• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy Announced [Update: PAX East off-screen video, Q&A]

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
slightly offtopic question

can anyone tell me the main differences between M&M VI and M&M VII?

VII had a deeper class system, a kingdom/castle you got to rule and make decisions and and good/evil paths that could lead to different endings.

I personally think it's better then VI in every way, but doesn't have that first impressions nostalgia that VI had so lots rank it below.

Darg

Neo Member
VII had a deeper class system, a kingdom/castle you got to rule and make decisions and and good/evil paths that could lead to different endings.

I personally think it's better then VI in every way, but doesn't have that first impressions nostalgia that VI had so lots rank it below.

I think VI Had much better dungeon's, and longer one's. VII felt uninspired in the dungeon department but it's really not a suprise since the dev's had a much shorter development time compared to VI.

Was something else that was better about VI but i can't fully remember, might have to replay both to notice the other differences.

I pretty much agree with the rest of the thing's you mentioned though.

For me M&M7 is easily the worst one in the series (while M&M6 is the best one). I can't really say why, though. I found the now 3dfx-accelerated graphics repulsive on the sprites, the dungeons a far cry from the ones from M&M6, the overworld as well was worse. It was a real pain to slug through it. M&M8 was much better than 7, though.

Darg

Neo Member
For me M&M7 is easily the worst one in the series (while M&M6 is the best one). I can't really say why, though. I found the now 3dfx-accelerated graphics repulsive on the sprites, the dungeons a far cry from the ones from M&M6, the overworld as well was worse. It was a real pain to slug through it. M&M8 was much better than 7, though.

Yeah the graphics of 7 were actually worse than 6 because of that, since pretty much everything looked blurrier/muddier as opposed to the sharpness of 6.

Id rank 6 as my favorite aswell, though 7 did improve in some fundamentals like what the poster above me said but i supposed that is expected from a sequal in a way no?.

Playing as humans only made sense (from a story/lore perspective), same with the good/evil aspect and 7 had a better setup that would allow the good/evil aspect to work.

I replayed 6 much more than 7, don't know why but 7 felt tedious in some parts, in most dungeon's i just felt like *man i don't want to do this dungeon, i just want this dungeon to end already*.

Personally i would definately not rank 7 as the worst, it was still enjoyable beside's the dungeon's and some part's of the overworld. I would give that crown to m&m 9, it actually had decently designed dungeon's but everything else was just plain horrible.

Arthea

worse than 9? really?
I personally think that 6>7 (except Arcomage, that was excellent idea)>8>>>>>>>>>>>>9.
I don't think that overworld was worse in VII, it was probably even better. What really unpleasantly surprised me in 7 (even more in 8), how colourless world became. And games got darker, literally.

TrutaS

Well the game looks really good and budget focused, which means it may actually be a success for Ubisoft. This is overall very unexpected.

worse than 9? really?
I personally think that 6>7 (except Arcomage, that was excellent idea)>8>>>>>>>>>>>>9.
I don't think that overworld was worse in VII, it was probably even better. What really unpleasantly surprised me in 7 (even more in 8), how colourless world became. And games got darker, literally.

Yeah, 7 is worse than 9 for me.

I have this irrational hate for this particular entry, though. It really soured me after glorious M&M6.

I wonder if there will be a map editor/mod creator, like Skyrim or Grimrock. If so then there will likely be fan-made remakes of the older games in the new engine.

The game also has the "blessing" of M&M and HOMM series creator Jon Van Caneghem:

Hi Julien,

Congratulations on the announce, I love the homage to the older games in the trailer :)
Looks like fun, can’t wait to play!

-jvc

http://n-e-m-o.over-blog.net/article-x-marks-the-spot-116559977.html

(though honestly it's more of a professional courtesy but w/e)

Bedlam

I loved M&M3,4 and 5. Especially, Darkside and World of Xeen. Those are the games that really embody what M&M is for me (I could never get into anything M&M after those games, it all just felt and looked too different). Can't wait to play this.

