• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

pastrami

Nekketsu Kõha;245825636 said:
I'm first a PC gamer, played PC games since the 386. The Nintendo Switch is literally the only thing besides mobile gaming that offers me something great and truly exclusive.

The only one running a contest here is you lol I couldn't care less about your "war"

"I'm not interested in the console wars," said the console warrior who insinuated in a Metroid thread that anyone complaining about Fusion Mode being locked behind Amiibos never intended to buy the game and was just waiting for Knack 2.

Hedon

Banned
That's not really true though.

PS4 still has:

• Knack 2
  • Destiny 2( has exclusive content)
  • Uncharted: the Lost Legacy
  • Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds
  • GT Sport
  • All multiplatform games (best graphics and performance)

Xbox has:

• Cuphead
  • Forza 7
  • Crackdown 3
  • All multiplatform games

What else is there? Xbox fall is as weak/good as the PS4.

I mean the list seems pretty much on par, but PS4 has already had an amazing year of games while Xbox has been crap.

What am I missing here that will make my purchase of the XOX amazing? Both Sony and Nintendo had games that will be remembered as some of the best ever made in Horizon and BOTW, what has MS done for Xbox this year?

But it is true though.

• Knack 2
  • GT Sport

Xbox has:

• Cuphead
  • Forza 7
  • Crackdown 3
  • Tacoma
  • Super Lucky's Tale
  • Destiny 2 (best performance and same content as PS version)

Removed DLC. Unless we can add Halo Wars 2 DLC?

Nothing that Sony has for this fall makes my PS Pro look like it will get turned on for very long other than GT Sport. Not amazing at all. While the Xbox and Switch have a solid line up.

As usual, Sony drops the ball for their fall/holiday line up. But we are used to it.

Papacheeks

Banned
The PC/XB/Switch combo means you miss out on nothing this gen.

Your omitting alot of games. Yakuza Kiwami is out this month(exclusive), so is Uncharted Lost Chapter, Followed by GT in October, Followed by Horizon DLC, Knack 2, then Ni Nu kuni 2 in January which is a huge game. Which will be followed by God of war in March-April, Spiderman closer to summer, I'm totally missing other games that will be out next year like Kingdom hearts 3, Yakuza 6, among others.

Since buying the one s last year, the only game I've spent significant time with has been Quantum Break (great game). For the past 10 months or so I only turn it on to check for any good deals on the few Xbox games I can't get on PS4. In fact, the console got put in a box for a long time and only got hooked up again once I moved into my (more spacious) new flat.
My least used console ever. I would like to think that will change in the near future but looking at the one's sparse future exclusive lineup (some exciting games sure, but too many multiplayer centered titles that I most likely won't touch)...have my doubts about that.

Doc_Drop

Nekketsu Kõha;245825772 said:
If he has an Xbox why would he buy the same game on PlayStation especially when talking about the Xbox One X that will be more powerful.
Then why not get them on PC?

Rellik

This is a weird thing to say. Pretty much all Xbox games are on the PC making it have nearly no exclusives where as the PS4 has real exclusives.

If you want to play everything they you need PC/PS4/Switch.

Nekketsu Kõha;245821868 said:
Of course they count as games it is just a lot of us are sick and tired of what we perceive as lazy gameplay design and games that all play the same way. Same camera perspective, same movements, same shooting and fighting etc. Many of them are essentially same for every beat in structure game progression and even same mechanics for all elements in their respective worlds. They are also short, easy and focus more on the cinematics of it.

So third person games from the same publisher are inherently "lazy"? Are you seriously suggesting that the likes of Gravity Rush 2, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Uncharted 4, God of War III R, Ratchet & Clank Bound, Horizon Zero Dawn and Sly Cooper all have the "same movements, same shooting and fighting etc". This is just as nonsensical as saying all FPSs play the same including Mirror's Edge, Dishonored, Rainbow Six Siege, Halo 5, Call of Duty and Strafe. Just because they share a camera perspective does not make them have the same mechanics and same structure, and as someone who has played all of these games if you're seriously suggesting this you're full of shit and haven't played any of them.

Next years e3 when Microsoft has a bunch of exclusives that nobody saw coming and will actually launch next year it's going to be hilarious seeing all of the "where did these games come from??" posts. I give Phil Spencer credit because Iam sure he knew he was going to get roasted for the lack of new exclusives shown at e3, but wanted to stand his ground on not showing games off till they are ready. That's my belief and if they don't absolutely stun the crowd at e3 next year they are toast

Sure thing buddy. Let's revisit this in ten months. Most of the significant things from Spencer's tenure so far has been cancelling games and shutting down studios. Even the line-up for their newest console is utterly half-hearted.

