• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

I agree with this. 2017 for Xbox was very similar to 2014 for the PS4 and vice versa in my opinion.

Biggest challenge for Xbox this gen when it comes to exclusives is not having a new IP become a major seller like we saw with Halo during the original Xbox gen or Gears during the 360 gen. I'm not sure if anything releasing in 2018 will fit that but we'll see.

Overall -- I've been happy with the Xbox's library this gen due to me being a huge racing game fan (and the PS4's racing game output has been horrible in comparison to previous PlayStation consoles) but this year has definitely been far better for PlayStation in terms of exclusives.

Wait are people saying 2017 is over? A year when they release a new console. This could end up being their best year still.

Xbox One is great for racing games indeed.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nekketsu Kõha;245819970 said:
What Lol Nintendo games and exclusives are quality games that you can't get elsewhere.

What a bad post.

What exclusives? You can count them on one hand, with Splatoon 2 being the only one worth buying. Everything else is old indie/Neo Geo games or ports.

And you downplay Sony's exclusives like HZD and Yakuza? You spew nothing but fanboy drivel.

Because these games for PS4 mostly are not develop or even publish by Sony, you're asking MS throw money to make these games or well, moneyhatting Japanese publishers, and i'm pretty sure the result for both way would be people mocking or saying Xbox divison will close soon in MS financial threads, because i'm pretty sure these games won't even sold a break even sales in XB1.

Seriously, if you or anyone want to play these games, get a PS4(if don't own it yet) or built a gaming PC since some of these games also released for PC./QUOTE]

Love my PS4 and yes I know which games Sony develops/publishes. That's not the point. Sony doesn't money hat all these exclusives, not to mention that the Yakuza and Persona series have never been on an Xbox console.

The original Nier was, but not sure why the sequel was PS4 only for consoles. FFXV sold significantly less on the X1 than PS4 for a variety of reasons, so once again, you assumed I was implying something that I wasn't.

MS just needs more exclusives. They had more Japanese centric games in their OG Xbox days and the first part of the 360 due to them trying to break into Japan and obviously they came to the conclusion that will never happen. They also were great at getting some great tentpole games(Mass Effect, Bioshock were friggin huge). Dead Rising was a pretty big coo for them as well.

We'll see what happens in the coming years and if what Phil Spencer has been selling us the last year or so about his commitment to invest in titles for the Xbox brand.

It's kinda crazy that the X1 has sold as well as it has considering the rather anemic output of exclusives compared to what the Xbox and 360 had in their first years.

Bgamer90

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245820096 said:
Wait are people saying 2017 is over? A year when they release a new console. This could end up being their best year still.

I'm pumped for Cuphead but outside of that it's just Crackdown 3 which will more than likely be average and Forza 7 which I'm also pumped for (should be an amazing game) but Forza has been milked this gen; I'm not sure why people automatically group Forza in with Halo and Gears. Forza has had FAR more entries this gen. Halo and Gears have been pretty normal this gen.

ViciousDS

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245820096 said:

Forza Horizon is a bigger seller than Forza Motorsport...........horizon 3 had 2.5 million sold as of feb this year. While FM6 just sold over 1mil at the end of January at its respectable launch.

Motorpsort doesn't have the sales of Gran Turismo......and the shift to open world games has brought something like Horizon 3 (the best racer this generation) above it in sales.

I think people overplay the sales of Forza........

Yeah but for how long? Sony isn't against opening their wallet. Moon (thomasmahler) even said here on GAF that they don't know for sure which platforms they'll be on yet, they didn't talk about PS4 but it just got me thinking, MS is just plain stupid to not have payed a ton of cash to buy them, they're so so incredibly talented and it would be their biggest mistake to lose those guys. Same for Playground too, FH3 is by far the best racing game this generation.

Not sure why you sound like (if) Moon and Playground working with Sony with a game in future, it means MS "lose" them, they can always back to work with MS, or just work with both MS and Sony at the same time if they have enough resources.

Nekketsu Kõha;245819702 said:
Xbox one doesn't have enough exclusives and PS4 doesn't have ones that are any good?

Worst gens now and last.

Want great quality gaming and exclusives then PC and Nintendo Switch is it.

I don't understand why anyone still bother with Sony/MS. You can just hook up a PC to your TV with HDMI. It couldn't be more convenient these days to couch game with a computer.

The PS4 has a fuckton more well-reviewed exclusives come out this year than the Switch, so this is a confusing post.

Doc_Drop

Nekketsu Kõha;245819970 said:
What Lol Nintendo games and exclusives are quality games that you can't get elsewhere.

What a bad post.
You're the one claiming that Sony's exclusives aren't good. You may not like them but they are in fact good.

