• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Morokh

for those searching the jungle I found :

neocraft_jungle.jpg

Xun

Sippy your house near Skycity was on fire, but I luckily managed to stop it from spreading.

A lot of it is destroyed sadly.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Edit : Uh yeah seems the plugins need to be updated now :p the commands don't work.

Just a heads up but creeper damage is on.

Huh, I never touched the plugins, I guess something isn't working with the new patch. The chat interface was changed for 1.2 in the vanilla game, maybe that is interfering with the iChat plugin? Is Worldguard not working?

Huh, I never touched the plugins, I guess something isn't working with the new patch. The chat interface was changed for 1.2 in the vanilla game, maybe that is interfering with the iChat plugin? Is Worldguard not working?

yeah it is nothing to do with the old map being re-upped. The plugins weren't working before that. Ark is aware of the problem and will get them sorted. BTW nice work on getting the ole map back up and running.

Ark

If Creeper damage is on it's possible that WorldGuard has failed, which would mean fire spreading will be on too.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to fix this until tomorrow at the earliest (which I certainly plan to do).

Mengy

March 31st is the new April 1st?

No, but it's already April 1st where Notch lives! Still, I have to wonder if the joke has some truth to it about his next game. I hope so, because it sounds awesome. We need a new Elite badly.

No, but it's already April 1st where Notch lives! Still, I have to wonder if the joke has some truth to it about his next game. I hope so, because it sounds awesome. We need a new Elite badly.

The game is real Notch has been tweeting about it extensively. He wants to do an Elite style game and has started work on it. The joke bit is the name "Mars Effect" I would be highly surprised if the game is really going to be called "Mars Effect",

The game is real Notch has been tweeting about it extensively. He wants to do an Elite style game and has started work on it. The joke bit is the name "Mars Effect" I would be highly surprised if the game is really going to be called "Mars Effect",

Knowing Notch he probably will stick with Mars Effect just change the style of the logo.

Rapstah

Sweden is CET, so it's April first in... two minutes.

sippycup

Neo Member
here is sippy_cups almost totally burned down inn while otamin performing firefighter duity

sippydisaster.jpg

My hero! :p
I'm glad you guys were able to stop it from burning down the whole thing. I've repaired most of it now so it's all good.

In other news, I've (mostly) finished my base on the new jungle island, feel free to check it out! It's cozy, but nothing special. I've made a path to it and everything:

7G4Juh.jpg

Also, something really weird is going on over at Liz's base. I would stay away if I were you. Far, far away....

DuaF6h.jpg

So just to ask, when you converted the map, did the biomes change suddenly? Because pretty much all of our map is now Tundra. Like, all of it. Really annoying, too, because now paths that were clearly marked on the ground have snow all over them, and our farms are useless because the water's frozen over. Argh.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
So just to ask, when you converted the map, did the biomes change suddenly? Because pretty much all of our map is now Tundra. Like, all of it. Really annoying, too, because now paths that were clearly marked on the ground have snow all over them, and our farms are useless because the water's frozen over. Argh.

Yeah, they made Tiaga biomes snow. Really sucks because there's tons of snow now

Right, Taiga, that's what I meant.

But still.
Our village? Taiga.
Our deserts? Taiga.
Our spawn point? ...actually, that went from Taiga to Jungle, but still.

I'm considerably annoyed at this.

Morokh

I dug a bit into the mountain behind my Jungle Pagoda, to make myself a little mine, dug down a 2x2 square straight down, and arrived EXACTLY on top of a skeleton dungeon.

I secured the spawner and will be making an Arrow/XP farm, and while i'm at it I may also dig a big room undergound to try to locate a slime chunk, and when that is done i'll make a slime farm, and transform all the dug-out areas into underground farms (maybe even automatic) so we don't have to level entire areas of the jungle, or having to get back to our original base if we run out of food.

But that may take some time :p

I must say I didn't really enjoy being in Jungles in single player, and I just hated spawning in them cause they are a bit messy, but with what we have been doing so far in Neolulu I'm really starting to like it and I think my Pagoda will become my main base for the time being, just have to polish a little the outside.

Oh and Mengy, would it be possible to have an update on the drpbox map ? :p

Mengy

I must say I didn't really enjoy being in Jungles in single player, and I just hated spawning in them cause they are a bit messy, but with what we have been doing so far in Neolulu I'm really starting to like it and I think my Pagoda will become my main base for the time being, just have to polish a little the outside.

