• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 [New images from INTI FESTA]

Skilletor

Why would you produce a sample art for the game that looked absolutely beautiful, and then proceed to make a game that looks absolutely nothing like it?

As said, Dragon's crown was made on a budget of 1 mil. For reason reason 4 times that much that wasnt enough to make an attractive looking product

Probably because most of it went to adding more content.

You know, because that's what the kickstarter listed and detailed.

nowai

Well, Vanillaware goes with something akin to flash animation for how their characters move, which probably drops costs a lot versus traditional sprite drawing, especially at that detail, and I'm not sure Mighty No. 9 would feel right with that sort of animation. But then Mighty No. 9 didn't really need a highly detailed, very smooth animation style either, so I guess it's just kind of a bum call to go full 3D versus following the example of Wayforward and AT LEAST do sprites on a 3D background or something.

Correct on Vanillaware.

A morphed and distorted static image is not remotely close to individually drawn frames on animation sprites.

Even 3D modeled animation like MN9 can be more laborious than a stretched and morphed static image.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Probably because most of it went to adding more content.

You know, because that's what the kickstarter listed and detailed.

I'd rather they have gutted all that and made the actual game they advertised on the kickstarter page as it was being funded. Having voices or a TV show means nothing if your source material fails to impress

Correct on Vanillaware.

A morphed and distorted static image is not remotely close to individually drawn frames on animation sprites.

That's true, but they still have to animate the animations of them walking or doing attacks. That morphing effect is usually just for static states where the character is not moving. I don't think its unappealing in that instance

synce

The last thing I expected here is a graphics debate, but I guess that's what everything these days seems to devolve into. I don't care how this game looks, I want to see some Roll gameplay

Skilletor

I'd rather they have gutted all that and made the actual game they advertised on the kickstarter page as it was being funded. Having voices or a TV show means nothing if your source material fails to impress

That's true, but they still have to animate the animations of them walking or doing attacks. That morphing effect is usually just for static states where the character is not moving. I don't think its unappealing in that instance

I'm getting the game the game they advertised, the game I backed, with more bosses, more modes, and available on my platform of choice.

I don't know what kickstarter you saw.

Kssio_Aug

Could see the pictures just now! Well, I was expecting it to be worse by some comments. It is already much better then the latest screens.

It is still not awesome in terms of visuals, but I can easily live with that. The most important now is the gameplay and enemies design. It could receive some more polishing though.

Zetta

Seeing as I would be okay with an 8 bit Megaman game, this looks great. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

So what I'm getting from this thread is that people who supposedly want a megaman game for the longest time, would suddenly not want a megaman game if it doesn't have good graphics?

And it's certainly not about the gameplay, as that had seemingly positive feedback.

Bedlam

Well, not great but at least it looks better than the previous screenshots.

Still, I wish I had backed Shovel Knight instead of this, for example.

nynt9

So what I'm getting from this thread is that people who supposedly want a megaman game for the longest time, would suddenly not want a megaman game if it doesn't have good graphics?

And it's certainly not about the gameplay, as that had seemingly positive feedback.

You can want something overall but still be disappointed by how it turned out.

And there's some gameplay concerns too, as from videos and impressions it doesn't exactly play like mega man classic, more like a score attack game.

la_briola

Didn't you know? Graphics are 90% of the whole game.

Since 2000.

I think they do something similar to this:

alex_thrid_strike_hd_by_steamboy33-d4vmx3y.gif

But sort of better.

This looks awful and all kind of wrong.

shaowebb

Sadly, after seeing the combo based gameplay of dashing through enemies I feel kinda turned off on the game due to that combat gimmick. I'm happy with Gunvolt though and glad it will be getting a sequel. Honestly got pretty put off by Inafune's cartoon and second kickstarter and general behavior on the project. Hadn't even finished the game and suddenly asks for more money and then says he's doing an animated show for it? Bleh...not cool.

Meh...guess I just feel a bit worn out on this project since Inafune started behaving like he was still Capcom there for awhile. Kamiya said it best...Inafune is a businessman more than a creator.

jholmes

Man I have a lot of issues with the MN9 campaign but I can't agree with all you people badmouthing how the game looks. I like these screens a lot better than the last batch.

Top Bottom