• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

HenryHSH

From googling the error, it seems it's plugin/server related. It's not specific to a certain plugin or setting. different solutions worked for different people.

Ark

I really need to update the plugins, they haven't been updated since before release but I really don't have the time lately..

Ark

... and it was hard enough getting the Nether reset; even I don't have the stamina to pester you enough to get the plugins updated ;P

The nether reset was simple, updating the plugins is more complicated, I actually do need to set aside a good few hours to do so. Hours I don't really have lately.

Chuckpebble

Well, when we set about placing our entire 8k x 8k map on the handheld 128x128 map, pretty much everyone said you couldn't do it and still track the player's position with a cursor. Their answer was to make an image with dynmap and have the handheld map pull that image, but not track the player's actual position. We had to figure it out on our own and were eventually successful.

If you have no coding experience, this project will probably kill you lol. Now, you can actually paint to every pixel of the map, whatever color minecraft will accept. That will solve your custom textures desire. You will also have to determine how many pixels you want colored per block area. For example, your dungeon will be A(blocks) X B(blocks). You will have to determine how that compares to the handheld map of 128x128. So if AxB was 256x256, every pixel on your map would actually be two blocks. Even worse for you, since you want custom textures, you would have to specifically say what you want each pixel painted. We just polled the highest block on the actual map, determined what that block was, and painted a color to the map pixel to correspond with the block.

For the map name, I've never really looked into that, so I can't say for sure, but I THINK you must leave the name alone. You can change the map number, but I don't know about completely renaming it.

Thanks, I actually don't need much detail, I just want the map to cover the smaller area. The rooms would just be blocks so that you could figure out where you are. I figured I could generate the map of the dungeon before covering it up, but painting one might be in order.

I do have minor programming experience, but it sounds like I don't need it. Do I just adjust the dimensions somewhere?

This is the shadow of what I'm trying to map, its currently about 10 pixels in the center of the paper, completely illegible.
2012-03-16_15.55.17.png

defel

Ive uploaded a few pictures from my Technic Pack world.
http://imgur.com/a/RMrJx

This is what Ive been spending my time on recently. Once I master all the different components in the pack Im going to make the most awesome factory/Industrial park.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Thanks, I actually don't need much detail, I just want the map to cover the smaller area. The rooms would just be blocks so that you could figure out where you are. I figured I could generate the map of the dungeon before covering it up, but painting one might be in order.

I do have minor programming experience, but it sounds like I don't need it. Do I just adjust the dimensions somewhere?

This is the shadow of what I'm trying to map, its currently about 10 pixels in the center of the paper, completely illegible.
2012-03-16_15.55.17.png

Well, unless you don't cover up the dungeon at all, you're going to have to code something. I may have made it sound too easy earlier. It took nearly 400 lines of code to get our basic map working. The furthest out you can zoom the regular map with no coding is 128 blocks x 128 blocks. That could work for what you want, but the regular map only shows the highest block at each point. If you were to put the dungeon underground, your map would no longer see it.

If anyone is interested, I've written up 2 construction tutorials:

Part 1: Complex exteriors using simple designs
Part 2: Building a multi-story cabin

The building and design method really helps me, so I thought others might find it useful.

I really like these tutorials. I'm definitely going to use some of the techniques in here, thanks! On the topic, anyone know anything similar for making trees? Like building giant trees and stuff. I'd love to build one, but I suck at it.

Xun

It's Eld's Artpack. Initially I started using it because it was similar to the default texture pack, but I've had it enabled for so long that it's almost become synonymous to Minecraft for me.
That's really nice actually.

I changed a couple of blocks though (stone slabs and diamond), but aside from that it's probably the best texture pack I've seen.

The colours seem pretty consistent with the default texture pack as you mentioned.

Chuckpebble

Well, unless you don't cover up the dungeon at all, you're going to have to code something. I may have made it sound too easy earlier. It took nearly 400 lines of code to get our basic map working. The furthest out you can zoom the regular map with no coding is 128 blocks x 128 blocks. That could work for what you want, but the regular map only shows the highest block at each point. If you were to put the dungeon underground, your map would no longer see it.

Yeah, I was thinking I would be changing the dimensions of the map with a hex editor or something. I think I could BS it by putting red stone at the top layer of the map and deleting the blocks that I set it on with a map editor. That way you wouldn't see anything in the air.

Do the vanilla maps update automatically? Don't think I've ever built anything large enough to notice.

That's not at all immediately evoking all sorts of fond memories and sticking a song firmly in my head. Not at all.

I want to see this when it's finished!

