• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

Chris1

Nintendo will never do this. Sony will most likely follow, though. I'm sure all of us have games we weren't feeling after an hour.

Yeah Nintendo is a long shot but they shouldn't be given a free pass here. This should be standard across all digital stores.

JeffGrubb

Just checked my Bone. It's there.

refunds.png

refunds-2.png

refunds-3.png

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾Yes Microsoft 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

WOW ... that is something i thought id never see for digital purchases.

play less than 2 hours and process the request within 14 days of purchase? nice.

Great stuff. Still need to counter the cost of digital games and the trade in issue however before i would consider even thinking about going digital

Nice. Hope to see this from Sony too.

Anyone who doesnt think competition is a good thing is delusional. This right here is why you shouldnt root for one console to destroy another.
The problem is when one company rules alone. Competition getting destroyed isn't the problem.

Self-Service Refunds Now In Preview Alpha

You've spoken; we've listened. In support of offering gamers the freedom of choice, we're making changes to the Microsoft Store purchase experience by offering customers a simple way to instantly return digital products like games and apps through account.microsoft.com.

When a game or app leaves you wanting more, we're here to help. Self-service refunds on Xbox One and Windows 10 provide a quick, simple way of returning a digital product.

To request a self-service refund:
1. Navigate to account.microsoft.com and sign-in.
2. From the top menu bar, select Payment & billing > Order history.
3. Navigate to a purchased game or app, and select Request a refund.

Please note the below conditions for requesting a self-service refund:
• Games and apps are eligible for self-service refunds within 14 days of purchase if you have less than 2 hours of play time across all accounts.
• DLC, season passes, and add-ons are not eligible for self-service refunds.
• The game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund.
• You must wait for at least 1 day after the game or app's release before requesting a self-service refund.
• Certain Windows 10 apps may not be eligible for self-service refunds.
• Microsoft reserves the right to block access for users who abuse self-service refunds.
https://forums.xbox.com/en-AU/p/thread/9ee13220-3db8-45a5-85ab-1e859350b389 That's on the preview forum, so only insiders will be able to access that link.

Crazy that they'd come out with this without any fanfare.

Banned
Excellent stuff. Microsoft is doing all the little things right. This, game pass, Scorpio supersamplng all already released games at a system level, etc.

BigEmil

Has there ever been a more consumer-friendly platform holder?
Steam?

Surely not MS when they were the first one to charge you just to play online with a paywall (Xbox Live) since the 2000's. Then Sony and Nintendo joined them in 2010's.

Logash

Literally the only reason I hate buying digital on PS4. Good for Microsoft being consumer friendly. I don't use my Xbox often so this doesn't really affect me but props to them man. I hope Sony realizes how lame and anticonsumer their policy is

Oneself

Wow, good move. I do think 2 hours is too much though. I guess there's a limited amount right?
Otherwise it means a 2 hours demo of every games ever...

WaterAstro

To combat steam. Nothing to do with the console competition, so anyone hoping Sony or Nintendo will do the same, keep your expectations low.

This is great - I always loved this policy on Steam.

MS really does seem to be making a lot of great moves lately - now we just need them to show a commitment to delivering more unique games (and new IP). Hopefully E3 is really impressive.

Another reason for me to invest in Microsoft's ecosystem as i have purchased tons of digital games from them on 360 and XB1. This is great !

Sony and Nintendo, you turn...

Wow, good move. I do think 2 hours is too much though. I guess there's a limited amount right?
Otherwise it means a 2 hours demo of every games ever...

I'm fairly certain that they'd flag your account eventually if you just bought every game that came out and then refunded it.

Kadin

Think this would have been enough time for all those who purchased Halo:MCC at launch? Those issues were pretty much right out of the gate, right?

King_Moc

Banned
2 wins for MS in 2 days. I'm Impressed. hopefully this pushes Sony & Nintendo towards doing the same.

Although the odds of Nintendo doing it are probably about the same as being struck by lightning on the same day you win the lottery.

Uraizen

Banned
Pleased about the 2 hour limit aswell, I may even buy some games I normally wouldn't have to try out.
Yes I know I'm abusing it :(

See, this is one of the ideas behind the refund system on Valve.

I think MS needs to clarify what is and isn't considered abuse.

• The game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund.

Eh, I don't like this one. You should be able to cancel a pre-order or any game without having to download 40GB+ first.

A company that is selling well won't do shit to better its service, MS is losing ground so they are trying to get people back. If MS would be on top, trust me they would not be this generous. But competition is good, Sony needs to get their shit together or i will be switching sides when Scorpio comes. Xbox owners are getting lots of good stuff.

JohnTH

People are saying Nintendo would never do this, but go to any product page in Nintendo of Europe's website and you'll see a form to request a refund for content bought in their eShop. In fact, they've been the only gaming company to allow refunds under the EU Right to Withdrawal.

Sony makes you waive that right before completing a purchase on the PlayStation Store, for instance.

Top Bottom