• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

dracula_x

I always love seeing these unicorn people who buy a system for Everybody's Golf and Yakuza Kiwami...

software sells hardware

Plenty of great stuff on PS4 to buy the system for, but to go over the moon for some of these minor games..... Jesus. Hell, you could have played powerstar golf on the XB1 4 years ago if you needed cartoony golf that bad.

DMLXdld.png

are you sure? :)

Luckydog

I would beg to differ. New games FROM SCRATCH, that are "AAA" do...and SHOULD take longer than 3 years.

Even "IF" someone agreed with this, they should be on the back end of development of new IP to release as next year would be year 4. They have nothing to show, and have shown nothing.

I wish they would. As someone who love Halo and Forza, I would love to see more. Exclusives do not bother me much as I stupidly buy all systems, but I prefer the Xbox controller and console gaming in general and it would be nice to see them output some more. They just arent.

otakukidd

Nekketsu Kõha;245823454 said:
No I don't understand it. Because if I was huge into 3rd person perspective action games or Japanese titles I would still pick a PC everytime because it has more of those games, better ones that also plays superior on a technical level.

Also if I wanted to play golf games there are tons of great ones on PC, mobile even Switch has one.

Hahahahahaha

No.

Just no.

At the very least when talking about Japanese games, PC still just gets scraps. Thats not a knock against PC. It's just that they are finally coming around to it.

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245821868 said:
Of course they count as games it is just a lot of us are sick and tired of what we perceive as lazy gameplay design and games that all play the same way. Same camera perspective, same movements, same shooting and fighting etc. Many of them are essentially same for every beat in structure game progression and even same mechanics for all elements in their respective worlds. They are also short, easy and focus more on the cinematics of it.

If that is something you love then enjoy it, literally your golden age of gaming with all those titles and the 3rd party ones too.

I do as does most I'm sure, on PC and or Nintendo Switch.

Well alot of them third person games I felt were quite good but I think there's been quite a few unique games Ive enjoyed too that are different genres

Hedon

Banned
Even "IF" someone agreed with this.

Pretty sure you would hard pressed to find anyone else that thinks new AAA IP's from the ground up should be released in 3 years time. I sure as hell don't want it, as that sounds like it would be a buggy mess.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It's been a tough year for sure. I do think next year will be significantly better.

And, if you are going to talk about missing exclusives, I think the most important one (in North America at least) that MS is missing is a AAA licensed baseball game. All the talk of Japanese exclusives, and every person I know who has chosen PS4 over Xbox is because of MLB the Show.

Who will make this AAA baseball game for MS?
They seem very averse to making studios from the ground up.

Next years e3 when Microsoft has a bunch of exclusives that nobody saw coming and will actually launch next year it's going to be hilarious seeing all of the "where did these games come from??" posts. I give Phil Spencer credit because Iam sure he knew he was going to get roasted for the lack of new exclusives shown at e3, but wanted to stand his ground on not showing games off till they are ready. That's my belief and if they don't absolutely stun the crowd at e3 next year they are toast

Honestly wouldn't shock me if they just coasted on 3rd party games to carry them through E3 and market the shiny 4k aspect of everything on stage.

If MS had a Cyberpunk 2077 world reveal they'd be happy enough to grab that and call it a day along with Halo 6 and Forza Horizon 4.

Boke1879

I always love seeing these unicorn people who buy a system for Everybody's Golf and Yakuza Kiwami...

Plenty of great stuff on PS4 to buy the system for, but to go over the moon for some of these minor games..... Jesus. Hell, you could have played powerstar golf on the XB1 4 years ago if you needed cartoony golf that bad.

No one is saying that. Of course people buy consoles for the big AAA hyped up 1st and 3rd party games.

But games like Yakuza, etc. Keep the PS4 full of content. I mean look at Crash. I would not be shocked if there were some people out there that bought a PS4 simply to play that game.

My Xbox has been off all year I think. Other than maybe watching a Blu ray there has been no game that makes me turn on the consoles.

On the other hand, PS4 has been great Horizon and Persona was great as well as Nioh and Crash and others.

Switch has also been on point for release in its first year. Zelda, Arms, Splatoon.

Xbox offerings are not even that great and what remains for the year: Cuphead and Crackdown look great and Forza will be a looker for the XOX, but what else is there.
It feels like the best efforts they are putting out are not even close to being really great.

Sea of Thieves, unless for some miracle, seems to be a bust. Great idea, but one that may not succeed in actual execution.

I really want the XOX. It looks like a beast and I will at least switch the multiplat gaming to it, but MS needs a stronger presence in gaming.

The release droughts are a problem for enthusiasts, but I'm not sure Microsoft is too concerned as long as the broader market manages to keep the console afloat with their two to three purchases a year.

Akai__

As a Xbox One owner I am not convinced on the holiday AAA exclusives too this year.

But that doesn't mean I don't have any exclusives to play.

Same here. For this year, I'm personally settled with the Xbox One X, a couple MS exclusives + a couple big 3rd party titles.

