exception, not the rule - many other games tried and failed. Hell, we just had not-Banjo Kazooie in Yooka-Laylee and the game was received with "meh"s all around at its best. They don't have the talent to do a proper game right now, it's better than trying another nuts'n'bolts and killing the franchise for good. Rare Replay was a nice recent effort to bring the games to todays gamers.

Do we know this for sure? Or are we just making baseless assumptions here?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

They did remaster VooDoo Vince, although he wasn't a top tier mascot.

Keinning

Do we know this for sure? Or are we just making baseless assumptions here?

It's as baseless of an assumption as thinking they could do a successful banjo threeie that easily. Are you just being pedantic for sport? What we do know is that most of the old rare talent left and the name is mostly for the staff who did several mediocre Kinect games, so yeah, i would rather assume they don't have the talent than otherwise

Sponge

Banned

You've got a point with Yooka-Laylee, but I would be okay if Rare made a remake of Banjo-Kazooie or Tooie. It's what they wanted to do a decade ago before that game turned into Nuts & Bolts. It's a shame they didn't go through with that idea.

Sydle

They did remaster VooDoo Vince, although he wasn't a top tier mascot.

MS didn't do anything with VooDoo Vince. The original creator, who happens to work at MS, had his own external team make it and published through ID@Xbox. MS didn't lift a finger or fund it.

daTRUballin

It's as baseless of an assumption as thinking they could do a successful banjo threeie that easily. Are you just being pedantic for sport? What we do know is that most of the old rare talent left and the name is mostly for the staff who did several mediocre Kinect games, so yeah, i would rather assume they don't have the talent than otherwise

I'd rather assume nothing rather than assuming they can or can't do it. Especially since there's no recent evidence we can point to that suggests they can't make a proper sequel to any of their franchises because they haven't worked on these franchises for years. My whole point is that we shouldn't easily dismiss Rare just because a lot of their current employees aren't veterans of the past. I've always maintained this level of thought and I will continue to do so.

After all, that means we would have to dismiss almost any other game studio that exists, even some of the more renowned ones.

In previous years, you could count on Microsoft to have a stacked lineup of Fall exclusives. This year, all they have is Forza and Crackdown 3.

In NA, Xbox really can just coast on the X and multiplats. But I can't even imagine that this holiday will be stellar worldwide.

Honestly, the primary problem I think is that the XBox contingent do not buy most exclusive games. There are a few exceptions, but typically they are very particular about what they buy. For example, imo none of those listed PS4 or Switch exclusives would of sold well on the XBox One imo. Not to mention that it just does not seems like Mircrosoft really cares about building up a strong first party.

Nafai1123

Banned
It seems they just aren't interested in investing in building up their 1st party portfolio. It's taken years for Sony to build the portfolio of studios they have, which then allows them to do all kinds of weird and risky stuff while still pumping out their money makers. MS seems to be of the idea that if a studio makes a game that reviews poorly or doesn't make money, it's not worth investing in that studio anymore. I wish they were riskier with their investments in the gaming space for sure, but alas they are not.

It seems they just aren't interested in investing in building up their 1st party portfolio. It's taken years for Sony to build the portfolio of studios they have, which then allows them to do all kinds of weird and risky stuff while still pumping out their money makers. MS seems to be of the idea that if a studio makes a game that reviews poorly or doesn't make money, it's not worth investing in that studio anymore. I wish they were riskier with their investments in the gaming space for sure, but alas they are not.

Not at least til they get the losing money back.
I mean, i think they still didn't cover the money lost from OG Xbox and early 360(RROD) years.

I think that's also why they are playing safe, and don't really that care about how gaming forum people thinking right now, since current way actually works and earning money.

ViciousDS

Banned

Which sucks because quantum break was my very first 1000/1000 gamerscore game. It's been my favorite exclusive this gen and a second game by remedy would definitely have been insanely improved and truly an amazing effort. The gunplay and combat was so much fun.

Ryse was actually my second favorite exclusive as well. Another IP which would have been most likely amazing come the second game and the sad part is the multiplayer in the first one already had some games as a service model......you didn't need to buy anything and it was a lot of fun for what little there was. Add a few more modes and stuff it truly could have had a fantastic sequel.

My two favorite IPs released by Microsoft this generation didn't review well but they had so much potential to truly expand and deliver one an amazing sequel from learning from their mistakes.

