• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Moff

I am not starting over...I have put 11 hours until that stupid Boss fight and thats it...I uninstalled this unbalanced, badly designed game,it doesn't deserve the space that it was taking on my hard disk and I am not buying any more Might and Magic games...

well you cant please everyone. most people the thread here seemed to like it very much though.

Raggie

I haven't even started my actual playthrough! :-D I've been waiting for patches and all the DLC I've paid for. I guess it's starting to be a good time for me to start, then?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well by having a freemage and a druid you have 2 casters who can grandmaster primordial which is kind of a waste. Also contrary to Tuco, I found tanks to be very very useful. My Crusader was literally indestructible by the end of the game, and as long as you put points into perception his taunt skills were great.

Sulik2

Whats the deal with the price on this game? I have not seen a decent sale on it yet and it seems like its time for a price drop.

Raggie

So I started with a party of human crusader Bedivere, elf bladedancer Shade, dwarf runepriest Spunky and orc shaman Fluffy. My characters in MM games always end up with stupid names. I like to headcanon Spunky likes to attach those "Kick me!" notes on the self-important front-liners, and Fluffy is happy to comply.

I'm still on early stages, recently left the first city and on my way to the lighthouse when I got distracted by exploring the overworld. It always seems that there's a chest or a new monster or a stat-boosting statue or something else interesting just a few tiles away, and a monster I could defeat and new equipment I could use if I get just that one more level. I'm so hopelessly addicted and having a great time.

This. Game. Is. Fantastic.

Moff

yeah, uplay sucks, I understand, it bothered me, too
but honestly, its literally a non-issue, and the game is more than worth it to start up the uplay launcher for 3 seconds.

Raggie

MMX was the first game to make me break the rule of never buying a game using uPlay. I'm also hoping it'll be the last game I'll have to play with uPlay.I detest uPlay.

Is MMX worth it, though? Absolutely.

Quixzlizx

I just like keeping my game library as unified as possible. I would've been OK with required Uplay if I had also received a Steam key. I guess I'll just wait for the first Steam sale.

Corpekata

Banned
Finally finished the game. Loved it overall but man does it become a combat heavy slog toward the end. I think most parties are going to peak ability and gear wise a good 10 hours before the end so it sort of makes exploring a bit pointless. The only gear I really upgraded in that stretch of time was the 2 handed mace relic that is for some reason in the last dungeon. I like the relic system idea but it needs tweaking. They're too powerful, and generally there's not enough competition. What you can find and buy is so random and often so pitiful that even in the slots you don't have relics for it is hard to find real upgrades. Maybe make relics a lot harder to level up? Or maybe tiered relics. Something.

I played all of the DLC too. I found myself liking the dungeons, mainly as a change of pace from the clown car enemy encounters in most dungeons. They're all lighter on combat and heavier on story / atmosphere. Not great stories, mind you, but solid enough. The expansion pack? I can see it pissing people off. You start stripped of your gear which actually makes the next couple hours regain some of the exploration and discovery feel as you get happy even seeing a green item. The second half of the expansion is more typical clown car obnoxiousness but at least it has some interesting enemy abilities for once. I actually used Purge! And a lot of them have chances to bypass armor so even relying on Celestial Armor wasn't always going to work.

For the sequel I really hope they scale back on the combat. I'd rather fight more bosses than minion parades, so compensate that way maybe. Loot / relics need some sort of reworking. Anyways. Good game, if a bit of a bore toward the end at times.

Corpekata

Banned
Picked Dark Messiah back up and was amazed at how much assets MMX cribbed from it. I knew it had stuff from recent Heroes games but a ton of the NPCs are from Dark Messiah too. That is impressive cheapness Ubi, the game's 8 years old! I really hope they get the opportunity to create more new stuff for the MMX sequel.

Or maybe the cheapness is on a new level and Dark Messiah's assets are from a game I haven't played or can remember. That would be impressive.

Munin

Picked Dark Messiah back up and was amazed at how much assets MMX cribbed from it. I knew it had stuff from recent Heroes games but a ton of the NPCs are from Dark Messiah too. That is impressive cheapness Ubi, the game's 8 years old! I really hope they get the opportunity to create more new stuff for the MMX sequel.