Oh and Mengy, would it be possible to have an update on the drpbox map ? :p

Jungle biomes are awesome fun, and our little Jungle villa is coming along quickly. Thank God for that nether portal to it though, it's a very long trek there by foot. With the warps being unavailable for now, that nether road network we created sure has come in handy. Honestly, and I know it's probably just me, but I'm rather enjoying not having warps in the game. I'm using roads and the nether again, but I always have enjoyed trekking across the countryside.

As for the map, I'm going to start one tonight. I wanted to wait until we had some stuff built in the jungle biome first, which we now have. Should be up in a day or two, I'll post it here when it's ready.

Morokh

Honestly, and I know it's probably just me, but I'm rather enjoying not having warps in the game. I'm using roads and the nether again, but I always have enjoyed trekking across the countryside.

I feel the same about that, but beds not reseting your spawn is kind of annoying xD because when you die you go back to the server spawn.

And yeah I got pretty lucky when searching for a jungle because it's a damn huge one.

Can't wait to get home xD

Perhaps we should look again at having a "flying mod" and removing everything but the basic warps. There is obviously a need for a much faster mode of transport in minecraft even carts are way too slow. Allowing flying again would fill in faster travel void.

Mengy

I also like moving around without warps unless it's a very important location like the Harvester. I love quite love the /home.

Yeah, having the /home and /sethome commands are handy on a huge multiplayer server. It's always nice to have a last resort option in case you get hopelessly lost, plus those two in conjunction work very well when moving inventory around. But I could so live without the /warps altogether, t would encourage us to use roads and minecarts and the nether to get around. And lets face it, half of the fun of the game is sightseeing while traveling, seeing things that other people have built along the roads and rails.

Maybe we should actually think about getting rid of the /warps altogether? (but keep the /home command)

There is obviously a need for a much faster mode of transport in minecraft even carts are way too slow.

Eh, I've always thought the carts traveled at a good speed to get around, never really thought they were too slow at all.

Roche

Perhaps we should look again at having a "flying mod" and removing everything but the basic warps. There is obviously a need for a much faster mode of transport in minecraft even carts are way too slow. Allowing flying again would fill in faster travel void.

I'm telling you guys, horses are the way to go. Jeb needs to get on that shit.

legacyzero

Banned
but a flying mod means there there isn't a resource involved. I would rather spend my resources to build something i could USE to fly, than be able to fly all the time. Then there is the excitement of having things like airship docks on Skycity and Domecity as well.

I'm kinda on the fence about losing the TP ability though.. Hmmmm.

Morokh

I'm perfectly fine with minecart speed (as long as there is no lag), couple that with nether roads and you have two quite valid options. (but it requires some work)

And I died like 5 times during the week-end trying to find, and coming back from the jungle, or building the nether road to it, so I did the Warp --> Skycity --> Boat or Nether Road trip quite a few times xD

I must say I quite enjoyed my two or three trips to the jungle by boat too (but man Lily pads are annoying D: )

Btw there is also a new design of boat loading dock I saw on video, that I have to try, if it works well I'll definitely build some in the jungle area and rework my boat rental docks in Skycity.

The idea of getting rid of the warps but keeping /home seems like a good idea, it would also encourage people building roads with signs to their buildings if they want to show them, and would be much simpler to find them, because there is some quite amazing things completely lost in the wilderness on the server.

Mengy

I'm perfectly fine with minecart speed (as long as there is no lag), couple that with nether roads and you have two quite valid options. (but it requires some work)

And I died like 5 times during the week-end trying to find, and coming back from the jungle, or building the nether road to it, so I did the Warp --> Skycity --> Boat or Nether Road trip quite a few times xD

I must say I quite enjoyed my two or three trips to the jungle by boat too (but man Lily pads are annoying D: )

Btw there is also a new design of boat loading dock I saw on video, that I have to try, if it works well I'll definitely build some in the jungle area and rework my boat rental docks in Skycity.

The idea of getting rid of the warps but keeping /home seems like a good idea, it would also encourage people building roads with signs to their buildings if they want to show them, and would be much simpler to find them, because there is some quite amazing things completely lost in the wilderness on the server.

Exactly. I hate that we build all these great, awesome places, but no one ever sees them because they just /warp around all the time and teleport past most of what's out there. Roads, signposts, and minecarts can be used to not only get around quickly but to also guide other players to things you would like them to see. If people are using said travel network then it encourages people to build houses along the way to shelter in the night, to get supplies, or as tourist attractions or places to sightsee.

After we took down the old Neocraft server and I downloaded it I spent days running around it just sightseeing, and I was amazed at all of the incredible and awesome places that I never even knew existed, and I discovered almost all of them simply because I could no longer simply warp to Booty Bay or Mordor.