Nekketsu Kõha;245823812 said:
You prefer the PlayStation controller? You can use it for PC you know. I guess if you really have to have the PlayStation logo play and the voice you can play a YouTube clip of it everytime you boot your computer. There is also better than PSN subscription models if you think you will miss a monthly game but then Xbox Live also has that. You also have better deals on PC. Not sure what exactly it is people prefer hence I don't understand it.

And I already said what I think of the games.

Maybe they prefer consoles for the first-party exclusives - you know; the exact reason this topic was created?!

The wii U which I own currently has a bigger selection of Nintendo games to play than the Switch though and I own the Switch too. Right now the PS4 has many exclusive games and its a good companion to a Switch or wii U. I recently added PC to my Nintendo/PS4 combo and its one of the best things I ever did too. 3DS is a great handheld with lots of games if you want to try that over mobile games fyi.

Yep for sure but since we are talking about the holiday season and entire 2017 I also consider all Switch releases for the entire year and it is honestly one if not the most impressive titles for a year on any console.

Bottom line is PC gets you pretty much everything there is and was. It is also only going to get even more and with the ease of hooking up a PC to the TV these days and do couch gaming just as if you were playing a console to me pretty much eliminates MS and Sony and any incentive to buy their consoles anymore. It simply doesn't make that much sense.

Nintendo Switch however offers truly great and innovative, unique games and experiences on the go as well. Making it a very attractive system. Now all that considered with smartphone gaming (who doesn't own one at this point,) I think if someone is happy with an Xbox or PlayStation I don't see why they would buy the other one. I also find it very amusing when people do list wars vs PC like some have tried to do here.

The whole "Microsoft has way more money than Sony and Nintendo so they should be making more games" is such a lazy and poor view of what Microsoft actually is as a company

Hedon

Banned
This is a weird thing to say. Pretty much all Xbox games are on the PC making it have nearly no exclusives where as the PS4 has real exclusives.

But we know that is not true, because not all Xbox games are on PC, and not all Xbox games will be on PC. So that debunked your claim.

So THAT is a weird thing to say.

RedFury

That's what I own throw in an X1S that never gets used too for that very reason stated. Jesus these guys are Cray Cray, say they don't console war but bleed so much green it's obvious.

Nothing wrong with saying you like one platform more than the other but damn don't go and say one platform isn't even worth having because no games. Then root for the team that literally will have all it games on PC in the future, ergo making it "pointless" if you own a good PC like I do.

Lol if anything good came out of this thread it's that it made it easy to pinpoint the two posters that port beg in every thread for the switch.

Ponn

Banned

That's a bullshit statement. I play mostly JRPGs and RPGS and don't play FPS or sports games. Tell me again I'm not missing anything by owning a X1 over PS4.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
There's definitely a Fable shaped hole in the list of Xbox One exclusives. I dare to dream that smarter people than me have also noticed this and are working behind the scenes on a refresh/reboot of the series, or a replacement in the form of a new ip.

Outside of that, I think the exclusives we already have are a pretty good bunch. To list a few; Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Halo Wars 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Quantum Break, ReCore, Sunset Overdrive, Superhot... Then we have Crackdown 3 and Cuphead coming at the end of this year, and next year that we know of includes Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Sea of Thieves and Super Lucky's Tale.

The library is growing at a respectable rate, a couple of those games that I mentioned are arguably contenders for game of the generation (Forza Horizon 3, Sunset Overdrive) and we've been told there are new titles that will be announced closer to release.

Seems ok to me, but I have no investment or interest in console wars and I don't demand new hotness yesterday, today and tomorrow.

I'm starting to think maybe Reggie was right a couple of years ago, when he said that a lot of gamers are simply never satisfied.

Moze

Banned

This comment is nuts. Do you mean PC/PS4/Switch? Because there is no point in having an XB1 if you own a PC. Exactly what games come out on XB1 that do not come out on PC?

Blam

Actually, during the first 3 years of the 360 they had a great exclusive lineup that was diverse.

Don't know what changed to be honest. It's been steadily downhill since Peter Moore left.

Because as he knew what to invest on, and generally from what I have heard of him talk about Xbox. They were spending much more back then.

Papacheeks

Banned
But we know that is not true, because not all Xbox games are on PC, and not all Xbox games will be on PC. So that debunked your claim.

Yea, HALO and Sunset are really the big two that are not on pc but everything else they have put out and will be put out will be on PC.

Halo wars 1+2, Quantumn break, forza, killler instinct, ori, gears 4, recore,ryse, dead rising 3+4, sea of thieves, crackdown 3 all on PC.

And who is to say Halo 6 isn't coming to PC, which I think it will to be honest.

Because as he knew what to invest on, and generally from what I have heard of him talk about Xbox. They were spending much more back then.