Or maybe the cheapness is on a new level and Dark Messiah's assets are from a game I haven't played or can remember. That would be impressive.

Yeah despite all of this though the game looks impressively consistent and charming to me. Now imagine what they could do with an actual, real art budget.

Moff

Id love to see screenshots
and I dont mind it at all, it really doesnt bother me if thats whats needed to make a niche game like legacy

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The brilliant thing about GOG is that even though the put in the effort to make sure everything runs perfectly without futzing, if for some reason it doesn't run on yours you can ask for a refund. But they even got System Shock 2 to run flawlessly so I bet they don't see those requests a lot, its just great to know they guarantee them.

AaronB

I've had my eye on this game, and since I just got a powerful laptop and found M&M X for sale on GameStop for $16.74, I grabbed it. However, it's a Uplay key. Just to make sure, after plugging in the key through Uplay is it possible to access through steam, or do they remain completely separate? (I'm slightly confused since buying things from some other sites gets you a steam key, but I don't see that option here).

Knurek

So, finally bought the game when it was 50% off on some Mac site. Gonna start it whenever I finish my Chrono Trigger run.

Anyone can share some build advice post-DLC patch? Is ranged still nerfed? What magic schools are absolutely necessary?

Sinatar

So, finally bought the game when it was 50% off on some Mac site. Gonna start it whenever I finish my Chrono Trigger run.

Anyone can share some build advice post-DLC patch? Is ranged still nerfed? What magic schools are absolutely necessary?

They fixed archery, it does really good damage now.

As for required magic? You'll definitely want someone in grandmaster Earth or Light for healing, other then that go with what appeals to you, they are all viable.

OK, I finally picked this up and hooooooooly sheet is it good. Played for about 1.5 hours this afternoon and just wallowing in Giant Spiders and poison. I love the throwback gameplay with modern-ish graphics. I made a throwaway party to start, not knowing where the good balance might be, but maybe I'll keep them.

This kind of fun will tide me over until Divinity comes out in a few weeks. I can't believe I'm saying this, but...thanks Ubisoft!

Moff

very nice, I hope they get a little more budget this time.
It can look and play exactly the same for all I care, I just want a bigger world with more of everything.

Knurek

very nice, I hope they get a little more budget this time.
It can look and play exactly the same for all I care, I just want a bigger world with more of everything.

• No Unity this time, please
  • 2D Monsters (just reuse assets from Clash of Heroes or subcontract Capy to do them, please
  • Crossword puzzle
  • Alien spaceship disguised as a pyramid

Durante

I can co-sign no more Unity, and more puzzles in general, but I don't think 2D monsters would work well. I was happy enough with the aesthetics of M&MX.

Knurek

I can co-sign no more Unity, and more puzzles in general, but I don't think 2D monsters would work well. I was happy enough with the aesthetics of M&MX.

Well, they work fine for Etrian Odyssey games (and just about every Japanese Wizardry clone), and they were/are lovely in World of Xeen.
But then, I'm in the 2D > 3D camp...

Moff

I didnt mind unity that much. and my hope is that if they keep the same engine it would save them a massive amount of time and effort which could be put into a huge world and tons of content.

Minsc

Gold Member
EO and those games don't have visible monsters in levels though.

Hardly a limitation of a 2D engine tho (given lands of lore, EoB, etc all had visible monsters in levels). I'm still for a fully 3D experience myself, I don't think a 2D would sell as well in this case. It would also be cost prohibitive to animate the sprites properly, and people have higher expectations these days, partly in thanks to the upcoming Grimrock 2, which should raise the bar quite a bit.

Wiktor

• No Unity this time, please
  • 2D Monsters (just reuse assets from Clash of Heroes or subcontract Capy to do them, please
  • Crossword puzzle
  • Alien spaceship disguised as a pyramid
God no. I dan't want Capy's children anime 2D in my main M&M universe. Keep it contained to casual games where they fit properly.

flowsnake

Etrian Odyssey 4 already switched to 3D monsters, incidentally. FOEs are visible out of battle too.

So not the best example you could pick.

Sinatar

God no. I dan't want Capy's children anime 2D in my main M&M universe. Keep it contained to casual games where they fit properly.

Yea cause Might & Magic is super cereal business.

pijochl.png
EoRGo2U.png
ttVEadm.gif

Top Bottom