• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

MackVee

Neo Member
QJRfj.png

So Gaf, I went through my Nether Portal on the sever and ended up above and beyond. Now, I'm not the one for solitude but is there a way down from here without killing myself and losing my items or will I have to accept my fate and became a Hermit?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
nether railway solves most long distance travel issues, people just get lazy.

also creeper damage is an important part of minecraft. its not enough that you die; you should die, lose items and have to rebuild.

Roche

also creeper damage is an important part of minecraft. its not enough that you die; you should die, lose items and have to rebuild.

It's a massive pain in the ass to have to go around repairing constant holes in the server, it's more effort than it's worth.

I mean just look at what the Endermen did, lots of places are a mess because of 'em.

Rapstah

nether railway solves most long distance travel issues, people just get lazy.

Other people should not have to rebuild because some jackass found the IP to the server.

-Minsc-

http://i.imgur.com/QJRfj.png

So Gaf, I went through my Nether Portal on the sever and ended up above and beyond. Now, I'm not the one for solitude but is there a way down from here without killing myself and losing my items or will I have to accept my fate and became a Hermit?

Hmm, not sure what would work there. If you can wait until Ark fixes the plugins you'll be able to get out then.

That aside, the better solution to turning off creeper explosions is just to accept it as part of the game that your shit gonna git broked.

I feel turning the environmental damage off but keeping player damage on with Creepers is fair and doesn't break the game. You still take the full damage they give out you just don't have to worry about fixing something you just put 10 hours into building.

-Minsc-

I feel turning the environmental damage off but keeping player damage on with Creepers is fair and doesn't break the game. You still take the full damage they give out you just don't have to worry about fixing something you just put 10 hours into building.

Or even better, fixing something someone else put ten hours in to building. Yeah, keep the player damage on. Part of the fun is turning a corner and coming face to face with a creeper. If you have a good set of armor on one should come out alive (yet shaken).

Roche

i dont know many jackasses who use creepers to grief people.
I once played on a server with environmental damage on, it was torture.

Every time we'd log on there would be several fresh holes to fill as a result of people being too lazy or too busy to fix them. Eventually most gave up and just left gaping holes in the area.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I once played on a server with environmental damage on, it was torture.

Every time we'd log on there would be several fresh holes to fill as a result of people being too lazy or too busy to fix them. Eventually most gave up and just left gaping holes in the area.
sounds like you needed better lighting.

spuit*11

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/QJRfj.png[IMG]

So Gaf, I went through my Nether Portal on the sever and ended up above and beyond. Now, I'm not the one for solitude but is there a way down from here without killing myself and losing my items or will I have to accept my fate and became a Hermit?[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA

Yeah you're pretty much stuck there until we get tp commands back.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
QJRfj.png

We can get you out of there once the commands are available again.

And, I may be able to get you out now, with a bit of work and the F3 coords. If you are on at the same time I am, I may be able to find you in the nether and poke a hole thru the bedrock ceiling, allowing you to fall down into the "true" nether. What times are you normally online?

Well, sure, if you don't like environmental damage.

I couldn't give less of a fuck about a creeper killing me, as there's no consequence for it, unless it's over a lava pit. Creeper explosions don't destroy the items you drop. I only care about environmental damage, because that's what makes creepers awesome.

The "problem" is people who don't like environmental damage would not tolerate it, and the people who like it WILL tolerate the LACK of it. So, the "compromise" is to turn it off.

Morokh

sounds like you needed better lighting.

with the new AI you can light all you want they eventually still find you xD

I'm more like the full vanilla player, but on a server creeper environmental damage definitely should be off, i'd hate to blow up someones building because a creeper ninja-blasted me.

Ark

http://i.imgur.com/QJRfj.png[IMG]

So Gaf, I went through my Nether Portal on the sever and ended up above and beyond. Now, I'm not the one for solitude but is there a way down from here without killing myself and losing my items or will I have to accept my fate and became a Hermit?[/QUOTE]

What're your Minecraft name? I can apparently still warp around and teleport, so I can fix that for you.

