• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

How is performance of the game post-patch? I'm on the fence over whether to buy this or not since I have a 1st gen i7 laptop with a 1gb GPU, 4 gigs of ram but will likely buy a new computer later this year. I'm wondering if I should buy the game now or wait until I get a new comp.

Seems to be a lot more stable, granted I've never had too many issues with the game in the first place since I've got 8 GB RAM and a 64bit OS which they recommend. Loading times seem to be improved too, could just be the placebo effect though.

I'm running this on an ancient Core 2 laptop with a similarly decrepit ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 card. At 720p, performance is pretty solid everywhere with Textures set to Very High, 16x AF, and Shadows turned off.

Is it feasible to have a party with no Shield users? Or do you realistically need at least one?

Also is the narrator anyone in the game, or just a random person telling the story?

The narrator is
the Governer Jon Morgan's young daughter whom you'll meet for the first time at the end of Act 1 after rescuing him from the bandits who've taken over his castle during the main questline.

Corpekata

Banned
How exactly are the new dungeons accessed? Finding it tough to find out online.

Performance seems a lot better on my end. I still have a shitload of respawned enemies to deal with though.

Finally managed to make some progress and gained the light and water blessings today and i have a question about Relics. I have 6 relics in my inventory that aren't any use to me. Can i sell them without consequence?

KePoW

Banned
Finally managed to make some progress and gained the light and water blessings today and i have a question about Relics. I have 6 relics in my inventory that aren't any use to me. Can i sell them without consequence?

If they are item types that none of your classes can use, then sell them immediately.

Liking the game so far, but I'm feeling stuck... decided to play on Warrior difficulty. I completed Act 1 with a number of challenging fights, but was very good overall. Now I'm stuck on the very first part of Act 2 (Elemental Forge). The endless waves of Elite Assassins just wreck me... I managed to make it down to the earth boss, but I'm getting annihilated. It feels like I'm not supposed to be here yet, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to go? I'm around lvl 11/12. Do I need to do something before forge?

Or maybe it is my party comp? I went with the default group, Defender (tank w/ evade + stacked vit and taunt), Barb (stack might, 2h mace, dodge), Ranger (bow and earth air/magic _ mysticism for extra healing and CC) and Freemage (light expert). I rely a lot on the freemage Celestial Armour, but the earth boss rips through it like its not even there. The majority of the DPS is coming from my 2 melee, with a bit on the side from the ranger when shes not healing.

garath

Well I beat the game over the weekend. Final tally according to Steam was 44 hours. I think it was a little longer than that. Most likely 50 but either way. Still a great ride. Dragged on a bit near the end. The final boss was simply annoying. I was constantly resurrecting people and doing my best to ignore the poison. In the end I got through it simply by running no buffs then when I get hit with the big AOE poison attack, I spend a single round with dispel then regen and keep going. That made it much better. Knowing what I know now I would have stocked up on anti-poison and darkness resist gear. Oh well. No worries. Beat it all the same.

I don't know if I have it in me to jump into the optional dungeons. I'll have to see how I feel about it. I certainly got my money's worth though. Fun game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I guess I am the only one who had the necromancer minion with me in the final dungeon. You could pop him up at any time and he healed any status effect for 15 gold.

Finally beat that Earth boss! It was likely harder than it had to be, even being on Warrior difficulty. The problem was that I had stacked my tank with vitality and defense... but the "taunt" needs to actually HIT the monster to work. So the fight would be going well, and then 1 taunt would be missed/blocked and that was it, the boss would 1-shot my casters and everything went all pear shaped.

The key was getting my caster Radiant Blade; it did decent damage but more importantly stops the monster from blocking for that turn, so my tanks taunt could land every time... after that much easier ;)

Arulan

I finally completed the game. According to Steam it took me roughly 140 hours, although I play at a much slower pace than most people. I played on Warrior difficulty with a party of Crusader, Bladedancer, Runepriest, and Freemage. I completed everything I could in the game, including the
Limbo dungeon

I really enjoyed the game, even more than I thought I would. The quest design was great, more importantly the lack of quest markers of any form immediately makes them more enjoyable, even the ones that were a bit more generic. The puzzle aspect of dungeons and riddles felt very refreshing from modern RPGs. We need more riddles in RPGs, or at the very least engaging puzzles that can't be solved in less than a glance.

