• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

Castef

Banned
They have nothing. Nothing.

They could start talking with third parties and getting games like NIER: Automata, Dragon Quest XI or Persona 5. Does not seem to me an impossible task. Having exclusives gives a strong message, yet also saying "Look, we TOO have this big game" is important. They have to break the "PC/PS4" release streak (which is now becoming often PC/PS4/Switch), in addition to pursuing exclusive games.

le.phat

From a third-party standpoint, the situation should improve for Xbox in 2018 because Phil Spencer has signed a fair number of timed exclusivity deals in recent months. There were some promising looking games during the 2017 E3 presentation.

Timed-exclusives only help shareholder meetings and internet arguments. It doesn't improve Microsoft's lineup if they pay to keep it off the other consoles for a set amount of time. It does nothing but draw venom from the community at large.

The biggest challenge that Microsoft faces, is that they simply don't know what gamers want. The few shoe-in franchises they maintain have all been 'optimized' for mainstream appeal, and still hit a ceiling with just a few million sales. They have no shot at cracking the mainstream because they simply don't understand the mainstream. That's the difference when you compare them with Sony and Nintendo.

c0de

Well try running that through one by one:
BC - Honestly the best tangible benefit of the XO over the PS4.
Exclusives - If you like the Microsoft exclusives just that much more despite there being fewer of them, okay, maybe so.
Controller preference - Even more minor and subjective than the above point about exclusives. You would have to weigh this much higher than normal when the DS4 isn't even considered a 'bad' controller.
Price/Bundles - Is it actually cheaper? And what makes bundles attractive if the exclusives aren't there?
Friends - Now we're just into factors that have nothing to do with the system itself. This is completely reliant on what your friends happen to like.

Just saying, aside from BC and (potentially) better-running third-party games for XOX these aren't great points in Microsoft's favour.

Besides bc and price, everything is subjective. And this is why Xbox still sells, although many don't know why anyone would buy the system.
I also didn't say my list is complete and I didn't say everyone has to agree but people buy things for different reasons and that's not limited to games. And it's especially not only exclusivity that made 80 million people buy a 360 and another 80 million people buy a PS3.
But I get that people think so because it is *their* reason so they think others think the same which is even true on this forum. But not for million other people.

Game Pass could be a way bigger bullet point for some consumers than HZD or Uncharted 4.

While true, a lot of the discussions here are made on an assumption on what is bigger for a broader majority of customers. It's why super niche exclusives like Utawarerumono, are never brought up in discussions like this.

And the reality is when amazing services like EA Access had no notable impact in bumping sales of Xbox Ones... or when PS+ Games on PS3 had minimal impact on increasing subscription services of PS+, but only starting growing when MP paywall was implemented...

Services like EA Access and Game Pass are unlikely to be major influencers in terms of pushing hardware. It is what it is.

The MS of the past invested into huge new IP's (Gears), and made exclusive deals to have generation defying games (Oblivion, Bioshock) and region defying bundles (FIFA).

I don't understand what they're doing with Xbox One.

- Inferior hardware up until now
- Loss of franchises and studios
- Their big exclusives pale compared to their competition (not even Halo is as relevant anymore)
- Sony got a foot with indies long before MS decided to do something about it

It seems like they followed a horrible strategy pre-launch and they're slowly trying to turn things around. At least I hope they understand what the problem is, and will actively try to fix it for next gen - this one is as good as lost.

It really is odd and made worse by the fact that a new console came to the market(Switch) and the PS4 is having an all time year in terms of exclusives games. Hell, Sony had a better first month of this year than MS will have arguably all year.

It's a shame too, because MS has been killing it lately in terms of the system experience and customer satisfaction. It's amazing that MS let this year happen the way it did.

Other than Halo Wars 2(which was mentioned), they gave us two OG Xbox remasters and some indies.

anothertech

How many series become crazy huge and first one was released in this gen?
Yeah, Sony too, actually, 3rd parities too.
Horizon zero Dawn tho? Destiny for third party? Last gen Sony had Uncharted and the last of us.

I'm not saying MS can't release one this gen, it just hasn't happened yet and there's no signs of anything at that level coming in the near or distant future which is frustrating.