I feel like I have a unpopular opinion and would love if there was more games of course. Thing is I don't see MS wanting to risk losing money and if that's not what they want then so be it. I wouldn't cry over it cause I would just sell my xbox and get a PS4/PC and be done with it.

What exclusives? You can count them on one hand, with Splatoon 2 being the only one worth buying. Everything else is old indie/Neo Geo games or ports.

And you downplay Sony's exclusives like HZD and Yakuza? You spew nothing but fanboy drivel.

Yeah just gonna ignore you now. Shitposting is shitposting. Enjoy your 10 different 3rd person perspective action adventures.

It's kinda crazy that the X1 has sold as well as it has considering the rather anemic output of exclusives compared to what the Xbox and 360 had in their first years.

I think many people already pointed out the reason of Xbox still doing fine, you can check back other replies.
You, me, Neogaf is not "mainstream" customers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nekketsu Kõha;245820320 said:
Yeah just gonna ignore you now. Shitposting is shitposting. Enjoy your 10 different 3rd person perspective action adventures.

You mean the games people beg to come to Switch?

Enjoy waiting for yesteryear's games to finally arrive on your system.

Nekketsu Kõha;245820462 said:
Enjoy your 10 different 3rd person perspective action adventures.
Shitposting is shitposting.
qGwrdWK.gif

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's why I went PS4 as my exclusive box, Microsoft just have nothing I want to play, especially now that most of their games come to PC.

Goalus

Microsoft just clearly doesn't care about exclusives. Nadella was not exactly pro-Xbox before becoming CEO. And XBONE was already launched when he took the post, so he was kinda stuck anyways if he really wanted to get rid of it. So now he talks the PR talk (as does everyone else involved), but their actions are clear: They're moving away from a heavy investment in gaming.

The games they're still producing as a first party are all service-focused, and they're committed to bringing all games to Windows now (which is actually great for gamers, to not have to buy their box--so i'm not complaining), and that's their clear goal now. Get more people onto Windows 10. There's literally no reason to buy a XBOX if you have a competent Windows PC. And if you don't, that's why they're selling a box. But really, I feel like after this gen Microsoft is going to mostly be done with the gaming industry. Maybe still put out Halo and Forza, but that's about it.

Yes, I agree, especially with the bolded part.
They have just invested a significant amount of money and manpower to develop and produce brandnew hardware, which is a clear sign that they are planning to exit this business in the near future.

That's why I am pretty convinced that Sony won't stay in the console business for very long, either:

They have recently developed new hardware (PS4P and PSVR) and there are rumors that a PS5 is already in the works. The only sensible conclusion would be that Sony have lost interest in the console business and will retire by the end of next year.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
People have opinions you know. Only exclusive I wish I could play on Xbox is HZD, which I had a play of and I love.

Other than that, my main genre is racers so you have to go with Xbox.
No you have to go with PC if your that into racers

Doc_Drop

Nekketsu Kõha;245820666 said:
https://youtu.be/-sM9JUYKswg

How about this then?

Seriously. Most of their games are cinematic horrible messes you finish in a day.

I know I know shouldn't be so blunt and people will perceive at console wars or whatever but I genuinly don't get the praise those games get. It shouldn't be controversial to say.
I could be as blunt as you regarding Nintendo games and get trashed like you are for your opinions. But I don't because it's completely working from a bias and is inflammatory

Kill3r7

Actually, during the first 3 years of the 360 they had a great exclusive lineup that was diverse.

Don't know what changed to be honest. It's been steadily downhill since Peter Moore left.

Ditto but they had the major advantage of being the first next gen console on the market. Very strong sales in NA. Couple that with lower development costs and some big time PC developers moving primarily to consoles and there you have the strong early 360 lineup. Also, many of those exclusives overtime found their way on PS3.

MS was unlucky with their JRPG/Japanese investments not working out for them. It send the wrong message to management as well as Japanese developers. One could argue that the relatively poor sales of their third party exclusives this are also giving management cold feet. You can only get burned so many times before you decide to focus on your main IPs. Having said all that, they desperately need a big hit this gen.

le.phat

Nekketsu Kõha;245820462 said:

Nekketsu Kõha;245820666 said:
https://youtu.be/-sM9JUYKswg

How about this then?

Seriously. Most of their games are cinematic horrible messes you finish in a day.

I know I know shouldn't be so blunt and people will perceive at console wars or whatever but I genuinely don't get the praise those games get. It shouldn't be controversial to say.

Nobody is going to give a fuck about your opinions if all you're going to do is link to random video's as if that is a solid argument.
Your opinions are not controversial if you're not going to bother explaining them. They simply come off as petulant and not worth responding to. Can you try a little harder to offer something worth discussing?

