• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft on hardcore gamers: "Sweaty 30 Year Olds In Metallica T-shirts"

AstroLad said:
This is why Sony gets it and Microsoft just doesn't. I would love to see what KB would do to this twat.

That's the thing -- Sony cares about true gamers, but M$ only cares about profits.

Interfectum

flyinpiranha said:
And here comes the principle train. ALL ABOARD!

$10 and a jab at gamers doesn't equate to MS (sorry, forgot the $ sign) M$ being the only company that is equating to greed.

Or ... are you one of those people that think Kevin Butler is real. It's hard to tell these days as I can't see beyond the torches and pitchforks.

Why are you bringing Sony PR into this? And where did I say MS is the only corporation that is greedy?

Overpriced controllers and a pointless $10 hike are worth discussing. I'm sorry it offends you so much when consumers care about where their money is going.

thcsquad said:
He said that right after talking about how he loves God of War III. If you'd actually listen to the entire speech, you'd know that it was all about selling a combined 'hardcore + casual' gaming message, to a room of hardcore gamers. An even more important difference, though, was the audience. E3 is made up of hardcore gamers, so any light jabs at hardcore gaming culture have a much different message than ones to 'fashion editors and lifestyle doyens'. At E3, the chuckles were 'yes, I do that!', while at the Kinect event, the chuckles were 'heh NERDS'.

Who cares, it was a joke for the crowd, and I'm sure they giggled.

MEANWHILE, AT GAF

<Lazer Sounds>

What ... the ... fuck?!? DID YOU HEAR WHAT MS JUST CALLED US?!?! TO THE GAFMOBILE!!

They will not get sweaty as long as they stay away from Kinect.

Nothing wrong with Metallica BTW.

I bet Steve Ballmer also get pretty sweaty from time to time at the Microsoft swingers parties, that filthy pig.

Roto13

Himuro said:
Suck my balls, Microsoft.

9725_1237043842031_1107286719_30763177_1087915_n.jpg
Nice shoulder pads.

JaggedSac

professor_t said:
That's the thing -- Sony cares about true gamers, but M$ only cares about profits.

Good joke. I could fill up a whole page of laughing smileys for that comment. But I will just post one out of common courtesy.

:lol

Gravijah

professor_t said:

I still can't believe the gaming value I get with PlayStation Plus. Sony are fucking geniuses.

Interfectum said:
Why do you keep on bringing Sony PR into this? And where did I say MS is the only corporation that is greedy?

Overpriced controllers and a pointless $10 hike are worth discussing. I'm sorry it offends you so much when consumers care about where their money is going.
:lol dude, now you're doing what it seems to be the status quo with MS. Turning everything into some principle-ridden tirade about consumerism. It doesn't offend me, in fact I think it's hilarious so many people are actually offended by this.

They are trying to sweep up the casual market. It's what their advertising is doing right now before they launch a casual item. I know, weird.

Protip: The new controller is the same price that the combo packs sell for all over at stores. $64.99. A wireless controller is $49.99 and the PnC kit is $19.99 if you buy them separately.

And it's not like MS is the only one selling overpriced controllers.

pvpness

It's funny because they could single people out and those people would still sign up for $60 live and what not. Nobody actually cares when these companies get insulting. We just like to pretend we do so we have something to talk about on GAF when it's slow.

Come crawling faster. Obey your master.

Roto13

professor_t said:
They care about them in the "We totally care about this revenue stream" kind of way, I guess.

thcsquad

professor_t said:

As a Sony lover, I suggest you rephrase this.

They both only care about profits, but Sony's strategy is less cutthroat. They are building a brand, and their strategy is less short-term focused than Microsoft's.

I don't see how you can think that a huge corporation like Sony actually cares about anybody.

Vinci

Danish
Interfectum said:
They didn't... at least not in the way MS is doing it. Nintendo talked about going beyond their hardcore crowd and how the controller was a barrier to entry. But they said it in a way that didn't piss all over their current fanbase.

Yes, because (as far I recall) they never said anything derogatory about gamers; they simply pursued others as well and explained the difficulties in doing so. Really, the way Nintendo did this and the way MS is going at it are vastly different.

thcsquad said:
As a Sony lover, I suggest you rephrase this.

They both only care about profits, but Sony's strategy is less cutthroat. They are building a brand, and their strategy is less short-term focused than Microsoft's.