I wasn't familiar with the Might & Magic universe, with the exception of Dark Messiah but a lot of the hints to previous titles in the lore of this one has me interested, and of course they're likely amazing games in of themselves. South Park: A Stick of Truth is next though.

Raggie

The puzzle aspect of dungeons and riddles felt very refreshing from modern RPGs. We need more riddles in RPGs, or at the very least engaging puzzles that can't be solved in less than a glance.

I absolutely agree. Puzzles and riddles used to be a regular part of RPGs, or at least western RPGs, until the dumbing down started. Nowadays you won't see anything more taxing to the brain than flicking switches and searching for keys.

I wasn't familiar with the Might & Magic universe, with the exception of Dark Messiah but a lot of the hints to previous titles in the lore of this one has me interested, and of course they're likely amazing games in of themselves.

This is actually the first main-line MM to use the Ashan setting. Ashan has so far been used in the Heroes series since 5, Dark Messiah and Clash of Heroes (which I recommend).

KePoW

Banned
The problem I had in MMX is that a few of the puzzles seemed to have no logic behind them. Even after looking up the solutions, I didn't see any apparent way to figure it out beforehand other than trial & error reloading.

Ricker

Just started this last week...I like it but some stuff is pretty bad....loot is garbage and difficulty on normal is all over the place.

I went with the default group and now I am stomped...no more ennemies to defeat to level up,I have the Lighthouse Boss,that killed me in one of the most ridiculous Boss event I have seen since Might and Magic 1 probably lol and 2 Dangerous caves that I dont even come close to defeating...can't go anywhere else besides that first map section...so what the hell am I suppose to do now...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just started this last week...I like it but some stuff is pretty bad....loot is garbage and difficulty on normal is all over the place.

I went with the default group and now I am stomped...no more ennemies to defeat to level up,I have the Lighthouse Boss,that killed me in one of the most ridiculous Boss event I have seen since Might and Magic 1 probably lol and 2 Dangerous caves that I dont even come close to defeating...can't go anywhere else besides that first map section...so what the hell am I suppose to do now...

Have you done the bandit cave yet?

KePoW

Banned
Yep...there's also those 2 Scepters ladies but again,not even close on those...

You're not supposed to do the Dangerous Caves or Spectres yet. But you should be able to beat the Lighthouse boss with some strategy and specific spell/potion use.

Ricker

Yeah...I cant beat the lighthouse Boss...he does that thing that kicks you off the roof,really stupid fight IMHO....guess I will start over on easy or just give up all together because there is nothing else I can do...area is closed off by guards or whatever and there is nothing left to kill...great concept there UBI...

EDIT: unless the spider caves respawns...? might try that.

Sinatar

Yeah...I cant beat the lighthouse Boss...he does that thing that kicks you off the roof,really stupid fight IMHO....guess I will start over on easy or just give up all together because there is nothing else I can do...area is closed off by guards or whatever and there is nothing left to kill...great concept there UBI...

EDIT: unless the spider caves respawns...? might try that.

How about you don't fight him on the edge of the roof...

epmode

Can't he move twice in a round or something? I remember thinking there was some luck involved in whether or not he can knock you off the lighthouse. I'd have to replay to know for sure what the issue was.

Sentenza

Can't he move twice in a round or something? I remember thinking there was some luck involved in whether or not he can knock you off the lighthouse. I'd have to replay to know for sure what the issue was.
I found it extremely annoying in terms of encounter design because of a striking line of factors.
You have a unit that can one-shot the whole party pushing it down from the tower, who can move TWICE in a turn and he *locks* you in melee making impossible to move away from danger if you calculate your moves poorly.
On top of that, he can also push you down even when you have your back on a column, making you slide on a side.
Overall, incredibly annoying.

KePoW

Banned
I found it extremely annoying in terms of encounter design because of a striking line of factors.
You have a unit that can one-shot the whole party pushing it down from the tower, who can move TWICE in a turn and he *locks* you in melee making impossible to move away from danger if you calculate your moves poorly.
On top of that, he can also push you down even when you have your back on a column, making you slide on a side.

Are you sure that's possible? I've always fought him where my back was to a column, and he never pushed me off that way.

birdchili

lighthouse boss moves twice? i don't remember that.

i got clobbered the first time since i just waited for him at the edge (they should give you a clue about the push attack somewhere).

second go at it was fine. long fight, and close (lots of stuff in chapters 1 and 2 are really nicely challenging), but he was never in a position where he could kick me over the edge.