I could be as blunt as you regarding Nintendo games and get trashed like you are for your opinions. But I don't because it's completely working from a bias and is inflammatory
It isn't bias.

Here

https://youtu.be/vG0zJ89Fv8c

More 3rd person perspective action adventure games by Sony.

All you are arguing is exclusives then it should be fair to talk about them. I mean there are tons of games that are exclusive, just being exclusive doesn't make something great or even a selling point.

If I am wrong then how come MS is still selling millions of systems. People also bring up MS games that also exist on PC saying that isn't an exclusive then as if PS4 doesn't have the same deal with games likes SFV.

Whatever I'm sure MS will do fine this year with and without exclusives in their lineup and with a new system they should be making a lot of money too.

Nekketsu Kõha;245820984 said:
It isn't bias.

Here

https://youtu.be/vG0zJ89Fv8c

More 3rd person perspective action adventure games by Sony.

All you are arguing is exclusives then it should be fair to talk about them. I mean there are tons of games that are exclusive, just being exclusive doesn't make something great or even a selling point.

If I am wrong then how come MS is still selling millions of systems. People also bring up MS games that also exist on PC saying that isn't an exclusive then as if PS4 doesn't have the same deal with games likes SFV.

Whatever I'm sure MS will do fine this year with and without exclusives in their lineup and with a new system they should be making a lot of money too.

What do you think you're proving here? That you can find 3rd person action adventure games by Sony?

Congrats I guess lol

Nobody is going to give a fuck about your opinions if all you're going to do is link to random video's as if that is a solid argument.
Your opinions are not controversial if you're not going to bother explaining them. They simply come off as petulant and not worth responding to. Can you try a little harder to offer something worth discussing?

It is a solid argument as it presents my opinion and experience with pretty much all of their games. They actually do a great job showing games and talking about them. They are from Redlettermedia if you never heard of them and they twitch stream as well.

ActWan

Zelda is on WiiU too :)
And yes, I agree about them needing more exclusives. It doesn't seem to be a part of their plan though...

What do you think you're proving here? That you can find 3rd person action adventure games by Sony?

Congrats I guess lol

That arguing exclusives is pointless if all you do is count nr of titles. Someone saying Nintendo has worse exclusives because PlayStation 4 has more right now lol

Microsoft maybe doesn't have as many but they are diverse and not everyone wants the same 3rd person perspective action game all the time.

We already have the assassins creeds watchdogs GTA shadow of mordor batman and what else.

So saying a PC is far better and Nintendo for exclusives you can't get or experience on anything else isn't exactly crazy talk. Me saying it doesn't invalidate your fun.

Saying MS failed and should exit the gaming industry because of Sony Exlusives is hysterical however.

Banned
I originally chose PS4 over Xbox because it was the more popular console and PS seemed like a stronger brand, this was before I even knew about exclusives. I can say that it really felt like being on PS helped me appreciate all different types of games from third person, rhythm, indie, side scroller, platformer, action games and jrpgs over the course of just half a generation and I don't think that would've happened to me if I was on Xbox. Now that I am knowledgeable about exclusives, the gap between Xbox and PS4 to me right now is so huge that I kinda feel a bit lucky for choosing PS.

Anyway I need to make a comment though about something I don't know why but I'm seeing lots of comments from everywhere saying ''third person' games action/adventure games or whatever you want to call them perhaps don't count as games or are not fun anymore and and I'm sorry but that sounds like such a big cop out and sounds very ridiculous to me. No idea why this seems to be a new trend or something, forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong here.

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245821322 said:
That arguing exclusives is pointless if all you do is count nr of titles. Someone saying Nintendo has worse exclusives because PlayStation 4 has more right now lol

Microsoft maybe doesn't have as many but they are diverse and not everyone wants the same 3rd person perspective action game all the time.

We already have the assassins creeds watchdogs GTA shadow of mordor batman and what else.

So saying a PC is far better and Nintendo for exclusives you can't get or experience on anything else isn't exactly crazy talk. Me saying it doesn't invalidate your fun.

Saying MS failed and should exit the gaming industry because of Sony Exlusives is hysterical however.

All those games are different with different though gwith different worlds, story and gameplay, its a really wide genre of games is that not? Just seems a bit silly to me and a bit of a blanket statement

Nekketsu Kõha;245821322 said:

Nintendo most certainly do, I mean following your logic we don't need Zelda BOTW right? It's a 3rd person action adventure game after all. Splatoon as well since its a 3rd person shooter.

Sony also have way more diverse games then Microsoft. From genre to business model to art style to length etc... They're not even comparable.

Doc_Drop

Anyway I need to make a comment though about something I don't know why but I'm seeing lots of comments from everywhere saying ''third person' games action/adventure games or whatever you want to call them perhaps don't count as games or are not fun anymore and and I'm sorry but that sounds like such a big cop out and sounds very ridiculous to me. No idea why this seems to be a new trend or something, forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong here.
I think some people just don't like it when their preferred style of game isn't in the current trend.