Quantum Break had a chance if they added multiplayer to truly be the next FEAR in terms of fun with controlling time and everything

I hate how console warriory this sounds, but is the general Xbox consumer base really all that interested in exclusives outside the trifecta of Halo, Gears and Forza?

For full context, my personal experience with Xbox is limited. I owned a XBO for a number of years before trading it in for a Switch, but otherwise have never owned a MS console. That said, the impression I've always had was that Xbox exclusives outside Halo/Gears/Forza tend to only be moderately successful at best.

Off memory, Blue Dragon, Phantom Dust, Sunset Overdrive and ReCore were all exclusives that just came and went. Tomb Raider was a launch exclusive and notoriously underperformed. The only non trinity exclusives I know of that even got a sequel are Mass Effect and Titanfall, and both got sequels that came out on other consoles. I will grant that the ME franchise was strongly associated with the 360 and did very well on that platform, but that's the only one I'm aware of that found success as a Xbox exclusive.

Keinning

I hate how console warriory this sounds, but is the general Xbox consumer base really all that interested in exclusives outside the trifecta of Halo, Gears and Forza?

For full context, my personal experience with Xbox is limited. I owned a XBO for a number of years before trading it in for a Switch, but otherwise have never owned a MS console. That said, the impression I've always had was that Xbox exclusives outside Halo/Gears/Forza tend to only be moderately successful at best.

Off memory, Blue Dragon, Phantom Dust, Sunset Overdrive and ReCore were all exclusives that just came and went. Tomb Raider was a launch exclusive and notoriously underperformed. The only non trinity exclusives I know of that even got a sequel are Mass Effect and Titanfall, and both got sequels that came out on other consoles. I will grant that the ME franchise was strongly associated with the 360 and did very well on that platform, but that's the only one I'm aware of that found success as a Xbox exclusive.

I mean, does it have to be exclusive? Plenty other games find success on the platform despite being multiplats. Most people i know who stay on xbox platforms are there mainly for the services offered and not because they can play games other people can't (and that will only get "worse" now that all MS titles are hitting PC as well)

Dead Rising is also strongly associated with xbox and had okay sales before DR4 which is just a terrible game all around

blakep267

I mean, does it have to be exclusive? Plenty other games find success on the platform despite being multiplats. Most people i know who stay on xbox platforms are there mainly for the services offered and not because they can play games other people can't (and that will only get "worse" now that all MS titles are hitting PC as well)

Dead Rising is also strongly associated with xbox and had okay sales before DR4 which is just a terrible game all around
Multiplat games don't ever count in these situations. I mean people itt seem to think only exclusives matter. I mean they're cool but GTA and Minecraft are still going to be the most played games regardless.

ViciousDS

Banned

I would have to say no. At this point none of my friends play the big 3.....at all. They just stay because its Xbox and the Ecosystem. Most of them HOWEVER did for the first time grab a Sony console this gen to go along with their xbox because they like the exclusives. But even despite the power disparity in the original consoles they only care because of friends and the ecosystem. Consumers play, where their friends are.....however appealing games will pull people........just over time. Like the PS3 did....the problem is this year would be Xbox's Ones, PS3 2009 year......but nothing really hit the note like Sony did to sway consumers back like in 2009.

Timu

If you count Hellblade as a console exclusive then you can count all those X1/PC games as console exclusives as well.

gamz

Ori isn't a thing?

Limbo and MC were huge on Xbox. MC is still strongly associated with Xbox.

I would have to say no. At this point none of my friends play the big 3.....at all. They just stay because its Xbox and the Ecosystem. Most of them HOWEVER did for the first time grab a Sony console this gen to go along with their xbox because they like the exclusives. But even despite the power disparity in the original consoles they only care because of friends and the ecosystem. Consumers play, where their friends are.....however appealing games will pull people........just over time. Like the PS3 did....the problem is this year would be Xbox's Ones, PS3 2009 year......but nothing really hit the note like Sony did to sway consumers back like in 2009.

No it's not, come on man, PS3 slim dropped a lot of price while One X is something significantly expensive than One S, most of normal consumers will get One S if they plan to buy Xbox One, not even MS think One X is big and will make Xbox come back(compare to Sony in sales).

Top Bottom