• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy Announced [Update: PAX East off-screen video, Q&A]

Enkidu

I'm not saying it's bad, but it should give us a rough idea of the budget going into this.
Honestly, with a game like this you probably want it to be a low budget affair. With a higher budget the game would probably have to be reinvented to fit the tastes of today's "modern gamer" and regardless of the quality of the end product, it wouldn't be a Might and Magic game.

Nairume

Banned
Actually, it just dawned on me that making it more like the Xeen games means that they can probably port it to consoles much more easily than they could with the Enroth games.

I am completely cool with that, too.

Decado

Hopefully it keeps many of the elements that were featured in the better M&M games.

I still love the idea of paying to train skills, buy spells etc. I remember being so exciting finding new towns and looking for new shopkeepers and trainers. My memory may be off, but I recall M&M6 being great in terms of economy simply because gold was used for so much.

Mashing

Hopefully it keeps many of the elements that were featured in the better M&M games.

I still love the idea of paying to train skills, buy spells etc. I remember being so exciting finding new towns and looking for new shopkeepers and trainers. My memory may be off, but I recall M&M6 being great in terms of economy simply because gold was used for so much.

Indeed. I spent so much time in cities and towns trying to find the right trainer. The skill and spell system is why I love 6/7/8 so much.

Tarsul

this is quite inspring. Never expected something like this (meaning: grid based) and I guess I can only thank Legend of Grimlock's success for this.

This is a definite must buy for me as I loved playing IV&V; just the good will is enough for me even if the game doesn't live up to "the hype".

Hobbun

This actually makes me more excited. Means they can use their meager budget for other things.

‘Meager’ budget? Ubisoft is no small company, are they deliberately not funding it properly?

Not sure I like hearing that.

I’m not expecting something with high production values as it’s a legacy game, but they shouldn’t handicap themselves on money, either. Especially for a game where they want to re-introduce the Might and Magic (main numbered) franchise.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hope they keep some of that classic character generation. I got into this series with Clouds/Darkside of Xeen and kept mixing them up with Wizardry 8 when trying to find one to reinstall. Both are good.

Li Kao

Well, opening the trailer I wouldn't have thought there was the slightest chance of a "true" M&M sequel. And based on the very short glimpse of the game, I was so deliciously proven wrong.

Still the game looks relatively ugly and I can't say I'm psyched for the re-use of assets. And what is it with the line of light around the first monster skin, fugly. And, and... if they don't fuck it spectacularly, this is wonderful.

ys45

Wow this look actually good.

My first M&M was 6 (played up to 8) should i try the old M&M ? if yes which one do you guys recommend ?

I am legitimately shocked that they didn't just turn this into a Skyrim clone. I suppose Ubisoft realized that route would require an absurd budget with little guarantee of success. Are our mega-publisher overlords learning?

Here I was thinking that the most joy I would get out of this would be from watching the trainwreck. But it's turn-based, party-based and grid-based*? So far...so good? Is there some sort of catch?

* I actually would have been perfectly fine with it not being grid-based, as my fondest memories with the series were with 6-8. But at least this indicates that they're not trying to pander to the mainstream audience.

Nairume

Banned
Wow this look actually good.

My first M&M was 6 (played up to 8) should i try the old M&M ? if yes which one do you guys recommend ?

3, 4, and 5 are what this game looks to be mechanically based upon.

GOG has a bundle that includes 1-6, so you can play those, revisit 6 (which is still awesome), and probably ignore the first two games.

Chev

Probably not gonna buy this but as a player of 3-4-5 I won't lie, I had goosebumps when I heard Sheltem speak.

Nairume

Banned
I am legitimately shocked that they didn't just turn this into a Skyrim clone. I suppose Ubisoft realized that route would require an absurd budget with little guarantee of success. Are our mega-publisher overlords learning?

Here I was thinking that the most joy I would get out of this would be from watching the trainwreck. But it's turn-based, party-based and grid-based*? So far...so good? Is there some sort of catch?

* I actually would have been perfectly fine with it not being grid-based, as my fondest memories with the series were with 6-8. But at least this indicates that they're not trying to pander to the mainstream audience.
That's actually what is really cool about this.

They could have just as easily made this more like 6-8 and passed it off as a Skyrim competitor, or even just done a single character game and passed THAT off as a Skyrim competitor.

Instead, we are getting new Xeen games, and that is really fucking awesome.

