• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy Announced [Update: PAX East off-screen video, Q&A]

Any word on DRM for this? Is it going to be an "authentic solo experience" that requires you to log on to uplay like a mmo?

You have to authenticate with uplay, but otherwise you should be good.

on an unrelated note, I really like that box art. It looks so cheesy. :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This cannot be true - the walking alongside a specific path only even in "open" areas. I refuse to believe it.

It makes no sense at all. It must have been either that the demo was thrown together on short notice so they had to put smoke and mirrors limits on stuff because there wasn't enough content built, or the guy who saw the preview didn't understand what was happening.

The fact that he mentioned Grimrock shows that he is familiar with grid-based movement, so I'm really hoping it's the former.

larvi

You have to authenticate with uplay, but otherwise you should be good.

Thanks, will wait for the GoG version then as I don't care for DRM that requires a server being up on the other side. Too bad they didn't go old school with a code wheel or manual paragraph lookup for the DRM.

Thanks, will wait for the GoG version then as I don't care for DRM that requires a server being up on the other side. Too bad they didn't go old school with a code wheel or manual paragraph lookup for the DRM.

Thought it was an ubisoft corp. policy that their games have to have uplay? I remember reading that in one of the interviews they had with the M&MX dev. Something about they had to put it in because the suits said so, but it's unintrusive.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Thought it was an ubisoft corp. policy that their games have to have uplay? I remember reading that in one of the interviews they had with the M&MX dev. Something about they had to put it in because the suits said so, but it's unintrusive.

Maybe he means wait 20 years for it to be considered a classic and re-released on GOG.

SparkTR

Unless gog offers UPlay there won't be a gog version. The DRM is limited to a one time activation, and after than you can play offline. You need to download the game anyway, so it's on the same level as Steam and thus pretty mild.

KePoW

Banned

Uhh UPlay works exactly like Steam, it's nothing like always-on DRM/MMO. So don't say it's like a MMO.

Now if you're saying you have something against how Steam works too, then that's your loss I guess.

garath

damn. I'm so interested in this. I loved the older M&M games. Hunting down grandmaster skill trainers etc. Fond memories.

The preview is scary but we'll see. The fact that it's getting compared to Xeen is a good sign... right?

larvi

but homm5 never had uplay though right?

No, I believe it had Securerom originally. But I assume GoG got a license or permission to bypass the DRM in hoMM V or was given a DRM-free version by Ubi, why wouldn't the same be true for uplay titles in a few years?

KePoW

Banned
I was very hostile about LoG being in real time at first, but the combat actually worked exceptionally well for what they were trying to do.
Playing the game you can even start to realize and accept why they went that way, as you realize that there are even several puzzles built around "exploiting" that combat system.

People complaining too much about it being "a waltz simulator" are probably missing the point, in my opinion.

They did clearly design LoG's world around that combat style like you said.

However that doesn't mean everyone will like it better than Xeen-style combat. I'm definitely in the camp that liked M&M 3-5 a lot better overall than LoG.

But LoG was a good effort to make a grid dungeon crawler for these current times.

larvi

Uhh UPlay works exactly like Steam, it's nothing like always-on DRM/MMO. So don't say it's like a MMO.

Now if you're saying you have something against how Steam works too, then that's your loss I guess.

I realize that, but if New World Computing had a phone number to call or modem dialup for a one time activiation of the Xeen games none of us would be able to install those today either.

No, I believe it had Securerom originally. But I assume GoG got a license or permission to bypass the DRM in hoMM V or was given a DRM-free version by Ubi, why wouldn't the same be true for uplay titles in a few years?

Yeah, I suppose you never can tell. I mean, everything so far has pointed to Ubi going all in on UPlay, but then again it DID just get hacked...I mean, pretty much busted wide open.

I don't mind the "spammy" nature of Might and Magic combat. Combat in RPGs tends to be the most tedious, repetitive part of them anyway. The fun in M&M was always exploration and discovery.

Bedlam

What about the "on rails" rumor? Did they clarify any of that by now or do we still just assume that it'd be too stupid to be true?

If I remember correctly, in the interview with Rpgcodex they claimed the tutorial was railroaded but after that the game opens up and becomes as open-world as the Xeen games.

