• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

Izuna

Banned
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

I literally cannot believe this is happening. There have been at least a few instances where I wish this were possible.

Bl@de

Great. Finally another plattform next to Steam with self-service refunds. As somebody who is 100% digital on Xbox One I welcome this move. Hope others follow.

Although Steam still is superior (4h of playtime^^)

Shiggy

People are saying Nintendo would never do this, but go to any product page in Nintendo of Europe's website and you'll see a form to request a refund for content bought in their eShop. In fact, they've been the only gaming company to allow refunds under the EU Right to Withdrawal.

Not really:
The cancellation right expires earlier in respect of the contracts listed below:
contracts for the supply of digital content: where we supply digital content not on a tangible medium, the cancellation right expires if we have begun our supply of the digital content after you have expressly consented that we can begin the supply before the cancellation period ends, and you have acknowledged that you lose your right to cancel the contract in this circumstance;

Holy shit. This is big news. Great job MS.

May even pick up an Xbox version of a game over Playstation because of it. Hopefully Sony will be forced to follow suit.

Floody

Sounds like someone could buy & download the game, go offline & complete the game & delete the game/save data, and then request get a refund?

Edit: As long as its with 14 days of course.

They can probably check achievements and see you've beat the game and tell you no.

Theorry

Microsoft is truly #4theplayers.

They're the pro-consumer console manufacturer this gen. Who would've thought after that initial reveal.

Spencer his mindset has been way different really. Sure he needs to make money but thinks the route of giving more value and great features invests people in the ecosystem and in the long term that probably gives more profit then to nickle and dime.

This is amazing. I've wasted so much money buying games on psn I ended up hating and not playing for more than an hour. Sony needs to follow suit but as of now Microsoft is doing lots to make me want their console.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
lol @ Steam getting all the credit. (though I suppose given the enormity of the service that's probably right)

Good on MS, didn't think they'd do something like this, or any of the big three for that matter.

So does that actually work? Say you buy a digital game one week then it is on sale the next, will MS actually allow you to repurchase the same game if you just returned it? That seems like something they would combat.

I've heard stories of people calling customer service with this same issue and getting a refund, so I don't see why not.

Can you do self-service "cancel my xbox gold account" these days? I remember being shocked at how difficult that was back in the day.

But this is nice. It increases my chances of getting an Xbox again. Tho that means that soon I may be paying PS Plus, Xbox Gold, and Nintendo monthly subs :-(

Microsoft reads my posts!

This is an excellent decision for gamers and QA testers everywhere.
I was already buying digital games at reasonable prices but this makes me more likely to take risks on new releases.... hopefully at reasonable prices.

dex3108

Between cross-platform play, refunds, name changing and various other things Sony's court is full of balls that they still ignore.

tennis-balls.jpg

People saying Sony is next should remember you're still stuck with your psn name.
Isn't that just a result of how they built PSN, though? I always heard it was so deeply entwined within the system, changing names would be extremely complex.

Not offering refunds is a simple policy switch. One that they'll likely now make, since Microsoft is forcing their hand on the issue.

lol @ Steam getting all the credit.

Good on MS, didn't think they'd do something like this, or any of the big three for that matter.

If manufacturers and publishers are serious about digital distribution, they have to do this. I sure as shit won't jump 100% on digital distribution without more consumer rights and protections and I'd imagine I'm not the only one.

Ruff

Does the system count installation time as "time played" anyway, since in a lot of cases the game is launched during it.

ps3ud0

Great news - anything for the consumer is always a massive plus, just wish things like this were marketed more as it's very important for us to keep the industry honest and reward the platforms that make such decisions.

ps3ud0 8)

So does that actually work? Say you buy a digital game one week then it is on sale the next, will MS actually allow you to repurchase the same game if you just returned it? That seems like something they would combat.
On Steam they encourage using the refund feature for cases like this. So long as you haven't played more than 2 hours you're good.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Between cross-platform play, refunds, name changing and various other things Sony's court is full of balls that they still ignore.

Are you expecting PC/PS4 or do you not count the cross-platform/remote play they have going now?

On Steam they encourage using the refund feature for cases like this. So long as you haven't played more than 2 hours you're good.

That's dope. I guess it saves them the call center support calls. Though not playing for more than 2 hours for the first week if it is a new release is going to be rough on many people.

Izuna

Banned
Can you do self-service "cancel my xbox gold account" these days? I remember being shocked at how difficult that was back in the day.

But this is nice. It increases my chances of getting an Xbox again. Tho that means that soon I may be paying PS Plus, Xbox Gold, and Nintendo monthly subs :-(

It's super easy.

I have been buying the £1 a month Gold offer for the past few months, and immediately cancelling...

I honestly think there's a bug, where you become eligible again if you use a trial code.

That's good to hear, i have used it a few times on Steam and other than the two hour limit (which can be flexible if you have good enough reason and speak to support) i haven't had an issue with it.

Awesome news, will certainly use this during sales and such

Off topic - I went to go and try to refund my Yooka Laylee just now since I'm in one of the preview tiers, the option wasn't available but I was refunded by support in about 15 minutes. I "think" I played for about 2 hours.

I also think as well, like Microsoft, if Sony do this, don't make a big deal of it. We're literally finding out about this via an announcement on the Store front. This isn't something to shoot at for PR, it's customer service.

tribal24

Banned

tennis-balls.jpg

cross platform play doesn't count theres no benefit to Sony for allowing it to happen with other consoles. Refunds though everyone needs to get on that especially Nintendo.

Tigress

They really have done everything right in hardware and services since Phil took over.

They also have been having to try to get players back since Phil took over (he took over after their huge blunder). Sure, they're not in as bad situation now but they still aren't top dog (where MS wishes to be).

I wish people would remember MS is not a generous company when they are top dog and are very much the kind of company to see what they can "get away with" when they are top dog and feel they have no competitors. Yeah, they are being good now and I wish they would have some influence on Sony but I think people are having very short memories on to how MS tends to operate in general.

MS aren't good guys. They just are when they have to be. I mean I'm sure you can argue no company is a good guy. But some companies at least try to keep up a rep of being a good guy (CDPR) in order to get loyalty. MS doesn't run that way. Their MO is to try to get away with as much as they can and then throw money at the problem when they find what consumers will "deal with" the hard way.

dex3108

Are you expecting PC/PS4 or do you not count the cross-platform/remote play they have going now?

Cross-platform as between X1 and PS4. MS said that they are in, Sony ignored that and Rocket League devs had everything ready they just needed "Go" from Sony. PC/PS4 already exist.

cross platform play doesn't count theres no benefit to Sony for allowing it to happen with other consoles. Refunds though everyone needs to get on that especially Nintendo.

Refunds don't benefit MS or Valve because they need to deal with lots of things to make them work for everybody (publishers/devs/customers/them).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

For several years now. They even refund your money if you cancel shortly after subbing. Can also delete your credit card from their system.

Top Bottom