• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh1ner

If you might do any gaming it could be worth it. Otherwise I wouldn't just for the CPU improvement

The most taxing game I would play would be league of legends that's if it can run it at 40 to 60fps on low at 1080p...
Maybe give hearthstone another shot but I assume I can play the tablet version of that.

I tried out the Surface Pro 4 today and the keyboard is like night and day. I'm the one who's said for the last year that my Surface Pro 3 has been my main computer, but man that new keyboard is soooooo solid. The separated keys are great, and there's simply no flex in the keyboard at all. And the trackpad as even better.

My SP3 is still rock solid so there's no way to justify an upgrade especially since I don't have the cash for it either.The keyboard though is awesome and work great with the SP3. I'd recommend that those without the cash to buy in on the SP4 or without the cash to upgrade from the SP3 you should just pick up the keyboard to get that SP4 feel.

JCX

I play Civ5, Beyond Earth, and X-com on my pro 1, I don't think you will have any issues with those games on any surface, especially a SP4 (though I don't know specifically how well StarCraft plays on one I imagine it runs fairly well).

Thanks for this. Since SC2/CiV run well on older models, I should be able to skate buy with the basic Surface 4 then, or maybe even a higher end SP3. Can you use the 4's type cover with 3?

Futureman

can someone help me compare processor/graphics benchmarks?

Looking to compare...

-Surface Pro 4 Core i5 6300U: CPU - 2.4 GHz base, 3.0 GHz turbo, Intel HD 520

with

-late 2013 15" rMBP Core i7 4850HQ: CPU - 2.3GHz quad-core base, 3.5 GHz turbo, Iris Pro integrated + NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5

strata8

Looking to compare...

with

-late 2013 15" rMBP Core i7 4850HQ: CPU - 2.3GHz quad-core base, 3.5 GHz turbo, Iris Pro integrated + NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5

CPUs should be similar in single-threaded but MBP will be twice the speed in multi-threaded (2 cores vs. 4 cores). Both the integrated and dedicated GPU will be much faster than the SP4 but I'm not sure by how much.

It's just physics really, the 4850HQ is a 47W part vs. the 15W 6300U.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You sir have made me a happy man. Any ideas on how well the SP4 i7 with the better integrated graphics will run league? Can I bump the resolution up a notch? Or will the performance increase be insignificant?

i7 has a significant graphics bump, but still integrated. Iris graphics with double the graphic 'execution units' plus 64MB embedded ram. So should be a decent improvement.

giga

Looking to compare...

with

MBP will wipe the floor in everything. It might be close in single threaded CPU tasks, but the 3.5ghz turbo has me saying otherwise.

Futureman

thanks jwick and strata.

The most intense thing I do is After Effects, though I haven't really used it in awhile. Seems the MBP would still be better there, but otherwise I'd see similar performance (I don't game).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are US surface pro m3/i5 shipping by October 26th? U.K. dates are 'by November 12th' for m3/i5, and December 10th for i7.

Wondering if I can wait for initial US launch units for benches etc before preordering in the UK. Particularly wondering about noise difference with the fanless m3 and if throttling hits performance on any models.

Are US surface pro m3/i5 shipping by October 26th? U.K. dates are 'by November 12th' for m3/i5, and December 10th for i7.

Wondering if I can wait for initial US launch units for benches etc before preordering in the UK. Particularly wondering about noise difference with the fanless m3 and if throttling hits performance on any models.

November 12th seems to be the European date. It's the same date here in Germany.

dLMN8R

Could this play BF4 and Battlefront on ultra 60 fps or close to it?

The base model.

They have Intel Integrated graphics. Of course not. How on earth would a thin tablet that ways fewer than two pounds run games faster than a Playstation 4?

Played with a SP4 and a SP3 in Best Buy. Definitely noticed the pen was less jittery and less lag in general with the SP4. Also noticed the screen definitely seemed to be... stickier? softer? as others noted. In a good way (so long as it doesn't damage it). Very tempted by SP4 now, though kind of want to hold out for the inevitable S4.