I don't see how you can think that a huge corporation like Sony actually cares about anybody.

MS's strategy only appears short-term. The reason they're being as aggressive as they are is because they know that once they're in something approximating control of this industry, it will take something akin to an Act of God to dislodge them due to their massive resources.

Chrange

Banned
Interfectum said:
See? Even a monkey can figure out the Xbox controller... :lol
Strangely the chimp looks a lot more competent than most actors 'playing' games on TV shows these days. :lol

Mad_Ban

It was obviously a joke to cater to the 'casual' at the event, but it shows a pretty drastic change of direction from MS in recent months.

They used to treat hardcore gamers as their holy grail (who do they think gave them their much touted 9.0 attach rate?) and now they seem to be doing their best to lose the audience that they catered to the most.

beast786

flyinpiranha said:
:lol and they both were poking fun. My god, the reactions to anything MS does is hilarious on GAF ... it's gotten to be pure comedy gold.

"MS makes a joke"
FUCKING KILL THEM! HOW DARE THEY INSULT US!
"Live rises $10"
THINK OF THE PRINCIPLES!
"New controller with the same pricing as a wireless and PnC kit"
RAPING US! THEY ARE RAPING US!

You know who I hate!? Rock Bands! How they can fucking say Cleveland is the rockin'est city then have the balls to show up in Portland. Fuck them. I mean, what are they trying to do? Just please the crowd they are talking to?

Thanks for clearing everything out. I really hope MS can hire someone with your ability to explain it all.

flyinpiranha said:
Who cares, it was a joke for the crowd, and I'm sure they giggled.

MEANWHILE, AT GAF

<Lazer Sounds>

What ... the ... fuck?!? DID YOU HEAR WHAT MS JUST CALLED US?!?! TO THE GAFMOBILE!!
Made me laugh because it's true.

ultron87

So has Microsoft officially taken the GAF Videogame Villain crown from Activision or is it going to take one or two more threads?

Mindlog

Interfectum said:
MS is going the Nintendo route talking about how awful controllers are and how their audience consists of basement dwelling nerds (although Nintendo was far less insulting).

Controllers are poorly designed. I have no doubt that companies spend quite a bit of money testing hardware configurations. However, all current controllers sacrifice true ergonomic comfort in favor of appealing to the traditionalists. There is no reason to put L1/LB directly above L2/LT. It's lazy LCD design. Is it too much to hope for that in the year Twenty-fuck -Ten someone would figure it out and place the bumper where my trigger finger is??

Microsoft bought out Sony's Idiot PR Mouthpiece Group. It should have spent that money keeping Bungie. Really when corporations do something stupid I'm happy my corporation loves me and whatnot and monocle popping.

Vinci

Danish
flyinpiranha said:
OR ... you could just not take everything so seriously.

OR... and this is just a thought... MS could create a product compelling enough that they don't feel the need to make derogatory statements regarding their primary audience. I mean, the comment isn't necessary. Let people play with Kinect: If they like it, yay; if not, no big deal.

Chrange

Banned
ultron87 said:
So has Microsoft officially taken the GAF Videogame Villain crown from Activision or is it going to take one or two more threads?
It's probably going to take a 'Is anyone switching to Megadeth t-shirts after Microsoft's comments?' thread for that.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It's more a silly statement than anything else. Gaming has been opened up for more people than that demographic for years now.

Gravijah

ultron87 said:

Yes. I sold my 360 and bought another PS3 and Wii. I'd buy a new computer, but those things are super expensive.

Vinci said:
OR... and this is just a thought... MS could create a product compelling enough that they don't feel the need to make derogatory statements regarding their primary audience. I mean, the comment isn't necessary. Let people play with Kinect: If they like it, yay; if not, no big deal.

Why? I thought the joke was funny.

flyinpiranha said:

That's a main offense to the hardcore userbase. I won't tolerate to be reduced to a stupid parody.

And it's disgusting to see all this MS apologists. I'm leaving this tread. Big Bang Theory is about to start and I don't want to miss it.

MS is just mad because GameStop has more Move preorders.

Also, I'm 27 wearing a Snow Patrol shirt. So whomever said that is way off his mark.

beast786

flyinpiranha said:

Cant wait for the Live price increase 0_0

I agree. I should bend over and take it. See.... How convincing you are already?

Top Bottom