• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy Announced [Update: PAX East off-screen video, Q&A]

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Whats the major difference in the Xeen era and MM6 and up?

Xeen era is turn based with rigid grid based movement. MM6 era is hybrid real time/turn based with free 360 degree movement.

The skill system is a big difference between them as well. Both styles of games require you to search the world for unique trainers to learn the skills you need to progress but the 6+ games added multiple levels for each skill.

Malio

Cautiously optimistic!! Loooooved the Might & Magic rpg's. It looks a bit...off, but I'm hyped.

Someone make Eye of the Beholder IV already!

KKRT00

You are dead to me. Grid based movement was amazing in MM 1 - 5 and Wizardry 7.

Maybe it was back then, but M&M 6-8 had free movement and it was much better experience.
Combat can be grid-based, but why should they limit exploration out of combat to the grid-based clunkiness?

Maybe it was back then, but M&M 6-8 had free movement and it was much better experience.
Combat can be grid-based, but why should they limit exploration out of combat to the grid-based clunkiness?

Recently I've been playing Etrian Odyssey 4, and grid-based movement is great, it allows better exploration and mapping, and better strategy as you can see exactly the moment an enemy is going to reach you and start attacking. Without grid based movement and turn-based battles it's just another Skyrim.

Ravager61

I think they both have their merits but what I get from a grid-based RPG these days is not the same thing I get from a free-movement RPG. They satisfy different parts of my brain.

I'm disappointed by what I see here because instead of a next gen, Might and Magic RPG (which is what something called M&M 10 should be), we get this throwback tablet game.

Again, not saying it will be bad. It's just not what I was hoping for. Honestly, they shouldn't have gotten my hopes up by calling it M&M 10. They already changed the naming scheme with Heroes 6 to M&M: Heroes. Why not just call this M&M: Subtitle?

Minsc

Gold Member
Because i found my gaming nirvana with handhelds(psp -> vita), i'm now a hadheld man, i rarely enjoy playing on ps3(i like its games but i would enjoy them way more on vita) ...

Buy a PC then buy Project SHIELD, problem solved!

KKRT00

Recently I've been playing Etrian Odyssey 4, and grid-based movement is great, it allows better exploration and mapping, and better strategy as you can see exactly the moment an enemy is going to reach you and start attacking. Without grid based movement and turn-based battles it's just another Skyrim.

Have You played M&M 6 and 7? You couldnt play combat in real-time. In M&M 8 there was option for real-time combat and turn-based combat.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
It depends if you are old school, new school or nostalgia ridden.

New school: best one is Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven.
Old school: best one is Might and Magic IV and V togheter as World of Xeen.
Nostalgia ridden: best one is Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra.

You can buy M&M1-6 from GOG in one package IIRC.

Do any of them have a modern fps movement scheme with strafing and mouselook?

Rubius

Look pretty cool, tile based, and I think, at least the collector edition, will come with 1-9. if so its a day one buy for me.
I recall 7 having the option to play like that, though you have to change the bindings to work like modern stuff.

I played MM7, my only MM, like that as a kid. I didnt understand english outside of a few words, and it was my first RPG outside of Secret of Mana and Mario RPG.
I remember that killing the wasp on the first island was a bitch, and that dragon was also tough as fuck. I played for hours running around. Even got to the point where I got White magic.
Not too bad for a kid who didnt understand english.

I'm disappointed by what I see here because instead of a next gen, Might and Magic RPG (which is what something called M&M 10 should be), we get this throwback tablet game.

Why do people keep saying this looks like a tablet game? What is the look of a "tablet game"? I didn't see any virtual controls on the screens or in the video, and it's definitely not going to be a game with no depth designed for 5-10 minute play sessions.

Rubius

Why do people keep saying this looks like a tablet game? What is the look of a "tablet game"? I didn't see any virtual controls on the screens or in the video, and it's definitely not going to be a game with no depth designed for 5-10 minute play sessions.

Looked a lot like Etrian Oddysey IV or Legend of Grimrock for me. As a new player in Dungeon Crawler, I must say that I love Etrian Oddysey 1 so far, and I will probably go play Grimrock after.

Legend_of_Grimrock_screenshot_04.jpg
etrian_odyssey_4_03_thumb.jpg

Nairume

Banned
You can see clickable directional movement buttons on screen briefly during the announcement video.

It's still really unfair to call it a tablet game, because that's what the Xeen M&M games were already doing.

King Boo

damn. i hate that turn base first person view combat (like dragon quests games). i like to see my character hit something. but it is might and magic...i don't know, i'll wait and see.

