• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

From the previous pre-releases I've installed, I've considered them Mojang's way of finding out if there are any last minute bugs that went unnoticed. The enthusiasts will install it early, report back, and then the problems can get fixed before the masses do their update.

Though, I've never seen a pre-release come out 1 day before the official before.

I see. Will the official update just automatically override my current 1.2 preview version tomorrow?

And by the way, the game has some pretty nasty screen tearing when I fullscreen it with F11. There's no tearing in windowed mode or if I enlarge the screen by pressing the square on top right corner but in that case I can see the taskbar and so forth, which is distracting. D3DOverrider didn't help either.

Any ideas? GTX 570 GPU if it's relevant.

edit: Nevermind, turning Vsync on in the Geforce driver worked.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm pretty sure the new jungle biome will not create itself unless you generate a new world. At least AFAIK. That was what was being stated when they were revealed during a previous snapshot. This may have changed as I didn't pay much attention to all of the snapshots since my focus shifted to getting a dedicated server with a ton of custom code ready for 1.2.

The last I heard, with the new Anvil world type implemented in 1.2 for map data storage which stores biome data with chunk data, jungles will now appear in new chunk generation on old maps. Did Jeb retract this claim, and I just missed it?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
The last I heard, with the new Anvil world type implemented in 1.2 for map data storage which stores biome data with chunk data, jungles will now appear in new chunk generation on old maps. Did Jeb retract this claim, and I just missed it?

Honestly, you could be absolutely right. I just remember the first reports stating a new world was required. Dug in deep to code plugins and get the server set for launch after that.

Xun

When 1.2 hits who fancies building something like this?

TangledCastle13.jpg

Could be another community project.

Mengy

When 1.2 hits who fancies building something like this?

Could be another community project.

A high mountain village, that would be cool.

I still think our first 1.2 community project should be a Tower City though. Towers up to the new height limit, with suspended bridges / walkways all the way up there linking them together. Kind of like the Ewok village but without the tall trees. It would give us one location to let everyone get their inevitable "super tall towers" out of the way. Besides I think it would look kind of cool from ground level, a whole area full of towers that loom above the clouds.

-SD-

Banned
v1.2 is out: http://www.mojang.com/2012/03/minecraft-1-2-is-out/

Mojang said:
Minecraft version 1.2 (actually 1.2.1) is now officially released! Get it by updating the game in the Minecraft launcher. Features include:

- New jungle biome
- Added ocelots
- Added cats
- Added iron golems
- New AI for mobs
- Tame wolves can have puppies
- Villagers will have children if there is room in their village
- New map height limit (256 instead of 128)
- New items and blocks
- Doors have been updated so that double-doors work better with redstone
- Added rare drops for mobs
- Many other minor tweaks and fixes

In addition, the Minecraft launcher has been updated. The new launcher should properly select 64 bit Java installations for Mac OS X users. If you haven’t downloaded Minecraft yet you can grab it here: www.minecraft.net/download

Bakphoon

Can someone check if ennemies do catch fire by sunlight?

They catch fire (at least in creative mode)

So, don't upgrade until NeoCRAFT updates, right?

Just backup your minecraft.jar and you can upgrade. Just dont forget that you musnt touch worlds that you have played with 1.2 if you downgrade again.

I also have high hopes that 1.3 will have already all bukkit plugins included.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/175224622525071363

jeb said:
Updated Minecraft to 1.2.2 because birches and pine trees were missing. Birches love pine trees.

1.2.2 ... This reminds me of the alpha times.

Grinchy

Banned
Awesome, the update is out! Now the tower I was working on can be much larger, I'm assuming.

edit- WOW the new height limit is insane. I started to get scared on my way up lol

Ranger X

Awesome, the update is out! Now the tower I was working on can be much larger, I'm assuming.

edit- WOW the new height limit is insane. I started to get scared on my way up lol

Minecraft is awesome. I think it's only game to ever make me feel some vertigo. (well, at least in the first months I was playing)

legacyzero

Banned
Clicks "Not now".

Oh that question is going to be very evil every time I load Minecraft.
EXACTLY!

the last update was very tough because it was like 3-4 weeks before Neocraft got updated. I'm hoping they get things rolling faster this time around.

Skycity is gonna be GORGEOUS when that height limit is increased.

Mengy

Clicks "Not now".

Oh that question is going to be very evil every time I load Minecraft.

Don't be scared of it. Just save the current minecraft.jar file to a copy renamed with a v1.1 on the end of it like I do, update, and then you can go back and forth at will.

Oh, and I won't be on Neocraft tonight. I'm most certainly upgrading to 1.2 and playing some Minecraft all night long. I'm starting a new map again in SSP, with the changes to biome generation I want to see how my spawn island (and the world around it) on my current SSP world changes with the patch. Then I'm going to build a huge tower base marking my spawn point. Just because I CAN!

Minecraft is one of the few games where I absolutely love starting from scratch every now and then, leaving all of my treasures and spoils behind, simply to experience the starting anew aspect of the game. You would think with a practically infinite world I could stick with one map. It's the exploring a new frontiers from a nothing beginning part of the game that always gets me excited I guess.

Morokh

I tried to make the lamp posts you see in the video with the upside down stairs, but it took fire :eek:, don't know what i did wrong .. xD

-Minsc-

Don't be scared of it. Just save the current minecraft.jar file to a copy renamed with a v1.1 on the end of it like I do, update, and then you can go back and forth at will.

Oh, and I won't be on Neocraft tonight. I'm most certainly upgrading to 1.2 and playing some Minecraft all night long. I'm starting a new map again in SSP, with the changes to biome generation I want to see how my spawn island (and the world around it) on my current SSP world changes with the patch. Then I'm going to build a huge tower base marking my spawn point. Just because I CAN!

Minecraft is one of the few games where I absolutely love starting from scratch every now and then, leaving all of my treasures and spoils behind, simply to experience the starting anew aspect of the game. You would think with a practically infinite world I could stick with one map. It's the exploring a new frontiers from a nothing beginning part of the game that always gets me excited I guess.

At the end of the day it's not all that big of a deal to me. As long as I can play the game in some form I'm good to go.

EVIL

Woopsie, because of the creeper damage ordeal she thought it was oke to update (I fucked up her brains). so she needs to roll back to 1.1

Mengy

Same, the new height limit is a big deal.

Yeah, the ability to build huge structures on the very top of the tallest mountains is going to be extremely freeing. I honestly doubt I'll often get very close to the new 256 limit, but being able to build in the 128 - 180 range makes me smile. So many times in this game I've hit the ceiling and wanted to go just a bit higher. I couldn't even count the number of times that's happened to me in Minecraft. But yeah, I admit, my first mega project in SSP is going to indeed be a tower to 256. Just because I can, lol.

Once Neocraft goes to 1.2, I expect Sky City to take on a whole new level of being. I know I plan on making myself an island above the clouds...

EVIL

isobelise is now playing 1.2 in SP and she is going nuts with breeting kitties, so expect her whool shop on skycity to be filled with kitties

edit: our own cats are going nuts on the kittie and kittin sounds, they are trying to find them behind the speakers

BooJoh

I haven't played in a while, is the jungle ruins cave with traps and stuff in the trailer a new feature, or just something they built for the video? (Obviously I don't mean the golem room, just the entryway arch and the jungle cave with traps.)

Top Bottom