I think anyone looking around and not seeing the massive variety and quality of games right now are a little crazy.

I originally chose PS4 over Xbox because it was the more popular console and PS seemed like a stronger brand, this was before I even knew about exclusives. I can say that it really felt like being on PS helped me appreciate all different types of games from third person, rhythm, indie, side scroller, platformer, action games and jrpgs over the course of just half a generation and I don't think that would've happened to me if I was on Xbox. Now that I am knowledgeable about exclusives, the gap between Xbox and PS4 to me right now is so huge that I kinda feel a bit lucky for choosing PS.

Of course they count as games it is just a lot of us are sick and tired of what we perceive as lazy gameplay design and games that all play the same way. Same camera perspective, same movements, same shooting and fighting etc. Many of them are essentially same for every beat in structure game progression and even same mechanics for all elements in their respective worlds. They are also short, easy and focus more on the cinematics of it.

If that is something you love then enjoy it, literally your golden age of gaming with all those titles and the 3rd party ones too.

I think some people just don't like it when their preferred style of game isn't in the current trend.

I think anyone looking around and not seeing the massive variety and quality of games right now are a little crazy.
I do as does most I'm sure, on PC and or Nintendo Switch.

Rellik

Forza Horizon is a bigger seller than Forza Motorsport...........horizon 3 had 2.5 million sold as of feb this year. While FM6 just sold over 1mil at the end of January at its respectable launch.

Motorpsort doesn't have the sales of Gran Turismo......and the shift to open world games has brought something like Horizon 3 (the best racer this generation) above it in sales.

I think people overplay the sales of Forza........

It's also no longer an exclusive.

sora87

It's pretty crazy MS haven't given me a reason to turn on my XB1 since Rare Replay, and even before that it was collecting dust for months.

Doc_Drop

Nekketsu Kõha;245821868 said:
If that is something you love then enjoy it, literally your golden age of gaming with all those titles and the 3rd party ones too.
What exactly is it you feel is missing then, in terms of type and style?

Vinc

Even more important is that they need to up the quality of what they ARE putting out. They haven't had a single 90+ game this gen on metacritic, except for Forza Horizon 3 which was indeed fantastic. I'm a Halo fan, and I enjoy Gears, but they've both gotten so stale to me that I only enjoy them as much as your typical yearly release shooter. They no longer feel special in any way, for me. Ori has been great! ID@Xbox holds the only upcoming exclusives I'm truly looking forward to on the system... but other than that, things are looking pretty dire for me personally. They need to turn that around and put out really high quality games that people want to play. This is doubly important if they want to go the route of service games, as that's a really crowded market right now. It'll be hard to stand out, so everything they put out will need to be REALLY great.

It's pretty crazy MS haven't given me a reason to turn on my XB1 since Rare Replay, and even before that it was collecting dust for months.

I think you should sell it before it loses all value when the 1X comes out, thats a ridiculous amount of time to have any bit of tech go unused.

Fantasy??
Phil goes to Japan and says "games are coming" every year. Yet those games never show up. Where is the Japanese support he keeps promising? It's blatant lies from people like Spencer that people need to stop believing. He is akin to a politician that promises, serves his term and never delivers. No one is making things up in their head, it's only Phil Spencer that makes things up in interviews or on twitter and then conveniently forgets about them.
It's not much but he is getting some of the multi platform releases:
Monster Hunter World
Dynasty Warriors 9
Ace Combat 7
Etc.
It's still terrible but at least he got some major Japanese games on the system.

What exactly is it you feel is missing then, in terms of type and style?
No I'm not missing anything because I have a PC and Nintendo Switch, Also mobile gaming.

I do think people are missing out on great games not having either but Xbox isn't exactly lacking games to play neither is PlayStation. They both have plenty of 3rd person perspective action adventure titles, in abundance in fact.

They also have games in most genres. If a person however feel it is lacking then they should look at PC and Nintendo.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Well, Besides Cuphead, Forza Motorsports 7, Halo Wars 2, and Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, as well as some indies(I think), allegedly there are more exclusives in the works so far off that MS folk don't want to discuss them yet, but did want us to know they are working on things.

Next years e3 when Microsoft has a bunch of exclusives that nobody saw coming and will actually launch next year it's going to be hilarious seeing all of the "where did these games come from??" posts. I give Phil Spencer credit because Iam sure he knew he was going to get roasted for the lack of new exclusives shown at e3, but wanted to stand his ground on not showing games off till they are ready. That's my belief and if they don't absolutely stun the crowd at e3 next year they are toast

Top Bottom