That should not be an excuse, though. When it comes to 1st party support, it looks kinda disappointing. Like others have said, I think that it is a mistake to have studios just to make Halo, just to make Gears and just to make Forza. As much as I hate these "Halo, Gears, Forza" shitposts, it's still kinda true when it comes to 1st party AAA games. They have the manpower and the creativity to come up with something new and they should do it. Not saying that they don't have anything on the horizon, who knows, but they should show people that they have something.

Such a shame that Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive were both not a bigger success. For me, they are both good games and sequelsl could further improve those games. But somehow, I think that MS' philosophy is "one and done" here.

I'm curious as to what the 2018 line-up will look like, other than the usual suspects. It's part of the fun waiting for new games, even if waiting feels like forever after each E3.

I kind of agree. I don't play as much as I'd like to justify three systems, so I packed up my PS4 pro and put it on Craigslist (hasn't sold yet) I figured I'd keep my Xbox one as my son owns one already.

That said, I kind of realized that I'm going to be missing out on more than a few exclusives because of it. I'm on twitter and one of the mods here was going on about yakuza and I realized I've yet to play that and can't if I sell. Same with shenmue, ni no kuni, and spider-man. The list gets bigger daily and it kind of sucks. The original Xbox had such varied experiences, introduced me to morrowind on console, gave me shenmue, etc.

Give em a break, they just spent all their money getting Spotify on their console this week.

(seriously tho I'm so happy we have Spotify on Xbox now)

Doc_Drop

Hellblade is coming to Xbox (it was first to PS4), Zero Dawn is DLC, Crash is multiplat and Persona 5 is mulitiplat.

I bought Nier for my PS Pro, though that is also multiplat.

For Xbox this fall (I already got Phantom Dust, Halo Wars 2, Voo Doo Vince this year) I am getting Tacoma, Cuphead, Forza Motorsport 7, Crackdown 3, Path of Exile, Super Lucky's Tale as well as AC Origins, COD WWII, ProjectCars 2, Destiny 2 and of course the Xbox One X.

This fall on my PS Pro? I might get Gran Turismo Sport. That's it. That is pretty sad.
Isn't most of that list on PC?

Hedon

Banned
My Xbox has been off all year I think. Other than maybe watching a Blu ray there has been no game that makes me turn on the consoles.

On the other hand, PS4 has been great Horizon and Persona was great as well as Nioh and Crash and others.

Switch has also been on point for release in its first year. Zelda, Arms, Splatoon.

Xbox offerings are not even that great and what remains for the year: Cuphead and Crackdown look great and Forza will be a looker for the XOX, but what else is there.
It feels like the best efforts they are putting out are not even close to being really great.

Sea of Thieves, unless for some miracle, seems to be a bust. Great idea, but one that may not succeed in actual execution.

I really want the XOX. It looks like a beast and I will at least switch the multiplat gaming to it, but MS needs a stronger presence in gaming.

Sadly, besides some DLC for existing games and a GT Prologue, the PS4 line up this fall is pretty bleak compared to the Xbox line up. One game only is planned to hit my PS Pro now through December (GT Sport), and I have 5 exclusives and 5 mp games as well as an X1X in my Xbox line up now through December.

Spring on my PS Pro was good, getting Nier and HZD and finishing up The Last Guardian. But now it will be pretty much dormant.

Not even MS expect One X will become something big, why there are people in here treating One X is like a next gen console and need bunch of "launch games" for it?

I'm not saying I'm treating it that way, but I do feel like MS held back because of hardware and now having the system to really showcase the stuff they've been wanting to for a while. It might be a delusional thought but out of everyone, they have the most to prove with this revamp. So what better way to this with a new system. Of course these same games will work on the OG Xbox but I have this feeling that they held back a lot because they needed the power.

ch4fx_

They have the most powerful console on the planet coming out, what more do they need?

EDIT - I also foresee the strongest lineup in Xbox history to be released this fall.

I kind of agree. I don't play as much as I'd like to justify three systems, so I packed up my PS4 pro and put it on Craigslist (hasn't sold yet) I figured I'd keep my Xbox one as my son owns one already.

That said, I kind of realized that I'm going to be missing out on more than a few exclusives because of it. I'm on twitter and one of the mods here was going on about yakuza and I realized I've yet to play that and can't if I sell. Same with shenmue, ni no kuni, and spider-man. The list gets bigger daily and it kind of sucks. The original Xbox had such varied experiences, introduced me to morrowind on console, gave me shenmue, etc.

The original Xbox was amazing with its library even in its first months until the very end.

PC will give you most of those titles however and countless more with the best BC there is. If you have yet to do so you should at least look into a gaming PC. They work extremely well and easy just as simply as a console these days when playing on a TV. Not that expensive these days either.

Nekketsu Kõha;245823282 said:
To me it isn't really lacking vs PlayStation. Just different titles and genres.

No I think I was paying attention, nothing unique or something I would consider to be better than what I play on a PC, Switch or mobile. But if you do then that's great.

I simply adore the fact that you throw PC and mobile into the mix just to hide how limited the Switch's library really is at this point in its lifecycle.

