• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's E3 conference date is Monday, June 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the 24 hour online thing. So many people mention it, but has anything been said about what exactly happens if say, you leave it unconnected the internet for two days and then connect it again? What could possibly happen? It's so weird.

Miles X

I don't understand the 24 hour online thing. So many people mention it, but has anything been said about what exactly happens if say, you leave it unconnected the internet for two days and then connect it again? What could possibly happen? It's so weird.

Provided you connect nothing happens, but if you try to play a game after being unconnected to the net for 24 hour it'll be unplayable and prompt you to connect.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

After 24 hours of being offline, you need to reconnect to regain access to your content

You don't have to connect every single day like a chore

If your Xbox 360 currently connects to the Internet every time you turn it on, and has done so over the course of time you owned it... You won't even notice its even there

Izick

They sounded like uninformed fanboys. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Did I mention terrible. I am looking forward to E3 but not because of these guys...

BVbIEUX.png

They sounded like uninformed fanboys. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Did I mention terrible. I am looking forward to E3 but not because of these guys...

I'm surprised you think that way. That was like the most unbiased response I've seen. I'm sure they're fans of Xbox, so they gotta have hope and create hype for the fun of it.

Provided you connect nothing happens, but if you try to play a game after being unconnected to the net for 24 hour it'll be unplayable and prompt you to connect.

After 24 hours of being offline, you need to reconnect to regain access to your content

You don't have to connect every single day like a chore

If your Xbox 360 currently connects to the Internet every time you turn it on, and has done so over the course of time you owned it... You won't even notice its even there

Well then, it's really not a big deal at all, unless your internet goes out that often. However; does this mean that someone without any internet connection at all can play the system? I feel like you would be able to play it without a connection, since you haven't been connected at all before and there has been no 24 period let alone .000001 hours of online time at all. Then there's the scenario that you don't have any internet, but go to a friends house to connect and come back from your vacation days later to find out that you may not be able to play. These questions probably can't be answered right now, so there's much more to say in this regard and room for good stuff to come out of it somehow.

Izick

They're not fanboys, they just don't just get caught up in hyperbole. Watch their other stuff (or that whole video for a start). They review and talk about all games and platforms.

Miles X

This could possibly be the dumbest thing ever posted on gaf but here goes.

Would it not be possible for MS to add 3G to every X1 which could only be used for getting it online to check for authentication every 24 hours, you couldn't use it to play games, browse marketplace ect, just to simply offer every X1 customer the option of used games without having to worry about online?

Izick

Would it not be possible for MS to add 3G to every X1 which could only be used for getting it online to check for authentication every 24 hours, you couldn't use it to play games, browse marketplace ect, just to simply offer every X1 customer the option of used games without having to worry about online?

Not that farfetched, but it was debunked in an interview by Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb.

http://v.giantbomb.com/podcast/Xbox...ft's_Albert_Penello-05-21-2013-3971723129.mp3

(Sorry, I don't know the time-code.)

I don't usually go on Giant Bomb that much, but I remembered this specifically because this idea/rumor came up somewhere else and this interview was linked.

DopeyFish

I'm surprised you think that way. That was like the most unbiased response I've seen. I'm sure they're fans of Xbox, so they gotta have hope and create hype for the fun of it.

Well then, it's really not a big deal at all, unless your internet goes out that often. However; does this mean that someone without any internet connection at all can play the system? I feel like you would be able to play it without a connection, since you haven't been connected at all before and there has been no 24 period let alone .000001 hours of online time at all. Then there's the scenario that you don't have any internet, but go to a friends house to connect and come back from your vacation days later to find out that you may not be able to play. These questions probably can't be answered right now, so there's much more to say in this regard and room for good stuff to come out of it somehow.

I'm fairly certain you will require an Internet connection. Beyond using your mobile phone as a hot spot, we are unsure if smart glass app would act as a proxy between the two as of yet.

Microsoft is taking the bet considering their XBL usage has increased from 10% of the install base (in 2004) to 63% of the user base right now. (Assuming all 77 million sold are in use)

Based off the limited info we have right now, I really don't understand the need for a 24 hour check. Why would you need the system to check in if the games have to be activated/verified as legit through xbox live?

Izick

Based off the limited info we have right now, I really don't understand the need for a 24 hour check. Why would you need the system to check in if the games have to be activated/verified as legit through xbox live?

Probably due to the used-game verification stuff. Since it rips it to your drive, if you go and trade in your game then you could still play that game in theory until you log into live. Having a mandatory-check means that you will have to eventually log into live (or not have access to the game), and thus it will check the license stuff.

DopeyFish

Because Xbox is now like steam

You buy a game, put it in and its installed to the hard drive and assigned to your account

You now no longer need a disc.

You could delete the game and re download it from Xbox live

The reason for the 24 hour check is piracy

If you were able to go offline forever, then use another console... You could have two active copies of the game forever. Some people keep saying use a disc to verify... But if the game contains a QR-like code for your license, that means its highly likely Microsoft wants to avoid using the disc serial as verification as it can be faked... And would blow the doors wide open for piracy

Izick

The only reason they didn't go with a box with no disc-drive I'm guessing is because they thought Blu-Ray movies and DVD's were still too big of a thing to lose out on.

That's not dumb. But I don't think they would do it.

Miles X

The only reason they didn't go with a box with no disc-drive I'm guessing is because they thought Blu-Ray movies and DVD's were still too big of a thing to lose out on.

Oh man you just made me think, how awesome would it be if you could lend your digitally bought game to up to 3 friends (not at same time), whilst you're lending it out it's unplayable on your system (like it would if it were a psychical copy.)

That could totally push people to buying digital instead of psychical.

They won't do this because of lost profits. But say you could lend the game out for an hour, as like a trial, and then you're given the option at the end of the hour to buy the game with a discount of like 10%.

DopeyFish

That and 50 GB over Internet is still a little crazy as well as retailers are important

FTTH is going to be ramping up huge across Europe and North America and it has already begun in Asia so while its not there yet, Microsoft knows they have to be ready for it.

Just like broadband changed gaming forever, FTTH will too. Can't argue with over 20 MB/s with <5ms pings, great for cloud gaming of all types

Izick

Oh man you just made me think, how awesome would it be if you could lend your digitally bought game to up to 3 friends (not at same time), whilst you're lending it out it's unplayable on your system (like it would if it were a psychical copy.)

That could totally push people to buying digital instead of psychical.

Yes! I would totally be down for that. There are kind of back-ass ways to do that on the PS360, but it would be nice if they like legitimized it and said that the license could be shared within X number of people, although it couldn't be used at the same time as you said.

That and 50 GB over Internet is still a little crazy as well as retailers are important

FTTH is going to be ramping up huge across Europe and North America and it has already begun in Asia

Yeah, those are good reasons as well. I still would bet that we see a disc-less version of the Xbox One Slim or whatever they call it sometime down the line in like 2016 or something.

FTTH is going to be ramping up huge across Europe and North America and it has already begun in Asia so while its not there yet, Microsoft knows they have to be ready for it.

Just like broadband changed gaming forever, FTTH will too. Can't argue with over 20 MB/s with <5ms pings, great for cloud gaming of all types

Don't bet on this happening, especially in the US.

Because of expenses?

The expense isn't exorbitant . Amazon does it.

I don't think for a second Microsoft would do it, though. Any DRM that requires a daily, weekly, monthly connection is just stupid and unnecessary imo. Why not just copy Steam's offline mode? Every game I buy on Steam requires a one time authentication, after that I can choose to play it offline on that computer forever. Why take it beyond that? Just seems needlessly anti-consumer to me.

I don't understand why they don't consider it an option then, at least as an accessory.

I think if they sold it as an accessory, they'd make the buyer cover the cost of the 3G. Microsoft has never struck me to be the giving sort. You could be onto something that would work for people with spotty or no Internet access though. I know you Microsoft guys are dealing with a lot of negative vibes lately, and I don't mean to add to them, but I just don't think Microsoft cares. I think they only value the customer that has the good, constant connection. The other customer isn't a large enough source of revenue. Microsoft Games thinks like a business, not like a gamer.

Miles X

I think if they sold it as an accessory, they'd make the buyer cover the cost of the 3G. Microsoft has never struck me to be the giving sort. You could be onto something that would work for people with spotty or no Internet access though.

MS should be footing the bill, but then you're right this is MS. I hope so as it'd more or less eliminate the online problem for people.

So, someone mentioned a few pages back that the top-right block and the one below it could be Ryse. I didn't think the top-right one was, because it didn't have a similar aesthetic, but I kept looking over the image and found this interesting:

WthKgC4.png

I still don't think they'd use one game for two different blocks, so could the game below be Fable 4? Or maybe could the top-right game just be another game with a sword and shield? I mean that's not really out of the question, but I thought it was a funny coincidence.

I don't think this is Ryse,art style not match

clav

oh, it's going to happen everywhere.

the long term maintenance savings are going to ensure it happens

You mean wireless right?

I disagree that FTTH is going to happen everywhere. Even President Obama admitted the United States is going to improve via wireless infrastructure. The political lobbying has the politicians by the balls.

Axonometri

So, someone mentioned a few pages back that the top-right block and the one below it could be Ryse. I didn't think the top-right one was, because it didn't have a similar aesthetic, but I kept looking over the image and found this interesting:

WthKgC4.png

I still don't think they'd use one game for two different blocks, so could the game below be Fable 4? Or maybe could the top-right game just be another game with a sword and shield? I mean that's not really out of the question, but I thought it was a funny coincidence.
Looks like Link is mashed up with Journey to me.

clav

How does amazon do it with their 3G version of the Kindle then? Its a free connection with those.

Probably some agreement with AT&T/Verizon to share access and in return give them a backbone for the communications infrastructure since Amazon powers 1% of the internet in the world.

WthKgC4.png

It looks more like a japanese game to me (asian style).

clav

So is Microsoft implying the proposition of the Xbox Gold subscription will expand or are they just going to add another tier?

Xbox is in everything now since they axed the Zune brand name (RIP).

Xbox Music
Xbox Video

These services would be a nice bonus if it were included in the current sub. The easy answer is no, and they would do the later.

WthKgC4.png

I don't think this is for Ryse, for one thing the silhouette has a hole in his neck. I didn't notice it at first until took a closer look, but there is light shining through his neck-hole. Do we know any one with a neck-hole? Or is this just a case of a bad artist?

I don't think this is for Ryse, for one thing the silhouette has a hole in his neck. I didn't notice it at first until took a closer look, but there is light shining through his neck-hole. Do we know any one with a neck-hole? Or is this just a case of a bad artist?

It is weird but it reminds me to:

El-Shaddai-Ascension-Of-The-Metatron-360-PS3-Screenshot-11largefull.jpg

So is Microsoft implying the proposition of the Xbox Gold subscription will expand or are they just going to add another tier?

They will provide dedicated servers for all multiplayer games.

Miles X

It's not ryse, look at the legs, that thing isn't remotely human.

Unless he's been missing leg day.

Axonometri

The look is far too CG Animation style to even consider it to be Ryse.

Rumba

Banned

Xbox One requires an internet connection to work (lulz), and it will require Kinect to be connected for it to work as well (another lulz. good luck if your little kid/brother/pet decides to break your kinect).

FordGTGuy

Banned
Whatever Microsoft is cooking, Kinect is not the end of "gimmicks" coming to the Xbox One.

Those leaked slides last year mentioned an Occulus Rift type device named Fortaleza.

I'm fine with it. New experiences.

Google Glasses is no different in terms of talking to your device.

Microsoft always has R&D projects like this going.

Xbox One requires an internet connection to work (lulz), and it will require Kinect to be connected for it to work as well (another lulz. good luck if your little kid/brother/pet decides to break your kinect).

If your kinect is setup properly they wouldn't be able to, for most setups they would have to destroy your TV before even getting to the kinect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom