• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9: Work-in-Progress Gameplay Footage

ArjanN

The graphic style in this WORK-IN--PROGRESS video really remind me a lot of the look of A.R.E.S. (of course that game was very Megaman inspired to begin with.)

Famassu

Yep, not hyped for this. I wish they would cel-shade it. The graphics look really dull, but the game is still a while off so I will wait for the final product before making further judgment.
And people still wonder why publishers show target renders, pre-rendered CGI trailers etc. when they show games in the middle of development.

yurinka

What happened? I was hoping for Rayman Legends style shading like the concept art.
xwyJARS.jpg
Looks good but I also I'd like to see a more 2Dish characters, more similar to this concept art. Let's hope they address it in the future with some shader to be applied or other technical wizardy.

Azure J

Looks good but I also I'd like to see a more 2Dish characters, more similar to this concept art. Let's hope they address it in the future with some shader to be applied or other technical wizardy.

With GGXrd being made on the same engine, my hopes are the highest they've been in a while regarding graphical styles, but for what it's trying to communicate in such an early stage, this video is great.

Can't wait for this !!!

This is the real deal Mega Man game we've been waiting for !

I love the graphics, music and the gameplay seems to be tight.

Nokterian

Do people not understand that this is still in development and doesn't represent for the final product? Is everyone blind not to see the big text on the right corner when watching the video? Unbelievable..it clearly shows WORKS IN PROGRESS. Learn to read people sjeez.

thefro

Music is great, core gameplay looks pretty good, level design needs some work (seems like test levels more than something really thought out)

Something's still off about the graphics to me, but that's obviously not final yet.

Remark

Banned
The nit-picking on this site bothers me sometimes. Ugh.

This looks good though obviously not complete and I know there still going to do a lot more with the game :)

Hindl

Looks amazing, especially for the state of development it's in. As someone said above, people throwing criticism at something for polish/graphics at this stage in development are why publishers keep throwing out bullshots and pre-rendered cinematics like candy. A lot of polish can be added in a year. The gameplay and music looks great to me, so I'm more than satisfied

S1kkZ

footage looks great. this is still pre-alpha and the final game wont come out until spring 2015 (which means its at least 10 months away).

plenty of time to improve the visuals.

And people still wonder why publishers show target renders, pre-rendered CGI trailers etc. when they show games in the middle of development.

I think most of the complaints in here are pretty reasonable, but you have a point, aside from the fact that this certainly isn't in the AAA space or has to put food on the table of 9000 employees.

Is this all about dashing into enemies? It seems like a hollow mechanic.

I think what's clear from the footage is that this is both a traversal mechanic and part of a scoring system. The enemy destruction portion of the dash and the subsequent score aren't free, the enemy has to be stunned with a shot first, and the score seems based on how quickly after the stun you dash through the enemy, with a chain bonus based on how quickly you kill the next enemy.

Aside from being able to dash through bullets, we don't know if he's invincible dashing into enemies, but one would assume that having to stun an enemy with a shot first might imply you can't. What's on display here has a good flow to it though, it looks like it plays like MMX without a wall jump but with a system that promotes speed running.

Looks great if not a little antiseptic

I hope they fill in all the empty space with detail.

Might be challenging give the 2D/3D hybrid nature

mattp

gameplay looks like a solid foundation for a good megaman game
but am i alone in hoping these are not the final graphics/style/shaders?
it looks so bland :\

edit: i'm aware this is work in progress

Kssio_Aug

Is it by any chance coming for PS Vita & PS4 as a crossbuy??
Amazing! I love the old Mega Man X and this game feels like a proper "reboot". I am definitely buying it!

Famassu

The only thing I did kind of find disappointing is that there didn't seem to be any wall-jump. That's, like, almost one of my favorite traversal moves about Mega Man X. It'll feel so weird not having such a fundamental move (if the game doesn't have it at all?), when otherwise it does remind of MMX. :S

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do people not understand that this is still in development and doesn't represent for the final product? Is everyone blind not to see the big text on the right corner when watching the video? Unbelievable..it clearly shows WORKS IN PROGRESS. Learn to read people sjeez.

This isn't leaked footage. This was put out by them. Work-in-progress or not, people are allowed to have an opinion on it and like to know what they're shooting for art style wise as I'm sure there's many people who backed this product based on the Concept Art.

Something tells me you wouldn't be saying this if it were an Ubisoft or EA 'work in progress'.

Yeah I hope it gets a little more cel shaded.

However, the gameplay itself and music look top notch, and I am glad to have backed it.

**Carry on Comcept

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Still early, but really liking how it's shaping up so far.

Now I'm wondering how Call's moveset will deviate from this, if at all.

Teeth

I think that's the bounciest run animation I've ever seen in a 2D game.

Dash mechanic looks great. Aside from the inherent collision conveyance in 2.5D games, this could be ace.

LeonDekoda

Neo Member
I'm soooo hyped for this as well guys! But still, I don't understand the hate i'm seeing elsewhere online. "It moves too slow, the graphics are ugly, etc etc."

I HONESTLY don't get why people are chastising this game even though it has the big-old "ALPHA" label in the corner. That's honestly gotta mean something these days. We cant have alpha's that work perfectly out of the box on the first day, like Minecraft did!

That being said, as an Alpha, the game looks incredible both gameplay wise and graphically! As a designer myself, I like how they have made it so you move slow normally, but you need to use that dash move in combat! That (for me) is quite genius! Simple, but genius! It's that little one-button move that shakes up the entire game!

If I could say anything negative, they could sharpen up a few of the minor visuals here and there (Better AA, more vibrant colors), but now I'm just nit-picking!

Keep it up, Inafune! Looking forward to this! :)

BadWolf

People still complaining about graphics? C'mon guys.

They will nail the gameplay first. They will be polishing the graphics at the end.

This is why devs don't like showing works in progress, people start mistaking them for the final product and complaining.

People still complaining about graphics? C'mon guys.

They will nail the gameplay first. They will be polishing the graphics at the end.

This is why devs don't like showing works in progress, people start mistaking it for the final product and complaining.

Developer in "asked for feedback, received feedback" surprise

SHOCKING NEWS

I think it looks good, reminds me a bit of Mega Man: Powered Up & Maverick Hunter X and lord knows those are two of my favorite games ever. Looking forward to more footage.

Top Bottom