• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Yeah, underwater builds are a PITA. It's not TOO hard once you've got the baseline there (ie: some air pocket to rely on), but it's long and tedious, especially with any leak causing your movement to slow to a crawl. I felt accomplished for building underwater rooms several magnitudes smaller than that which you're attempting, so kudos to you once it's done.

Sometimes I kinda wish that there were much, much, MUCH deeper oceans in which you could build really tall underwater bases... or better yet, came with pre-generated underwater bases to explore. Instead you get kinda-sorta-deep oceans with the occasional ravine. Bleh.

Ranger X

Seriously, this game needs to expand underwater.

We should be crafting some "underwater helmet" like that:

iron / iron / iron
iron / glass / iron

Blizzard

Banned
The biggest underwater problem for me, even aside from breathing and lack of underwater decorations, is being unable to SEE anything due to the water getting opaque so quickly.

-SD-

Banned
Very glad to see this being put into the game. Soon, I can make my spiral stair tower the proper way.

QVA1C.png

https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/172976800568315904

-Minsc-

Yeah, underwater builds are a PITA. It's not TOO hard once you've got the baseline there (ie: some air pocket to rely on), but it's long and tedious, especially with any leak causing your movement to slow to a crawl. I felt accomplished for building underwater rooms several magnitudes smaller than that which you're attempting, so kudos to you once it's done.

Sometimes I kinda wish that there were much, much, MUCH deeper oceans in which you could build really tall underwater bases... or better yet, came with pre-generated underwater bases to explore. Instead you get kinda-sorta-deep oceans with the occasional ravine. Bleh.

Here's the dimensions for those curious. The dome has a radius of 26 with a glass height of 14. Below the glass I've added a four block high stone base to give some added building height.

The biggest underwater problem for me, even aside from breathing and lack of underwater decorations, is being unable to SEE anything due to the water getting opaque so quickly.

I hear you. At first the only solution I could think of was glowstone. It works, however I hated having to break it all the time. The use of a fence "ceiling" increased the glowstone efficiency. Last night, to counter the inability of torches to be placed on glass, I had the idea of placing torches on a fencepost stand.

Here's my current method.

As you can see, it takes a lot of preparation to safely place one layer of glass. Each level I have to raise the fence ceiling and move out the dirt retaining wall. Placing the glass is the quickest part of the whole project.

Very glad to see this being put into the game. Soon, I can make my spiral stair tower the proper way.

QVA1C.png

https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/172976800568315904

Cool. Now if he'll introduce "wall" blocks. I like the look of brick and stone as an exterior. However, the ability to have a different interior without making a two block thick wall would be awesome.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I hear you. At first the only solution I could think of was glowstone. It works, however I hated having to break it all the time. The use of a fence "ceiling" increased the glowstone efficiency. Last night, to counter the inability of torches to be placed on glass, I had the idea of placing torches on a fencepost stand.

Jack-O-Lanterns Use lighted pumpkins to light up underwater stuff. It's the main reason why I grow pumpkins at all. They are easy to grow, easy to place, and more importantly easy to remove without wasting them.

-Minsc-

Jack-O-Lanterns Use lighted pumpkins to light up underwater stuff. It's the main reason why I grow pumpkins at all. They are easy to grow, easy to place, and more importantly easy to remove without wasting them.

Man, I completely forgot about those. Heck, I even made a mental note on Arts use of Jack-O-Lanterns in his harvester pens. Brain fart anyone?

vinicius

Neo Member
What I once did was place a extra layer or glass and fill it with lava. Gave it a nice touch like an underwater giant lavalamp.

My PC parts came today and it is all built and currently letting Windows 7 do it's update thing (seriously why does it take longer to install the OS than build a damn PC ?). Anyway first task after that is to get Minecraft back on my PC and get cracking on with that Rollercoaster now I have a decent PC again.

