• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3sphere

Initially I really wanted the Book, but I think I rather go SP4 now. I've been hearing the type cover has been significantly improved, and i5 / 16GB RAM for $1500 + $130 for the cover sounds good to me.

So if you don't need the dGPU and if they've improved the type cover enough - I'm seeing less of a reason to get the Book. I'll have to try the SP4 and see how it is.

One other thing I'm waiting on is to find out if they've fixed the throttling issue that people had with SP3.

So, figured I might as well ask this here: does anybody know if there's been success using Project Astoria to port android apps to Win 10 proper? The guides I've seen were about using them on Win 10 Mobile. Was just thinking that snagging the Android Comixology app would make my (future) Surface just about perfect.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just tried the sp4 at Best Buy in NYC. Tried fresh paint and one note. The stylus feels much better than the surface pro 3. Very little lag when you're actually drawing, only lags when it hovers like all n-trig pens.Also the nib some has traction so drawing feels great. The tablet itself feels extremely well made except for one thing that concerned me, the soft screen.

With very little pressure the screen gets that LCD ripple effect by the pencil point. It's a bit distracting and I wonder if it's only in the unit that I tried.

Can't wait to try manga studio or photoshop on it.

Does $999 sound right for the i5 128 sku? I thought the i5 was 1299.

Apath

Just tried the sp4 at Best Buy in NYC. Tried fresh paint and one note. The stylus feels much better than the surface pro 3. Very little lag when you're actually drawing, only lags when it hovers like all n-trig pens.Also the nib some has traction so drawing feels great. The tablet itself feels extremely well made except for one thing that concerned me, the soft screen.

With very little pressure the screen gets that LCD ripple effect by the pencil point. It's a bit distracting and I wonder if it's only in the unit that I tried.

i5 is $1299 for the 8GB/256GB sku. $999 is right the for 4GB/128GB.

Doc Holliday

Ah ok that makes sense. Also for a display unit the tablet was not hot or loud.

Damn it I wish they had an 8 gig version for 999 :/

Future

I was about to post almost identical feedback. I too saw a ripple on the screen when writing. Not terrible, but noticeable

It's amazing how much better the stylus feels. I went to the pro 3 to immediately compare and yeah, no comparison. The extra drag makes my handwriting look more like normal handwriting.

Still noticed jitter when writing straight lines. Not an artist so doesn't bother me too much, but wish it was gone. RegardlessI rarely use my pro 3 pen, but I will be buying this pen anyway.

Keyboard is way better too, as is the weight when holding as a tablet. The sweet taste of refinement. Will be buying that too

No book on display yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ah ok that makes sense. Also for a display unit the tablet was not hot or loud.

Damn it I wish they had an 8 gig version for 999 :/

I'd take $1099 too. 128GB is enough space for many people, so why raise the price by $300 when the main thing you want is just the 4GB ram?

I'm almost certainly sticking with 4GB and just hoping it is enough (combined with a fast SSD it should be ok I think)

Luigi87

I'm curious if the new pen has less latency on SP3, or if that is also restricted to the SP4 due to its G5 processor.

Doc Holliday

hollyshit, pretty responsive and nice drawing lol I can't even draw that.

Hah thx, I didn't know I was going to post so I would have made something nicer ;) one thing I was impressed by is how little parallax there is compared to my cintiq. I just wish the screen didn't give as much, feels like I'll damage it if I press hard. In pretty heavy handed when draw so I wear out pen nibs often.

The glare wasn't too bad considering it was at a store.

Luigi87

Ugh... I'm beginning to debate a dilemma...

I just got the Pro 3 i7 128GB / 8GB RAM a few days ago because it was $300 off... but now I'm debating returning it and getting the Pro 4 i5 128GB / 4GB RAM. My reasoning being I'm primarily using this as an art device (primarily Clip Studio, and possibly some ZBrush), and the pen settings look to be far more beneficial...
Basically I would only be paying $10-20 more for the SP4 i5.

Hah thx, I didn't know I was going to post so I would have made something nicer ;) one thing I was impressed by is how little parallax there is compared to my cintiq. I just wish the screen didn't give as much, feels like I'll damage it if I press hard. In pretty heavy handed when draw so I wear out pen nibs often.

The glare wasn't too bad considering it was at a store.

It's the same on sp3, but don't worry, even when you put a great amount of force it won't damage the screen.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Cross posting since we have two semi-overlapping threads.