I'll get around to updating the plugins today too.

-Minsc-

Well, sure, if you don't like environmental damage.

I couldn't give less of a fuck about a creeper killing me, as there's no consequence for it, unless it's over a lava pit. Creeper explosions don't destroy the items you drop. I only care about environmental damage, because that's what makes creepers awesome.

The "problem" is people who don't like environmental damage would not tolerate it, and the people who like it WILL tolerate the LACK of it. So, the "compromise" is to turn it off.

I do see your point and there is a part of me which would like to see environment damage on. Land damage is not a problem, throw some dirt in the hole you're good to go. If I'm walking around my own build and a swarm of creepers blows a big chunk out of a building I'll be able to fix it. Sure it would be an inconvenience but I know what I built so I could piece it back together.

Here's where things get tricky. I'm out exploring another's build, it's a real work of art. You can tell the person invested a huge amount of time in the progress. Suddenly you're blown up by a swarm of creepers. I'd be all for rebuilding the structure but where do I start? I have nothing to go on but a brief memory. Add to that I'd have to go gather resources my foggy memory of the building would be even foggier. Throw a complex redstone circuit in the mix I'll be completely lost. Could the original builder fix it? Sure, unfortunately this person no longer plays. Now this work of art is lost, no longer can it be enjoyed by other users.

When I think survival, it's player survival. You say there's no player loss to a death by creeper? The exp slowly built up over a week would tell you otherwise.

If possible I'd be all for having creeper "safe zones". This way we can have the best of both worlds.

Blizzard

Banned
In a perfect world, there would be some in-game solution. Some kind of creeper ward, or something.

Alas, we do not live in a perfect world.
Since it's not a perfect world (and griefers would destroy the creeper wards when no one is looking and the server presumably wouldn't identify it), then leaving creeper player damage on but turning creeper environmental damage off seems like a good compromise to me.

Mengy

Since it's not a perfect world (and griefers would destroy the creeper wards when no one is looking and the server presumably wouldn't identify it), then leaving creeper player damage on but turning creeper environmental damage off seems like a good compromise to me.

Yeah, we can't have creeper environmental damage turned on, that just would never work on a multiplayer server unless it was a griefing or pvp server. Neither of which Neocraft is. Endermen were bad enough for a time there, just imagine if everyone logged on to find craters and holes in all their shit...

-Minsc-

I'm sure there's likely a way to have creeper damage on and off in different areas of the map using certain plugins. How complex it would be to set it up would be the question.

Mengy

As for the map, I'm going to start one tonight. I wanted to wait until we had some stuff built in the jungle biome first, which we now have. Should be up in a day or two, I'll post it here when it's ready.

Yeah, the online map update is gonna have to wait. Apparently the tectonicus map software does not work with the new anvil minecraft world format. They are updating it to work, but it's not fixed yet, so there won't be a new online map until then.

Unless someone can suggest a different mapping tool that works since the patch?

MackVee

Neo Member
What're your Minecraft name? I can apparently still warp around and teleport, so I can fix that for you.

I'll get around to updating the plugins today too.

And, I may be able to get you out now, with a bit of work and the F3 coords. If you are on at the same time I am, I may be able to find you in the nether and poke a hole thru the bedrock ceiling, allowing you to fall down into the "true" nether. What times are you normally online?
I took the plunge and killed myself, my items are not worth the effort. Ta though, appreciate the offer.

Ark, I've just donated to the server, hope it helps mate.

Morokh

Ark while you're looking at the plugins you might want to consider something like that, to prevent mobs from glitching through blocks (if there is not something else that you already have that does the same)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1110983-125smpbukkitssp-bettersmp-almost-fix-for-mobs-glitching-through-walls/

cause .. well my mob spawner works .. but it's pretty crazy xD don't really know if there is an normal in-game way to fix things like this but I did the same design as in my single player world and did not have mob-glitching issues.

just imagine if everyone logged on to find craters and holes in all their shit...