There was only about 5(?) seconds of gameplay in that trailer but the fact that most of the trailer was referencing the older games, with screenshots from MM1 and 3 and the intro voiceover from MM3, has me interested. Will Sheltem be in the game? Platform? Size of world? Character and combat systems? etc etc etc. Have to wait for more info I guess.

marrec

Banned
You can see clickable directional movement buttons on screen briefly during the announcement video.

It's still really unfair to call it a tablet game, because that's what the Xeen M&M games were already doing.

I was going to say, Xeen had clickable directional buttons.

Old school games now look like Tablet games?

Oh NeoGAF.

I love you.

Tamanon

Banned
I loved the Xeen games growing up. Hopefully this is as good.

I'm trying to remember which one had the Cuisinart enemy that you could cheese to get massive XP early on. They had an attack that killed themself and half of your party, but the other half lived and got a huge amount of XP. I think it was MM2.

Sentenza

The skill system is a big different between them as well. Both styles of games require you to search the world for unique trainers to learn the skills you need to progress but the 6+ games added multiple levels for each skill.
I have very fond memories of how hunting down the top tier trainers for different abilities was essentially some sort of implied epic quest by itself.

I was going to say, Xeen had clickable directional buttons.

Old school games now look like Tablet games?

Oh NeoGAF.

I love you.

Yeah but it didn't make Xeen any better to have a chunk of the screen lost by movement keys just because everything had to be mouse-controlled, and I'd expect a modern version to have an interface pretty similar to Grimrock (minimal and expandable menus, paper doll, repositionable stuff, no wasted screen space). I think the only element of the old UI I'd like to see would be the goofy portraits that mimicked conditions and the animated alerts along the border.

An-Det

I'm definitely interested in this. M&M 6-8 were amazing for me, so hearkening back to the older rpg's really tugs at me. I'm really curious about the description though: "In the wake of the spectacular events in Might & Magic® Heroes® VI". I wonder if that means the game will take place in Enroth.

marrec

Banned
Yeah but it didn't make Xeen any better to have a chunk of the screen lost by movement keys just because everything had to be mouse-controlled, and I'd expect a modern version to have an interface pretty similar to Grimrock (minimal and expandable menus, paper doll, repositionable stuff, no wasted screen space). I think the only element of the old UI I'd like to see would be the goofy portraits that mimicked conditions and the animated alerts along the border.

I'm picking up what you're putting down.

It's just funny that the limitations of M&M1-5 are now interpreted as what limitations would be reflected on a casual platform.

M&M 3 let you move your characters by clicking on the main gameplay window (the mouse turned into a directional cursor). But then in M&M4 and 5 they reduced the possible number of characters from 8 to 6 (makes sense since I never used the hirelings) and since they had nothing else to put in the place that the extra 2 people were in, put the movement arrows.

7-mm3_2792.png

images

Some concept art from a Russian website:

lij2MuL27B0.jpg

hjv18ZawB7s.jpg

Also, looking closely at the clips in the trailer you can see there are movement buttons in the left side of the screen. You get a 4 person party. Apparently attacks can hit more than one person at once. There's also 2 slots for what looks to be other people. Probably the hirelings that were in MM6 and 7 (not sure about 8). Also it looks like there's a Diablo-type row of quick use items like potions.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I wonder how many haters of HOMM6 actually played it? It's *really* good. But oh god, it doesn't have animated town screens! Nooooo!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Don't know this dev.
Don't know if they can do the series' legacy any justice.

But that teaser did scratch some itches the right way.
Sheltem got a big fucking grin from me.

I hope they pull off the quirky weirdness that was always a big draw for me in the earlier M&M games. I dropped out of the series after Xeen, admittedly. Never liked the way the series headed after that.

I really hope they can pull it off.
Even partially.
Not expecting miracles here.
But something both new and familiar would be awesome.

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
I wonder how many haters of HOMM6 actually played it? It's *really* good. But oh god, it doesn't have animated town screens! Nooooo!

No, it's not, it's a medocre game in a great series. I've played them all and HOMM6 is the the just about the worst in the series. (3 > 5 > 2 > 4 > 6 > 1)

The pacing was off, the town types felt very generic, the different towns were boring and the hero progression sucked really bad.

I'm a big fan of Xeen and MM6 so hopefully MMX is a proper MM RPG (no free-to-play or onlne garbage). We'll see...

SparkTR

Wasn't expecting this coming from Ubisoft, I guess they're comments about improving their relationship with PC gamers was legit after all? Regardless I'm interested in about a dozen upcoming cRPGs now, which hasn't happened in over a decade for me.

Top Bottom