• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy Announced [Update: PAX East off-screen video, Q&A]

kmfdmpig

I can't wait. I've been looking for a somewhat modern take on the old Bard's Tale/Wizardry/Might and Magic games. Might and Magic 2, for example, has a special place in my heart.

I wish that there were more games like this in general. I don't have a DS/3DS so I've missed the EO games, but I'm surprised we don't see more multiparty FPRPGs for Android and PC. Hopefully with this and Grimrock the genre picks up again.

M&M 6,7,8 inventory style was the nuts. Not sure if I'm liking the each item is one slot, thing but that's pretty nit picky.

The video looks pretty good.

No sci-fi though? The whole point of M&M was it's sci-fi plot and how the game never really took itself seriously with lots of jokes and inside references. The main thing that differentiated M&M from say, Ultima, was that Ultima existed in a world that could exist and run itself well regardless of whether or not your characters were in it. M&M's worlds were built specifically for your characters. Everyone in them either was a shop or wanted you to complete some task for them. Without the sci-fi stuff, the M&M universe is just generic fantasy. I really hope the "no sci-fi/blasters" comment was just based on what he saw in the demo and not info from the devs (or they were lying to protect the spoiler, since the sci-fi stuff always came at the end).

It seems like there's no animated portraits too which was another little thing that made the M&M games feel unique and give them their special flavor. But aside from that stuff the game does look fun.

Sentenza

WOW, I didn't expect this to look so good. I gotta say it's been many years since I was excited for a M&M game! Love to see these old style game formats again... huge nostalgia from Grimrock, and even more from this! Now, if only someone would remake Master of Magic :)

kswiston

So I have to buy this Day 1 just to show my support. Never thought I would see another proper Might and Magic game. Hopefully this game does really well, prompting them to try an homage to MM6-8 next.

looks like it's on rails there, even when you're exploring the world? is it? that would be fucked up

That's how the older games were.

So I have to buy this Day 1 just to show my support. Never thought I would see another proper Might and Magic game. Hopefully this game does really well, prompting them to try an homage to MM6-8 next.

That's how the older games were.

He may mean that the overworld didn't look explorable because they never left the road. At on point they're looking at grass and I kept thinking "hit forward" but they didn't, and after that it was the dungeon.

kmfdmpig

He may mean that the overworld didn't look explorable because they never left the road. At on point they're looking at grass and I kept thinking "hit forward" but they didn't, and after that it was the dungeon.

I would sure hope that they wouldn't screw that up. I mean one of the joys of the older ones was finding those off road spots that had something special or a higher level of monster. It led to tons of exploring which was fun.

I was thinking the same :D "just go one step on the grass, c'mon!"

I mean there is like 1% chance we won't be able to sidestep on the grassy fields but still it would be nice to have shown that.

New Q&A from fansite Celestial Heavens. This is the first session only, pretty stupid questions to be honest :|

http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=816

CH: What is the estimated release date?
Answer: The game will be released within the year.

CH: Is there a multiplayer option and how will it work?
Answer: No. We will not have any multiplayer features. It's a straight forward single player game.

CH: Will movement be tile based?
Answer: Yes, the movement is tile based. It's a WASD walk with QE turning you left and right. Holding the right mouse button enables you to use the "free-look" but when you move it snaps back to the default camera position.

CH: Will there be an online aspect of the game?
Answer: No. Buy, download, play. Depending on the distribution platform we probably have achievements. Aside from this Uplay is required like in all other Ubisoft titles. However, Uplay needs you to be online for a one time activation.

CH: Can you arrange party formations?
Answer: No, not in terms of "melee in the front, casters in the back". What you can influence is the turn order of your party members like "who acts when". Aside from this we have certain abilities/skills which have an impact on the combat flow. Think of crowd-control, stun, aggro reset. etc.

So it's more about what you decide to do with your characters instead of the formation: If you have a meat shield make him take the hits due to his abilities/skills.

CH: Will the wizards have a magic book? How will learning of spells work?
Answer: Yes - casters have spellbooks. You need to raise your magic skills (aka. spell school) with skill points from level-ups. Then you have to find the right trainer to get access to a higher tier. Finally you need to locate the right person to buy new spells. Sounds complicated? Well, noone said it's easy to be a caster!

CH: How is this RPG different from "Dark Messiah"?
Answer: Uhm, that's probably a long list... Please don't make me explain it in detail. "Might and Magic X: Legacy" is a turn-based, tile-based, 4-party, story-telling, non real time cRPG. "Dark Messiah" is "Dark Messiah" - an awesome game but really something different.

Minsc

Gold Member
At least we're reminded it'll be uPlay, I guess the sooner we accept / forget that, the better.