I am imagining it, and it pleases me.

Like I said, the people who don't like environmental damage absolutely will not tolerate it. The people who do like it will tolerate the lack of it. So the "compromise", which isn't even a compromise at all - hence the quotes! - is to turn it off completely. Depressing.

Can't say as it'd please me - and that's from somebody who's never played on a server where Creepers can't damage the environment, so I'm relatively used to it.

Then again, the server in question is small, so the craters don't occur very often.

rezuth

So six months later since I complained and stopped playing pretty much. Has these stuff been fixed yet?

- AI
- NPCs
- Quests
- Mod support
- Friendslist

Blizzard

Banned
I am imagining it, and it pleases me.

Like I said, the people who don't like environmental damage absolutely will not tolerate it. The people who do like it will tolerate the lack of it. So the "compromise", which isn't even a compromise at all - hence the quotes! - is to turn it off completely. Depressing.
It is a compromise because it (player damage, no environment) compromises between having complete (player + environment) creeper damage and having no (neither player nor environment) creeper damage.

I do not mean to be rude, but just to make an observation -- if I recall correctly, you have laughed or said something like "ha, awesome" when someone had their constructions griefed by other player(s) with lava, and screenshots of the damage were posted. So, even though you might never grief yourself, I think it's fair to say your opinion on environmental damage (I think you expressed a similar opinion regarding endermen damage in previous discussions) and griefing may not be shared by the majority of players.

Finally took the plunge and jumped on the server. All I can say is I am awestruck. I watch this thread and see the screenshots and comment everyonce in a while but wow... Fantastic work guys.

legacyzero

Banned
Finally took the plunge and jumped on the server. All I can say is I am awestruck. I watch this thread and see the screenshots and comment everyonce in a while but wow... Fantastic work guys.
You aint seen ANYTHING yet. Wait until those plugins get fixed. Skycity is gonna EXPLODE.

-Minsc-

Some quick Neolulu shots I snapped before I headed off.

It can be a lot to take in. There's still a crap load of stuff I haven't gone to look at yet. One of these days.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
We updated the Chat in Yeticraft to include several channels, and most importantly, faction specific chat channels. Also added a change to the death messages to make them more interesting.

If you haven't seen the library puppetshadow is building, you should really check it out:
pox02.png

iytEC.png

Amazing work.

Blizzard

Banned
The sheer scale of the constructions some people make is crazy. I remember even back in the free online Minecraft days, though people used cheat commands to help build faster or whatever, it was still awe-inspiring to see enormous hill ranges or fortresses or vertigo-inducing towers that you could jump from.

Morokh

One thing really intrigues me ..

I made a skeleton XP farm on the server with a 2x1 mobavator leading to a 2x1 fall, so the 'kill chamber' is 2x1 too and I got mobs glitching through like crazy when there are like 5-6 of them (they seem to roam the entire room, but they are still in the kill chamber, they even push you if you are some blocks away from them) otherwise it works just fine but it's skeleton crazyness all over the room xD

On the other side when I look at the Blaze XP farm, the kill chamber is also 2x1, with the mobs falling on top of each other, and it's way less glitchy.

Does anyone understand why that could be ? I know mobs are a little trickier to work with in SMP, but if there is a way to reduce the annoyance i'm all ears.

If you want to check out the skeleton spawner the temporary entrance is on the left of my pagoda hidden behind some vines (be careful not to fall !! ) i'll be making a proper one on the beach once it's a bit further finished.

I also lit up a big area of the caves and the abandoned mineshaft around (I think i found a possible slime chunk too) and secured a few spawners, there is one dungeon spider spawner (?), two or three zombie dungeon spawners, and a place where there are 2 cave spider spawners like 10 blocks from each other.

But there is still a lot of things to grab even in the shafts I visited some chests I didn't empty and if you go further, clearly a lot left to explore.