Had a chance to play with the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book at the Oak Park Mall Microsoft Store. I went with a buddy of mine who is a huge MS fanboy - currently rocking his Band and an imported Lumia, and had the original Surface Pro the day it came out.

First up, the SP4. They had several demo units at the front of the store. I really like how their retail locations don't have any security locks... you can freely unplug the device and carry it/walk around with it/etc. Really enhances the shopping experience, especially for something like this.

The first things I'm on the lookout for is how does it "feel." It's really damn thin. I know I'm greedy - but if they could shave off another ~10% or so, I think it would be as perfect as I could ask. Regardless, though, it's really impressive. The first Surface Pro was so stupidly thick it defeated the purpose in my opinion, but the SP3 was a massive improvement, and this iterates MS to the end goal - if just ever so much. On a flat service, it's only the slightest bit thicker than my iPhone 6s+ - incredible. It's light. Not "featherlight," but about, say, pre-Air iPad weight. Considering the specs, that's very impressive. Most importantly, though, is the fit and finish - and MS continues to knock it out of the park. The thing feels just as solid as the 3, with a phenomenal kickstand and spectacular materials... with everything ever so slightly more condensed, it's even more "solid" feeling in your hands.

So how about using it? RIGHT OFF THE BAT, the stylus is a massive improvement. First off, the magnet is super strong; I would feel comfortable walking around with the stylus attached, or even throwing it in my bag each day without worry. But more importantly, it works wonderfully. This is, in my opinion, an incredible leap in "write-ability." I could write out small characters, write in cursive, throw down some math equations, etc. The lag is certainly reduced, but the "feel" of the nub with its increased resistance is really what makes things feel different. It's not like writing on paper, yet; but as a big anti-stylus guy, I have to admit: I could have easily taken notes on this thing in college.

Screen is really good - but not phenomenal. On par with the Pro 3, from what I could tell. So, definitely not "bad," but it doesn't have much pop, colors are a bit muted, black levels were adequate, and their was a bit of backlight blotching on black backgrounds at max brightness - even on a second one I grabbed. Perfectly fine for probably 95% of people. But it's not a professional calibrated Eizo, and I definitely prefer the screen on my 15" rMBP by a wide margin. Also, as mentioned before, there's a VERY evident ripple effect when you apply moderate pressure to the screen - a bit distracting considering it's an artist's tool that is sensitive to pressure input. Also - and I say the same thing when using my gaming PC at home - I really don't like how Windows renders text. I've always preferred the "smoothness" and boldness of OSX's text rendering.

Speakers were adequate. They're good tablet speakers, unimpressive laptop speakers.

Keyboard felt much improved from the 4. The key travel is good, and the spacing is nice. Compared to, say, the new Macbook, it's such a difference they're hard to compare. The solid footing of the MB personally wins me over; but the "real" key travel on display here will certainly win people over. Either way, though, it's totally usable - and I don't think anyone can realistically expect a perfect typing experience. Hell, I like what's on my MBP; but the old non-retina models had much better key travel - and the old non-unibody metal keys were even better.

Trackpad was improved, and on par with good Windows laptops. Way better than most the Dell and HP garbage out there. Still not anywhere near Apple's. Useable, though. And at least not frustrating.

As for speed: didn't get to really put it through it's paces. I was on an i5/8GB model, and it launched programs instantly, and handled 10+ tabs of TheVerge.com just fine. Scrolling was smooth. Multitasking was quick. But again, not a lot of really demanding apps.

I couldn't hear any fans; but again, it was a retail store so kind of loud.

Next, the Surface Book. Unfortunately, they were imaging the device, so I couldn't put the hardware through its paces, nor could I detach the screen - so my impressions are focused mainly on the design.

First off - the hinge is SO MUCH better in person. I know we all know this; but the hinge is metal - and pictures don't really "sell" that very well - its fit and finish is much better when you see it up close. I'm still not a fan of the "curve/gap/whatever" of not closing fully - seems like you're begging to break it. Obviously, I didn't want to test my theory under the gaze of all these employees.

That said, the build quality was exceptional. The palm rests just feel so damn incredibly solid - being that the device is so thin, I'd argue there is less wiggle on the SB than on my Apple unibody laptop. That's saying something, as I've never said that about any computer before. Everything is just so damn smooth.

Something that didn't really hit me until I saw it in person - the vents are all very well hidden. Only a single strip at the top of the keyboard on the base, and then cleverly camo'd on the screen.

The keyboard felt great. VERY similar to my rMBP.

Screen is definitely better on the SB than the SP4. Maybe my eyes deceive me, maybe it was better lighting, maybe it was varied units... I don't know - but everything looked better on the SB than the SP4.

