• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

Blueblur1

Sounds like someone could buy & download the game, go offline & complete the game & delete the game/save data, and then request get a refund?

Edit: As long as its with 14 days of course.

A company that is selling well won't do shit to better its service
Steam wasn't selling well? That's the origin of this.

Stop making excuses. It is inevitable that Sony and others will follow suit.

Steam were not the first to do this in the PC space.

They are, however, the trend-setters. The reason it's a wide practice is because Steam adopted it. Simple as that.

eg, Apple didn't do the MP3 player first, but they set the standard.

Spade

Think this would have been enough time for all those who purchased Halo:MCC at launch? Those issues were pretty much right out of the gate, right?
Was just joking about this with a friend. They would never obviously do that... but it would be funny imo

Good to MS making this happen and following in the footsteps of Steam. Now if Sony and Nintendo can follow, then gaming should be a lot better experience, from a buying standpoint.

Lmao I doubt Sony will be able to do this, as they don't even appear to have system level game time tracking, unlike MS and Steam.

Good job MS.

A company that is selling well won't do shit to better its service, MS is losing ground so they are trying to get people back. If MS would be on top, trust me they would not be this generous. But competition is good, Sony needs to get their shit together or i will be switching sides when Scorpio comes. Xbox owners are getting lots of good stuff.
lol

Montresor

Microsoft is truly #4theplayers.

They're the pro-consumer console manufacturer this gen. Who would've thought after that initial reveal.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is this for every game sold on the Bone? Not just cross play titles that work on PC and Bone? If so, that's pretty great. It makes more sense if the latter because of the nature of PC gaming and its non standard hardware.

Majine

Banned
Good on them, I think their aim is a platform where gamers actually want to be as opposed to something your forced to go through to get to the games.

dex3108

Meanwhile at Sony when you ask for refund

S9eei.gif

Tigress

HI THERE SONY

Ha! Good luck. Sony still has the rep for showing why you are better off buying physical games than being at the whim of them being able to remove all your games (good luck if some one steals your card and buys a bunch of games from them. They won't refund you and they'll hold all the valid games you bought hostage by banning your account if you chargeback). And Sony so far being top dog has shown no inclination to care what MS is doing at all so I doubt they'll react to this either.

I'll be happy if they address the above problem. But honestly they are a very good IRL example of why I won't buy digital unless it is dirt cheap or the only way to get it (and usually I won't pay full price if that's the case). You don't own the games and they can very easily take them away from you for any reason they feel... or even if they go out of business and stop running their servers (until companies get rid of DRM requiring account verification that will always be the case). Most companies are pretty good about not having too many stories pop up that make people realize that (so that people trust them - too much in my opinion). Sony is the prime example of why it's bad.

Kadin

A company that is selling well won't do shit to better its service, MS is losing ground so they are trying to get people back. If MS would be on top, trust me they would not be this generous. But competition is good, Sony needs to get their shit together or i will be switching sides when Scorpio comes. Xbox owners are getting lots of good stuff.
So Steam wasn't doing well when they launched their refund policy? Or was that more to deal with policies in various countries?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Is this for every game sold on the Bone? Not just cross play titles that work on PC and Bone? If so, that's pretty great. It makes more sense if the latter because of the nature of PC gaming and its non standard hardware.

It's all content. They've always had the ability to refund digital purchases if you speak to a rep but now you can do it yourself.

HardRojo

Sony, ball's in your court now, come on.
It's nice to see Microsoft implementing all these things and putting the pressure on Sony. Nintendo still lives in their own bubble lol, but they'll get there in 6 years.

Floody

Nice, no reason this shouldn't be industry wide standard, so hopefully this move forces Sony's and Nintendo's hand, or makes someone force their hands.

SRTtoZ

Fantastic. Sony and Nintendo still in the dark ages. What this also tells me is MS is paying attention to Steam.

low-G

Good shit, next up Playstation and Nintendo hopefully. No reason this shouldn't be standard across all digital stores.

Pleased about the 2 hour limit aswell, I may even buy some games I normally wouldn't have to try out.
Yes I know I'm abusing it :(

You'll be lucky if Nintendo retains accounts with records of which purchases they make...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This will solve the problem of buying a game at full price and then seeing it go on sale the next week. (I've been there. lol)

So does that actually work? Say you buy a digital game one week then it is on sale the next, will MS actually allow you to repurchase the same game if you just returned it? That seems like something they would combat.

Top Bottom