The community mine has an entrance to the abandoned mineshaft on the way down. (but be careful there is a not-so-secured cave spider spawner nearby)

Mengy

I built a nether portal building at spawn on Neocraft, and linked it to the portal network in the nether. So now with the warps down and beds not working, if you die (and go all the way back to spawn) you can quickly enter the nether and use a portal to get back to where you were fast.

Also, something else I noticed last night. I have a mob grinder in my fortress. It uses spawning platforms laced with signs along the edges. The signs are there because the mobs see them as full blocks, not hollow, and they happily walk off the edges and plummet to their doom. Or at least, they used to. NOW, since the 1.2 patch when the mob AI got upgraded, they no longer walk off the edges!!! Signs don't do the job anymore, and all of my mobs spawning simply roam the platforms and never walk off the edges.

My huge mob grinder is useless now, and I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. Maybe I'll open it all up and turn it into a vertical Jungle biome. I'm gonna have to find a new way to build mob grinders....

Morokh

for mob spawners like yours search Monkeyfarm on Youtube, he built one with pistons and I think one pistonless on the same design for 1.2.3 so they should still work.

Ranger X

I built a nether portal building at spawn on Neocraft, and linked it to the portal network in the nether. So now with the warps down and beds not working, if you die (and go all the way back to spawn) you can quickly enter the nether and use a portal to get back to where you were fast.

Also, something else I noticed last night. I have a mob grinder in my fortress. It uses spawning platforms laced with signs along the edges. The signs are there because the mobs see them as full blocks, not hollow, and they happily walk off the edges and plummet to their doom. Or at least, they used to. NOW, since the 1.2 patch when the mob AI got upgraded, they no longer walk off the edges!!! Signs don't do the job anymore, and all of my mobs spawning simply roam the platforms and never walk off the edges.

My huge mob grinder is useless now, and I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. Maybe I'll open it all up and turn it into a vertical Jungle biome. I'm gonna have to find a new way to build mob grinders....

Oh damn, for real? :(
So fall damage mob grinders are gone for good. This means there won't be a way to farm Endermen anymore.

Water currents based mob grinders with a drowning tube are still working though as fas as I know. You can't kill Endermen with it but you can get everything else.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Oh damn, for real? :(
So fall damage mob grinders are gone for good. This means there won't be a way to farm Endermen anymore.

Do push farms still work? (Have a pressure plate that triggers a piston to push whatever's on the plate into a hole)

Mengy

Do push farms still work? (Have a pressure plate that triggers a piston to push whatever's on the plate into a hole)

Yeah, I built a blaze grinder in my new single player world that I started for 1.2 and it works beautifully. But that is in conjuction with a blaze spawner in a nether fortress. For an old school large spawning floor vertical mob grinder, I'm not sure how that would help.

I wonder, will mobs still walk off a two-block tall drop into a water current? If so, I could just run water flow alongside my spawning floors and push the mobs towards the vertical drop towards the middle of the grinder. I'll have to do some experimenting when I get the chance.

Ranger X

I wonder, will mobs still walk off a two-block tall drop into a water current? If so, I could just run water flow alongside my spawning floors and push the mobs towards the vertical drop towards the middle of the grinder. I'll have to do some experimenting when I get the chance.

As far as I know yes. I've been spelunking alot lately and I definetely still see mobs getting down 2 blocks or into the water.

Should still work. But it's tedious to build over multiple floors or if the mob grinder is huge. :(

Mengy

As far as I know yes. I've been spelunking alot lately and I definetely still see mobs getting down 2 blocks or into the water.

Good. I'd assume that the mob will walk off the edge and into water if the fall won't hurt them, and I doubt they are smart enough to "know" that the very water they are jumping into will push them off a ledge to their plummeting doom. So, time to redesign my grinder then.

It's a shame though, that defeats the entire point of the vertical fall damage grinder, which was killing speed. Now the time to kill a mob will be much greater. Oh well. Maybe I'll have to add more vertical spawning floors (but smaller floors) to counteract that. OH MY GOD, grinders can now go up to lvl 256! Maybe it's time for a hugely tall grinder....

Top Bottom