I also pressed the screen with my finger... ... no evident ripple.

Final thoughts: Both of these things are exceptional devices. Really, I don't think you could go wrong with either. It's very clear MS can command some presence on the design front, and the build quality on these devices had a clear target on their radar: Apple. And they're locked on.

I still can't shake the feeling of preferring a single device being released: A Surface Pro 4 with a metal SB keyboard dock with all the same features. I understand some people "get it" and think I'm just crazy - and that's fair. But me, personally? I'd have preferred a SP4 just the way it is, with the ability to attach the metal keyboard and enjoy more battery life and an ability to game when docked; and all the features of long battery life and expansion when on the go with just my tablet.

But, that's not what we got. And what we did get is very impressive early on.

If the GPU would have been a liiiitle bit better, it might have convinced me to jump ship. I expect a 1GB 950M derivative. But if it somehow turns out to magically be a 2GB+ 965M, it would be extremely tempting.

As it stands though, I still like my 15" rMBP with 750M more. And I expect next year, if we do get a redesign, I'll end up moving forward on the new replacement from Apple. The biggest things keeping me where I am? OSX, a better keyboard/trackpad combo, a much preferred hinge, an "adequate" GPU (it would take a "good" GPU for me to be tempted; otherwise, they all play games *about* the same), the ecosystem I'm already in (specifically iMessage, if I'm being honest), and a better display (IMO - actual tests may prove me to be an idiot).

Regardless, though - I think these new devices are phenomenal. It's all down to preference in the end, I think. If this has what you want, I really, really don't think you're gonna be disappointed.

One last thing, though. While me and my friend both really liked these two devices, and he preordered a Band 2, we both agreed the new Lumias were VERY disappointing. They didn't "feel" flagship at all. Very plastic-y. Very "Galaxy S4." Specs are decent, we both suppose, and the screens were nice enough. But they felt kind of cheap.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Went to Best Buy yesterday and they had a SP4. Messed around with it a little, as well as the S3. First time ever using a Surface device.

Is it just me or is there a bit of a lag when using the pen? Seems like it would be useful for stuff like drawing or doing math problems and whatnot, but I couldn't imagine taking notes with it in class. I wouldn't be able to keep up. Seemed about the same on the SP4 vs the S3.

Also, is the new Surface pen going to be sold separately and will it be compatible with the Surface 3? If so would it have any advantages on an S3 over an older Surface pen? I'm thinking of getting an S3 which is why I'm asking.

Luigi87

Very nice impressions Skel1ingt0n.
... and now making me further question if I should return my SP3 mentioned above for a SP4 @_@

Also, is the new Surface pen going to be sold separately and will it be compatible with the Surface 3? If so would it have any advantages on an S3 over an older Surface pen? I'm thinking of getting an S3 which is why I'm asking.

It will be sold separately. It won't offer much in the way of advantages aside from the nibs, and the eraser. A lot of the extra power of the new pen (1024 levels sensitivity, and probably the low latency) are due to the Surface Pro 4's G5 controller, which controls touch and pressure of the SP4 screen.

Key2001

Tough choice between getting this or waiting until next year to build a new gaming PC. I haven't been gaming near as much as I use to, so I am leaning a bit towards the SP4 (although I only have the budget to get the $999 model atm).

If I end up getting one is it worth it to get a screen protector for it? If so, what has been the suggested screen protector brand for past Surface Pro tablets (assuming not much changes with them for the SP4)?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Woah Best Buy has demo units? I'm going to head there tomorrow

What type cover color are you guys picking? I have a red one pre-ordered but I'll take a look at the Best Buy covers in person to better gauge the colors

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ugh... I'm beginning to debate a dilemma...

I just got the Pro 3 i7 128GB / 8GB RAM a few days ago because it was $300 off... but now I'm debating returning it and getting the Pro 4 i5 128GB / 4GB RAM. My reasoning being I'm primarily using this as an art device (primarily Clip Studio, and possibly some ZBrush), and the pen settings look to be far more beneficial...
Basically I would only be paying $10-20 more for the SP4 i5.

Swap. I'd guess the i5 in the SP4 will be lower or peak performance that the i7, but the new cooling should mean it is capable of better sustained performance. I'd almost put money on the i5 SP4 outperforming the i7 SP3 over long benchmarking runs because of the SP3 throttling.