Knock yourself out. It's nowhere near done, but I could use some suggestions on whether or not to double the world scale before I go much further. Honestly, I can't be the first to do this, it seems an obvious little diversion.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's ridiculous how this game can entertain me.
I am once again sucked in a new single player world and honestly, I can't stop.

I am right there with you Ranger. I haven't even logged onto Neocraft in a week. Every time I think I'll log on, instead of copying the 1.1 jar file over I start up my single player world instead.

I started a new world for 1.2 and have been having a blast starting from scratch yet once more. I've got a nice sprawling base nestled into a cliffside, with animal pens out the front and a bunch of rooms inside. A yard full of sheep sure can supply the wool by the stacks. And I'm swimming in dogs now that we can breed them. Dug out a staircase down that broke out into a huge double underground ravine, still have yet to explore all of it. Got sidetracked by my new branch mine at the lava layer that I started off the one end of the ravine.

Now I'm obsessed with enchanting and alchemy. I made an XP grinder out of a surface zombie spawner near my base, but I want a better way of getting XP quickly (I have THREE diamond picks of Unbreaking II now, no Silk Touch or Fortune). So I traversed the nether until I found a nether fortress, located a blaze spawner, and am now doing my best to build an automated redstone blaze grinder. Hit a stumbling block though, I need more slimeballs to make a few more sticky pistons to finish it out. So currently I'm hunting slimes in my ravines and tunnels and such.

And I haven't even built anything to take advantage of the new height limit yet, though I've decided on a mountain top within sight of my spawn base as the location. I'll probably do some exploring first, I want to see the surrounding areas and I need to find me some cats to go along with my dogs....

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yeah, I was thinking I would be changing the dimensions of the map with a hex editor or something. I think I could BS it by putting red stone at the top layer of the map and deleting the blocks that I set it on with a map editor. That way you wouldn't see anything in the air.

Do the vanilla maps update automatically? Don't think I've ever built anything large enough to notice.

I'm sorry, I read my post again and realize I misspoke about the map zoom with vanilla. You can actually set the zoom to 4 and you will get somewhere around 1k x 1k blocks (could be off as I gave up going that route because I needed 8k x 8k). Anyway, you just need to get an NBT editor. Open up the map NBT for the map_id you want and change the zoom value to 4. That will zoom out as far as possibly allowed without having to actually code a plugin. There's no other way to set the map zoom, as mojang haven't coded that in yet, despite the zoom code being there for some time now.

Ranger X

I am right there with you Ranger. I haven't even logged onto Neocraft in a week. Every time I think I'll log on, instead of copying the 1.1 jar file over I start up my single player world instead.

I started a new world for 1.2 and have been having a blast starting from scratch yet once more. I've got a nice sprawling base nestled into a cliffside, with animal pens out the front and a bunch of rooms inside. A yard full of sheep sure can supply the wool by the stacks. And I'm swimming in dogs now that we can breed them. Dug out a staircase down that broke out into a huge double underground ravine, still have yet to explore all of it. Got sidetracked by my new branch mine at the lava layer that I started off the one end of the ravine.

Now I'm obsessed with enchanting and alchemy. I made an XP grinder out of a surface zombie spawner near my base, but I want a better way of getting XP quickly (I have THREE diamond picks of Unbreaking II now, no Silk Touch or Fortune). So I traversed the nether until I found a nether fortress, located a blaze spawner, and am now doing my best to build an automated redstone blaze grinder. Hit a stumbling block though, I need more slimeballs to make a few more sticky pistons to finish it out. So currently I'm hunting slimes in my ravines and tunnels and such.

And I haven't even built anything to take advantage of the new height limit yet, though I've decided on a mountain top within sight of my spawn base as the location. I'll probably do some exploring first, I want to see the surrounding areas and I need to find me some cats to go along with my dogs....

That sounds really nice. I don't have much achieved right now outside a huge house with multiple floors, each with their purposes. I use my different basement floors for underground farms and my deepest basement floor for a Nether portal room. At that point in my construction I discovered a huge cave and it's been like 3 days I am sidetracked by exploring it. I'm getting a buttload of minerals right now. :)

Chuckpebble

I'm sorry, I read my post again and realize I misspoke about the map zoom with vanilla. You can actually set the zoom to 4 and you will get somewhere around 1k x 1k blocks (could be off as I gave up going that route because I needed 8k x 8k). Anyway, you just need to get an NBT editor. Open up the map NBT for the map_id you want and change the zoom value to 4. That will zoom out as far as possibly allowed without having to actually code a plugin. There's no other way to set the map zoom, as mojang haven't coded that in yet, despite the zoom code being there for some time now.

Oh, OK. Well I want to zoom in. Does the code only handle integers, or can I use decimals as well?