Thanks. Sounds alright if that is the case. However, I'll definitely wait a few days before buying to see what the community has to say.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
What about the "on rails" rumor? Did they clarify any of that by now or do we still just assume that it'd be too stupid to be true?

If I remember correctly, in the interview with Rpgcodex they claimed the tutorial was railroaded but after that the game opens up and becomes as open-world as the Xeen games.

I wish we'd get some more legit info about the game. A post on the official site about what their handpicked VIP people think about the game is pretty useless.

They put out a little more info about the game world:

might-and-magic-the-map_87999.png

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/mightandmagicx-legacy/en-GB/world/index.aspx

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow there's a lot to explore! The map looks about the size of Skyrim or Oblivion. With what little fanfare there's been I was thinking this would be kind of a small game.

Compared to past M&M games it's pretty tiny. The old ones let you explore the entire planet, deserts, moutains, snowy regions, forests, swamps, the whole shebang.

Having grown up with these games, I'm probably in the minority that would love to have this on a tablet. I actually really like Avernum and gemRB classics on the go.

Chrysalis

Wow there's a lot to explore! The map looks about the size of Skyrim or Oblivion. With what little fanfare there's been I was thinking this would be kind of a small game.

Actually, it looks pretty small to me- nowhere near Skyrim. It seems possible there's just that one city in the center- especially since the plot blurb says something about deciding the fate of a city.

Compared to past M&M games it's pretty tiny. The old ones let you explore the entire planet, deserts, moutains, snowy regions, forests, swamps, the whole shebang.

Eh, there's no way to tell how big or small it is. It's just a generic map with a tower in the middle.

I guess the game wasn't shown at E3 since there hasn't been any new info about it, but at least they're updating the website and trickling some info out there.

It's cool that they're trying to make it old school and solicit opinions and advice from the fans.

The main components of the game were shaped together with Ubisoft, which are:
- Control party
- Explore world
- Fight enemies
- Epic adventure

Plus, after researching and analysing lots of fan comments, we added the following aspects:
- Tier-based skill system
- Embedding the epic adventure in a nice story line
- Non-linear world/dungeons
- Turn based fight system

What made previous Might & Magic RPGs so great?

And which of the features that many fans liked so much will make it into MMX? Here are some examples:
- Ambience & atmosphere in a free open world
- Party management
- Interacting with the environment
- “Who will?” questions
- Riddles

Tarsul

RIDDLES!!

What i remember most fondly about M&M 4-5 are exactly the riddles, the party creation (including rolling and deciding what classes) and the permanent drinks. And of course the really open world including having to find trainers for being able to climb/swim etc.

Can't wait to see if they nail it.

So RPS posted a video
(I didn't find a dedicated new topic and this topic doesn't' mention it).

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_S9J0fYYU
RPS entry:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/apparently-weve-got-the-might-magic-x-trailer-first/

I read the RPS article, and it said apparently that early adopters can get the first part of the game on Monday?! I mean, I wouldn't be able to play for a couple weeks anyway due to life being a pain, but this is the first I've heard of any incentives, or even of having a firm release date.

Damaniel

Banned
After seeing the new trailer, I officially want this now. MMVI is still one of my favorite games of all time, and I figure that this one at least can't possibly be worse than IX was.

I'm normally not a fan of early access (I prefer to play games that are actually complete), but if they're really letting people try it out on Monday, I might have to give it a shot.

Maybe it is late and I'm just being dense, but... How does one become an early adopter? Only through UPlay? It'll be available on other services, won't it, eventually?

nonadventurer

Neo Member
That trailer looks fantastic.

Maybe it is late and I'm just being dense, but... How does one become an early adopter? Only through UPlay? It'll be available on other services, won't it, eventually?

It should be available for pre-order on Steam from what I've heard, but I'm sure it'll have UPlay on top of that anyway, like every other Ubisoft game out there.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

It should be available for pre-order on Steam from what I've heard, but I'm sure it'll have UPlay on top of that anyway, like every other Ubisoft game out there.
Yeah. It definitely gave the impression that it's free form dungeon exploration and not just on rails.

Have they said whether the combat is turn-based or like Legend of Grimrock where you use quick reflexes?

Awesome, glad to hear it'll be on other services -- I don't mind having it log into UPlay, I just dislike having my games on more than the two services I use (Steam and GOG).

Top Bottom