• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

My question is like for Xbox . If you put the Xbox to sleep the game runs in the back, wonder if that counts towards the two hours. You could hate it and play 1.5 hours turn off the xbox to tend to your kid and then you can't return it? Guess we'll find out more down the road

ironcreed

Banned
All the times I have instantly regretted buying a game that I was stuck with because I could not get a refund via customer service. This is beyond a big deal.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My question is like for Xbox . If you put the Xbox to sleep the game runs in the back, wonder if that counts towards the two hours. You could hate it and play 1.5 hours turn off the xbox to tend to your kid and then you can't return it? Guess we'll find out more down the road

No way that would count towards game time.

bede-x

Backwards compatibility, refund service, hardware aimed at the core gamer.. Ok MS, you've convinced me to get Scorpio.

Shahed

Tbis is great news and props to Microsoft for doing this. The only slight issue I have is the fact it's necessary to download and launch the the thing first.

But still this is nice

This is incredible! Not entirely surprising given how open they were about allowing refunds already. Digital pre-orders allowed full refunds up until the day of release IIRC. In most cases, you were also allowed to request a refund for games you didn't start playing yet. This only makes that better!

sangreal

If it's like the EA access trials, I would make sure you manually quit any games you may want to return

Tbis is great news and props to Microsoft for doing this. The only slight issue I have is the fact it's necessary to download and launch the the thing first.

But still this is nice

You shouldn't have any problems getting a refund in that case, it just won't work through the self service portal for whatever reason. You can get refunds through support today

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think that counts​. I've left games in sleep mode and they don't say I've played hundreds of hours.

Right now MS are not in my good books since that E3 disaster. However, this is genuinely a great move and I have regained a lot of faith in their motives with this.

You seriously held a four year vendetta against MS?

That's some petty ass shit my dude. Might be time to re-evaluate some shit.

I hope Nintendo and Sony follow.

Nintendo

giphy.gif

Gowans

Great news! Easy way to cancel preorders too.

And I guess for the bigger refunds outside of the it's still xbox support as normal!

Still so happy they refunded me a $75 game a year after purchasing 👍

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Now I just need games to refund.

Nah for real, good on MS. Hopefully this sets a decent starting point for all three next gen.

It shouldn't count like that. I've put my console into sleep mode while playing EA Access trials and it doesn't count against my 10 hours of playtime.

icespide

Banned
You seriously held a four year vendetta against MS?

That's some petty ass shit my dude. Might be time to re-evaluate some shit.

I mean...what they tried to do originally with the Xbox One was pretty shitty. I would not be surprised at all if some people swore off MS forever because of it

It forces their hand if it becomes a major selling point for MS. If people start buying xboxes over PlayStation's because of it. Things like this tend to be overblown around here in terms of market impact. Remains to be seen how much the general audience will really care about digital refunds, but either way it's a step in the right direction.

This is important. I think a lot of people oversell features that just aren't important to the average person, remember the 4K Blu-ray thread where people on here were, seemingly, livid the PS4 Pro didn't have it, but the XB1S does? The public doesn't care because they don't even care about the Pro and they don't care about 4K Blu-ray when everything is streaming now.

GTSweet

Neo Member
If it's like the EA access trials, I would make sure you manually quit any games you may want to return

You shouldn't have any problems getting a refund in that case, it just won't work through the self service portal for whatever reason. You can get refunds through support today

This is true. I accidentally lose 3 hours of my Madden 17 trial because I didn't quit out when I switched to Netflix.

Just have to be careful if you're even considering refunding with your time/game management.

Gestault

This is awesome. Such a good marketplace.

DLC, season passes, and add-ons are not eligible for self-service refunds.

I'm positive this limitation is because there's no simple way to track usage of the core game vs. DLC. It's a notable limitation, but understandable.

SRTtoZ

EA Access, Play Anywhere, Game Pass, Backwards Compat, Self Refund, Keeps on going.

Yea I certainly like the way MS is going even though I'm not their core audience as I mainly PC game but this shows me MS is willing to change for the better and that hopefully means improving their PC storefront.

Fisty

Damn! Sony better be taking notes, this is huge. Good job on MS here, took way too long for this to get rolling on consoles

hemo memo

Fantastic. So you don't have to fight customer service for something like NMS fiasco and you can just simply ask for a refund.

Morts

This is great. I really hope Sony follows suit.

Next: let us price-match retail by holding a Best Buy ad in front of your Kinect.

Their loss.

That's kinda the point though. I doubt most of those people feel a loss.

I'm sorta in the same boat. All these features are cool. And I don't feel like there's been any loss.

As these are corporations, the idea of calling it a "vendetta" seems hilarious to me. It's consumer transactions and I'm not sure why being a self-interested consumer is a bad thing.

A necessary move if they want more people to embrace digital, and move away from physical. Their customer support has always been very good, adding this feature just makes me more comfortable being part of their ecosystem.

Top Bottom