• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

The zoom feature in Optifine is awesome for pictures.

hRBeFl.png

defel

So Ive been playing around more with the Technic Pack during the last few days. So far Ive got a power system set up, automated smelting and a bit of a tree farm going. Over the next few days I hope to get a Quarry working and then I plan to start a factory/industrial park. I want to have an underground train system linking the quarrys and oil pipelines back to the base (sounds crazy huh?) The MOD is fantastic, especially if you're looking for something new in Minecraft. It has quite a steep learning curve and Ive got a long way to go but youtube has plenty of videos to ease the learning process. Once I get something that's operational Ill post a few screenshots. It runs in a separate client so you can still play vanilla MC without having to mess about with the jar files. Check it out!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Woop, found my mosque. I can actually have the giant dome that I wanted on it now. Too bad I can't get myself to play minecraft anymore. I want to build some epic structures but I'm lazy. :(

Yeah, found my sandstone tower at spawn too. I always wanted it taller but couldn't. I should make it anew on Neocraft once 1.2 hits and make it really tall.

Cool map render though. Brings back memories.

Krilekk

Banned
Anybody bored by Minecraft? ;) There always comes a time when I have built everything, farmed everything, been everywhere on a server and I want to see something new. I want to keep my buildings but at the same time I want to rebuild from the ground up, have a fresh start and improve on the last world. Nothing seems to be as exhilarating as once again finding my first diamond and carving a fresh world after my ideas. Just walking to new chunks doesn't do the trick because the bigger a world gets, the more spread out all the players are. And then it just feels like SSP.

Is there anywhere to DL the current GAF amusement park map/snapshot? My son would love to explore it.

There wasn't until now :p. I have managed to export the Amusement park dome into a single player world and you can download it here :-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18837300/Amusement%20Park.zip

Just download that and unzip it into your minecraft save game folder and you will be able to explore the Amusement park dome. I have checked the rollercoaster works, as does the Zipinator and Procrastinator42's challenge arena.

Anyway enjoy

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Anybody bored by Minecraft? ;) There always comes a time when I have built everything, farmed everything, been everywhere on a server and I want to see something new. I want to keep my buildings but at the same time I want to rebuild from the ground up, have a fresh start and improve on the last world. Nothing seems to be as exhilarating as once again finding my first diamond and carving a fresh world after my ideas. Just walking to new chunks doesn't do the trick because the bigger a world gets, the more spread out all the players are. And then it just feels like SSP.

Nah, I'm just the opposite, I haven't been able to play enough Minecraft lately. Real life keeps getting in my damn way.

In the time that I have owned Minecraft, almost two years now, I have yet to feel bored with this game. It surprises me actually. But when I think about it, I honestly have many different ways I play Minecraft. When I want to play with other people or sightsee what others have made I play SMP. When I just want to relax I basebuild or go branch mining. When I feel adventurous I go spelunking or wandering the countryside. When I just want to experiment with new building styles or designs I play creative mode on peaceful. I actually prefer SSP to SMP sometimes. I like the risk factor of building things on hard mode and having that chance of dying, or a creeper blowing your stuff up, or falling to your death from your dirt scaffolds.

I'm so far away from bored with this game. I have graph paper sketches of things I have yet to build in the game, new ideas of things I want to make. And I have yet to really delve into redstone designing. I wish I had more time to play. Because of Minecraft, Skyrim has yet to be finished. Diablo III beta goes unplayed. I've had a Civ 5 game in process for the past three months. My flightstick and throttle for FSX stays in the cabinet. My WoW subscription remains cancelled.

I wish I could retire and gain so much more free time....

Back when Skyrim came out I pretty much stopped playing Minecraft cold turkey. I eventually "finished" Skyrim (in so much that I beat the main quest and got over that initial hundred hour addiction) but couldn't really bring myself to start playing Minecraft again so I went ahead and played a few other games, like Bastion for example. Generally I don't have much time to play games - maybe 10 or 15 hours a week or so anyways. When 1.2 came out though I had to check out the new jungle environments so I created a new world... it took me a couple of attempts but I eventually spawned and dug into a new seed I'm enjoying immensely.

Right now I'm rocking a relatively small (compared to my older stuff) but rather complex jungle complex. I have my base of operations right in the middle of the jungle built up in the trees - at this point, due to expansions, it kind of extends down near the ground and off a cliff face toward the beach. I have some pretty grand plans but I've only played a few nights in this new world - a lot of which was spent uncovering my map, spelunking, wood harvesting, and creating a few quarries.

Your 360 Avatar can now have a Pet Creeper.

Also, there's a few screens on said page, including one that gives you an idea of the UI for Minecraft on the 360. Looks like it actually gives you the blueprints for various items. That'd be nice to have on the PC version, too, even if the Minecraft Wiki is only a few button presses away.