Because in the Switch vs. PS4 exclusive games "contest", the Switch is obliterated right now, even if you choose to throw out all 3rd person adventure games.

If you throw PC + Mobile into the mix, you can say this about any platform.

"better than what I play on a PC, Virtual Boy, or Mobile" is just as true as your version.

FN-2187

OléGunner;245824860 said:
Who will make this AAA baseball game for MS?
They seem very averse to making studios from the ground up.

Get in a time machine and save Access Software. Also get them to make a new Links and Top Spin while they are at it.

64bitbros

Sadly, besides some DLC for existing games and a GT Prologue, the PS4 line up this fall is pretty bleak compared to the Xbox line up. One game only is planned to hit my PS Pro now through December (GT Sport), and I have 5 exclusives and 5 mp games as well as an X1X in my Xbox line up now through December.

Spring on my PS Pro was good, getting Nier and HZD and finishing up The Last Guardian. But now it will be pretty much dormant.

You are trying too hard.

Boke1879

I'm not saying I'm treating it that way, but I do feel like MS held back because of hardware and now having the system to really showcase the stuff they've been wanting to for a while. It might be a delusional thought but out of everyone, they have the most to prove with this revamp. So what better way to this with a new system. Of course these same games will work on the OG Xbox but I have this feeling that they held back a lot because they needed the power.

I don't think this at all. Simply because they are in no position to hold anything back. We know what their first party output will generally look like.

The One X is and Xbox One. Just a bit more powerful. That's it. Games will look better but not a next gen leap.

Like someone said. MS I think is content with turning Xbox into a service. The hardware int he US isn't moving as much as the competition, but Live transactions and stuff are up. So that's good.

I just don't think you'll see a big investment in new IP from them. Maybe smaller titles but when they cancelled Scalebound that told me everything.

In what world has Phil ever delivered on this dream? The X1S and X1X look like great pieces of hardware, but Phil has had enough time on software and just hasnt come through.

It seems obvious to me that next years E3 is going to be huge for Xbox first party but I get it. Guess we will find out next year if Xbox really is in trouble.

I simply adore the fact that you throw PC and mobile into the mix just to hide how limited the Switch's library really is at this point in its lifecycle.

Because in the Switch vs. PS4 exclusive games "contest", the Switch is obliterated right now, even if you choose to throw out all 3rd person adventure games.

If you throw PC + Mobile into the mix, you can say this about any platform.

"better than what I play on a PC, Virtual Boy, or Mobile" is just as true as your version.

I'm first a PC gamer, played PC games since the 386. The Nintendo Switch is literally the only thing besides mobile gaming that offers me something great and truly exclusive.

The only one running a contest here is you lol I couldn't care less about your "war"

le.phat

Nekketsu Kõha;245823454 said:
No I don't understand it. Because if I was huge into 3rd person perspective action games or Japanese titles I would still pick a PC everytime because it has more of those games, better ones that also plays superior on a technical level.

Also if I wanted to play golf games there are tons of great ones on PC, mobile even Switch has one.

If you're big on Japanese titles, you'd want a PS4 because it has some of the best japanese RPG's this generation. Bloodborne, Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, Atelier series, DQ 11 and so much more. You are really not making a lot of sense, out side of the bias part that is.

That's not really true though.

PS4 still has:

• Knack 2
  • Destiny 2( has exclusive content)
  • Uncharted: the Lost Legacy
  • Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds
  • GT Sport
  • All multiplatform games

Xbox has:

• Cuphead
  • Forza 7
  • Crackdown 3
  • All multiplatform games

What else is there? Xbox fall is as weak/good as the PS4.

I mean the list seems pretty much on par, but PS4 has already had an amazing year of games while Xbox has been crap.

What am I missing here that will make my purchase of the XOX amazing? Both Sony and Nintendo had games that will be remembered as some of the best ever made in Horizon and BOTW, what has MS done for Xbox this year?

They need more exclusives, definitely but the list comparison to Sony is not necessarily fair.

Some title are Japanese and are exclusive because Japanese audience doesn't buy other console. Probably with the switch gaining momentum in Asia, there is going to be less of that kind of PS4 exclusives.
Other games like Hellblade are PS4 first either because of a times exclusivity or PS4 first due to the largest user base, which was the same that happened last gen.

MS is still doing a terrible work in their game publishing efforts. I was expecting that, even before last year's anemic E3 lineup, they to recognize the problem with their game publishing business and by now to have several projects in the work but the only thing we know so far is Gobo's game. So, yes, they dropped the ball very very hard and any game they started, let's say after the fence broke with scalebound, is going to be ready to show at least for next E3 and by know we should be already hearing the rumors.

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245825636 said:
The Nintendo Switch is literally the only thing besides mobile gaming that offers me something great and truly exclusive.

The wii U which I own currently has a bigger selection of Nintendo games to play than the Switch though and I own the Switch too. Right now the PS4 has many exclusive games and its a good companion to a Switch or wii U. I recently added PC to my Nintendo/PS4 combo and its one of the best things I ever did too. 3DS is a great handheld with lots of games if you want to try that over mobile games fyi.

Top Bottom