Nevermind! Decimals work fine. This is 0.5

2012-03-19_18.01.14.png

I noticed options to set location and map height as well. Sadly, setting the height to be underground but above level 1 did not crop off the over world. Oh well.
This setting is actually for the pixel dimensions of the map, not the elevation in the world. Still, doesn't seem to do anything.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Oh, OK. Well I want to zoom in. Does the code only handle integers, or can I use decimals as well?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14377261/2012-03-19_18.01.14.png[IMG]

I noticed options to set location and map height as well. Sadly, setting the height to be underground but above level 1 did not crop off the over world. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are some things coded to the maps that go unused by the actual game at this time. Now, unless you use a plugin, you need to make sure that the map is map_0. I can do some testing on this for you, but I believe if the map is anything other than map_0 or map_1, then a different user would actually be able to overwrite the map the person in the dungeon is holding.

Actually, strike that... I bet that issue was only to do with how we were rendering the map with our custom plugin. You're actually setting map_(ID) to be hardcoded to a location and zoom level. If anyone should create a map with the same ID, no matter where they are in the world, it should display what you've actually set that map ID's properties and location to.

The_End

If anyone is interested, I've written up 2 construction tutorials:

Part 1: Complex exteriors using simple designs
Part 2: Building a multi-story cabin

The building and design method really helps me, so I thought others might find it useful.

Nice job.

I have yet to bother building stuff in any game that I've played. I keep spending all my time getting resources to build an elaborate railroad system across the continents that I spawn on. I think it's time to start building stuff though. Your guide should come in handy.

Chuckpebble

Yeah, there are some things coded to the maps that go unused by the actual game at this time. Now, unless you use a plugin, you need to make sure that the map is map_0. I can do some testing on this for you, but I believe if the map is anything other than map_0 or map_1, then a different user would actually be able to overwrite the map the person in the dungeon is holding.

Actually, strike that... I bet that issue was only to do with how we were rendering the map with our custom plugin. You're actually setting map_(ID) to be hardcoded to a location and zoom level. If anyone should create a map with the same ID, no matter where they are in the world, it should display what you've actually set that map ID's properties and location to.

Yeah, I feel like I always wish for things and then they eventually get added, like the upside down stair blocks and mixed half blocks just recently. Maybe soon we'll be able to have maps that cut off the surface above the player too.

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but apparently the friendly mobs on my map are showing as red dots. That's pretty cool.

Thanks for all of your help!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
There's no news lately or it's not posted here? I trust you guys :p

Jeb is on vacation?

Naw, he's back. The new stone block and the hieroglyph sandstone will be in survival in 1.2.4, which may be up this week (with a bunch of other bugfixes).

Vlad

Jeb is on vacation?

It looks like he was in California for the last week, so there hasn't been anything new since 1.2 came out. Right now it just looks like he's bugfixing and adding a few small things here and there (new sandstone blocks, etc).

Mengy

Jeb is on vacation?

Not much news lately. 1.3 will be a quiet patch as far as new features go, but at the same time an absolutely huge patch, because it will have the mod API in and Bukkit integrated into the SMP version. I think Jeb is going to try to update the LWJGL again too (light weight Java game libraries). Last time he tried that it didn't go too well, I know he still wants to do it though. But I doubt we will be seeing much at all with respect to new game features like 1.2 included.

I don't know what is planned for 1.4 at all yet, but there are a few things that Jeb wants in the near future that he has talked about:

- wants sponges back in, but needs to tweak them a bit so he's happy with them
- wants to fix powered minecarts so they are worth using again
- he wants a way to harvest cocoa beans. mentioned that they might drop randomly from jungle tree leaf blocks?

That's just off the top of my head...

Xun

Not much news lately. 1.3 will be a quiet patch as far as new features go, but at the same time an absolutely huge patch, because it will have the mod API in and Bukkit integrated into the SMP version. I think Jeb is going to try to update the LWJGL again too (light weight Java game libraries). Last time he tried that it didn't go too well, I know he still wants to do it though. But I doubt we will be seeing much at all with respect to new game features like 1.2 included.

I don't know what is planned for 1.4 at all yet, but there are a few things that Jeb wants in the near future that he has talked about:

- he wants a way to harvest cocoa beans. mentioned that they might drop randomly from jungle tree leaf blocks?

Powered minecarts should become trains in my opinion.

Ranger X

Oh there, I knew most of this but I simply forgot about it. :p
I can't wait for the mod API actually. I might mess with the game down the road.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yeah, I feel like I always wish for things and then they eventually get added, like the upside down stair blocks and mixed half blocks just recently. Maybe soon we'll be able to have maps that cut off the surface above the player too.

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but apparently the friendly mobs on my map are showing as red dots. That's pretty cool.