I've been waiting for Minecraft on the 360 for so long. My laptop can barely run Minecraft, or else I would totally be fine with the PC version.

Also, those Avatar items are awesome. I might actually get some haha

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Finishing up the spawn for our new server.

HkiaOl.png

The map was generated using 1.2, so jungles are implemented. The world currently has a border which makes the server hold an 8,000x8,000 world map and pulls anyone that travels further than that back inside the border.

Once testing of our custom plugins confirms they work as planned on 1.2, we will probably go live. Here's one of our custom plugins in action as it polls the entire map, determining the highest block every 64 blocks (the minecraft handheld map is 128x128. Our actual map being 8k x 8k can be entirely rendered to the handheld map by coloring a pixel every 62.5 blocks) You can see it polling blocks here and spitting out the blocks we've said to ignore:

ueihel.png

Here is the unobstructed render of the entire 8k x 8k map onto the handheld map:

LooXol.png

The cursor will actually track your position accurately across the map as you move. The glass dome to the right is a large farm which will help new players get some food before heading out to stake their claim in the world.

You can get an idea of what we're going for if you jump over to our unfinished forums:
http://www.yeticraft.net/forums/index.php
We hope to create a unique style of SMP that can be enjoyed by everyone. If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know and I welcome all from neogaf to give the server a shot when we go live.

Finishing up the spawn for our new server.

HkiaOl.png

The map was generated using 1.2, so jungles are implemented. The world currently has a border which makes the server hold an 8,000x8,000 world map and pulls anyone that travels further than that back inside the border.

Once testing of our custom plugins confirms they work as planned on 1.2, we will probably go live. Here's one of our custom plugins in action as it polls the entire map, determining the highest block every 64 blocks (the minecraft handheld map is 128x128. Our actual map being 8k x 8k can be entirely rendered to the handheld map by coloring a pixel every 62.5 blocks) You can see it polling blocks here and spitting out the blocks we've said to ignore:

ueihel.png

Here is the unobstructed render of the entire 8k x 8k map onto the handheld map:

LooXol.png

The cursor will actually track your position accurately across the map as you move. The glass dome to the right is a large farm which will help new players get some food before heading out to stake their claim in the world.

You can get an idea of what we're going for if you jump over to our unfinished forums:
http://www.yeticraft.net/forums/index.php
We hope to create a unique style of SMP that can be enjoyed by everyone. If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know and I welcome all from neogaf to give the server a shot when we go live.

This server sounds amazing and can't wait to give it a try once it's live. I've never been on a PvP server so it should be a nice change of pace. :)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
This server sounds amazing and can't wait to give it a try once it's live. I've never been on a PvP server so it should be a nice change of pace. :)

Yeah, we hope people will like the setup. If you're interested in stealing and PVP, you can join either of the warring factions or the faction that is aligned with no one. If you're wanting to just build, have the blocks/chests you place automatically protected from everything, you can join either of the two groups that can't steal or break other faction's blocks.

Yeah, we hope people will like the setup. If you're interested in stealing and PVP, you can join either of the warring factions or the faction that is aligned with no one. If you're wanting to just build, have the blocks/chests you place automatically protected from everything, you can join either of the two groups that can't steal or break other faction's blocks.

Is the server already up? If so what's the IP?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Is the server already up? If so what's the IP?

Not yet, a few more tests with the most important plugins we wrote still need to be completed. The server won't be using a whitelist, so we have to make certain everything is working as intended. It would also be nice if bukkit actually had a release build ready, but things seem to be working fine on the beta.

-SD-

Banned
I have tried many times to visit NeoCRAFT server but connecting to the server has always taken too long a time :(

Edit: Now I get this: "Connection Lost: Internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out"

-Minsc-

I have tried many times to visit NeoCRAFT server but connecting to the server has always taken too long a time :(

Edit: Now I get this: "Connection Lost: Internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out"

I was on a little while ago and the lag was really bad. Eventually I lost connection to the server and haven't been able to get on since.

I've got a nasty bug on my 1.2.3 server. It appears that no hostile mobs will spawn except out of a spawner. I go entire nights without seeing a single hostile mob and never see them in caves either. It kind of sucks all the fun out of the game.

I don't think that's exclusive to 1.2.3; I recall that mobs are a rare sight on our 1.1 server, too, unless it just came up from a reboot or something.

This is all speculation and assumption, mind, but I'm under the impression that there's an overall "limit" to how many hostile mobs can be spawned at a given time, and that mobs aren't unloaded alongside the chunks they reside in, meaning that limit never goes down unless they actually die. All told, this would mean you can spawn several hostile mobs in one corner of an SMP map, run far far away to another corner, and since all the hostile mobs will be still "loaded" in that first chunk, you'd be safe...