They've been doing fine on the service front, but the MS of 2006 - 10 is so long gone it's not even funny.

The Xbox One as a whole is surprising to me in the fact that I'm completely content in never picking it up, which is crazy to me as a person who usually ends up getting everything each generation.

It really is odd and made worse by the fact that a new console came to the market(Switch) and the PS4 is having an all time year in terms of exclusives games. Hell, Sony had a better first month of this year than MS will have arguably all year.

It's a shame too, because MS has been killing it lately in terms of the system experience and customer satisfaction. It's amazing that MS let this year happen the way it did.

Other than Halo Wars 2(which was mentioned), they gave us two OG Xbox remasters and some indies.

Because these games for PS4 mostly are not develop or even publish by Sony, you're asking MS throw money to make these games or well, moneyhatting Japanese publishers, and i'm pretty sure the result for both way would be people mocking or saying Xbox divison will close soon in MS financial threads, because i'm pretty sure these games won't even sold a break even sales in XB1.

Seriously, if you or anyone want to play these games, get a PS4(if don't own it yet) or built a gaming PC since some of these games also released for PC.

Horizon zero Dawn tho? Destiny for third party? Last gen Sony had Uncharted and the last of us.

I'm not saying MS can't release one this gen, it just hasn't happened yet and there's no signs of anything at that level coming in the near or distant future which is frustrating.

Horizon zero Dawn is not crazy huge.
Destiny? we will see how will 2 end up first, and i'm asking this gen, stop bringing last gen, or you counting Uncharted and the last of us but not counting Gears?
If you want to frustrating, frustrating to the million of players that only buying COD/FIFA and don't give a damn about anything else in every year.

Guymelef

They've been doing fine on the service front, but the MS of 2006 - 10 is so long gone it's not even funny.

The Xbox One as a whole is surprising to me in the fact that I'm completely content in never picking it up, which is crazy to me as a person who usually ends up getting everything each generation.

Same, Xbox One will end as the only plattform I'm not going to buy since Nes days.

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't agree with this. Sony does start weaker and Microsoft starts at its strongest. But I feel the PS4 library as a whole already blows away Xbox One's catalogue, and that gap is only going to substantially widen.

Sony started this gen weaker because they delivered [IMO] too much 1st/2nd party games for PS3 in 2013 - GoW Ascension, TLOU, GT6, Beyond Two Souls, last PS3 Ratchet game, and Puppeteer.

At the same time, MS had nothing notable for X360 that year.

When PS4 arrived, they had Knack, KZSF and Infamous in 1st half year, and then Bloodborne in early 2015 [TLOUR, PT and Driveclub in 2nd half of the 2014 gave them breathing space].

Last 2 Xbox generations, we had some crazy huge first party offerings that were new, fresh and became massive ip's. Halo, gears, and then Forza. Amazing experiences that continue to live on, even if it feels milked at this point.

But, where is this gens new massive ip? 3 years in and there's nothing comparable in sight. That's what's so upsetting.

What we want is the next Halo/Gears/Forza that we can add to the mighty trio in some form of first party greatness. Ryse and Quantum didn't hit the mark. Most of the other new first party stuff was much lower production value than the mighty 3. I've not much hope that pirate game will be comparible. I was hopeful for phantom Dust and Scalebound, but those got hosed.

To me, that's the issue this gen.

That's part of the problem, for sure. I really loved the first Xbox, the 360 was my first HD console. I don't own nor currently plan to buy a Xbone (unless they come out with 100% backwards compatibility for first Xbox since my old Xbox is not going to work forever).