It's part of why I started building the whole nether portal road and network. And it's been fun these past few days seeing people actually using it, and crossing people traveling along the way, and seeing other people linking portals of their own to the network. None of that happens when we have warps working.

/warps are convenient but they eliminate the need to actually play the game, and they make building in anyplace without a warp a lonely and isolated experience, simply because no one else is anywhere but where the warps are.

That's all IMHO of course.

limlark

Oh, are we doing the thing where we suddenly act like long-settled features of the server are up for a vote again? That's my favorite game!

Leave the warps alone.

Ark

Ugh, apparently I can't run Minecraft. Which is amusing.

After 5-10 minutes of being logged on I start to lose FPS until eventually the game just freezes and I lose connection, does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

JVIDICAN

Ugh, apparently I can't run Minecraft. Which is amusing.

After 5-10 minutes of being logged on I start to lose FPS until eventually the game just freezes and I lose connection, does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

Sounds like a leak, find the hole and plug it up with some dirt. :p

Any error messages when it crashes?

-Minsc-

Oh, are we doing the thing where we suddenly act like long-settled features of the server are up for a vote again? That's my favorite game!

Leave the warps alone.

Lets play it.

I can see the need for warps on the huge servers, you'd never get around with out them. NeoCraft is fairly small. Sure it may take around three to four minutes to travel between Neolulu and my build (via Nether) but that's not a trek I constantly make. I'm all for keeping the /home and /tpa (and /back for donators) commands. Those I find are more than enough for when I want to get around quick.

I'll admit, there is a whole lot of I've never bothered checking out on the server due to the warps.

Mengy

Leave the warps alone.

There's nothing saying we can't change our minds about features of the server though, or even discuss them.

Because I have the urge to type things out today, let me write down some feelings about a huge part of why I'd like to see the warps go away on Neocraft...

Whenever I play Minecraft in SSP, or single player, I'm always amazed at how different the game is compared to playing on Neocraft. If I want to trek south across three biomes to a jungle, well I have to go out my door and actually walk there. And if I want to take multiple trips then I can either build a road to guide me along, or make a minecart network, or link nether portals, but no matter how I do it I have to actually go there. I don't have any teleport commands or warps to go back and forth. The interesting part is that the journey there is almost always more fun than actually being there. I find all manners of caves along the way, pits going deep underground, maybe an awesome mountain that is just begging to be built on top of. I'll pass a field full of pigs followed by ponds full of chickens swimming away. I'm out and about, actually playing IN the game.

And once I have that road built that spans four biomes I always end up building little bases along the way as shelters from the night. Farms for food have become so important now that I sprint everywhere to get there faster. I chug potions of speed like a coke addict. But all of this travel gives the rest of the game so much purpose. I have a netherwart farm to feed my potion addiction. I have farms at all of my bases because you never know when you will find yourself out of food from all of the sprinting. I have huge mine complexes to dig up the iron I need for my minecarts. Finding an abandoned mine is a huzzah moment simply for the free tracks and fencing.

Actually having to travel puts the survival and exploration into the game and makes it far more interesting.

On Neocraft, if I want to get from my fortress to Dome City, I simply type /warp domecity and I'm instantly there. No journey, no using rails, no seeing what Spuit built along the road. No seeing the art museum, or the high rise apartments, or the huge monster bones jutting out of the ground, I simply teleport right past all of that, and if I hadn't ever walked the path to see those things I wouldn't even know they were there at all. Food farms lose most of their meaning when you can travel instantly with a few keystrokes. Minecart tracks go neglected. Nether portals are hardly used. Farms go unharvested. People don't travel anywhere over the land, they simply zip around like omniscient wizards ignoring the land or the threats (or wonders) that inhabit them.

Neocraft is a survival server but I rarely feel like it is one. I personally hardly ever use the warps, I prefer to run around the land and see things. I've built roads across the biomes, I've built a nether portal network connecting places, and I've built structures and oddities along those paths, but in my travels across them I hardly ever come across anyone else because everyone simply teleports everywhere. It's a multiplayer server that sometimes feels very isolated and alone. There are few roads and fewer bridges, and if you have built something that doesn't have a /warp associated with it then chances are that very few players have actually ever even seen it.

This weekend we had the server updated but the warps aren't working, so people were using the roads, they were sailing in boats, they were riding the minecarts, and they were using the nether network, and this past weekend was the most fun I've had on the server in a long time. People were noticing things they hadn't seen before, they were building new portals and roads, and giving directions to others and talking about landmarks and planning to build more stuff along their travels, and it was an atmosphere that I rarely see on the server anymore. Reminded me a bit of the old Neocraft back when we started out, before we had more than like one or two warps.

My personal feeling is that having a system of travel like the /warps takes a huge part of the survival and exploration game out of the game, and actually hurts the community feeling more than it helps.

Whew, there, I feel better having gotten that out of my system. Now I can get back to work...

Neocraft is a survival server but I rarely feel like it is one.

I would argue that, along with the warp system, removing Creeper damage, etc. makes it effectively NOT a survival server anymore. Why even bother having Creepers at all?*

Another key element of Minecraft is exploration, which is limited by not allowing people to explore too far out from the center. That's a fair limit, as without it, the world would grow to astronomical sizes far too quickly, but it's a limitation nonetheless, and it hurts the game more than it helps it.

*Actually, having monsters and such in any multiplayer setting in Minecraft sucks balls just because latency issues prevent you from actually being able to successfully engage in melee combat with them. Using a bow is all fine and dandy, but if you want to hit one with a sword without getting hit back in multiplayer? Good luck. In single-player, it's completely doable, of course. \: (Although maybe this has all been addressed in recent patches. I haven't played for months. D:)

limlark

Because I have the urge to type things out today, let me write down some feelings about a huge part of why I'd like to see the warps go away on Neocraft...

<and so he did>
That was a good and convincing mini-essay, and I'm glad you wrote it. Unlike you, however, this past weekend has NOT been the most fun I've had on the server in a long time, because due to the rarity of the terrain I chose for my base (well... future base?...), I am literally some 10,000 blocks away from everything and simply couldn't get to everyone else to join them. Even making a Nether road all that way would be a chore of chores. And besides, I like having a way to get places without necessarily advertising them. God knows we've had a few "there goes the neighborhood" moments, of which we shall not speak.

As a slightly less selfish point, I also think public warps are the best way to showcase excellent builds, and they way they foster participation in community city projects would be hard to replace. But I'm not going to fight super hard for this, except for /home. That is something we absolutely must keep.

Togglesworth said:
I would argue that, along with the warp system, removing Creeper damage, etc. makes it effectively NOT a survival server anymore. Why even bother having Creepers at all?
DAMMIT PEOPLE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? >:C

Haha, I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. Most people who play on that server are like you. I, personally, have only been on the server twice since it restarted (and died to annoying latency-powered monsters both times before quitting).

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Do you guys use an economy system on NeoCraft? You could do something similar to what we set up on Yeticraft. There's temples around the map that a player can tp to, but each tp costs money. Stops the ability to constant tp from temple to temple. I can throw Ark the plugin if you guys built the temples on the map and told me where they were. An option to appease both sides maybe.

In Yeticraft news, we're updating the code to stop new players from breaking any block or accessing a chest placed by a faction member, regardless of that faction's regular rules on stealing. Players that don't choose a faction should only be gathering resources to get started. Some of them are just staying without faction and acting like Almans, minus respect for the rules.

The ticket system is done and should be in place tonight and an end reset will start replacing the ender dragon. Just deciding if I want to have it spawn a random number of them between 1-3 when it regens to make things interesting.

We have also brought in a good group of people on each faction now. No longer is the Almas group overwhelming in numbers.

due to the rarity of the terrain I chose for my base (well... future base?...), I am literally some 10,000 blocks away from everything and simply couldn't get to everyone else to join them.

I may be be missing some part of your point, but deliberately building your base miles away from civilisation and then complaining you're too far away from anything seems a bit tautologous to me. If there's no challenge / solitude to living far away in no man's land, what is it worth?

Edit: Ah, rarity of terrain. I see. But you know, you craft your bed, you lie in it!

legacyzero

Banned
That was a good and convincing mini-essay, and I'm glad you wrote it. Unlike you, however, this past weekend has NOT been the most fun I've had on the server in a long time, because due to the rarity of the terrain I chose for my base (well... future base?...), I am literally some 10,000 blocks away from everything and simply couldn't get to everyone else to join them. Even making a Nether road all that way would be a chore of chores. And besides, I like having a way to get places without necessarily advertising them. God knows we've had a few "there goes the neighborhood" moments, of which we shall not speak.

As a slightly less selfish point, I also think public warps are the best way to showcase excellent builds, and they way they foster participation in community city projects would be hard to replace. But I'm not going to fight super hard for this, except for /home. That is something we absolutely must keep.

DAMMIT PEOPLE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? >:C
You are OH so lucky they didn't chose to slim the map down like they were talking about. that would have sucked.

Top Bottom