FACE

Banned
iuEgKJxo92vos.gif

Munin

I think they're testing the waters with this, if it turns out reasonably successful I could imagine a more ambitious XI.

V_Arnold

I think they're testing the waters with this, if it turns out reasonably successful I could imagine a more ambitious XI.

That would make no sense. If this sells, it would not sell because buyers of this would want a different XI, it would sell because gamers need these type of gameplay DIRECTLY INJECTED INTO THEIR VEINS. Any executive greenlighting a Skyrim-clone after this one needs to rethink his decision making flowchart, imho. :D

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That would make no sense. If this sells, it would not sell because buyers of this would want a different XI, it would sell because gamers need these type of gameplay DIRECTLY INJECTED INTO THEIR VEINS. Any executive greenlighting a Skyrim-clone after this one needs to rethink his decision making flowchart, imho. :D

How did you get Skyrim out of "more ambitious"?

Protocol7

Grid-based maps... I'm so excited, exploring the maps square by square... Please make it like anything before 6, before it became crap.../tears I want a world fusion à la World of Xeen too!! That was so freaking AWESOME!! SORRY FOR THE CAPS I'M EXCITED!!!!

Almighty

Well that was unexpected as I didn't think they would actually keep the gameplay style. I was fully expecting them to make it an action rpg or something. So that is really good I will be keeping an eye on this.

Ravager61

I'm actually a little disappointed this uses old school M&M, tile-based movement.

Too be honest, this looks like a tablet game. Not saying it looks bad, but I was hoping for something a more ambitious from something called Might and Magic 10. 6 is my favorite of the series (and one of the best RPGs of all time if you ask me).

Oh well, hopefully this is good anyway.

KKRT00

Some small shots from developer website

1_02m.png
1_01m.png

game-key-1_87998.png
game-key-2_87994.png

Why is this grid based? Grid based movement is awful in open world. Also game looks like straight from iPad and showing gameplay off-screen doesnt comfort me at all, also many elements in environments seems pre-recorded like in Myst games for example.

marrec

Banned
Some small shots from developer website

1_02m.png
1_01m.png

Why this is grid based? Grid based movement is awful in open world. Also game looks like straight from iPad and showing gameplay off-screen doesnt comfort me at all, also many elements in environments seems pre-recorded like in Myst game for example.

Looks amazing, can't wait.

A tablet version of a M&M RPG...but I can play a real M&M party-based CRPG on my tablet...I am torn.

Never was a huge fan of tile-based movement in a real time game (Stonekeep, for example) but will play this regardless.

Looks like tablet crap.

And judging by Limbic Entertainment experience, it will be a tablet crap.

But I want to believe.

First post nails i............. err did you even watch the trailer? Till the end?

This looks like OLD SCHOOL M&M1-5.

Tile-based movement? CHECK.
Turn based combat? CHECK.
Party of PCs? CHECK.
Outdoor and indoor areas? CHECK.

This *is* MIGHT AND MAGIC.

Or, for all ya yungsters out there: this is Legend of Grimrock with M&M skin on top of it.

Hype levels: MAXIMUM

I want to get into this series. Which is the best M&M game to play?

It depends if you are old school, new school or nostalgia ridden.

New school: best one is Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven.
Old school: best one is Might and Magic IV and V togheter as World of Xeen.
Nostalgia ridden: best one is Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra.

You can buy M&M1-6 from GOG in one package IIRC.

I want to say the previous ones had a larger explorable area, but that could be because I mapped the previous ones out by hand. 1-5 also had selectable races, unlike 6.

There is no bigger Might and Magic game than M&M6. M&M4+5 combined are bigger but as a single game M&M6 is the biggest one.

TheChaos0

That makes one of us.

I'm not saying it's, oh no so awful but grid based maps were more of a limitation of technology rather than an intentional design choice. It feels like limiting the freedom in an open world game.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind if the combat was grid based (and turn based only as a result of that), that would make more sense, in my opinion.

Not going to lie, I was both expecting and hoping that the game would mechanically play like M&M6 and up because it'd have been an easier sell to the market.

Them going for something closer to the Xeen games is actually really cool and ballsy.

Whats the major difference in the Xeen era and MM6 and up?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Grid-based movement and turn-based combat?

I have never played this series before, but you have got my attention. Don't fuck this up with UPlay or anything, just quietly release it on Steam or DRM free...ha ha...ha like the other low-budget games that aren't really essential to your business.

Top Bottom