S3 prices to have some downward pressure now with the SP4 / SB coming out? Wife has a S1 and really wants to go to the S3. Her biggest issue is she can't print from the S1 because there are no drivers for Windows RT for our printer. I had it working at one time by using some generic driver but it no longer does the trick. S3 is full Windows so that shouldn't be an issue, right?

S3 and SP4 both get Windows 10?

Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Both Windows 10 yes. S3 is atom processor and slower Emmc compared to SSD. But for day to day usage it should be a good option. But in the uk the 4GB S3 is £499 and the pen is sold separately at £50. type cover is still £100. at £550 including the pen I'd go for the entry level m3 SP4 at £750 if the size is ok for you. Should be much faster and last you longer because of that before needing to be replaced.

strata8

Played with a SP4 and a SP3 in Best Buy. Definitely noticed the pen was less jittery and less lag in general with the SP4. Also noticed the screen definitely seemed to be... stickier? softer? as others noted. In a good way (so long as it doesn't damage it). Very tempted by SP4 now, though kind of want to hold out for the inevitable S4.

The texture is thanks to the new pen, so you could get that with the S3? Wouldn't get the 1024 levels of pressure or improved accuracy/lag though.

Futureman

ok final decision! Cancelled my Surface Book. Gonna keep my MacBook Pro for photography and design work. Getting the m3 Surface Pro 4 as my digital illustration tablet.

Selling my i5 SP3. I know CPU performance is about 15% less from SP3 i5 -> SP4 m3, but I wonder how the SP3's HD4400 compares to the SP4's Intel HD 515?

maybe I should just bump up another $100 to get the i5 w/ HD 520?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok final decision! Cancelled my Surface Book. Gonna keep my MacBook Pro for photography and design work. Getting the m3 Surface Pro 4 as my digital illustration tablet.

Selling my i5 SP3. I know CPU performance is about 15% less from SP3 i5 -> SP4 m3, but I wonder how the SP3's HD4400 compares to the SP4's Intel HD 515?

maybe I should just bump up another $100 to get the i5 w/ HD 520?

Purely for illustration the m3 should be ok I think. I'm going to hold off on impressions - they are close enough in price to choose either so if the i5 is notably faster and non issues with fan noise/heat/throttling I'll get that one.

Futureman

Purely for illustration the m3 should be ok I think. I'm going to hold off on impressions - they are close enough in price to choose either so if the i5 is notably faster and non issues with fan noise/heat/throttling I'll get that one.

the illustration I do is super simple. Like literally just line drawing and then some coloring (see avatar).

I do use Lazy Nezumi which is processor intensive I suppose (smoothing plugin for Photoshop). I may not have to even use it though if the wobbly line issue is corrected enough (reports say SP4 is better).

I think I'm just gonna do the m3 so I don't have to ever worry about the fan coming on.

Trying to decide what to recommend to my girlfriend. I think she would love a base Surface Pro 4, but I'm not sure about buying a computer with only 4GB of ram. The i5 would be overkill though for what she plans on using it for (mostly just web browsing and MS Office stuff). How good is Windows nowadays with a lowish ram number?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trying to decide what to recommend to my girlfriend. I think she would love a base Surface Pro 4, but I'm not sure about buying a computer with only 4GB of ram. The i5 would be overkill though for what she plans on using it for (mostly just web browsing and MS Office stuff). How good is Windows nowadays with a lowish ram number?

Fine. Especially combined with a fast SSD

Luigi87

Finally got to try out the Surface Pro 4 at my Best Buy today.
While I didn't get to test out the full range or pressure, because Fresh Paint is an outdated PoSoftware, I will say the feeling of writing with the new pen, as well as the speed and accuracy, is night and day compared to the SP3. Since I'm gonna mainly use mine for my art, I am very glad I returned my SP3 and decided to wait for the 4.

Futureman

Finally got to try out the Surface Pro 4 at my Best Buy today.
While I didn't get to test out the full range or pressure, because Fresh Paint is an outdated PoSoftware, I will say the feeling of writing with the new pen, as well as the speed and accuracy, is night and day compared to the SP3. Since I'm gonna mainly use mine for my art, I am very glad I returned my SP3 and decided to wait for the 4.

nice. Any idea which model was on display?

Luigi87

nice. Any idea which model was on display?