They were spending more back then also because they were growing more, and selling more consoles during xb360 compared to original xb. Once they were outpacing PS3 for a while they dialed it down and went to DLC for exclusives like gta, and COD to attrack new players. Which is why they are in a shit position now. They didn't build a good foundation of studios and relationships with developers for exclusive third/second party games. They were one and done contracts, like what xbox one has now with games like sunset overdrive.

And leaving PS4 off the list means you miss literally dozens of exclusives that can't be played on another platform.

It's clear you have a hate boner for the PS4, but there's no need to lie in order to make the platform seem worse than it is. You can also count on one hand the number of genuine Xbox One exclusives if we're including PC in the loop. I can think of Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Halo 5 and maybe a very small number of others that are bona-fide exclusives to the platform.

This comment is nuts. Do you mean PC/PS4/Switch? Because there is no point in having an XB1 if you own a PC. Exactly what games come out on XB1 that do not come out on PC?
Well I've been told that PC gamers won't go near the Windows Store since it's so horrible, so which is it? Do PC Players actually play their games there or nah?

It's not much but he is getting some of the multi platform releases:
Monster Hunter World
Dynasty Warriors 9
Ace Combat 7
Etc.
It's still terrible but at least he got some major Japanese games on the system.

Yeah, Monster Hunter actually coming to Xbox is a huge surprise and Code Vein as well. Wouldn't surprise me if those are the results of the Japan visit. But what about Dragon Quest, Nier, Ni No Kuni 2,Nioh and even Yakuza? Maybe Phil did ask for these but the publisher just doesn't see the point of it when it (sadly) won't sell too great on Xbox.

sora87

The PC/PS4/Switch combo means you miss out on nothing this gen.

giphy.gif

Kill3r7

Yeah, Monster Hunter actually coming to Xbox is a huge surprise and Code Vein as well. Wouldn't surprise me if those are the results of the Japan visit. But what about Dragon Quest, Nier, Ni No Kuni 2,Nioh and even Yakuza? Maybe Phil did ask for these but the publisher just doesn't see the point of it when it (sadly) won't sell too great on Xbox.

Yakuza barely sells on PS4 as is. Not sure the market is there on X1.

Raw64life

Looks like this is another thread where some people buy into what MS wants you to think the word exclusive means. Going forward I can play all their games without owning an Xbox. They're currently not interested in making or securing any Xbox exclusives at all.

Guymelef

Well I've been told that PC gamers won't go near the Windows Store since it's so horrible, so which is it? Do PC Players actually play their games there or nah?

Well , that's Microsoft problem then, a PC gamer isn't going to buy a Xbox just to avoid Windows Store.
At the end of the day they don't sell neither the console nor the game...

But it is true though.

• Knack 2
  • GT Sport

Xbox has:

• Cuphead
  • Forza 7
  • Crackdown 3
  • Tacoma
  • Super Lucky's Tale
  • Destiny 2 (best performance and same content as PS version)

Removed DLC. Unless we can add Halo Wars 2 DLC?

Nothing that Sony has for this fall makes my PS Pro look like it will get turned on for very long other than GT Sport. Not amazing at all. While the Xbox and Switch have a solid line up.

As usual, Sony drops the ball for their fall/holiday line up. But we are used to it.

The Uncharted game is not DLC. It is a stand alone game as long as the original Uncharted, but fair even removing the DLC do you think Tacoma and Super Lucky's Tale push Xbox over? Those two game don't like anything special and might be shorter than those DLCs you removed.

And what do you mean about Destiny 2? Bungie already said there is no special performance improvements for the XOX and Sony has an exclusivity deal for more content inlcuding Strikes, so PS4 is the place to go.

How can you say nothing Sony has will make you turn it on when MS has games that are almost of the same quality if not worse? How can you say they dropped the ball when MS is the one with the new console and only Forza and Crackdown to show for it.

That in a year where Sony has already released some of the best games of the gen and MS has done nothing of real note.

Be realistic.

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245826636 said:
Yep for sure but since we are talking about the holiday season and entire 2017 I also consider all Switch releases for the entire year and it is honestly one if not the most impressive titles for a year on any system.

Bottom line is PC gets you pretty much everything there is and was. It is also only going to get even more and with the ease of hooking up a PC these days and do couch gaming just as if you were playing a console to me pretty much eliminates MS and Sony and any incentive to buy their consoles anymore. It simply doesn't make that much sense.

Nintendo Switch however offers truly great and innovative, unique games and experiences on the go as well. Making it a very attractive system. Now all that considered with smartphone gaming (who doesn't own one at this point,) I think if someone is happy with an Xbox or PlayStation I don't see why they would buy the other one. I also find it very amusing when people do list wars vs PC like some have tried to do here.