Usually, for all you can criticize Sony and Nintendo, they do the following things right:
- Offer continuations of big IPs while also releasing new franchises with huge marketing. To be fair, Microsoft tried with Quantum Break and Re:Core, but failed for several reasons.
- Allow franchises to evolve to something new and radically different (thinking of upcoming God of War 4 and Zelda BotW, for example). Halo is moving away from what many fans liked about the franchise to begin with, Forza has been consistently great but it is not without alternatives on other consoles, Gears of War should have been over tbh with the end of the main story ark and the devs allowed to tackle something new (like Naughty Dog)
- Getting a lot of goodwill by press and gaming enthusiasts for smaller, more niche exclusives which might not be blockbusters but add to catalogue and perception of "you can have it all" to customers. Cuphead could have been that for MS, it is a critics darling and has a very strong look, but it has taken too long to release and it is one game vs. dozens like this on other platforms.
- Build a strong brand identity and deliever an idea (not neccesarily the truth :p) to your potential customers. Sony bas it ("Diverse gaming portfolio" "Storydriven games wiith great narratives" "Art and style"), Nintendo has it ("Multiplayer for everyone, local and online" "Here's your favorite retro franchises with great new ideas and high level of polish" "Play everywhere and play whether you're 10, 30 or 50 years old"). MS is... shooting and racing? Before, they've been "We have the best online!" or "We have the best tech!" and "We will surprise you with strong blockbuster games".

The sad thing is, Microsoft had it all during mid-360 era, and lost too much of it. So I can see why the strongly push the ideas of "Play everywhere" and the idea of Win10 and X1 gaming being two sides of the same coin. They want to be an overarching platform of gaming, with the Xbox brand not exclusively restricted to hardware, but software over several devices. I wish them luck on that, a lot of things they do (like allow multiplayer over different platforms, BC for 360 and Xbox, in general their skills with software, interfaces and OS) I like and it would be sad to see them leaving the console space. Especially since Sony in the lead with no real competition isn't great for the medium, either.

So, yeah, a push for some more exclusives would help a lot, especially with Scorpio where the bank everything on "3rd Parties will look the best on our platform". Which will probably be true, but they're still roughly the same experiences found on PS4 and PC.

Why do you people think that everyone prefers the PS exclusives? Unless you like 3rd person, it's pretty slim pickings.

third person shooters/action then, however you want to put it.

That's very reductive if not outright false. Sony make VR games (mostly first-person), third person open worlds, action adventures, shooters, platformers, superhero adventures, racing games, top-down shooters, sports games, horror games, artsy games (like Bound or Hohokum), and so on. I don't think MS even has such a diverse spread of genres.

Is it? i'm not down with the lingo, these days.

I believe so, and considering the OP has an Xbox and seems to be writing this from a position of genuine concern (as well as having a valid point), I don't think it can be dismissed as 'concern trolling'.

oti

Banned
While true, a lot of the discussions here are made on an assumption on what is bigger for a broader majority of customers. It's why super niche exclusives like Utawarerumono, are never brought up in discussions like this.

And the reality is when amazing services like EA Access had no notable impact in bumping sales of Xbox Ones... or when PS+ Games on PS3 had minimal impact on increasing subscription services of PS+, but only starting growing when MP paywall was implemented...

Services like EA Access and Game Pass are unlikely to be major influencers in terms of pushing hardware. It is what it is.

Can't counter any of that since we don't have the raw numbers.

As I've said, it's clear what the market decided the better of these two interchangeable products was.

But if someone walks into a retailer and doesn't own a console, there's the chance they could maybe prefer Xbox over PS4 because of the services. I'm not saying that's super likely or that services should be the main element for a platform holder to focus on, but that's what MS did with Xbox One.

It's amazing that the 360 dominated last gen and this gen Microsoft are just utter, utter shite.

I mean Sony aren't doing great either but they look fantastic compared to MS by default.

I really hope MS pick it up.

Horizon zero Dawn is not crazy huge.
Destiny? we will see how will 2 end up first, and i'm asking this gen, stop bringing last gen, or you counting Uncharted and the last of us but not counting Gears?
If you want to frustrating, frustrating to the million of players that only buying COD/FIFA and don't give a damn about anything else in every year.

If Forza and Gears fit the bill for crazy huge new IP's why wouldn't Horizon?

ViciousDS

Banned
My Xbox One is a 360 BC + Cuphead machine this year.

Yes, the console ATM is being used because I'm playing lost odyssey and blue dragon on it. Outside that there isn't an exclusive they have that I want outside cuphead this year. If it wasn't for the X coming out and my wants for having the latest hardware.........I could honestly give two shits about the console

Yeah, PS4's console exclusive lineup in the first half of 2017 is nothing short of insane:

- Gravity Rush 2
- Yakuza 0
- Nioh
- Nier Automata
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Persona 5
- Crash Bandicoot
- Nex Machina
- Pyre
- Hellblade

Vs. the following on Xbox
- Halo Wars 2
- Tacoma

God damn... I really hope Spencer has some exclusives in his pockets for next year.