I... crap >_<
We had two on display, the i5 128 / 4GB (which was very responsive) but it wasn't demoed with the pen. I forgot to check which model the pen was hooked up to.
I'll check again tomorrow evening when I'm at work. My guess is maybe either another i5, or possibly the m3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I... crap >_<
We had two on display, the i5 128 / 4GB (which was very responsive) but it wasn't demoed with the pen. I forgot to check which model the pen was hooked up to.
I'll check again tomorrow evening when I'm at work. My guess is maybe either another i5, or possibly the m3.

If there is an m3, could you run a benchmark across that and the i5? Curious how much difference in power there is

Luigi87

If there is an m3, could you run a benchmark across that and the i5? Curious how much difference in power there is

Wish I could, but I've only been with them for nine weeks and not sure they'd take too kindly of me doing that, lol.

Also Best Buy Canada's website is already phasing out some Surface Pro 3 units (such as the i5 128 / 4GB)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PC World has an article about the CPUs in the Surface Pro and Book. It might help some people with the purchase decisions.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2989...-surface-pro-4-chips-and-why-they-matter.html

good article, but I would have liked them to touch on the 4GB i5 which is an option if you configure it (or a default option in the UK), and only £100 more than the m3. They talk on the assumption that i5=8GB. If you're accepting the potential limitations of 4GB ram, then the m3/i5 question becomes quite interesting IMO. Also I'm not sure the m3 will have massively longer battery life - surely MS wouldn't allow the 'budget' model to outshine the more expensive models in that regard?

Apath

I'm going to go with the i7 8GB/256GB model, as it seems to be the best choice if you plan on doing any gaming. Surface Book is just too expensive for what it offers over the Surface Pro 4 and, to be honest, I get the feeling that the SB will suffer from gen-1 syndrome; having a bunch of issues that will be fixed and improved upon in the next iteration.

I'm going to go with the i7 8GB/256GB model, as it seems to be the best choice if you plan on doing any gaming. Surface Book is just too expensive for what it offers over the Surface Pro 4 and, to be honest, I get the feeling that the SB will suffer from gen-1 syndrome; having a bunch of issues that will be fixed and improved upon in the next iteration.

That's a fair point on it being the 1st gen, but I think even the $1900 model (i5 with discrete gpu) should be above the SP4 i7, and compared to that it's not much more expensive.

People keep saying this and it's a little worrying. I went for the i5 8gb but would like to be able to do light gaming - do you reckon I will be hamstringing myself by not getting the i7 w/ intel 540?

Guess I need to wait until reviews to find that out. Luckily it's out in the US about a fortnight before the UK

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
People keep saying this and it's a little worrying. I went for the i5 8gb but would like to be able to do light gaming - do you reckon I will be hamstringing myself by not getting the i7 w/ intel 540?

Guess I need to wait until reviews to find that out. Luckily it's out in the US about a fortnight before the UK

i5 should be fine if you're not doing anything too demanding. I went with an i5/16GB setup.

x3sphere

I have a i5/16GB SP4 on preorder but I may switch over to the i7 if the integrated GPU really is that much better.

But I'm not expecting a huge jump honestly. It's got the Iris GPU not the Iris Pro which showed a big jump in some reviews.

harSon

Banned
Can't decide if I want this, Surface Book, or Dell XPS 13.

I own both a Surface Pro 3 and the new Dell XPS 13, although I plan to sell both for a Surface Book. I can't speak for the Surface Book quite yet, but you can't go wrong with the other two.

dedhead54

I own both a Surface Pro 3 and the new Dell XPS 13, although I plan to sell both for a Surface Book. I can't speak for the Surface Book quite yet, but you can't go wrong with the other two.

I bit the bullet and pre-ordered a Surface Book at the MS store today.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a i5/16GB SP4 on preorder but I may switch over to the i7 if the integrated GPU really is that much better.

But I'm not expecting a huge jump honestly. It's got the Iris GPU not the Iris Pro which showed a big jump in some reviews.

Isn't the skylake iris 540 similar to the old iris pro - I.e it has embedded memory?

I'm considering returning a SP3 w/ an i3 CPU to get a SP4 w/ m3 CPU. The SP3 cost me $630 and the SP4 is going to cost $900. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom