• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

Oh snap! About half a year ago I stated that I thought this was their biggest issue and what they needed the most atm.

Exactly.

Thing is though, this is what MS are facing if they want to compete so they need to be all hands on deck with ironing out all of the kinks and adding features.

I would also like to draw attention to what I think is the worst problem of all and something that would benefit MS and us greatly if they fixed.

A proper refund system like steam. I know I and others have had no problems receiving refunds for FH3 while others have been denied. Thing is that I was told over the phone many times that this was my once a year refund credit. I only get one every year. That is insane with the state of their storefront and even some of their win 10 games like FH3 and Quantum break at launch.

MS, with a refund system like this you are just encouraging people to stay away from your store and not take any chances that they could just be throwing their money out the window. People need to know that they can get a refund if something goes wrong. Especially with the sorry state of the storefront.

This would be the best thing you could do to get people to stick with the win store in the long run while you get your storefront in line. It would definitely help to quell tempers a bit since we really have no idea how long it will take for you to fix all of this or if it even ever will be fixed.

Glad to see someone at MS is humble enough to learn from others like Steam who have done it right. Hopefully this trend continues.

King_Moc

Banned
Between cross-platform play, refunds, name changing and various other things Sony's court is full of balls that they still ignore.

Things are still weighted in Sony's favour here. They never tried to remove ownership, and just flat out have more good games.

Also, they have cross platform play, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Is the fact that I can't play XB1 games on the Vita supposed to be a strike mark against MS?

madjoki

Nice.

Still not as good as Steams, since Steam does allow DLC refunds.

So by that thought the EU forcing Valve's hand on refunds means that the EU is the real caretaker in the PC space.

Praise be!

It's common belief, but it's not true. EU requires only refunds for non-working games.

That's dope. I guess it saves them the call center support calls. Though not playing for more than 2 hours for the first week if it is a new release is going to be rough on many people.
I can see that annoying some people, but it's still better than no refund policy at all. It's more to protect people who buy something, then see it on sale the next day for like half off.

The real question will be if the funds refunded will be available immediately (unlikely) or sit as a "hold" that is then made available after a couple days (like Steam does).

I'm now more likely to buy myself some Xbox games at least now that I know I can refund.

MaulerX

Awesome! Just another nail on Gamestops coffin. This really should be industry wide though. Hats off to to Phil and Co.

Freeman76

Right now MS are not in my good books since that E3 disaster. However, this is genuinely a great move and I have regained a lot of faith in their motives with this.

tribal24

Banned
They also have been having to try to get players back since Phil took over (he took over after their huge blunder). Sure, they're not in as bad situation now but they still aren't top dog (where MS wishes to be).

I wish people would remember MS is not a generous company when they are top dog and are very much the kind of company to see what they can "get away with" when they are top dog and feel they have no competitors. Yeah, they are being good now and I wish they would have some influence on Sony but I think people are having very short memories on to how MS tends to operate in general.

MS aren't good guys. They just are when they have to be. I mean I'm sure you can argue no company is a good guy. But some companies at least try to keep up a rep of being a good guy (CDPR) in order to get loyalty. MS doesn't run that way. Their MO is to try to get away with as much as they can and then throw money at the problem when they find what consumers will "deal with" the hard way.

Exactly /Clap

competition is good, but it seems like every new thing about Microsoft is getting praised just because, there's always a cat h somewhere.

Lucifon

Megaton move, great to see another major platform adopting Steam's policy. Almost forces it to become the industry standard.

ironcreed

Banned
Game changer for real. Bravo.

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

deadlast

This too advance for SONY's back-end system, they haven't even figured out how to change handlers

Sony's relational database designer is not very good. The unique key that controls the titles in the PSN store is the license key for the region, thus it is tied to everyone's purchase. If they give you a refund, everyone would lose their digital copy.
I made this up. But based on past experiences with Sony, this is probably true.

Also, does this mean a no-disc model of the system is incoming?

Demoskinos

This forces Sony's hand I think. Otherwise it would look real bad for them. Just let me return Street Fighter 5,Dishonored 2 and No Man's Sky and we'll be square sony.

iiicon

Those two guys who bought the W10 version of Infinite Warfare must be pumped.

This is a good move. I would've used it last year when I bought the digital version of Forza Horizon 3, which I can't play on my PC (preferred platform) because some issue with the W10 Anniversary Update prevents me from updating.

Kayant

Between cross-platform play, refunds, name changing and various other things Sony's court is full of balls that they still ignore.
Isn't a blanket thing apart when Sony's current seeming of no cross-console play. It will still depend on a game to game basis if cross-play can be implemented when devs review each of the manufactures requirements and policies,

Name changing is more of a technically issue because of their backend then a policy issue like refunds and cross-play.
All those tasty auto renews tough... 😳

MUnited83

For you.

Credit where credit is due..

Origin had this before it was on Steam.

Still great to see it continued and hopefully it carries on to PS.
They had refunds for EA games, and EA games only. Steam has offered refunds on the entire library since the refund system has been introduced.
Steam were not the first to do this in the PC space.
They were the first to do it with the actuall full library, not just their own games.

spons

Gold Member
Right now MS are not in my good books since that E3 disaster. However, this is genuinely a great move and I have regained a lot of faith in their motives with this.

What disaster, exactly? Are you talking about that E3 conference from 4 years ago, or even the original announcement of the Xbox One? Shit, Sony got less crap from their 2006 conference.

Lee

This is great. I know they used to give one courtesy refund per player. I was able to get my money back for CoD Ghosts after playing a lot more than 2 hours just by saying I wasn't happy with the game, but then they refused to refund me for MCC down the line despite it being completely unplayable, stating that I had already used my one refund.

This is a better system, hands down. Nice work!

This forces Sony's hand I think. Otherwise it would look real bad for them. Just let me return Street Fighter 5,Dishonored 2 and No Man's Sky and we'll be square sony.

It forces their hand if it becomes a major selling point for MS. If people start buying xboxes over PlayStation's because of it. Things like this tend to be overblown around here in terms of market impact. Remains to be seen how much the general audience will really care about digital refunds, but either way it's a step in the right direction.

Bravo, Microsoft - the level of pro-consumerism coming out of them since the beginning of this generation is staggering, particularly considering where they started.

All eyes on you, Sony - someone should start a petition.

Ushay

Holy shit, that is awesome. And a big change for the digital model, one step closer to a digital alternative for everyone.

Top Bottom