You should definitely play M&M6. It really retained the feel of the older games, with a new engine. You can switch between real time when you just want to auto-attack through weak enemies or go turn based for more strategy. A great feature that really gives the game a good flow.

Rumour: the MMX designer's favorite MM game is World of Xeen and he's been trying to get MMX made for three years now.

From the little that we know so far and all the references in the trailer to the older games, it totally seems like this is an homage done by fans rather than a cheap cash in from a corporation trying to get some use out of an old license.

Hobbun

With the announcement of X, I have a desire to go back and play VII again, will probably play VIII following that. I have not finished either of them.

I just did a fresh reinstall of VII, but I know there are 2 or 3 patches I should install before I play. I believe there is an official patch, Mok's patch and one from Greyface?

Could someone please confirm and point me in the right direction of which patches to download?

Thanks.

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
I loved M&M3,4 and 5. Especially, Darkside and World of Xeen. Those are the games that really embody what M&M is for me (I could never get into anything M&M after those games, it all just felt and looked too different). Can't wait to play this.

The whole World of Xeen, especially how they 4 & 5 combined into a single game was pretty cool at the time.

A new interview with one of the devs has been posted at RPGamer: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/mightmagic/mm10/mm10int.html

Not too much interesting. The dev says that the series is now basically just fantasy though if you're a fan of the older games then there will be "a few surprises." Not sure what that means though since again, Sheltem was featured in the trailer and he is part of the older lore.

Also, the dev says that 70% of the gameplay is from World of Xeen and the rest from the newer ones.

A new interview with one of the devs has been posted at RPGamer: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/mightmagic/mm10/mm10int.html

Not too much interesting. The dev says that the series is now basically just fantasy though if you're a fan of the older games then there will be "a few surprises." Not sure what that means though since again, Sheltem was featured in the trailer and he is part of the older lore.

Also, the dev says that 70% of the gameplay is from World of Xeen and the rest from the newer ones.

What does it mean? How can you split the gameplay into such percentages and take from different entries in the series?

Also, again, it seems to have ONE CITY only. I hope this is false :/

kmfdmpig

Also, again, it seems to have ONE CITY only. I hope this is false :/
That would be a weird step backwards for the series, particularly as they seem to be so fond of the "find the next trainer" mechanic. That was one of the great things about the cities in previous entries.

That is an amazing interview:

Cons:
- no need to spend gold in a training center to level up. Pity as I wanted to hear that "You.... wanna train? *spit*" voiceover.
- no sci-fi elements (blasters, space ships etc.) AT ALL

Pros:
+ totally open world after the first tutorial area
+ no monster scalling
+ bigger than Clouds of Xeen
+ more than 20 different dungeons
+ some kind of easter egg connections to the sci-fi worlds of past M&M games
+ Grandmaster Skill teachers are pretty hard to find and offer you difficult quests
+ up to 3 monsters on one tile, same as M&M3-5; can have many sets of "3 monsters" on a tile surrounding you!

INCLINE!

AkuMifune

Banned
I always thought the sci-fi elements made M&M way cooler than straight up fantasy.

Gotta chase that Skyrim gold though.

About the sci-fi elements, they say the world of Ashan doesn't have sci-fi as part of the Ubisoft reboot, but:

"It doesn’t mean there's no connection to the older games of the series. Actually, if you know the "ancient universe" you should keep your eyes open while exploring the world of Might & Magic X..."

Kind of disappointing that they're going away from sci-fi. Though the sci-fi was always just at the end of the game. I mean if you played all the M&M games 75% or so of the way through you'd probably never know that there was sci-fi at all. Hopefully the easter eggs or whatever to the past games will make the game feel like a continuation of the older ones or something like that. But sci-fi was definitely the element that separated M&M from other generic fantasy games (It does seem like the world of "Ashan" is a pretty generic fantasy world).

I don't mind not paying for trainers. I mean they were essentially just a money sink. If they can find a way to do the economy and it's still balanced without paying for trainers then that's fine I guess. Though it was fun to solve a bunch of quests then go to the trainers and level up all your guys 5 times at once.