Mengy

My PC parts came today and it is all built and currently letting Windows 7 do it's update thing (seriously why does it take longer to install the OS than build a damn PC ?). Anyway first task after that is to get Minecraft back on my PC and get cracking on with that Rollercoaster now I have a decent PC again.

Are you using Win7 64 bit or 32 bit? If 64 then be SURE to install Java 64 bit and not Java 32 bit. Makes a huge difference on Win 7 and is the difference between a slideshow fest with random crashes versus a high FPS smooth as butter crash-free Minecraft.

Are you using Win7 64 bit or 32 bit? If 64 then be SURE to install Java 64 bit and not Java 32 bit. Makes a huge difference on Win 7 and is the difference between a slideshow fest with random crashes versus a high FPS smooth as butter crash-free Minecraft.

Yeah got that covered, been using Win 7 64bit since it's release and I managed about 5 mins of gameplay with minecraft using 32bit Java before it unceremoniously kept crashing. So I will be shoving the 64bit version of Java on after Windows finishes the 107 updates grrr. But thanks for the heads up.

Mengy

Yeah got that covered, been using Win 7 64bit since it's release and I managed about 5 mins of gameplay with minecraft using 32bit Java before it unceremoniously kept crashing. So I will be shoving the 64bit version of Java on after Windows finishes the 107 updates grrr. But thanks for the heads up.

No problem. Can't have Dome City go unattended!!! :D

legacyzero

Banned
I made that mistake too. Went to the 64 bit and it helped on the draw distance too.

Black-Box

use a bucket to breath underwater, than you will never have problems underwater ever again, unless you are in the middle of no where

-SD-

Banned
My biggest excavation yet (diameter: 127) is nearing completion. No mods, creative mode, TNT or enchantments used. Just lots of patience and dedication.

Managed to do a new personal record the other day: ~36,000 blocks removed in 45 hours. Thanks to diamond pickaxes which are pretty common now that I'm so close to bedrock.

This GIF was made when there were still 6 layers to bedrock. The big lava lakes are now visible. Not visible in their largest extent, though.

mineshaft_day_to_nigh2rjvd.gif

Mengy

We made quite the place today on Neocraft. We took a mountain, blew it all to hell with TNT, and ended up with a swiss cheese of a mountain:

THEN, we spent hours planting grass, trees, vines, waterfalls, and even turned the largest crater into a lake, and ended up with this:

I also made a portal in the nether to Roche's Oasis, down in a huge cavern under the lake. The nether portal is linked by a cobble road that connects Oasis portal to my nether base portal and then to the Sky City portal. If anyone else wants to link up there own portals to this nether road feel free.

My biggest excavation yet (diameter: 127) is nearing completion. No mods, creative mode or TNT used. Just lots of patience and dedication.

Managed to do a new personal record the other day: ~36,000 blocks removed in 45 hours. Thanks to diamond pickaxes which are pretty common now that I'm so close to bedrock.

This GIF was made when there were still 6 layers to bedrock. The big lava lakes are now visible. Not visible in their largest extent, though.

mineshaft_day_to_nigh2rjvd.gif

O_O Hats off to your dedication! Looks really good!

We made quite the place today on Neocraft. We took a mountain, blew it all to hell with TNT, and ended up with a swiss cheese of a mountain:

THEN, we spent hours planting grass, trees, vines, waterfalls, and even turned the largest crater into a lake, and ended up with this:

I also made a portal in the nether to Roche's Oasis, down in a huge cavern under the lake. The nether portal is linked by a cobble road that connects Oasis portal to my nether base portal and then to the Sky City portal. If anyone else wants to link up there own portals to this nether road feel free.

Saw the video! Looks amazing!

-Minsc-

So... yeah.

Took me this long to realize that when I was laying in bed earlier I was placing blocks of clay and stuff to build up the ceiling in my bedroom. This was all so I could push back the water and continue building my dome.

It has invaded my dreams, I have taken the next step in Minecraft evolution.

Rapstah

So... yeah.

Took me this long to realize that when I was laying in bed earlier I was placing blocks of clay and stuff to build up the ceiling in my bedroom. This was all so I could push back the water and continue building my dome.

I have been building paths in my real-life environments with Rollercoaster Tycoon blocks for 12-13 years now, you're lucky.

legacyzero

Banned
So... yeah.

My first Weekend of Minecraft was like that! ALL NIGHT dreaming of exploring caves and finding goodies.

MackVee

Neo Member
Hmmm...how come my portal leads me to Mengys nether base and when I go back through it takes me to his fortress and not my base?

Grinchy

Banned
Hmmm...how come my portal leads me to Mengys nether base and when I go back through it takes me to his fortress and not my base?

I always found the portals to be wonky in MP. Other people can explain why this happens better than me, but the layman's description is, "portals suck in MP."

Mengy

Is it a portal you just built? When you build a new portal and go through it for the first time, the game creates the nether side portal. It first tries to create the nether portal where it is supposed to be, but if it can't for some reason (over a lava lake, embedded in solid netherrack) then the game will do one of two things:

1. Create the nether portal as close as it can to where it is supposed to be, but then usually when you go back to the overworld you will get a third portal whose coordinates correspond to the "out of place" portal (it won't take you back to where you started)

or

2. The game finds an already existing but close nether portal and takes you there instead and never creates the new portal

My guess is you had #2 happen to you. There is a way to fix this however. You need to find out where in the nether your portal is supposed to be. Write down your overworld's portal coordinates, divide them by 8, and this will give you your nether coordinates for where your nether portal should be. Once you have the coordinates then get to the nether and travel to where you portal is supposed to exist. You will most likely either find solid netherrack there or be standing in the middle of a lava lake.

Now to fix it, all you have to do is clear out a cave (or make an island over the lava lake) and build your nether portal where it is supposed to be by hand. Then, when you step into your new nether portal is will magically take you to your overworld portal (because the game now has two portals whose coordinates will match like they are supposed to).

Nether portals can be a bit frustrating, but as long as you understand how they work and also know how to fix them when they don't then it's not bad at all. I've fixed up dozens of portals in the way I describe above, works every time. This is true for both SSP and SMP, portals break like this in both.

Mengy

Portals suck in general, it's not a MP-specific thing.

Nah, see I'm just the opposite. I love portals and the nether. Especially in SSP where I tend to travel far distances. The portals as a quick travel transportation device are hugely awesome.

Grinchy

Banned
Nah, see I'm just the opposite. I love portals and the nether. Especially in SSP where I tend to travel far distances. The portals as a quick travel transportation device are hugely awesome.

I use portals for that in SSP too and I also love the Nether.

In fact, I really need to build a big Nether base. Maybe I should do that next.

Ranger X

Hey Ark, I suppose you have bandwidth data from the server? I was wondering how much bandwidth such a server can use for a month. PM me if you don't want to post this here.

tks man

Morokh

Just a little tip for those who love to use the Blaze Grinder, you can have a big supply of snowballs by making something like this :

Snow-Farm-1block.png

Just aim at the block under the snowman with a shovel and it goes really fast.

Someone made one, just left of MtheMsg (don't sure about the spelling on this one :p well the big lava tower that is now gone ) house in Skycity.

defel

Just a little tip for those who love to use the Blaze Grinder, you can have a big supply of snowballs by making something like this :

Just aim at the block under the snowman with a shovel and it goes really fast.

Someone made one, just left of MtheMsg (don't sure about the spelling on this one :p well the big lava tower that is now gone ) house in Skycity.

Ye I made that one. Ideally we want a portal next to the Blaze Grinder that goes to a snowman in the overworld since snowmen dont drop snow in the nether. We go through snowballs so quickly so it would be convenient. Reading the portal lore post above it looks like that should possible.

andy

Top Bottom