120v

I think MS simply gave up competing with sony on the exclusives game and are huddling their efforts for later. i expect a completely different strategy, virtually no single player AAA, mostly all multiplayer, games-a-service type of stuff. which in theory isn't a terrible idea considering 3rd parties will reliably fill in the blanks for them

He count Forza, i don't lol, Forza was not even first title released as 360 game anyway.
And yeah HZD it's not in Gears series peak days yet, maybe HZD2 will happen, who knows.
It's not at the peak of Gears 3, but the first Gears sold close to 4 million in it's first year and HZD was at 3.4 mil 2 months ago. It's fair to say they're on the same trajectory.

ViciousDS

Banned
He count Forza, i don't lol, Forza was not even first title released as 360 game anyway.
And yeah HZD it's not in Gears series peak days yet, maybe HZD2 will happen, who knows.

Why do we count series peak days when gears is at 4 and horizon was the first.

How many copies did gears 4 even sell?

Both games for a new IP at release have sales pretty close. They are easily comparible

Halo Wars 2
Thimbleweed Park
Cities Skylines
Gigantic
Path of Exile
Crackdown 3
Cuphead
Lucy's Tale
PUBG

And I'm sure there are a few I'm leaving out. You may not like the games, but don't pretend they don't exist to manufacture a point.

Xbox one doesn't have enough exclusives and PS4 doesn't have ones that are any good?

Worst gens now and last.

Want great quality gaming and exclusives then PC and Nintendo Switch is it.

I don't understand why anyone still bother with Sony/MS. You can just hook up a PC to your TV with HDMI. It couldn't be more convenient these days to couch game with a computer.

Ponchito

It's a shame. I like the brand but my Xbox One has been collecting dust all year.

This year they missed the boat. The Xbox One X isn't enough.

It's not at the peak of Gears 3, but the first Gears sold close to 4 million in it's first year and HZD was at 3.4 mil 2 months ago. It's fair to say they're on the same trajectory.

Why do we count series peak days when gears is at 4 and horizon was the first.

How many copies did gears 4 even sell?

Both games for a new IP at release have sales pretty close. They are easily comparible

And Gears 1 released in 360's 1st year after release while HZD released in PS4's 3.5rd year after release, i won't say they're on the same trajectory, because well, HZD2 maybe not even a PS4(or PS4 only) game unless the sequel can release 2019 or before.

Halo Wars 2
Thimbleweed Park
Cities Skylines
Gigantic
Path of Exile
Crackdown 3
Cuphead
Lucy's Tale
PUBG

And I'm sure there are a few I'm leaving out. You may not like the games, but don't pretend they don't exist to make a point.
If the OP is talking about exclusives why did you bring these games up as a counterpoint.

I never know who makes a big deal out of this....but a part of me feels like it's never the base that should. In that case, I feel like we all have passes we choose to allow our platform holders to skirt by and this is one of them. Imo, it doesn't seem like a lot of Xbox fans make this a big deal and idk if that's motivation for Microsoft to put money behind it. They say they will though but a couple examples of that like Recore, didn't exactly come out the way that I would have liked it too. They also have the tendency to be holiday heavy which is very boring when we have an entire first half of the year that requires some sort of interaction.

Turning the clock on a new system doesnt make a good excuse for why they have nothing big in the pipeline either but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (again) that they have something worth offering. The Xbox one X is the last excuse they can use at this point, so if nothing comes out after all of this then.....at this point I'll stop caring. I have enough games to tide me over tenfold so I'm not in any rush but I would like to at least like to know what I can buy for my system that isn't the usual.

ViciousDS

Banned
Halo Wars 2
Thimbleweed Park
Cities Skylines
Gigantic
Path of Exile
Crackdown 3
Cuphead
Lucy's Tale
PUBG

And I'm sure there are a few I'm leaving out. You may not like the games, but don't pretend they don't exist to manufacture a point.