Hobbun

CH: Will there be an online aspect of the game?
Answer: No. Buy, download, play. Depending on the distribution platform we probably have achievements. Aside from this Uplay is required like in all other Ubisoft titles. However, Uplay needs you to be online for a one time activation.

I’ve never purchased a Ubi title on the computer before, what exactly is ‘Uplay’?

Also, so this is download only? No retail version? With those who have bought downloadable Ubi titles in the past, how is it done? I don’t have Steam and really don’t want to have to get it for one game (not a big PC gamer).

SparkTR

I’ve never purchased a Ubi title on the computer before, what exactly is ‘Uplay’?

Also, so this is download only? No retail version? With those who have bought downloadable Ubi titles in the past, how is it done? I don’t have Steam and really don’t want to have to get it for one game (not a big PC gamer).

Download only. Once you start the game on Steam a uPlay launcher pops up, click 'Play' (or something) and the game begins. It's nowhere near as bad as their former DRM methods, but it's still one more step to get the game running.

Or you could just launch in Via uPlay and not use Steam. Steam is infinitely better though.

Hobbun

That’s annoying there is no retail version.

Why is Steam infinitely better than just doing uPlay on it’s own? As I said, I don’t really PC game, this would be the first game I’ve purchased on my PC since Oblivion, so really don’t want to download Steam if I don’t have to. Isn't it subscription based?

Edit: Nevermind, I just read Steam is free. I guess I'll just DL it down the road.

Minsc

Gold Member
Download only. Once you start the game on Steam a uPlay launcher pops up, click 'Play' (or something) and the game begins. It's nowhere near as bad as their former DRM methods, but it's still one more step to get the game running.

Or you could just launch in Via uPlay and not use Steam. Steam is infinitely better though.

You probably need to login in to Uplay first though (or else how does the Uplay point tracking system work)?

So also creating an account on their service before you can click play, unless they don't require it, but that seems like it'd defeat the purpose.

Hobbun said:
That’s annoying there is no retail version.

Why is Steam infinitely better than just doing uPlay on it’s own? As I said, I don’t really PC game, this would be the first game I’ve purchased on my PC since Oblivion, so really don’t want to download Steam if I don’t have to.

It's just for other games mostly, having everything under one service with a single friends list etc, if this is the only game you'll play on PC, I don't imagine there's much difference where you get it. I don't see why you'd have an aversion to downloading Steam though, but that's your preference.

It does sound a little like they'll support achievements more fully on other platforms (probably Steam, if you care for achievements) going by this from the Q&A:

"Depending on the distribution platform we probably have achievements."

Hobbun

It's just for other games mostly, having everything under one service with a single friends list etc, if this is the only game you'll play on PC, I don't imagine there's much difference where you get it. I don't see why you'd have an aversion to downloading Steam though, but that's your preference.

It does sound a little like they'll support achievements more fully on other platforms (probably Steam, if you care for achievements) going by this from the Q&A:

"Depending on the distribution platform we probably have achievements."

Originally I was thinking Steam was subscription-based. I read that it’s not, so I’ll probably download it then.

I just hope I don’t get a bunch of advertising emails from Steam now too after I sign up.

”Take a look at what just released today on Steam!”

Sentenza

Originally I was thinking Steam was subscription-based. I read that it’s not, so I’ll probably download it then.

I just hope I don’t get a bunch of junk emails from Steam now too after I sign up.

Jeebus, some of you people really seem to live out of this world sometimes.

Hobbun

Jeebus, some of you people really seem to live out of this world sometimes.

What is your issue? No need to be rude.

Like I said, I never used Steam before, or even looked into it before, why should I know if it was subscription based or not. And I should like to receive advertisement emails? I receive enough of them as it is.

Sentenza

What is your issue? No need to be rude.
I wasn't trying to.
It's just a bit funny that you don't have the faintest clue about how one of the most popular (and obsessively discussed here on GAF) online services in the world works.

I just hope I don’t get a bunch of advertising emails from Steam now too after I sign up.

Just install Steam for this one game (M&MX), beat it and then uninstall Steam. Don't feel forced to use it by the guys above. It's your money after all. And relax a bit :)

SparkTR

Yeah, that won't happen. Steam and its ecosystem is by far the best digital games service in the industry right now all things considered, and they don't make you subscribe like XBL or PSN+.

Hobbun

I wasn't trying to.
It's just a bit funny that you don't have the faintest clue about how one of the most popular (and obsessively discussed here on GAF) online services in the world works.

So?

As I’ve said more than once, it was something I never had the need to look into before, never visited the threads, why should I automatically know how it works?

Just because something is used by many, doesn’t mean everyone is infused with knowledge on the specifics of it.

Just install Steam for this one game (M&MX), beat it and then uninstall Steam. Don't feel forced to use it by the guys above. It's your money after all. And relax a bit :)

Thank you. :) Like I said, I most likely will end up downloading it in the end.