Sentenza

Are you sure that's possible?
He did it to me three or four times, in two different games.
The only reliable way I found to face him was being lucky enough to position myself in the center of the "room", when he somehow let me do it.

Ricker

Are you sure that's possible? I've always fought him where my back was to a column, and he never pushed me off that way.

Yep he does...I tried all of that and figured I would lean back on a column...he then proceeded to swing me off by hitting me sideways...I almost had him,he was down to a quarter health...I will get him...someday lol...

kmfdmpig

He did it to me three or four times, in two different games.
The only reliable way I found to face him was being lucky enough to position myself in the center of the "room", when he somehow let me do it.

It was the same for me. I had to try a few times and then use a fair amount of magic to win the fight.

Sinatar

You have to reposition yourself every time he does the 'push' attack, when he pushes you, you are unlocked from melee and can move back to the middle. He only pushes you one square, so you can stay in the middle perimeter and never be in danger of falling.

garath

You have to reposition yourself every time he does the 'push' attack, when he pushes you, you are unlocked from melee and can move back to the middle. He only pushes you one square, so you can stay in the middle perimeter and never be in danger of falling.

^^

That's the trick. When you get pushed, you reposition yourself. Don't just keep wailing on him.

Yep he does...I tried all of that and figured I would lean back on a column...he then proceeded to swing me off by hitting me sideways...I almost had him,he was down to a quarter health...I will get him...someday lol...

He's probably the hardest thing in Act 1 on normal difficulty, because he fights in a non standard way. Hopefully you have an Earth expert who can keep regeneration up.

If you have the default party, it can be much harder or easier than you are thinking just from the skill points you assign. On the default party, I recommend you max out the Freemage light skill as much as you can (master in Act 1) as a priority. I doubt you will have master level at the lighthouse boss, but just have as many points as possible. Every time the Freemage levels, do 2 points magic, 1 point spirit, 1 point vitality. The celestial armour spell will be very good at this point, saving you from a lot of damage.. it will let you breeze through pretty much any of the trash mobs in the entire act, likely without ever needing a heal potion. Once you have master light, take advantage of dark magic, if you can get it to expert the Sleep spell is very good crown control for act 1+2.

Admittedly, I did find the default party somewhat lackluster, especially on warrior difficulty. The Dwarven Defender may be great endgame at GM level, but start/mid game he can't hit worth spit (so lots of missed taunts) and his damage output is very poor. The Orc Barbarian does good damage with a 2H, but does take a lot of damage in return. The Elf Ranger is very weak IMO... ranged combat (even after the buff in the patch) is not that effective, and the melee isn't anywhere near as good as other classes. I ended up making her a caster which can get you through mid game, but since she caps out at master level makes it quite hard at the end. The Freemage is a good one, and is the only class who can use Dark magic. Sleep and Purge are incredibly useful, as is Dispell if there are no other classes up to cure debuffs.... and of course Whispering Shadows to find secrets.

Honestly, I had a waaaay better time after I rerolled. I went with Human Paladin, Elf Druid, Dwarf Runpriest and Elf Bladedancer. The GM Light Paladin can do some decent tanking, is a pro with Celestial Armour, and can heal in a pinch (not to mention break curse and rez). The Elf Druid (Earth Magic) is the primary healer, GM regeneration is very strong, especially combined with stoneskin and the poison AOE is quite good as well. The Dwarf Runepriest does good damage with fire magic, but the real DPS comes from the dual wield dagger Elf Blademaster. No magic, no ranged, pure melee DPS, very nice output and becomes ridiculous near the end of the game.

At first I didn't want to reroll as I felt it took me too long to get to where I was, but TBH I made it back up to the same stage as my first part in only a few hours (I was about 50% through Act 2 the first time and it took AGES because the combat was so hard). With this new group, enemies just melt in front of me... the only bad ones so far are ones who can do mana burn. But if I can get Celestial Armour up + Stoneskin, victory is pretty much in the bag :)

Raggie

More DLC coming next week!