Thimbleweed and cities skyline are on PS4

Fredrik

Wait wat, you talking about AAA? why you use No Man's Sky, The Witness, Hellblade in your reply then?
I'm talking about great games in general, MS isn't even close to match Sony here, even now when they're beating Sony on power Sony just opens their wallet and lock up some games and still manage to make their console a wiser choice to invest in.

Sizzel

I am confused at this OP. It is pretty well known (I thought) that Microsoft, this gen at least, is the Forza/Halo/Gears box. The (no offense) "Bro" console. Not a stellar exclusives factory.

The main thing that set a console apart would be their exclusives..barring that, their relative spec. Microsoft objectively lost(so far) all fronts this gen. I purchased a day one XB1. I asked a lot of people who have XB1 why? and predominately their answer was a variation of "all my friends are from 360" or a version of "my friends have one and i like playing with my friends". There were also a decent amount of "Quantum Break looks cool" at the time. It was a form of brand loyalty due to ecosystem buy-in. Granted, not many of these people were gaming enthusiasts beyond really loving FPS. The multiplayer demo was the majority.

I bought one because, having not owned a 360, I figured it might be cool to play Microsoft exclusives. This was pre -launch. It turned out that I could play on my PC(which is better for me) so that is nullified. Obviously, UWP and Windows Store are not optimal, but more optimal than buying an underpowered(relative a pc) console to play exclusives. I realize this misses out on some gems, most notably Sunset Overdrive, but the point still stands. I would rather suffer through UWP etc to play something on my 1080ti than boot up my Xb1, To be fair, I would light my PS4 on fire if this was an option for it as well.

For Microsoft to gain console space dominance, which I am not entirely sure they are looking for, they need to spend. They need to invest heavily in third party acquisitions and first party IPs. A Sea of Thieves(looks like a yawn fest to me-happy to be wrong..but fits with the MP theme) won't do it. Conversely, they can just go the "more powerful" route and be the best place to play your Destiny's, CODS, etc.. The money is in the "normies", the people who favor multiplayer games. I wouldn't look for a stunning single player focused exclusive or a quirky niche anime game anytime soon from MS. I am glad for Cuphead though and I will day one it on PC barring reviews.

And Gears 1 released in 360's 1st year after release while HZD released in PS4's 3.5rd year after release, i won't say they're on the same trajectory, because well, HZD2 maybe not even a PS4(or PS4 only) game unless the sequel can release 2019 or before.
Okay, it sounds like you just have a more strict criteria for what counts and a huge new IP than most do.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nekketsu Kõha;245819702 said:
Want great quality gaming and exclusives then PC is it.

I don't understand why anyone still bother with Sony/MS/Nintendo. You can just hook up a PC to your TV with HDMI. It couldn't be more convenient these days to couch game with a computer.

Fixed.

You're really jumping through hoops to downplay HZD's huge success. If it sells more than 4.5 million copies (almost guaranteed) then it'll overtake Splatoon as the biggest new first-party IP this gen.

c0de

It's amazing that the 360 dominated last gen and this gen Microsoft are just utter, utter shite.

I mean Sony aren't doing great either but they look fantastic compared to MS by default.

Nintendo dominated last gen.

El-Suave

I think MS simply gave up competing with sony on the exclusives game and are huddling their efforts for later. i expect a completely different strategy, virtually no single player AAA, mostly all multiplayer, games-a-service type of stuff. which in theory isn't a terrible idea considering 3rd parties will reliably fill in the blanks for them

The problem is that the blanks are the AAA single player only exclusivex Sony makes. Service based games with varying degrees of multiplayer are what the other big publishers supply these days. You need exactly the stuff Sony greenlights to fill the gaps. MS needs to figure out they have to make "unattractive" games when it comes to the business model. They need to swallow that pill or they never get rid of the reputation of not really caring about all aspects of the medium. 3rd parties will make sure you need XBL gold, there's no need for the platform holder to do that like in the early days of the service.

U2NUMB

They killed projects that would have at least sprinkled games this year. When you do that you don't have other exclusive games hidden waiting to fill the gap.