Plus as you say you have the better pen pressure levels, and possibly other elements of the screen have been improved

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still can't shake the feeling of preferring a single device being released: A Surface Pro 4 with a metal SB keyboard dock with all the same features. I understand some people "get it" and think I'm just crazy - and that's fair. But me, personally? I'd have preferred a SP4 just the way it is, with the ability to attach the metal keyboard and enjoy more battery life and an ability to game when docked; and all the features of long battery life and expansion when on the go with just my tablet.

I totally agree with you. Maybe they'll head in that direction for the SP5, and the design/engineering on these didn't have time to consider aligning the two?

Your comments about iMessage were interesting. I wouldn't expect a smoke integration of messaging across platforms to be that compelling, but pushbullet+android with my Windows PC is making me uncertain about getting an iPhone, as there seems to be no way to handle incoming messages across Windows+iPhone. iMessage is Mac+iPhone only, pushbullet is iOS+Mac or android+PC, and I'm a PC user (used to be OSX but Windows 7 got 'good enough' that the pure OS experience couldn't keep me on Mac)

You'd think that platform holders would be more open with these kinds of things. Why does apple care if I use a PC? Get me to buy an iPhone and they make a nice margin. Then maybe I'll consider a Mac if I'm happy with their products. But by not working nice with PC they are actively putting me off

strata8

I totally agree with you. Maybe they'll head in that direction for the SP5, and the design/engineering on these didn't have time to consider aligning the two?

I think it was a conscious decision. In order to make the best laptop possible (low screen weight) the Surface Book had to be somewhat compromised as a tablet (small battery, no kickstand). Similarly the Surface Pro 4 would be (and is) compromised as a laptop due to the choice to make it a the best tablet possible (large battery, kickstand, full-sized ports).

Beyond going fanless or improvements in battery density I don't think it's possible to make a single device that's as good of a tablet as the SP4 or as good of a laptop as the Surface Book.

Lucius86

Banned
I'm surprised by the comments on the display of the SP4 - considering the Surface 3 has been regarded as one of the best displays out there, I was hoping for the same with the SP4.

Has anyone detached the Surface Book display and checked the battery life reported by Windows 10 afterwards? That's going to be the single biggest issue between me choosing the SB and SP4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it was a conscious decision. In order to make the best laptop possible (low screen weight) the Surface Book had to be somewhat compromised as a tablet (small battery, no kickstand). Similarly the Surface Pro 4 would be (and is) compromised as a laptop due to the choice to make it a the best tablet possible (large battery, kickstand, full-sized ports).

Beyond going fanless or improvements in battery density I don't think it's possible to make a single device that's as good of a tablet as the SP4 or as good of a laptop as the Surface Book.

Good point about the weight - it'd make it top heavy without a kickstand.

How about a SP5 built around the core m chipset? Fanless, thinner and lighter - using USB type C so no need for the full thickness of USB 3. That could get you light enough to then have a keyboard dock with optional GPU.

strata8

How about a SP5 built around the core m chipset? Fanless, thinner and lighter - using USB type C so no need for the full thickness of USB 3. That could get you light enough to then have a keyboard dock with optional GPU.

Probably, the iPad Pro is slightly larger than the Surface Book's tablet and basically the same weight. Guess it really depends how much the kickstand weighs, and if people are willing to take the performance hit that comes with going with Core M.

Lucius86

Banned

That sounds more like a high end Surface 4 if you chuck in a lower powered Core M.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just received Microsoft's pricing list for Spain, which will probably be the same for the rest of the European Union.

vXcykCX.png

Ouch.

The Type Cover should absolutely come included in the Pro version. Also, it sucks that I can't slap 8GB of RAM in the lesser models. A not-so-humble m3 would suit my needs perfectly.

Lucius86

Banned
I just received Microsoft's pricing list for Spain, which will probably be the same for the rest of the European Union.

vXcykCX.png

Ouch.

The Type Cover should absolutely come included in the Pro version. Also, it sucks that I can't slap 8GB of RAM in the lesser models. A not-so-humble m3 would suit my needs perfectly.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they don't offer customising it for online orders.

It would be even cooler if you get free engraving like you can with iPads.

artsi

A hands on with a video showcasing the jitter:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/went-hands-surface-pro-4-awesome

It's still there but it's much better than the pen on sp3.

It's not as bad but I'm a bit disappointed, he also mentioned that drawing with light pressure is difficult which is what I do a lot.

I don't need full Windows functionality so I guess I'll wait for some iPad Pro impressions from artists and make my decision after that.

Here's one with Disney animators playing with it, too bad the video is potato quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxsjFzrdFMo

Luigiv

Yeah, I'm not sure why they don't offer customising it for online orders.