Thanks for all of your help!

No problem, hope it all works out like you want.

2012-03-19_18.01.14.png

I noticed options to set location and map height as well. Sadly, setting the height to be underground but above level 1 did not crop off the over world. Oh well.

Oh geez. I haven't been keeping up with the thread so I'm not exactly sure what it is that you're doing here, but it is Zelda and I want it.

Also, to any moders out there: I've been wanting to create a custom character model. I downloaded a great program called Techne for java modeling, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I've found info on making custom mobs, but I want to replace the player model. I know that it's possible, but I can't find any info. Anybody know something about this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what do I need to do to let someone else join my personal server? Just port forward 25565 or whatever to the server IP address? Anything else to secure it?

what do I need to do to let someone else join my personal server? Just port forward 25565 or whatever to the server IP address? Anything else to secure it?

I tried getting a personal server working for the longest, but eventually gave up. I later found out that it didn't work because of the router I have. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :-(

defel

crazy have you been checking out the Technic pack any further? I know you mentioned that you were going to try it. If so, what do you think?

crazy have you been checking out the Technic pack any further? I know you mentioned that you were going to try it. If so, what do you think?

I haven't yet but I really want to one of these days. I'm in the last 6 weeks of school so I'm trying to avoid any games that are major time sinks that will steal me away from studying such as Minecraft. :) That's the reason I haven't been on the server in about 2 weeks, but I plan to stop by for a bit during the weekend.

Ranger X

1.2.4 is out!

Minecraft 1.2.4

+ Chat history and much better chat editing
+ A few new decoration blocks
+ “Back” and “Quit” buttons to OutOfMemoryScreen + Made cats more realistic (read: probably annoying). I hope it’s enough to cancel out any joy you may receive from the previous feature!
+ Added a “minimal” debug menu for testing with. Shift+F3 to hide the graphs.

* Made placing half blocks on existing half blocks (to make a full block) easier
* Limit framerate on menu screens, no longer uses 100% cpu and make my computer melt
* Fixed fatal crash for converted worlds to anvil, when there’s blocks at max height
* Fixed an old bug with signs clearing text while you’re editing them in SMP
* Fixed crash when logging in while there are blocks at maxheight at spawn
* Fixed TNT ghosts in multiplayer
* Fixed storage minecarts dropping enchanted items
* Fixed crashes on invalid server addresses when joining a server
* Fixed entities being uninteractable if they existed at login (Multiplayer)
* Fixed dupe exploit with paintings
* Fixed furnaces and dispensers dropping enchanted items
* Fixed the “flickering” of chat as it vanishes off the screen
* Fixed text rendering over items in the container screens
* Fixed exploit with jungle saplings (turns other saplings into jungle ones)
* Fixed launcher opening minecraft dir if the path contains a space
* Fixed an off-by-one lighting bug
* Fixed block transmuting (turning one block into another via pistons)
* Fixed placing mushrooms in daylight, where they can’t survive
* Fixed redstone lamps dropping powered block items when destroyed while on
* “save-all” (server) now works even when you have toggled “save-off” * Fixed turning half-blocks into full-blocks while you’re standing on them
* Fixed seed displaying in F3 debug when the seed is unknown (multiplayer)
* Fixed villager texture changing clientside per profession
* Fixed falling off ledge corners while holding shift
* Fixed players falling when reconnecting to servers where they were previously flying 

Mengy

1.2.4 is out!

From the changelog it looks like Dinnerbone, one of the Bukkit guys, is responsible for fixing most of those bugs too. Nice to see them getting straight to work improving the game, very nice!

The new decoration blocks are the heiroglyph sandstone and the circle stone brick we saw added to the texture map in the last patch. I'm gonna cover my whole new base in SSP with heiroglyphs now! lol

http://i.imgur.com/xRaZl.png

OOHHH!! And differnt wood types now have different colored planks!!!!! :

http://i.imgur.com/OyNb9.jpg

EDIT: Holy crap pics are huge, added links to them instead...

Mengy

One the one hand, this is awesome.

On the other hand, now I have to be concerned about which kind of tree trunk I'm turning into planks if I'm planning to use those planks for anything cosmetic. At least that shouldn't make a difference for using them as crafting ingredients...

I love it. Now I can have all wooden floors in a base but with different colored wooden floors, it will be good to add variety. What I'm wondering is do we also have different colored wooden stairs now too? And wooden half blocks as well? Because that would be awesome.

HenryHSH

was the server updated? I am still having problems connecting

Same. I suspect that it might be an issue with permissions. I read that deleting user specific permissions solved the problem in some cases. But updating the addons should probably work too. We just have to wait until Ark gets some free time.

Top Bottom