I actually tried to make my PC like my PS4 last night but my hdmi cord was not long enough and I will need to get a wireless dongle too haha but still, I think the Switch can match PS4 later on if it can get more wii U games on there with extra content like they did with MK8 so in the end you may not need to get a wii U to play its games, just wait for now. My PC is mainly used for school and tutoring so it doesnt have expensive hardware in there but also because I couldnt really afford it but I can play my favourite classics like age of empires and old starwars games and indies that haven't come to PS4 and lots of other games I didn't know about before I found on Steam reccomendations. I really like the Switch for its portability too but I still think PS4 is a little better edge simply because it has lots of games right now, I'm just glad I am lucky enough to have all these gaming platforms but it also makes me wonder about Xbox which is why I came to this thread lol.

Factually WRONG, but ok.

Bloodborne is not for everyone, far from it. If one for example hates Souls games this won't be for him/her. It's a great game though like the Souls games.

Yakuza barely sells on PS4 as is. Not sure the market is there on X1.

Really? I didn't know that. That's a shame, especially with how well it was received by reviewers.

Looks like this is another thread where some people buy into what MS wants you to think the word exclusive means. Going forward I can play all their games without owning an Xbox. They're currently not interested in making or securing any Xbox exclusives at all.

I don't mind them not making full exclusives anymore. If people on PC get to play it as well why would I dislike that? I know plenty people that have both a PC and Xbox and they like it that way.

Doc_Drop

Christ Hedon, you dealing in facts and denying there is anything on PS4 this gen??!!

Pointless discussing anything with you

Hedon

Banned
The Uncharted game is not DLC. It is a stand alone game as long as the original Uncharted, but fair even removing the DLC do you think Tacoma and Super Lucky's Tale push Xbox over? Those two game don't like anything special and might be shorter than those DLCs you removed.

And what do you mean about Destiny 2? Bungie already said there is no special performance improvements for the XOX and Sony has an exclusivity deal for more content inlcuding Strikes, so PS4 is the place to go.

How can you say nothing Sony has will make you turn it on when MS has games that are almost of the same quality if not worse? How can you say they dropped the ball when MS is the one with the new console and only Forza and Crackdown to show for it.

That in a year where Sony has already released some of the best games of the gen and MS has done nothing of real note.

Be realistic.

No worries man, we have noted your opinion. Just because not everyone agrees with you, there is no need to get upset. BTW, source as to where Bungie stated that X1X will not get ANY enhancements over the PS Pro version.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like this is another thread where some people buy into what MS wants you to think the word exclusive means.

It's that, or people are talking about consoles.

It's definitely one of those two things.

Calibos

Since buying the one s last year, the only game I've spent significant time with has been Quantum Break (great game). For the past 10 months or so I only turn it on to check for any good deals on the few Xbox games I can't get on PS4. In fact, the console got put in a box for a long time and only got hooked up again once I moved into my (more spacious) new flat.
My least used console ever. I would like to think that will change in the near future but looking at the one's sparse future exclusive lineup (some exciting games sure, but too many multiplayer centered titles that I most likely won't touch)...have my doubts about that.

This is my situation except reversed...barring some decent time with Sony's better exclusives, the PS4 is my least used console ever...(Prefer Live, EA Access, Game Pass, Controller, Friends etc...) It collects dust and I am looking to sell it closer to November along with my OG X1 so I can pick up a Switch and an XOX.

A lot of what is in here is opinion and preference. There are plenty of games that have come to both consoles and to say that one has an objectively better lineup is fine, but it's still just an opinion.

All that being said, I 100% agree that for Xbox to survive the "long game", it needs more exclusives spread out each year.

And I will stand by this forever, "Play Anywhere" fucked everything up for MS as far as exclusives. It gave people zero incentive to buy the XB1 if they had even a mediocre gaming PC. Sure, not all their games were masterpieces or critically acclaimed, but if they were Xbox only in the literal sense, they would have moved systems and helped with consumer mind share.

amardilo

Microsoft needs lots of exclusives but they don't have enough studios internally.

With all their Play Anywhere support I'd buy more games if they made them.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I use the BC like crazy, but otherwise MS is heavy into games that I don't want to play.

I get that others want to play them, and I'm not knocking the difference in taste, but I'm just not the kind of customer they are targeting.

I'll probably get Cuphead, though

Fredrik

Actually, Playground isn't small anymore, they opened a new studio office.

Also like i said, they can jump from work with MS to Sony then back to MS then back to Sony and loop and maybe even start work with Nintendo or any 3rd publishers, it's fine and no one is "losing" here.
Of course someone is losing. Less XB games = a loss for XB gamers. And read the thread title. Sure the majority here have all consoles so it's not a big deal but those who only own an XB1 obviously lose if a previous XB1 dev "jump from work with MS to Sony then back to MS then back to Sony and loop and maybe even start work with Nintendo" since several of those games in those scenarios would go to a console those people don't own.

Top Bottom