In the RPG Codex interview he specifically says "visiting cities" so it sounds like there will be multiple cities.

The game seems pretty cool though (no sci-fi aside). One of my most anticipated games this year.

epmode

Man, sci-fi/cyberpunk/real world RPGs are so much more interesting than fantasy. Maybe I'd feel differently if we had more than ~one per year.

Durante

I have to say I really don't mind a lack of sci-fi elements, those never did much for me in M&M. Also really happy to hear that we have at least implicit confirmation of more than one city.

I'm still floored that we seem to be getting a genuine "kickstarter-like" revival of old-school M&M out of a huge publisher.

Eusis

I think the sci-fi stuff would need to be better integrated anyway. More Dying Earth style, less "throw in whatever I think is cool", and Numenera seems like it'll be closer to that.

Sentenza

I'm still floored that we seem to be getting a genuine "kickstarter-like" revival of old-school M&M out of a huge publisher.

I wonder if this could eventually become a trend.
I mean, with games like Project Eternity and Torment piling tons of money on Kickstarter (of course, relatively to what's reasonably realistic to expect from crowdfunding) there must be someone who's contemplating how much they could sell with a... let's say a big budget Baldur's Gate 3.

I *honestly* think that a proper game in the fashion of BG2 with modern production value and big budget wouldn't be "a niche game" at all and it could hope for Blizzard-tier massive sales.

kmfdmpig

I have to say I really don't mind a lack of sci-fi elements, those never did much for me in M&M. Also really happy to hear that we have at least implicit confirmation of more than one city.

I don't mind the loss of them too much either. The one thing I loved about M+M was that it was not so fixated on balance that it would deny the players the "F Yeah!!" moments such as fountains that permanently make one much more powerful or quest rewards that provide multiple level ups. I've always preferred that to the stodgy rewards found in most games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm fine with there not being blasters (which always unbalanced 6 - 8 at the end game) but I will definitely miss exploring derelict space craft and fighting crazy robots at the end. It's refreshing to see that stuff in what is otherwise a traditional fantasy setting.

Celestial Heavens Q&A Session #2 is up:

http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=818

- Unity engine
- some kind of paper doll system
- 25+ people working on the game
- mod tools !!! you will be able to build your own adventure (overworld, dungeons, monsters etc.) with it
- "We have around 20+ dungeons, we have cities/villages to visit and we have the outdoor world. Dungeons vary in (grid) size and amount of overall levels (between 1 and 5 to be exact)."

MMMmmmmmmmmmm cannot wait for this game to come out. I *so* wish they'd do an iPad version though :(

Arthea

no sci-fi elements :(
other than that sounds good.
Also why free training? People were complaining about this?

- Unity engine
- mod tools !!! you will be able to build your own adventure (overworld, dungeons, monsters etc.) with it
- "We have around 20+ dungeons, we have cities/villages to visit and we have the outdoor world. Dungeons vary in (grid) size and amount of overall levels (between 1 and 5 to be exact)."

MMMmmmmmmmmmm cannot wait for this game to come out. I *so* wish they'd do an iPad version though :(

Mod tools?!

the MM1-5 remakes are waiting in the wings, then.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

- Unity engine

Mod tools? Awesome!

Mod tools?!

the MM1-5 remakes are waiting in the wings, then.
Yes!

Minsc

Gold Member
Have they shown anything to indicate if the cities are open areas you walk around in? I sort of remember it seeming like they'd just be a splash screen with clickable hot spots, but I hope I'm wrong.

Mod tools? Nice. I wonder if you could even mod in trainers.

Can't wait for the remakes of the older games.

I think that Shroud of the Avatar is also using the Unity engine.

Have they shown anything to indicate if the cities are open areas you walk around in? I sort of remember it seeming like they'd just be a splash screen with clickable hot spots, but I hope I'm wrong.

No city screens yet. What you described would be a MAJOR disappointment seeing how cities in M&M1-5 were just dungeons with shops and NPCs thus very, very easy to create.