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2014/03/might-magic-x-legacy-dlc-flacon-the-unicorn-pack-inbound/

Ubisoft have announced that Might & Magic X – Legacy DLC “The Falcon & The Unicorn” will be available for download from March 27th. If you own the deluxe edition this DLC will be available to you for free, otherwise it set you back £5.49. People on the Mac platform who have wanted to get into the game will be happy to know they won’t have to wait much longer, as Might & Magic X – Legacy will be coming to Steam for Mac on the March 27th as well after being available on Windows PC for some time now.

The “The Falcon & The Unicorn” DLC introduces an exclusive quest line, 2 new dungeons, an all-new array of iconic enemies from the Haven faction and more. The epic events of Might & Magic X – Legacy made our favourite group of Raiders the heroes of Ashan and now the Holy Inquisition itself wants their heads, accusing them of crimes they didn’t commit. Sentenced to rot away until death on the prison island of Fort Laegaire, the Raiders must once again combine their wits and skills to unravel a sinister plot targeting the heart of the imperial court.

Sentenza

I wonder if they are considering the game successful enough to put a sequel in the pipeline at this point.
Maybe even one without embarrassingly recycled assets, this time!

Munin

I wonder if they are considering the game successful enough to put a sequel in the pipeline at this point.
Maybe even one without embarrassingly recycled assets, this time!

Well I never understood what the problem was with that...if the assets are good, and they fit in with the game world, well why not use them again for good effect and the budget they save can go somewhere where it matters.

Raggie

Well I never understood what the problem was with that...if the assets are good, and they fit in with the game world, well why not use them again for good effect and the budget they save can go somewhere where it matters.

Getting at least one sequel from the same assets that were aged from day one would be true to the legacy of the series as well. :D

Kem0sabe

I left the game half way through, couldnt bare with the poor performance, until they fix the engine to run decently i won't touch it again.

Sentenza

Well I never understood what the problem was with that...if the assets are good
Well, but they aren't.
I mean, the game is nice, it's a miracle it exists at all so I'm going to put the complaints on a low priority, but we are talking about a 2014 release that looks 10-12 years older.
There are parts of this game that look downright ugly, both technically and artistically.

EDIT: oh, yeah, and s the above user ^ just pointed, performances are abysmal. I'm on my new PC and I can handle pretty much everything I throw at it, and this is the only game where I'm experiencing performance issues.

Durante

I was about to say that I'll certainly get the DLC considering how much fun I had with the game, but apparently I'll get it for free.

I totally agree with this. I see no problem with re-using assets across the "Heroes" and RPG branches of M&M.

Well, but they aren't.
I mean, the game is nice, it's a miracle it exists at all so I'm going to put the complaints on a low priority, but we are talking about a 2014 release that looks 10-12 years older.
There are parts of this game that look downright ugly, both technically and artistically.
Come on, that's an overstatement. It's rather inconsistent, but it can look quite good:
screenshot_2014-01-288wsyu.jpg

screenshot_2014-01-275eojb.jpg

might-and-magic-x-legszs13.jpg

screenshot_2014-02-03ljkf0.jpg
Certainly not vintage 2002.

Moff

the dungeons look very good, only the overworld looks very low budget, although it also had a few higlights. not sure if I'll paly the dlc althogh I loved the main game, but getting back to a huge game for little content always lets me leave disappointed.

I really hope we'll see a proper sequel with a huge world, I wouldnt even mind if it had the same low budget graphics and reused assets, didnt bother me much.

Sentenza

Come on, that's an overstatement.
No, it's not.

j4QUfZmTrAdyE.jpg

HL2 is a ten years old game that overall looks far better than this.

As I said, I'm more than willing to put minor complaints aside for what this game does properly; but I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't appreciate a sequel with far better visuals.

Munin

Well, but they aren't.

EDIT: oh, yeah, and s the above user ^ just pointed, performances are abysmal. I'm on my new PC and I can handle pretty much everything I throw at it, and this is the only game where I'm experiencing performance issues.

The environments can use work although as pointed out some are gorgeous (especially that one cave that looks like a paradise). But anyway, I thought we were talking about the monsters here. They look fine to me really.

And as said as well the same thing happened with earlier titles as well. For all I care Limbic can reuse two thirds of their shit if they manage to improve on the rest.

Sentenza

I can run Skyrim without problems
That's not saying much. I could run Skyrim without problems at 60 fps on my six years old PC I just trashed.
What's far more relevant to point, I can run Battlefield 4 and Crysis 2 far better than I can run this game, which is a bit ridiculous if you think about it.

