• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Spuit and I made quite a bit of cobble roads and bridges in the nether this weekend linking a bunch of portals together. I put a few signpost arches up to giving directions, I have more to place yet too. This new nether is real easy to get lost in, figured it was a good idea to have marked paths. Also we wanted a fast way to get back to the Roche Oasis way out north (is it east now?). These are the portal locations linked up so far:

Sky City
Echo Dome
Mengy's Fortress
Roche Oasis
Spuit's Castle

The awesome blaze grinder mentioned a few posts above is close by to the Sky City portal, there is a sign there with directions. If anyone wants to link up there own portals with a road feel free. I know there is a portal at Artistdude's harvester, I may try to pave a road to that tonight. Though I'm more interested in placing roads to portals without /warp points.

Mengy

Blaze Grinder?

How does this work?

To be honest I'm not even sure how it works or is designed, but I'll be damned if it isn't freakin awesome. You gotta go to the nether and check it out. There are directions posted on how to use it. It works amazingly well. I'm going to have to research how to build one myself, because I'm so going to make one in my new SSP world for 1.2.

defel

Blaze Grinder?

How does this work?

Blaze spawn from a spawner in a chamber at the top, pistons along the walls push them down to a chamber at the bottom. They enter a crushing chamber where pistons crush the blaze until they all have 1HP left. You then melee the blaze killing them instantly and collecting the xp. In SMP melee doesnt work so we have to use snowballs. Its really effective since Blaze give double the XP of all other mobs and you can easily gain 20 levels in 60 seconds if you let the Blaze spawn for about 15 minutes. If you wait 2-3 hours letting the blaze spawn I recon you could get from level 1-50 in one go but Ive not tested that yet.

Its a carbon copy of this spawner here by EthosLabs if you want to make one yourself.

Grinchy

Banned
holy shit I am going to have to try this blaze farming

edit- ok that was a bit more intricate than I was expecting. I think I'm going to have fun building that.

defel

Here's a shot of the Blaze farm from the top for those that are curious:
j5LaWQDfVgWS0.png

Ive now added a portal to a couple of snowmen right next to the grinder so it should be easy to get snowballs now.

MackVee

Neo Member
Is it a portal you just built? When you build a new portal and go through it for the first time, the game creates the nether side portal. It first tries to create the nether portal where it is supposed to be, but if it can't for some reason (over a lava lake, embedded in solid netherrack) then the game will do one of two things:

1. Create the nether portal as close as it can to where it is supposed to be, but then usually when you go back to the overworld you will get a third portal whose coordinates correspond to the "out of place" portal (it won't take you back to where you started)

or

2. The game finds an already existing but close nether portal and takes you there instead and never creates the new portal

My guess is you had #2 happen to you. There is a way to fix this however. You need to find out where in the nether your portal is supposed to be. Write down your overworld's portal coordinates, divide them by 8, and this will give you your nether coordinates for where your nether portal should be. Once you have the coordinates then get to the nether and travel to where you portal is supposed to exist. You will most likely either find solid netherrack there or be standing in the middle of a lava lake.

Now to fix it, all you have to do is clear out a cave (or make an island over the lava lake) and build your nether portal where it is supposed to be by hand. Then, when you step into your new nether portal is will magically take you to your overworld portal (because the game now has two portals whose coordinates will match like they are supposed to).

Nether portals can be a bit frustrating, but as long as you understand how they work and also know how to fix them when they don't then it's not bad at all. I've fixed up dozens of portals in the way I describe above, works every time. This is true for both SSP and SMP, portals break like this in both.

Very detailed and informative, ta.

Kudo's to the Blaze xp grinder, I imagine that wasn't an easy job to partake in.

I updated my dropbox map again, it shows everything since this weekend:

Mengy's Neocraft Map

That it certainly does :-/ . I will erm sit here waiting for the PM from Ark shall I ?

On a related note the Dome City Doom Coaster is almost complete :-

NtYg5l.jpg

MlGLHl.jpg

It is fully functional but as with all things minecraft wise lag reduces the fun of it a little. So just to be on the safe side DO NOT ride it whilst carrying your entire life time collection of diamonds.

That it certainly does :-/ . I will erm sit here waiting for the PM from Ark shall I ?

On a related note the Dome City Doom Coaster is almost complete :-

NtYg5l.jpg

MlGLHl.jpg

It is fully functional but as with all things minecraft wise lag reduces the fun of it a little. So just to be on the safe side DO NOT ride it whilst carrying your entire life time collection of diamonds.

This is before we reworked the TARDIS so it's a bit different now. :)

Juravsky

Bukkit team joins Mojang! http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit-the-next-chapter.62489/

I am extremely pleased and proud to announce that, as of today, the Bukkit team has joined Mojang. When discussing the possibility of a modding API publicly, Mojang was concerned that they would be unable to provide the community with a suitable and powerful enough solution and we honestly feel that our experience building Bukkit will help them do so. Thanks to our work with Bukkit, we have a years worth of experience, failures and lessons to help us develop a proper modding API and intend to do whatever it takes to produce one that satisfies the needs of the community. Now that we have an opportunity to design the official Minecraft API, we intend to make it a suitable replacement for Bukkit, if not a significantly better one, while bukkit.org will remain a community for modders for the foreseeable future.

It's also in http://www.mojang.com/ but the link to the article doesn't work well

Mengy

-Minsc-

Logically when one wants a pasture in Minecraft they search around for an open, fairly flat piece of land.

Me, I do things the hard way.

Huh, why am I PM'ing you?
Damn you saw that :/ erm no reason honest guv'nor. Well it's erm just that the rollercoaster has a french dessert attraction. It is nothing major just a couple of harmless pink blancmanges with red cherry's on top which from erm "certain" angles may look like big wobbly funbags to dirty minded people. Anyway that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Mengy

Is that really going to happen?

With the bukkit team now a part of Mojang and working in the same place, yeah, I would expect bukkit to update with the Minecraft client simultaneously. Hell, bukkit might just be integrated right into the server client. This news is really just that good.

Maybe not for 1.2 though, it may take a patch or two to get everyone in sync.

legacyzero

Banned
With the bukkit team now a part of Mojang and working in the same place, yeah, I would expect bukkit to update with the Minecraft client simultaneously. Hell, bukkit might just be integrated right into the server client. This news is really just that good.

Maybe not for 1.2 though, it may take a patch or two to get everyone in sync.
1.2 is a big update. I'm hoping this happens right away!

While I'd absolutely positively adore having Bukkit built-in for 1.2, I'm not all that confident that it'll actually happen.

Still, if it did, that'd be awesome.

1.2 doesn't have a release date yet, does it...?

Can't wait for 1.2 update. I used the snapshots for 1.8 and such so I am waiting this time. Should be fun and I can't wait to be playing Minecraft more again.

Krilekk

Banned
I wonder if with that update it will be possible to put 2 different halfblocks in one block space...

No. There can only be one type of block in any given space and that doesn't change with Anvil. 1.2 release is next week or the one after that. 1.2. is feature complete, they are just doing bugfixing now.

Scirrocco

Behold my first large scale project on my offline world, the bridge to no where!

BUA5em.png

Okay not as impressive as a 120 diameter column straight to bedrock, but its the largest thing i've made so far. I'm probably going to put a house on the left hand peak. You can't see it but its got a great view of the ocean. Its roughly circular, so maybe a wizard tower might fit.

On the online side of things, i'm currently burning down an entire forest while dressed as Captain Planet somewhere on the Neocraft server. So theres that.

Mengy

1.2 release TOMORROW!?

Sounds like 1.2 hits tomorrow. Also, this new block shows up in creative mode, but isn't apparently craftable in the game yet:

5VP4J.png

Some other changes that apparently are in:

•Added mechanical sounds for Iron Golems
•When crafting slabs, you now get 6 instead of 3
•When crafting ladders, you now get 3 instead of 2
•New biome data values in F3 mode per coordinates

Jasoco

Banned
So nice to see progress moving so fast and nice.

I wonder what that block is. I don't care. More blocks means more awesome shit.

The only thing I hate is when an update requires a new world to get everything new.

According to the wiki, it's just a new stone brick variation, like mossy/cracked.

Also going by the wiki: "Fixed lava lakes generating over bedrock". That was a bug? I thought the lava lakes could ALWAYS go down to below bedrock level (which made them a right PITA to mop up with gravel, as I recall).

Zona

The problem was that since lakes generate after everything else they would occasionally generate in and replace the bedrock. If you removed the lava and dug the stone under it you'd see the void.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
According to the wiki, it's just a new stone brick variation, like mossy/cracked.

Also going by the wiki: "Fixed lava lakes generating over bedrock". That was a bug? I thought the lava lakes could ALWAYS go down to below bedrock level (which made them a right PITA to mop up with gravel, as I recall).

If they generate too low, they replace bedrock with stone, which can create holes to The Void. Presumably they adjusted the lowest level up one or two to prevent that.

I see.

Damn, I was hoping this was a guarantee that there wouldn't be bedrock interspersed in the lava pits I'm trying to dry up so I can get at the diamonds they're hiding. Oh well...

Mengy

So nice to see progress moving so fast and nice.

I wonder what that block is. I don't care. More blocks means more awesome shit.

The only thing I hate is when an update requires a new world to get everything new.

That's one of the best parts of 1.2. If the biome and world data changes works correctly you shouldn't ever have to start a new world to get new stuff, not ever again. Just explore to generate new lands and the new chunks will have all new content possible.

Grinchy

Banned
How's a preview release different from a regular release? Can I simply install that preview thingy and enjoy the full 1.2 version today?

From the previous pre-releases I've installed, I've considered them Mojang's way of finding out if there are any last minute bugs that went unnoticed. The enthusiasts will install it early, report back, and then the problems can get fixed before the masses do their update.

Though, I've never seen a pre-release come out 1 day before the official before.

Black-Box

That's one of the best parts of 1.2. If the biome and world data changes works correctly you shouldn't ever have to start a new world to get new stuff, not ever again. Just explore to generate new lands and the new chunks will have all new content possible.
well it seems I will be finding a new home in a few days

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I'm pretty sure the new jungle biome will not create itself unless you generate a new world. At least AFAIK. That was what was being stated when they were revealed during a previous snapshot. This may have changed as I didn't pay much attention to all of the snapshots since my focus shifted to getting a dedicated server with a ton of custom code ready for 1.2.

I posted a few pages back what we were going to be doing on the server if anyone would like to take a look. Just racked the server that was purchased in the data center today. I'm hoping some of you guys that currently play on the neogaf server drop in and give it a look when bukkit for 1.2 is released. It will be something that gives you a little change of pace in the game to experience when you're feeling like doing something different than what you are on the current gaf server.

Top Bottom