It would be even cooler if you get free engraving like you can with iPads.

They did at first but then they removed it for some reason. Guess it'll be available after launch.

Maximo

It's not as bad but I'm a bit disappointed, he also mentioned that drawing with light pressure is difficult which is what I do a lot.

I don't need full Windows functionality so I guess I'll wait for some iPad Pro impressions from artists and make my decision after that.

Here's one with Disney animators playing with it, too bad the video is potato quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxsjFzrdFMo

Man why the hell haven't they fixed the stuttering issues really was hoping they would pick up their game after purchasing NTrig.

strata8

Comparison between the SP3 and SP4 type covers. Threw a SP2 cover in for good measure, you can see how much they've improved the trackpad from the shitty felt one.

KVzJsMg.jpg

The SP3 cover was fairly lazy in retrospect. Just a complete transplant of the SP2 keyboard, so much wasted space.

Raistlin

Core M isn't suddenly going to be powerful enough next year to offer the performance they want across the range. With that in mind they still need to design to the largest form factor, which will still need fans, etc. I do see the non-pro line being the form factor you want though. S4 may be for you.

As for USB-C, I don't see it being mainstream enough in terms of devices for MS to drop a type A connector. Remember they need to cater to businesses as well, and there's tons of legacy USB devices bought and paid for. Again, I could see them doing it on the non-pro line.

Comparison between the SP3 and SP4 type covers. Threw a SP2 cover in for good measure, you can see how much they've improved the trackpad from the shitty felt one.

KVzJsMg.jpg

The SP3 cover was fairly lazy in retrospect. Just a complete transplant of the SP2 keyboard, so much wasted space.

Yep, I'm buying that new keyboard.

Luigi87

Swap. I'd guess the i5 in the SP4 will be lower or peak performance that the i7, but the new cooling should mean it is capable of better sustained performance. I'd almost put money on the i5 SP4 outperforming the i7 SP3 over long benchmarking runs because of the SP3 throttling.

Plus as you say you have the better pen pressure levels, and possibly other elements of the screen have been improved

Yeah the improved pressure and latency (due to the G5 controller) make it a big draw for me. Ultimately it's the loss of 4GB of RAM that has me circling back and forth on the issue.
... I mean, I suppose there were people who had the SP1 and SP2 whom also used these apps

strata8

An i5 SP4 result is up on Geekbench now and it's 15-20% faster than the i5 SP3 in both single and multi-threaded tests. It's even 5% faster than the i7 SP3 in the single-threaded test and again 20% faster in multi-threaded.

Obviously not controlled or conclusive in any way but it's encouraging. Really want to see GPU and sustained performance.

Lucius86

Banned
An i5 SP4 result is up on Geekbench now and it's 15-20% faster than the i5 SP3 in both single and multi-threaded tests. It's even 5% faster than the i7 SP3 in the single-threaded test and again 20% faster in multi-threaded.

Obviously not controlled or conclusive in any way but it's encouraging. Really want to see GPU and sustained performance.

Do you have a link? Also are there any figures for the i7?

strata8

Do you have a link? Also are there any figures for the i7?

There's only one result uploaded for the SP4 (it's an i5) and it's here:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3737541
3100 single, 6430 multi

For comparison a search for the SP3 i5:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=surface+pro+3+i5
Just looking at the first page, high average seems to be 2700 single, 5300 multi

And SP3 i7:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=surface+pro+3+i7
Around 3000-3100 single, 5500-5700 multi

Lucius86

Banned
3100 single, 6430 multi

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=surface+pro+3+i5
Just looking at the first page, high average seems to be 2700 single, 5300 multi

And SP3 i7:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=surface+pro+3+i7

Perfect, thanks!

strata8

wasn't MS saying 30% faster?

They never said by what metric though. GPU? Probably, there have been a lot of improvements since Haswell. Sustained load? Maybe, depends on how much better the cooling system is. But pure CPU performance? I don't think it was ever going to be 30% in synthetic tests, just going by the clock speed and IPC increases from Haswell -> Skylake.

Could be an average, maybe something like 40% faster GPU and 20% faster CPU.

szaromir

Banned
3100 single, 6430 multi

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekb...rface+pro+3+i5

And SP3 i7:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekb...rface+pro+3+i7
Thanks for those links, I also checked the result for the SP3 i3. If SP4 m3 is in similar range then I'll go for the SP4 i5, for just €100 more you get like 70% more horsepower which is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom