• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy Announced [Update: PAX East off-screen video, Q&A]

Saty

~3 minute off-screen youtube video (PAX East 2013)

Might & Magic X: Legacy Q&A (Part 1)

-----

Coming this year for PC.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Ise3lFST4&feature=youtu.be

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - March 21, 2013 - Today, Ubisoft announced Might & Magic® X Legacy, just in time to showcase the game at PAX East. Developed by Limbic Entertainment, a team of devoted Might & Magic fans, Might & Magic® X Legacy brings a new chapter to the Might & Magic RPG series, with both the unique core formula and a new set of improved and fine-tuned features.

In the wake of the spectacular events in Might & Magic® Heroes® VI, you will play in a party of four adventurers entangled in intrigue and political machinations unfolding in and around Karthal. The city, on the verge of secession, is prey to competing factions vying for its control. Your actions will determine the fate of the city. Might & Magic X Legacy is an authentic solo experience in the classic first-person RPG genre. Create and lead your group into an exciting world and battle powerful mythical creatures while collecting ancient magical treasures. Through a turn-based gameplay system, defeat creatures and bosses to accomplish unique quests and make your way through dangerous dungeons, cities and labyrinths full of traps. Dive into vintage Might & Magic and play old school, new rules!

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/140096/might-magic-x-legacy-announced

Soviet

Banned
Looks like tablet crap.

And judging by Limbic Entertainment experience, it will be a tablet crap.

But I want to believe.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That actually looks like Might & Magic... complete with Xeen era tile based movement!?

Hype levels set to maximum.

Durante

Name one rehash that has been released already and was actually good and true to the original games.
Have there been any released? I can only think of Grimrock as a spiritual sequel to Dungeon Master, and that was pretty damn amazing.

It seems the wave is just starting. Anyway, I expect Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, P:E and Torment to be good and true to the original games. This could be good as well, or it could suck. In either case, there is now no doubt about a revival of sorts happening, and even big publishers paying attention.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Artwork looks like piss.
Nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia is not a good sign.
Other than that, hype? I guess?

SuomiDude

Damn, I was hoping for M&M VI,VII,VIII style gameplay, this seems to go even further back... haven't played any of the older M&Ms, but I'll still keep an eye on this one.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Enemy models appear to be lifted straight from HoMM6.
wYqGd6I.jpg

Miletius

Publishers paying attention to the RPG kickstarter wave. Hopefully they also set their budgets and expectations in check to that level though. I'd pay for this, but hopefully they aren't budgeting 10M and expecting to make back that kind of bank.

Nairume

Banned
Not going to lie, I was both expecting and hoping that the game would mechanically play like M&M6 and up because it'd have been an easier sell to the market.

Them going for something closer to the Xeen games is actually really cool and ballsy.

V_Ben

Banned
Wow, have to give them props for making something that looks very old school. By all rights, people should have been nervous when this was teased. Hope the PAX impressions are positive!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Enemy models appear to be lifted straight from HoMM6.
No reason not to. Possibly stupid not to, even. Hopefully they put the effort in the rest of the game, but using these models sure helps reduce dev costs, and they look fine anyway. But yeah, I'm not getting hyped yet, they need more than turns and grids.

marrec

Banned
Oh god guys. I'm hyperventilating.

M&M 1-6 are my among my favorite RPGs ever.

This game was #2 on my 'Want to be announced' wishlist.

I'm fucking Hype.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This is obviously not going to be a big budget game, so that seems like an easy way to save time/money. The models in HOMM6 looked pretty good.

I'm not saying it's bad, but it should give us a rough idea of the budget going into this.

marrec

Banned
I'm not saying it's bad, but it should give us a rough idea of the budget going into this.

It's a turn-based old school crawler, what kind of budget do we need?

Grimrock was fantastic and I don't imagine it had a higher budget than M&MX will have.

Hobbun

Hmm, not sure what to think of this. I loved MM6 & 7. But then I've never played anything before that.

I absolutely love that it's turn-based, but I have caution just for the fact is pre-MM6 is something I've never played.

In what ways was pre-MM6 different? Did it have the same skill system? The different guilds (Body, Mind, Magic)? If it had the skills, were there the basic, intermediate and master levels?

I just wish it was more based on MM6 and above (besides IX) because I know what those were and loved them.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
In what ways was pre-MM6 different? Did it have the same skill system?
They were... how do I put it, very similar. The franchise didn't experience a tremendous mechanics change until 9 and we all know what 9 is.
The skills were simplier, the inventory was a list and the movement was on a grid, but doesn't play all that differently.

marrec

Banned
They were... how do I put it, very similar. The franchise didn't experience a tremendous mechanics change until 9 and we all know what 9 is.
The skills were simplier, the inventory was a list and the movement was on a grid, but doesn't play all that differently.

I want to say the previous ones had a larger explorable area, but that could be because I mapped the previous ones out by hand. 1-5 also had selectable races, unlike 6.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm reserving my judgment until I've seen the monetization model (fuck this industry that this might even be a problem).

Hobbun

In what ways was it 'simpler'? If you are able to explain. Did it have the different skill levels? (Basic, Intermediate, Master)? And limited in spell level by skill level?

I don't mind them going legacy for pre-MM6, but I hope they keep some of the new aspects that I felt was very popular in MM6-8. Like having the visual inventory for one (not a list).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I want to say the previous ones had a larger explorable area, but that could be because I mapped the previous ones out by hand. 1-5 also had selectable races, unlike 6.

7 had selectable races.
8 merged races and classes together.
Whether or not 1-5 were really bigger I find hard to say, 6 definitely felt gigantic when I played it.

marrec

Banned
7 had selectable races.
8 merged races and classes together.
Whether or not 1-5 were really bigger I find hard to say, 6 definitely felt gigantic when I played it.

I replayed both 6 and 4 recently and 4 felt bigger, but I have no way of comparing actual size since 4 is grid based.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
In what ways was it 'simpler'? If you are able to explain. Did it have the different skill levels? (Basic, Intermediate, Master)? And limited in spell level by skill level?

I don't mind them going legacy for pre-MM6, but I hope they keep some of the new aspects that I felt was very popular in MM6-8. Like having the visual inventory for one (not a list).
Pretty much everything you mentioned is absent.

Top Bottom