If nothing else, it'd explain why it's so hard for me to find mobs in the SMP server I play on, too. Since the last time it rebooted, they tend to spawn in a large cave I've been mining in, while leaving our village alone, while beforehand they tended to spawn closer to our village and leave said cave alone.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I've got a nasty bug on my 1.2.3 server. It appears that no hostile mobs will spawn except out of a spawner. I go entire nights without seeing a single hostile mob and never see them in caves either. It kind of sucks all the fun out of the game.

I'd check what plugins you're running as well. Part of the reason we are going with almost every one custom coded is because some just behave weirdly. Doing something you didn't even think was attached to the plugin, or if it was, was not priority over another plugin.

I'd check what plugins you're running as well. Part of the reason we are going with almost every one custom coded is because some just behave weirdly. Doing something you didn't even think was attached to the plugin, or if it was, was not priority over another plugin.

Running vanilla, that's the weird thing.

Chuckpebble

Can anybody point me towards some tools or even hands on little tricks I can use to modify and work with maps. Unfortunately, all my searches turn up terrain generation stuff.

Basically, I want to be able to name them, instead of them saying map_#.
I'd also really love to change the area they cover, so that I can have a map to a specific dungeon waiting in a box. Custom textures instead of the actual world terrain would also be a plus.

Ok. I have a complaint to make.

Someone (could be sippy_cup I dont know) destroyed a lot of my railway system.

I didnt enter the server for a few days and when Im back I see that the rail system I made from my Mountain Cabin to my home in skycity is mostly gone.

The reason I think it was sippy_cup is that part of his inn is covering where the track was.

But Im not sure.

Im not even that mad that this happen. I just wish someone would ask me first or at least mention this here on the thread first.

Also, I would like the rail and powered rails you removed. Otherwise, Im gonna have to annoy Charlie for more. :p

So, whomever it was, please respond.

Morokh

If you look closer they are making a standard railway like the one that links Skycity/Domecity, going in the same direction as yours, that may be a reason.

If you look closer they are making a standard railway like the one that links Skycity/Domecity, going in the same direction as yours, that may be a reason.

This is the reason, I didn't finish it since I didn't know where they wanted it to end at so I got it as close as I could. Once I know where to end it at I'll finish it.

The main reason we replaced it though is due to the current rail only being one block wide. Because if two people left both stations at the same time they would run into each other.

Plus the new rail goes underwater and that shit is awesome. :)

legacyzero

Banned
This is the reason, I didn't finish it since I didn't know where they wanted it to end at so I got it as close as I could. Once I know where to end it at I'll finish it.

The main reason we replaced it though is due to the current rail only being one block wide. Because if two people left both stations at the same time they would run into each other.

Seems like a pretty good reason to me :)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Can anybody point me towards some tools or even hands on little tricks I can use to modify and work with maps. Unfortunately, all my searches turn up terrain generation stuff.

Basically, I want to be able to name them, instead of them saying map_#.
I'd also really love to change the area they cover, so that I can have a map to a specific dungeon waiting in a box. Custom textures instead of the actual world terrain would also be a plus.

Well, when we set about placing our entire 8k x 8k map on the handheld 128x128 map, pretty much everyone said you couldn't do it and still track the player's position with a cursor. Their answer was to make an image with dynmap and have the handheld map pull that image, but not track the player's actual position. We had to figure it out on our own and were eventually successful.

If you have no coding experience, this project will probably kill you lol. Now, you can actually paint to every pixel of the map, whatever color minecraft will accept. That will solve your custom textures desire. You will also have to determine how many pixels you want colored per block area. For example, your dungeon will be A(blocks) X B(blocks). You will have to determine how that compares to the handheld map of 128x128. So if AxB was 256x256, every pixel on your map would actually be two blocks. Even worse for you, since you want custom textures, you would have to specifically say what you want each pixel painted. We just polled the highest block on the actual map, determined what that block was, and painted a color to the map pixel to correspond with the block.

For the map name, I've never really looked into that, so I can't say for sure, but I THINK you must leave the name alone. You can change the map number, but I don't know about completely renaming it.

-Minsc-

Soooooooooo, I assume the server died for the moment. I was knocked off around an hour ago and haven't been able to get on since.

-Minsc-

Just for something different, I semi-randomly selected a larger server and check it out.

Verdict, I prefer a smaller like the one on NeoGAF.

That was on purpose. that rail system was MINE AND FOR MY USE ONLY!!!!

But I will let you get away with it for......ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!

images

Nah! Its ok! I dont mind! :)

Ark

I keep reading posts about server problems, yet every time I check the server console everything is running fine and there are people playing.

Top Bottom