Ricker

He's probably the hardest thing in Act 1 on normal difficulty, because he fights in a non standard way. Hopefully you have an Earth expert who can keep regeneration up.

If you have the default party, it can be much harder or easier than you are thinking just from the skill points you assign. On the default party, I recommend you max out the Freemage light skill as much as you can (master in Act 1) as a priority. I doubt you will have master level at the lighthouse boss, but just have as many points as possible. Every time the Freemage levels, do 2 points magic, 1 point spirit, 1 point vitality. The celestial armour spell will be very good at this point, saving you from a lot of damage.. it will let you breeze through pretty much any of the trash mobs in the entire act, likely without ever needing a heal potion. Once you have master light, take advantage of dark magic, if you can get it to expert the Sleep spell is very good crown control for act 1+2.

Admittedly, I did find the default party somewhat lackluster, especially on warrior difficulty. The Dwarven Defender may be great endgame at GM level, but start/mid game he can't hit worth spit (so lots of missed taunts) and his damage output is very poor. The Orc Barbarian does good damage with a 2H, but does take a lot of damage in return. The Elf Ranger is very weak IMO... ranged combat (even after the buff in the patch) is not that effective, and the melee isn't anywhere near as good as other classes. I ended up making her a caster which can get you through mid game, but since she caps out at master level makes it quite hard at the end. The Freemage is a good one, and is the only class who can use Dark magic. Sleep and Purge are incredibly useful, as is Dispell if there are no other classes up to cure debuffs.... and of course Whispering Shadows to find secrets.

Honestly, I had a waaaay better time after I rerolled. I went with Human Paladin, Elf Druid, Dwarf Runpriest and Elf Bladedancer. The GM Light Paladin can do some decent tanking, is a pro with Celestial Armour, and can heal in a pinch (not to mention break curse and rez). The Elf Druid (Earth Magic) is the primary healer, GM regeneration is very strong, especially combined with stoneskin and the poison AOE is quite good as well. The Dwarf Runepriest does good damage with fire magic, but the real DPS comes from the dual wield dagger Elf Blademaster. No magic, no ranged, pure melee DPS, very nice output and becomes ridiculous near the end of the game.

At first I didn't want to reroll as I felt it took me too long to get to where I was, but TBH I made it back up to the same stage as my first part in only a few hours (I was about 50% through Act 2 the first time and it took AGES because the combat was so hard). With this new group, enemies just melt in front of me... the only bad ones so far are ones who can do mana burn. But if I can get Celestial Armour up + Stoneskin, victory is pretty much in the bag :)

Thanks for the tips...yeah I have the default party and whats killing me on the Lighthouse Boss is the constant misses from my 2 supposed damage dealers...I have celestial armour yes and regeneration on the ranger with earth stuff...I just went around everywhere again,I only missed a few spiders in the town lair so that didnt help me level up...went to all the shops and bought everything I could equip of course and I am heading back to try him again later today...I will grab all the buffs from the shrines and colored stones on the way and try him again...otherwise I might start over with my own party like you mentionned...

Raggie

I agree they could do with some serious tweaking and fixing with the engine, but if they'd release MMXI with the same engine, I'd still buy it. If there's a choice between a buggy MM and no MM, I'd take the buggy one.

I did a list of recommended gridders on an earlier post, and now I thought I'd make a list of upcoming attractions. These are gridders that are in the making right now and may or may not be any good, but something worth keeping your eyes on if you dig gridders.

Legend of Grimrock II
www.grimrock.net

Basically seems to be in essence the same as LoG1, but with more varied environments, monsters etc.

Vaporum
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=233864970

A steampunk gridder. On Steam Greenlight, if you'd care to vote for it.

Dungeon Kings
http://www.dungeonkings-game.com/

Looks to be a lot like Grimrock.

Persona Q

Seems like it'll basically be a Persona-themed Etrian Odyssey.

StarCrawlers
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203628033

Sci-fi, turn-based. Has been greenlit for Steam and had a succesful Kickstarter campaign.

Nights & Candles
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=224380810

*shrug* I know nothing about it, but it's on Steam Greenlight now.

Class of Heroes 3

From what I've heard, each CoH game is better than the previous one so I have fairly high hopes for this one.

Top Bottom