They have to hope they can weather the gap until the next wave is ready and hope they also learn that investing in first part MUST happen.

Yeah it's a goddamn shame and I love Xbox. It's my console of choice easily but this is where it's seriously lacking and I would like to believe they are doing hard work to improve this but I'm not getting my hopes up.

How amazing would it be if MS was just as good with the exclusives as Sony? You'd have two companies providing awesome games of their own every year and it sure would make their E3 shows a lot better too. If things had went well(sales, so that's on the customers, no falling outs etc) we might have had Ryse 2, Sunset Overdrive 2 released or at least in development, Quantum Break 2 or actually Alan Wake 2 and so on. Sigh.

I never know who makes a big deal out of this....but a part of me feels like it's never the base that should. In that case, I feel like we all have passes we choose to allow our platform holders to skirt by and this is one of them. Imo, it doesn't seem like a lot of Xbox fans make this a big deal and idk if that's motivation for Microsoft to put money behind it. They say they will though but a couple examples of that like Recore, didn't exactly come out the way that I would have liked it too. They also have the tendency to be holiday heavy which is very boring when we have an entire first half of the year that requires some sort of interaction.

Turning the clock on a new system doesnt make a good excuse for why they have nothing big in the pipeline either but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (again) that they have something worth offering. The Xbox one X is the last excuse they can use at this point, so if nothing comes out after all of this then.....at this point I'll stop caring. I have enough games to tide me over tenfold so I'm not in any rush but I would like to at least like to know what I can buy for my system that isn't the usual.

Not even MS expect One X will become something big, why there are people in here treating One X is like a next gen console and need bunch of "launch games" for it?

You're really jumping through hoops to downplay HZD's huge success. If it sells more than 4.5 million copies (almost guaranteed) then it'll overtake Splatoon as the biggest new IP this gen.
What? how did i downplaying HZD?
If anything, i'm downplaying "normies", freaking hell 4.5 millions copies is already enough for biggest new IP in this gen? ugh no wonder this gen is full of sequel.

oti

Banned

what did I just read

leeh

This post is all sorts of wrong sorry.

Both consoles are doing well this generation.

Bgamer90

Banned
Ps4 had its best year by a landslide. It doesn't have a lot coming up for the winter quarter (as usual) but, it's still had the best year of the platform. Xb1 has had probably the worst year since it's launch.

I agree with this. 2017 for Xbox was very similar to 2014 for the PS4 and vice versa in my opinion.

Biggest challenge for Xbox this gen when it comes to exclusives is not having a new IP become a major seller like we saw with Halo during the original Xbox gen or Gears during the 360 gen. I'm not sure if anything releasing in 2018 will fit that but we'll see.

Overall -- I've been happy with the Xbox's library this gen due to me being a huge racing game fan (and the PS4's racing game output has been horrible in comparison to previous PlayStation consoles) but this year has definitely been far better for PlayStation in terms of exclusives.

Fredrik

Studio acquisition is always complex. That being said, in terms of the two studios you listed, it doesn't really matter in the short-term because they're still continuing to make games exclusively for Xbox first-party.
Yeah but for how long? Sony isn't against opening their wallet. Moon (thomasmahler) even said here on GAF that they don't know for sure which platforms they'll be on yet, they didn't talk about PS4 but it just got me thinking, MS is just plain stupid to not have payed a ton of cash to buy them, they're so so incredibly talented and it would be their biggest mistake to lose those guys. Same for Playground too, FH3 is by far the best racing game this generation.

- Titanfall
- Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
- Peggle 2
- Cuphead
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Dead Rising 4
- relatively large quantity of timed-exclusives, ranging from PUBG to Tacoma.

You were saying...?
Wasn't those locked up before Phil Spencer took over?
Phil Spencer is against buying exclusivity, which is noble I guess but you can't think like that when the one you're competing against don't think the same way.

xviper

nah, Halo wars 2 and Crackdown 3 are fine for the rest of the year, no need for new ip games, and make sure to release all xbox exclusive to PC to help boost Xbox one sales and popularity

also bring Halo 5\MCC to PC, that will be a good idea, and don't make anymore Forza Horizon games, we want yearly Forza motorsport games

Top Bottom