Sentenza

Well, this is becoming tiring at this point.
Feel free to be as touchy as you want, if that's what floats your boat.

You have thousands of posts on a gaming forum and you have no clue of what Steam is. This strikes me as weird to me no matter how you are going to justify it.

Hobbun

Well, this is becoming tiring at this point.
Feel free to be as touchy as you want, if that's what floats your boat.

You have thousands of posts on a gaming forum and you have no clue of what Steam is. This strikes me as weird to me no matter how you are going to justify it.

I actually never said I didn’t know what Steam was, I just didn’t know the specifics on how it worked. I knew it was DL service for your computer.

But you are right, this has become tiring, and has become way off-topic of the thread. Just remember you were the one who started with the post of “You live in your own little world.”

Now, let’s get back to talking about Might and Magic X. :)

Arthea

At least we're reminded it'll be uPlay, I guess the sooner we accept / forget that, the better.

Not easy, but what we can do.
Also, no free roam is confirmed... It worries me a lil. I'm too M&M6 person already, unfortunately.

Hobbun

Not easy, but what we can do.
Also, no free roam is confirmed... It worries me a lil. I'm too M&M6 person already, unfortunately.

I’m like you, I started with MM6 and really liked it. But willing to give X a shot. It sounds like it actually took some aspects of the newer M&M’s (6 and above) in regards to the skill system.

Arthea

I’m like you, I started with MM6 and really liked it. But willing to give X a shot. It sounds like it actually took some aspects of the newer M&M’s (6 and above) in regards to the skill system.

I've started at the beginning, just I liked 6 too much to want to go back ever. I liked 3 a lot, not sure I could play it today though.
But I am giving this game as many chances as I can :)

Hobbun

I've started at the beginning, just I liked 6 too much to want to go back ever. I liked 3 a lot, not sure I could play it today though.
But I am giving this game as many chances as I can :)

What I’m hoping is Ubi is feeling the waters to see how sales are for M&M X, and maybe if it does well enough, we will see legacy games for the newer ones.

I would love to see a M&M along the lines of the design/mechanics of 6 and 7.

Arthea

What I’m hoping is Ubi is feeling the waters to see how sales are for M&M X, and maybe if it does well enough, we will see legacy games for the newer ones.

I would love to see a M&M along the lines of the design/mechanics of 6 and 7.

Would welcome other M&M games, I actually want franchise treated better in general, but that's too much to ask for.
I so want my fun with M&M 6 and HoMM 3 back. Not saying they should copy those games forever, no. But heading in the right direction would help, also more advertising, awareness could help too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What other can I mean in this context? Seriously asking

Exploration based game vs. Linear game.

The fact that it's tile based has been known since the initial trailer came out last week, so posting that it's "confirmed" 8 days after the fact is odd and confusing.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Am I crazy to think this looks like it is using the Grimrock engine? It feels so similar, even the little screen shake that happens when you try to walk forward into a wall. It's crazy.

Arthea

Why would I be kidding?

Please point me to the exact quote in my post that says you cannot free roam in M&MX. You can go wherever you want just as in M&M1-9.

Actually, even if we talk "going where you want", you can't call moving right or left or back or forward when available free roaming. In games past M&M6 you could wonder wherever you like, during combat same as normally exploring.
All strategy mostly consisted of moving backwards doing combat :)
We somehow talk about very different things.
And I didn't mean to say that game has no freedom or world, as I still don't really know what it has or not.

Hobbun

I would prefer it was non-tile, as that is what I was used to in M&M 6+, but it being tile-based is by no means a dealbreaker. As long as I can explore my maps fully (not just limited to roadways/paths), I am just fine with it.

Wow Celestial Heavens (a legit M&M and HOMM fansite that's been around for years) got a Q&A with the devs and the opportunity to ask some good questions but instead asked a bunch of lame questions. Or maybe they just released all the crap questions in part 1.

And I'm still skeptical on the "no sci-fi" thing that someone mentioned earlier. It's not M&M without sci-fi. Sheltem was featured prominently in the trailer for the game and it even states on their website that he is a ROBOT.

Wow Celestial Heavens (a legit M&M and HOMM fansite that's been around for years) got a Q&A with the devs and the opportunity to ask some good questions but instead asked a bunch of lame questions. Or maybe they just released all the crap questions in part 1.

And I'm still skeptical on the "no sci-fi" thing that someone mentioned earlier. It's not M&M without sci-fi. Sheltem was featured prominently in the trailer for the game and it even states on their website that he is a ROBOT.

The guy came up with his own questions and they were pretty dumb. Hopefully he reads the comments on his own site because people posted some legit ones under the first Q&A article.

Top Bottom