Box art?

zoom-might-and-magic-x-legacy-ME3050129637_2.jpg

Also, some various impressions:

http://www.gry-online.pl/S022.asp?ID=8914

-they complain that the demo was short, shallow and way too easy: the party was powered up, so most enemies could be killed with a single ranged attack;
-equipable armour includes breast-plates, helmets and gauntlets;
-ranged weapons vary in terms of max. range;
-currently can't flee from battle;
-critical hits are calculated for every attack type separately, e.g. a mage in the demo had 100% chance with a sword, but only 20% with a magic attack;
-all characters have more than a dozen skills to improve; they vary depending on race;
-a mage can learn all magic schools; a rogue has access to only two;
-you are free to go where you want in the wilderness (some journalists on other sites claimed exactly the opposite);
-they mentioned the world is supposed to be huge;
-dungeons are much less claustrophobic, than in Grimrock;
-graphics will improve before release, according to the developers.

http://www.gram.pl/artykul/2013/04/11/might-magic-x-legacy-juz-grali-my.shtml

-General summary of reviewer is "I doubt MMX is a glorious return of the series", last sentence form the review "I could not belive that it may be something worse than MMIX, now I'm afraid that such nightmare may come."
-MMIX is most similar to Xeen-era dungeon crawler
-Movement is very limited, you can move only on designed paths. Even if you are in large cave, you cannot move towards the walls, you just move on the "rails" through the middle of the cave. There is no 2D net to move, just predefined path.
-Comaparision to Legend of Grimrock: LoG does everything 1000x better and even looks better (logrus: I cannot imagine that combat is worse than in LoG, TB >>>>> waltz simulator)
-Author did not not encounter any logical puzzles (logrus: maybe his gameplay was too short to encounter one, AFAIR puzzles have been already announced?)
-Author notices that game designers announced that MMX should have some decent story beyond simple dungeon crawler, but he founds the dialogs to be very shallow (compares them to Kings of Bounty as having similar level of complexity simplicity)
-Character development is gimped, you decide only about the skills development, the rest is advanced automatically, this auto advancement is based on race and class (logrus: )
-Fighting is in turns, whole turn for the party (one action for each member), then the same for the mobs
-Author is not impressed with the graphics, but says the graphics is "not ugly, but rather simple", it has the HoM&M "fabulous" feel
-It's not the final build, game designers collect the remarks, lot of them after PAX and plan to make some changes in the next builds (author hopes that next builds will be vastly improved)

They both seem to be Polish sites. Also, RPG Codex seems to be the most cynical, jaded and bitter site on the internet. LOL poor saps.

TheChaos0

-General summary of reviewer is "I doubt MMX is a glorious return of the series", last sentence form the review "I could not belive that it may be something worse than MMIX, now I'm afraid that such nightmare may come."

-Movement is very limited, you can move only on designed paths. Even if you are in large cave, you cannot move towards the walls, you just move on the "rails" through the middle of the cave. There is no 2D net to move, just predefined path.

-Character development is gimped, you decide only about the skills development, the rest is advanced automatically, this auto advancement is based on race and class (logrus: )

Don't like the sound of these, especially the movement bit.

(logrus: I cannot imagine that combat is worse than in LoG, TB >>>>> waltz simulator)

I can actually, the waltz simulator part of LoG can get annoying especially thanks to the crappy magic system, but the game itself has some difficulty and some cleverly designed sections that actually require thinking and a good plan. Combat in the Xeen M&M games on the other hand can get a bit boring and formulaic after a while, especially when you play the game in the right order and level yourself up properly.

Sentenza

I was very hostile about LoG being in real time at first, but the combat actually worked exceptionally well for what they were trying to do.
Playing the game you can even start to realize and accept why they went that way, as you realize that there are even several puzzles built around "exploiting" that combat system.

People complaining too much about it being "a waltz simulator" are probably missing the point, in my opinion.

SparkTR

I'm hoping it's just a case of the demo being guided/limited for press reasons. If it's the same demo they made for public display at PAX I can see that being the reason.

larvi

Any word on DRM for this? Is it going to be an "authentic solo experience" that requires you to log on to uplay like a mmo?

Top Bottom